• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LRG Sales Splits For Persona Game Releases Leak, Xbox Under 5K Units Across P3 and P4, LRG Can't Justify Xbox Releases Anymore

LakeOf9

image.png

image.png

Saw this floating around on Discord, the source is apparently the other forum.

Anyway, Xbox sales are dead, it's no wonder Microsoft is pulling out of the physical sector, and retailers are stopping stocking Xbox games.

As a reminder, LRG just needs sales of 5,000 units to justify a print run - they are saying they can't get those, not even on actual big name games like Persona.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Persona 3 and 4 were day 1 on GP when they got ported. Personally, I really didnt need to buy it with an overpriced case when I already had it downloaded. I got part 4 when it left GP. No point buying part 3 when a better version is coming.

LRKD

Honestly not surprised, there was every reason not to buy that game on xbox... Not sure how this is even news :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyways I don't see it talked about enough so.... Why were they charging an extra 30$ for the "grimoire" edition, and the only difference between that and the regular, was 2 extra cases and a slipcove. Who the in the hell wants that many cases for a single game?????? I hate having more than one case for a game, and now having 4 cases for one game is supposed to be a selling point? And how can they justify the price increase of 30$ or like 2 peices of cardboard/paper, and a steelbook? Absolute insanity, LRG can't go out of business soon enough, and I say that as a huge supporter of physical goods.

Persona3Portable_MockUp_Market_Banner_Grimoire_SWITCH.png

Honestly not surprised, there was every reason not to buy that game on xbox... Not sure how this is even news :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyways I don't see it talked about enough so.... Why were they charging an extra 30$ for the "grimoire" edition, and the only difference between that and the regular, was 2 extra cases and a slipcove. Who the in the hell wants that many cases for a single game?????? I hate having more than one case for a game, and now having 4 cases for one game is supposed to be a selling point? And how can they justify the price increase of 30$ or like 2 peices of cardboard/paper, and a steelbook? Absolute insanity, LRG can't go out of business soon enough, and I say that as a huge supporter of physical goods.

For a small production run like that, it probably cost them most of that $30 to get the extra bits made

People don't really understand how expensive it gets to produce physical goods when you have very low production runs

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Then why are switch and playstation sales so low?
Don't know what you're talking about, obviously a nonsensical comment to defend your plastic box but you obviously miss understood my post.
Majority of games that LRG do are digital only games that you would find on Gamepass.
As a majority will have Gamepass they have access to those games and have no need to purchase them digitally or Physically
That in turn reduces sales which gives Publisher like LRG less incentive to release on that Platform.
Cause & Effect
It wasn't a dig, just a reality

StereoVsn

Yes, that bundle kind of sucked. However, to want LGR go out of business due to that is kind of crazy.

For all their faults, they are one of a few remaining companies pushing physical games. Their regular edition cost was ok as well.

I would rather deal with LGR than not have that option at all which would be the result. I did snag P4 and P3 regular editions from them despite my reservations because I wanted to have those copies for my SMT and Persona collection. Without LGR this wouldn’t be possible.

Oh, and no surprise for Xbox for a variety of reasons.

Ozriel

M$FT
Real story here is how few of these games LRG is able to sell. Aside that, it’s not some massive surprise that a series that’s skipped Xbox for a while and relaunched on GP isn’t getting that many takers on physical editions.

Game isn't free? But Phil and his father, Nutella said ALL games were free on gamepass!

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
These games were on Game Pass. They just left the service a couple weeks ago. Why would a company purposely make a boxed version of a game thats on Game pass?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Most of the audience for Persona are mostly on Playstation, gamepass or not most Xbox players (not all) are not in to JRPGs.

This is why I'm surprised Vanillaware decided to release Unicorn Overlord on Xbox.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Don't know what you're talking about, obviously a nonsensical comment to defend your plastic box but you obviously miss understood my post.
Majority of games that LRG do are digital only games that you would find on Gamepass.
As a majority will have Gamepass they have access to those games and have no need to purchase them digitally or Physically
That in turn reduces sales which gives Publisher like LRG less incentive to release on that Platform.
Cause & Effect
It wasn't a dig, just a reality
I don't own any plastic boxes. I was just pointing out that the sales figures were super low for all platforms - playstation is barely hitting that 5000 number which itself is painfully low. GIven the install bases, specifically for plastic boxes that can use physical disks (which it's stated they only do physical for these releases so not sure why you bring digital up), its doubtful that gamepass has anything to do with it. In fact given the low numbers I would imagine most of these copies are destined for a shelf rather than actually being played.

kiphalfton

What's the deal with LRG?

I'm assuming everybody hates them because they're predatory and cash in on people who want physical versions of digital only games?

If so, they're essentially scalpers?

bender

What time is it?
playstation is barely hitting that 5000 number which itself is painfully low.

10,000+ for each game on PS4. Small runs is the business model.

What's the deal with LRG?

I'm assuming everybody hates them because they're predatory and cash in on people who want physical versions of digital only games?

If so, they're essentially scalpers?

The most common complaint would be often taken a year+ to ship product. Their shipping prices are expensive and they charge extra for protective packaging which is kind of shitty considering their target audience is collectors and condition of the product is important to that audience.

Last edited:

rapid32.5

Can’t expect serious sales from PS2 era game on Xbox with GamePass and limitless digital library at your fingertips. Gaming landscape changes every year. It is pretty clear that PC&XB owners prefer digital releases mostly.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Fuck Limited Run Games.

hemo memo

Gold Member
A game with guns not selling on Xbox. That’s weird.

In all seriousness, it’s on GP so people would play it there.

Last edited:
10,000+ for each game on PS4. Small runs is the business model.

The most common complaint would be often taken a year+ to ship product. Their shipping prices are expensive and they charge extra for protective packaging which is kind of shitty considering their target audience is collectors and condition of the product is important to that audience.

To be fair, their shipping times have improved. For me at least, Castlevania Advance Collection and Persona 3 Portable arrived around 4 months after I ordered them, which is a big improvement.

bender

What time is it?
To be fair, their shipping times have improved. For me at least, Castlevania Advance Collection and Persona 3 Portable arrived around 4 months after I ordered them, which is a big improvement.

Shipping times vary depending on title and edition so it is hard to say they've improved. My P3 hasn't fulfilled but I ordered it with P4 so that's probably the hold up. My Alien Isolation and Trip World DX haven't shipped yet either and those are from May of 2023.

They probably wait until they have enough orders of things and then manufacture a batch and ship them out

This is not uncommon with small boutique products of any kind, the wait sucks but they aren't sitting on your money to be dicks to you, they literally need at least x number of orders before they can get things made by whoever they pay to make the products

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It seems xbox doesn't add any value to the market.

No doubt you will regret that if they leave. A monopoly by one company is always fun. They release the best stuff, spend even more on games, release lots of new hardware, and lower prices regularly. Oh wait........

As to these games, why would anyone be surprised that old persona games don't sell well on xbox, it's not exactly the kind of game the average xbox gamer is buying.

Last edited:
No doubt you will regret that if they leave. A monopoly by one company is always fun. They release the best stuff, spend even more on games, release lots of new hardware, and lower prices regularly. Oh wait........

As to these games, why would anyone be surprised that old persona games don't sell well on xbox, it's not exactly the kind of game the average xbox gamer is buying.
Have you seen how fucked up the industry is, buddy?

cireza

Most of the audience for Persona are mostly on Playstation, gamepass or not most Xbox players (not all) are not in to JRPGs.

This is why I'm surprised Vanillaware decided to release Unicorn Overlord on Xbox.
Xbox players are not buying collectors editions for a game available in Game Pass. Hurry, push some narrative !

If releasing RPGs on Xbox was such a train wreck, then why are there so many being released to begin with ? Give it a couple seconds of thoughts.

People are obsessed with physical (I personally prefer physical) but obviously digital sales exist...

Top Bottom