• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTF: Paper Mario Sticker Star

dJyC94e.png

Credit to Ms.Galaxy for the image. :v

LTTF means Late to the Funeral, because edge

Anyway I was writing this up for the 52 games thread, but it started to get kind of long so I was convinced by a friend to just make a thread for it. To note, no matter how harsh my comments are, these are opinions. I am not judging someone for liking Sticker Star - if you like it, more power to you. These are merely my thoughts on this game after having played it and beat every level in it. *ahem*

What a fucking travesty this game was. While I was writing this (and playing it), I was kind of debating whether it was appropriate to give it only a 1 out of 10. It looks nice, it sounds nice, and it is competently designed – I can't think of any glitches. But that almost makes it worse – that they had this product, this terrible thing, and its poor quality doesn't even have an excuse. At least when I play Sonic 06, I can attest to its quality being reflected in being a super rush job. Here though? This is the product they intended to launch. What they wanted to make was something shitty. Most people who know the arguments about the game know about the points – battling, story, etc. But I'll talk about them anyway!

--Story--

The thing with Sticker Star is that people really do make the mistake of mis-ascribing its story issues. Sticker Star's issue isn't a lack of characters, dialogue, and story – it has plenty of that. Characters, Kersti especially, never know when to shut the hell up and just let me play the game. The story is all too present, and it just infuriates me, because just like how they decided to keep RPG mechanics in a game they do not consider an RPG, they decided that a game with a barebones story should still be somewhat dialogue-heavy. You want to make New Super Mario Bros.? Whatever, do it, but don't do half measures. If you don't care about the story, don't pretend like you do.

The game also suffers immensely with rrespect to a lack of unique story/setting elements. The plot is your basic generic Mario shit – Peach got captured, Bowser did it. It's SO generic that they didn't even let Bowser be a real character; he was just a mindless baddy. They even try to give him a goofy personality near the end when he's caught trying to fuck with shit again, as if ignoring how much they wasted him. Again, give me generic Bowser or give me good Bowser. Don't be lazy and then cheaply try to make up for it in the end. Going beyond that? The only character I vaguely enjoyed was Wiggler, partly because he represents the only enemy-character in the game that isn't a villain. No more do we get good Koopa Troopas and good Goombas – now they're just baddies. And the Toads. Oh god, the Toads. I don't know which I find more absurd – the fact that they put so little effort into NPC design, or the fact that they actually tried to spin it as them trying to challenge themselves creatively. Because apparently, it's really creative to say “Green Toads live in the forest.”

Kersti sucks, by the way. I never came to enjoy her as a character, and found her to really only contribute the act of making Navi more likable by comparison. Kersti complains a lot, adds very little mechanically to the game, and fuck did they ever blow it with her “sacrifice.” Mah gawd was it a bad scene – I actually laughed at how shitty and out of nowhere it was! It was such a blatant “forced sympathy” moment, where they did nothing to endear her to me for the entire game, had no build-up to this, and yet decided that this sacrifice (that ultimately doesn't have her losing her life in any capacity) was a good story beat. It was just so lousy and lazy to the point of pity from me. I can only assume that the designers had some pride in this game. Like I said, they made something competent in terms of looking and sounding nice, but it's evident that the Vanpool designers came in without a clue of how this should be done.

--Enemies and boss fights--

The enemies suck. There's SO little variety. You can really tell that they got lazy here because so many of the enemies are just shiny versions of each other. Granted PM did that too, but at least there was creativity involved. The second level Goomba? Well that's a Gloomba! And with that a graphical glitch in SMB1 became a new character. Then we had Hyper Goombas, which had the gimmick of powering themselves up a whole bunch. And of course, we had the Paragoombas and Spiked Goombas (which existed in Gloom and Hyper forms). It just feels so empty and soulless in terms of the designs, particularly because of a mandate that disallowed creative enemy designs. We couldn't even get Clefts from Paper Mario!

Oh, and the boss fights suck too. The only boss fight I can say I care about or even really remember aside from Bowser (and he's only because his fight sucked) was Gooper Blooper. It had a neat rhythm mechanic, which was frankly neat to the point of me thinking “imagine if every fight had that, every fight would be kind of neat!” But ultimately, it's still not a good fight because all of the bosses require some degree of trial-and-error. You simply cannot know what item you may or may not need for that fight, and may wind up wasting a lot of items and time if you just try experimenting. Looking at the Bowser battle, the Bowser battle was the worst elements of every boss for me. It feels like the final boss of SMB1, not the final boss of a game with any real degree of story. The music isn't very good. Bowser's final form looks stupid. And of course, you need several stickers, specific stickers, for the fight to be viable. I have no idea what they were thinking with this game.

As for the battle system itself, I really, truly despise this thing, and it may be the very reason I hate this game with the passion that I do. It's never fun, and relies on the cheapest shit imaginable. People talk about how it's a myth that skipping battles is a good idea, and I'll just say nope. It is not. I skipped as many battles as I could, and only once did I ever find myself short on coins (but only as a result of me buying in bulk a ton of items – I had like 4000 coins at one point!). The battles were not fun and the game super simplifies everything. Instead of having a variety of ways to combat enemies – like the Hammer mechanic in PM games – you just hit A, and for a lot of attacks, you just have to guess until you figure it out. By not having unique rewards that are exclusive to battles, the battles are simply worthless and a huge distraction.

--Levels and the World Map--

The levels are bad, I dislike them a lot. They often look nice, and to their credit the early game stuff was kind of okay, but once it got more complicated, it became tedious and shitty. Every fight, every obstacle, they felt actively like things to bemoan rather than things to anticipate. You can't just have something obnoxious and unfun in your way, you need to have an engaging challenge. SS simply does not do that. It's also really poorly paced, where worlds 1 and 2 are standard affairs and then world 3 goes off the rails with like 10 levels! Just out of nowhere! I've seen people cite world 3 as “The good one”, but for me it's the worst. It introduces so many of the problems in the game, and frankly, it communicates the problems of this game better than any level. After that, the pacing issues take a different turn – levels that are MUCH longer than would be appropriate, and levels that are absurdly short, lasting literally a couple of minutes. What also gets me is that people describe this game as being a puzzle-adventure game, but as far as that goes, it really doesn't do that well at all. Any game in the series before it did overworld puzzles better than this; so many of the puzzles are simply trying to figure out which sticker should go where. OTOH, in TTYD you had Flurrie who could reveal secret places; you had Koops who could hit/retrieve faraway objects; you had Bobbery who could destroy obstacles and break walls; etc. etc. etc. What, exactly, does this game do to earn the label of being a puzzle-focused game when it doesn't even do that well?

Oh, and a couple QOL complaints, there is absolutely NO reason in the world why I'm not automatically healed after leaving a level. It isn't difficult to do, it just takes an extra half a minute. Often times, I'm in a rush to do the next level, so this results in me forgetting that they made such a strange design decision. The second QOL issue is that you cannot leave certain levels by pushing start, and the reason is almost exclusively arbitrary. The most egregious example for me was 6-3, the final level. You didn't have a save point or a healing point, and you couldn't quickly leave the level. However, you could absolutely walk back to the entrance after the Kamek fight in half a minute and save, heal, do whatever. There is no reason to not have convenient heal/save points if healing/saving isn't hard, but long.

Overall, going back to it, Sonic 06 really is a better game than this, for me. I can at least have a laugh at it, and while it is definitely shitty, you can tell it's a worse game than the designers wanted, so you can kind of feel bad for their situation. Metroid: Other M is a better game than this. Shitty misogynist story sure, but at least the game is playable and has some occasional fun factor in that respect. Sticker Star is ultimately maybe the worst Nintendo game I've ever played, and I am not embarrassed to admit, this game made me angry. Like, really really angry, for a variety of reasons. Whether it's that I didn't just “know” that I needed a certain sticker, or because the game asks me to do more than I need to do to accomplish very little, or just being reminded of how nice it would have been to have an actual story with good characters while the game is vomiting pointless dialogue at me, but I just found it absolutely to be the worst time I've ever had beating a game from beginning to end.

Also this thread I just did in one draft without editing or tightening so sorry if it's a lot of rambling and complaining about Sticker Star. :v

If they didn't change the combat system and thing stickers were permanent (but required cool downs, maybe through battles) it could've been ok.
As is, it's a very polished and charming broken game that's just bad.
No clue how anyone at Nintendo looked at this and went "this is fine"

Ms.Galaxy

How can you have a Paper Mario game where Bowser doesn't talk?

HOW?!

I blame Miyamoto, like, seriously too. The game was shaping out to be The Thousand Year Door 2, but he flipped that idea and wanted everything to be more generic, have less story, and thought the sticker idea was great.

Sonic 06 a better game...? Ok leaving the thread.

Sonic 06 was hilarious in how bad and rushed it was, there was never a moment where you couldn't stop laughing at just how horrible it was. For me, and likely for ALTTP, Paper Mario Sticker Star was bad but also polished and a slog. There was nothing funny about how bad it was, just boring and tedious.

Sonic 06 a better game...? Ok leaving the thread.

100%, absolutely so. Sonic 06 has a stupid story and it has a lot of the same problems that a lot of the 3D Sonics had, but ultimately being rushed out the door and the resulting game-breaking glitches and load times made it a monumentally worse game. Like I said, I absolutely had some moments in Sonic 06 that were decent. Sticker Star gave me nothing of that.

Reset

This is easily the worst game of last generation. The battles are complete waste of time, I didn't enjoy any of the puzzles, and I don't even remember what the game's plot was. I was so bored of it, that when I reached/beat the desert level I stopped playing it. I didn't want to waste my time anymore.

I only paid like $5 for this piece of shit, but I still feel ripped off.

Boney

Banned
The levels and platforming not are nicely done. Battle economy is all messed up but it gets blown out of proportion.

Biske

Hahahaha 1 out of 10? Naaaaaaaaah. Scores mean nothing to me, that kind of implication... just wow.

You have tons of valid criticism, but that's insane.

This is a quality game, that is certainly worth playing. I had such a great time with it.

I feel like peoples outrageous dislike of this game comes more from what they want the game to be, than anything the game actually is.

Hahahaha 1 out of 10? Naaaaaaaaah. Scores mean nothing to me, that kind of implication... just wow.

This is a quality game, that is certainly worth playing. I had such a great time with it.

I feel like peoples outrageous dislike of this game comes more from what they want the game to be, than anything the game actually is.

What the game is though is a turned based action game with no real progression or compelling narrative or characters, unlike the last 3 games. The game should be slammed, HARD.

Ferrio

Banned
Worst Mario since the CD-I game. I thought I was missing something to the game until I started reading other people's impressions.

Biske

What the game is though is a turned based action game with no real progression or compelling narrative or characters, unlike the last 3 games. The game should be slammed, HARD.

Totally, but saying this is a 1 out of 10 game? Have you folks ever played bad games? There are tons of games I consider bad, tons of games I would never touch again, but 1 out of 10? That kind of feeling for this game. Most BAD games are like 2 or 3-4 out of 10 if you have to put a number on it. At worst, this game can be considered a 6 to 7 kind of game (I'd go an 8 or so) but claiming its THAT bad? I can't even fathom it.

My basis was on enjoyment combined with flaws of the game. For me, the best case scenario was that I wasn't annoyed or frustrated by the game.

I remember when I was innocent and pure though - I went into this game, ready to give it every chance in the world, and for the first world, I was able to appreciate certain elements of it. But then the slog came...

Totally, but saying this is a 1 out of 10 game? Have you folks ever played bad games? There are tons of games I consider bad, tons of games I would never touch again, but 1 out of 10? That kind of feeling for this game. Most BAD games are like 2 or 3-4 out of 10 if you have to put a number on it. At worst, this game can be considered a 6 to 7 kind of game (I'd go an 8 or so) but claiming its THAT bad? I can't even fathom it.

Ohohoho, no, I'd never rank it as high as a 6. I think the highest I could ever give it, and this would be generous from me, is like a 4. If I was doing an actual review, I would probably weigh the polish and competence, but since it's a personal review, I can only go on the quality I felt was there + my experience with it (which was perhaps one of the most negative I've had in a game).

Bakkus

The score deserves to be lowered because of what the game and it's upcoming sequel represents.

D.Va

Neo Member
I paid $40

deadtumblr_m17m29Gimg1r68yri.gif

LOL I actually snorted.

Edit: I will never forgive Nintendo (Miyamoto) for destroying the one franchise that I had loved completely. I don't even really like Mario platformers, and I'll casually play Smash Bros, but man my love for Paper Mario 1 & 2 is unmatched and will always be top tier.

An RPG that has no story, where you don't get exp from battles, and the only rewards for battling is getting items, but stocking up on coins and items is useless because boss battles are generally beat using specific items you have to find in random locations.

It is a masterclass of horrible ideas and wasting the players time. It's actually unfathomable how some of these ideas even got off the drawing board. It's a complete an total disaster. One of Nintendo's worst first party titles ever if not the worst. I don't think I can overstate how much I hate this game.

Bladenic

Miyamoto ruined the Paper Mario franchise. It went slightly down with SPM but that game still had a lot of positives. SS could've been a return to form, but because of him, the franchise is now shit. What sucks is that SS was somehow the highest selling in the franchise, which is just awful.

Ninjimbo

It's in my top five 3DS games. I think the game underneath is so solid that I didn't mind not having some grand epic story to keep me going. Playing through a level was satisfying enough.

Ms.Galaxy

The score deserves to be lowered because of what the game and it's upcoming sequel represents.

It's a hyperbole, but Paper Mario Sticker Star and Color Splash, after the comments made by the assistant producer, represents of the death of the original concept of the game, which was always "Mario's Story".

Reset

An RPG that has no story, where you don't get exp from battles, and the only rewards for battling is getting items, but stocking up on coins and items is useless because boss battles are generally beat using specific items you have to find in random locations.

The only way to attack is to use stickers as well. So there are zero reasons to enter a battle when your rewards are stickers and coins. I have no idea how anyone can defend this awful battle system.

I paid $40

I feel sorry for you. :|

Biske

I'd say this too, yeah. Not that it had a huge influence on the score, but the tarnish on the series definitely has some influence.

This is what I am talking about though, when people talk about this game it seems a big part of it is not this game, but the dissatisfaction of where the series has gone.

I too want another Thousand Year Door type game and am disappointed, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying this game for what it is.

I both crave another TYD and am super hyped for Color Splash.

This is what I am talking about though, when people talk about this game it seems a big part of it is not this game, but the dissatisfaction of where the series has gone.

I too want another Thousand Year Door type game and am disappointed, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying this game for what it is.

I both crave another TYD and am super hyped for Color Splash.

This is the only time I've mentioned TTYD in this thread. As I note, I went into Sticker Star pleased as punch to give this different game the chance to impress me. I have no affiliation with any such "TTYD2 or bust" camp. I'm perfectly happy getting weird sequels, but they have to actually be enjoyable.

Kthulhu

I paid $40

I preordered this game man.

Your right. The only way it could've gotten a 1 out of 10 was if my 3DS fucking exploded in my hands, because that's the only way this game could've been any worse.

The sequel is going to suck, and anyone who buys this game or Color Splash should have their wallet taken away so they don't continue to enable Nintendo's shitty decisions in regards to this franchise.

Biske

This is the only time I've mentioned TTYD in this thread. As I note, I went into Sticker Star pleased as punch to give this different game the chance to impress me. I have no affiliation with any such "TTYD2 or bust" camp. I'm perfectly happy getting weird sequels, but they have to actually be enjoyable.

Fair enough.

Frankly though I find the reaction to these games so overblown, that I kind of hope they never change and make 50 more of them to just keep annoying people :p :D

The sequel is going to suck, and anyone who buys this game or Color Splash should have their wallet taken away so they don't continue to enable Nintendo's shitty decisions in regards to this franchise.

You can pry my copy of Color Splash and my wallet out of my cold dead color stained fingers.

I preordered this game man.

Your right. The only way it could've gotten a 1 out of 10 was if my 3DS fucking exploded in my hands, because that's the only way this game could've been any worse.

I own it digitally, so I can't even sell it.

Mory Dunz

I really don't like this game, but

the music isn't very good

Nah. I think the music is excellent. I listen to OST frequently.
It's probably the closest I'll come to ever touching this thing.

Ninjimbo

Most of my post has nothing to do with the story. In fact, I suggest in the OP that the story isn't even the biggest problem of the game for me.
A significant part of your post harping on it, but yeah, it's not your only problem. I can't I agree with anything you stated in your post though.

The battle system is probably the game's biggest achievement for me since it balances the resource management of something like Resident Evil with turn based action combat. I feel like the game rewarded me just fine with unique stickers and coins for performing well. I got into as many battles as I wanted just to stock up on stuff and it was fun because I get a kick out of finding the most efficient path to victory.

Naturally that translates over to the boss fights which I found fun and the level design which rewarded exploration and, in general, has rocking music to listen to. The manner in which I approached the game, in how I thought about different sets of attacks and how I was going to be progress in a level was unlike any game I have ever played.

I honestly think approaching it like an RPG is a bad idea which is why a lot of RPG fans give the game such a rough time. It's something completely different.

I can't think of a single game that plays like SS. I want more to be honest. Bring on Color Splash.

Ms.Galaxy

At least Dream Team was fun, despite the overabundance of tutorials.

I can agree a bit that I had fun, but only half way. I got bored rather quickly though.

Also, the game had a tutorial on how to jump after I learned how to jump a while ago, the tutorials are not only plentiful, but insulting to anyone with a brain.

Top Bottom