• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Case of Benedict Fox: Definitive Edition coming to PS5

Tsaki

The Last Case of Benedict Fox will run at full 4K and 60 frames per second to bring the nightmarish realm of trauma and tribulations to life. Step into gothic-era Boston as the eponymous self-proclaimed detective to experience the deep mauve haze, sinister spires, foreboding footpaths, and unnerving reverberations of Limbo.

Players of the original release on PC and Xbox Series X|S praised Fox's rich atmosphere, compelling narrative, and clever puzzles, but some critics raised issues with the game's slower-paced combat and platforming mechanics. The PlayStation 5 version, considered the definitive edition, boasts dramatic control and speed improvements to combat and platforming gameplay, which, combined, significantly better the experience. Furthermore, enhancements to visuals, user interface, enemy artificial intelligence, puzzles, and more have also been introduced alongside new gameplay features.

Key Features

• Descend into Limbo – Benedict Fox's bond with his demon companion allows him to descend into the consciousness of a deceased person, placing him into the world of Limbo. The mind is a dangerous place – with powerful emotions and painful memories! As the detective uncovers more clues, Limbo shifts and danger lurks.
  • Demon-Enhanced Combat System – Players will encounter ruthless and dangerous enemies on their journey to solve the case. Utilize a combination of various objects, environmental surroundings, weapons, and traversal abilities to overcome danger that awaits.
  • A Grim Mystery – As Benedict settles into the colonial manor of the family he is investigating, a rich and tragic story unfolds as he explores their intimate and disturbing story.
  • Burtonesque Art Style – Become entranced by the dramatic gothic cinematic visual design inspired by film noir and Lovecraftian nightmares as you explore, traverse and progress through Limbo on your journey to solve the last case of Benedict Fox.
  • PlayStation 5 Improvements – Completely overhauled combat and platforming mechanics allow for a slicker, speedier experience. Enhancements to visuals / user interface / and enemy artificial intelligence make this the definitive experience for fans of gothic Metroidvanias.

xrnzaaas

Tried the game in Game Pass... bad controls (especially during combat) and it can be very frustrating when the game doesn't give you any clues what to do next. So you basically either play with a guide or waste hours trying to solve what the devs want from you. I only liked the visuals.

The way it reads suggests Xbox version has gotten none of these improvements. It certainly is just as up-to-date as the PS5 release will be. There are no differences across the versions other than the buttons being called symbols vs letters. Shame it didn't do so well on Game Pass. Xbox pushed the game hard in early 2023 and treated it as a first-party title, but it just lacked polish.

Last edited:

Roberts

Well, it is definitely not coming out in a state it initially released on xbox - the game with great atmosphere and interesting metroidvania mechanics but really rough performance and controls. They eventually fixed most of that and I think it turned out to be a pretty and entertaining indie.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well, it is definitely not coming out in a state it initially released on xbox - the game with great atmosphere and interesting metroidvania mechanics but really rough performance and controls. They eventually fixed most of that and I think it turned out to be a pretty and entertaining indie.
One of my favorite indies of the year. Little rough around the edges but the potential was always there. Couldnt put it down until I finished it.

Spitfire098

Is it safe to assume all money hats for xbox+gamepass that are not first party will eventually come to ps?

High on life wasn't really worth the wait for me. The medium was alright. Hopefully this is good.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
eat big brother GIF by Big Brother After Dark

Reactions: GHG

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hopefully the improvements to the controls and shit are rolled back into Xbox / PC as well.

and it can be very frustrating when the game doesn't give you any clues what to do next. So you basically either play with a guide or waste hours trying to solve what the devs want from you. I only liked the visuals.
skill-issue-idk-man-skill-issue.gif

These types of adventure games are supposed to be difficult man, they invite creativity and wit, and punish complacency. There should be some teething when oldskool developers create games for a newer generation.

Roberts

Is it safe to assume all money hats for xbox+gamepass that are not first party will eventually come to ps?

High on life wasn't really worth the wait for me. The medium was alright. Hopefully this is good.

Most do. From the top of my head I can only think of one that didn’t make it to PS and it was Echo Generation (I had a blast with it)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

This is where I'm at.

I just patiently wait now. Too many games magically get a PS5 version.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
The way it reads suggests Xbox version has gotten none of these improvements. It certainly is just as up-to-date as the PS5 release will be. There are no differences across the versions other than the buttons being called symbols vs letters. Shame it didn't do so well on Game Pass. Xbox pushed the game hard in early 2023 and treated it as a first-party title, but it just lacked polish.

Hopefully the improvements to the controls and shit are rolled back into Xbox / PC as well.
Looks like the fixes already came earlier this month.

Well unless Xbox keeps paying the developers I assume so.

bender

What time is it?
Tried the game in Game Pass... bad controls (especially during combat) and it can be very frustrating when the game doesn't give you any clues what to do next. So you basically either play with a guide or waste hours trying to solve what the devs want from you. I only liked the visuals.

I didn't make it far enough in to get frustrated because of the control issues you mentioned.

xrnzaaas

skill-issue-idk-man-skill-issue.gif

These types of adventure games are supposed to be difficult man, they invite creativity and wit, and punish complacency. There should be some teething when oldskool developers create games for a newer generation.
No, there are games that are supposed to be difficult and have you use your brain, and there are cases where it's just bad design. Benedict Fox is the latter, I don't have a problem with metroidvanias not holding your hand.

GHG

This game is just not good. Ended up refunding it on Steam.

If you need to provide an auto solve option for puzzles then it's an admission that your puzzles are either not any good nor are they important for the experience you want your players to have (so why have them there in the first place). The game is just poorly thought out in almost every way. Style over substance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom