• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War

This series seems to be a favorite of alot of people here so I thought I'd give it a shot. Never played a game in the series before and I think I must really be missing something.

So far, my impressions are that all I'm doing is coasting around incredibly slowly at like 2 mph shooting at dots on the horizon. If an enemy plane gets close, God forbid it turns because then I'll have to sit there for 10 seconds slowly turning to try and catch it - even tilting and thrusting doesn't go that quickly. It just doesn't feel like I'm blazing around in a high-powered fighter jet, more like a floating shopping cart.

The dialog is painful, it keeps making me wince.

The visuals are amazing, it practically looks next gen. But that's the only nice thing I have to say about it at the moment.

Am I missing something here? I'm >< this close to trading it in. Is there some kind of hook to the gameplay, like Ridge Racer's drifting that I'm overlooking? I think that's what I thought coming in- that Ace Combat would be to fighter jets what Ridge Racer is to sports cars. Do the later planes get alot faster than the granny jets you start off with? Can you maintain more close-quarters dogfights as you get better, or is it shoot-from-afar strafe-strafe-damn-he-turned-turning-turning-turning-strafe-strafe all the way through?

I want to like this game, GAF! But I'm about a day away from turning it into Lost Planet or something.

Amir0x

Banned
1. You started on arguably the worst Ace Combat game. ACZ is significantly inferior to Ace Combat 4, Ace Combat 1, 3, even 5 and the PSP game.

2. The aircraft DO get much faster as you go on. But, you shouldn't be having so much trouble turning. You should be able to maneuver fairly quickly (of course, this is a flight game... arcade or not, you can't just make a ****ing 180 turn on a dime or something), so it seems like you just don't have a great handle on controls. Try training.

3. Re: dialogue. It's an arcade flight game, are you really interested in dialogue? Well, if so, then Ace Combat 4 is your best bet... they did some really cool shit with the way they told the story, and it's the best in the series from that perspective.

4. Yes, you will improve. What kind of question is that? I can tail them bitches with insane precision.

Amir0x said:
1. You started on arguably the worst Ace Combat game. ACZ is significantly inferior to Ace Combat 4, Ace Combat 1, 3, even 5 and the PSP game.

Really? And I was going to get the PSP one instead too.

2. The aircraft DO get much faster as you go on. But, you shouldn't be having so much trouble turning. You should be able to maneuver fairly quickly (of course, this is a flight game... arcade or not, you can't just make a ****ing 180 turn on a dime or something), so it seems like you just don't have a great handle on controls. Try training.

I don't see a dedicated training mode - which is a shame because this was an impulse buy of a cheapo used copy with no instructions.

3. Re: dialogue. It's an arcade flight game, are you really interested in dialogue? Well, if so, then Ace Combat 4 is your best bet... they did some really cool shit with the way they told the story, and it's the best in the series from that perspective.

Well okay, but that doesn't mean it's alright that it's awful.

4. Yes, you will improve. What kind of question is that?

Just wanted to know if the game was designed as a hyper-real destroy everyone from a mile away type game.

I can tail them bitches with insane precision.

That's what I like to hear.

just play Ace Combat IV, 5 is pretty good too but play 4 first. The controls take a little bit of getting used to and the sense of speed isn't there but its great anyway!

Amir0x

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
Really? And I was going to get the PSP one instead too.

Yeah the PSP game works surprisingly well, even control-wise. Only problem is the scenarios aren't as cool as some of the other AC games like AC4 and 3.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I don't see a dedicated training mode - which is a shame because this was an impulse buy of a cheapo used copy with no instructions.

It's been a minute since I played ACZ, but there's no practice mode which takes you through the basics of the controls and such? Odd, I thought there was.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Well okay, but that doesn't mean it's alright that it's awful.

I guess, it's just not something I really focused on given the nature of the gameplay. However, like I said, AC4 is not bad from this perspective... they did some really cool shit with the storytelling.

usea

Zero sits just behind 04 as my favorite in the series. 0 has slightly better gameplay, but 04's storytelling is so incredible that it can't be topped. I'd recommend strongly against trading it in, the game not only gets better with each mission, but it gets better as you become accustomed to the controls.

There is some chance that maybe you don't enjoy air combat games, but I think it's more likely that you just need to give it a little more time.

I don't see where the dislike for 0 comes from in comparison to the other games, but the whole series is pretty great so it doesn't matter much. I would definitely put 5 far below 0 and 04 though.

Okay, I just spent an hour at it, and I think I've kind of broken through to what the gameplay's about. I wasn't using thrust enough (ie. just about constantly) and I didn't have a handle on the way the tilting/rolling worked. I'm getting a little more into it now, getting better at locking onto guys.

Incidentally, how long is this game?

Amir0x said:
Yeah the PSP game works surprisingly well, even control-wise. Only problem is the scenarios aren't as cool as some of the other AC games like AC4 and 3.

Yeah, I'm playing this and thinking the mechanics would work really well on PSP. I think I might check it out down the road.

ElyrionX

LiveFromKyoto said:
Okay, I just spent an hour at it, and I think I've kind of broken through to what the gameplay's about. I wasn't using thrust enough (ie. just about constantly) and I didn't have a handle on the way the tilting/rolling worked. I'm getting a little more into it now, getting better at locking onto guys.

Incidentally, how long is this game?

Yeah, I'm playing this and thinking the mechanics would work really well on PSP. I think I might check it out down the road.

I'm an AC veteran and AC Zero took me about 10 to 15 hours to finish. AC04 is slightly longer and AC5 is even longer than that, which makes it the longest PS2 AC game.

Omie

I have AC5 with the bundled flight stick and think its ****ing fantastic. I've been meaning to replay 4 again.

Question:

Can I use the flight stick on AC4 ?

Omie said:
Question:

Can I use the flight stick on AC4 ?

Yes you can!! Flightstick2 works on AC4, AC5, and AC0. Hell, I think the PSP game is the only one I'm ok with using a regular controller with (and even then it can have serious problems.) AC6 better support flightstick2 or I'll bail.

You need to learn some schemes to play that game efficiently, also the game is much better on hard.

Enemy fighters have AI, so when you'll go slow and start turning - they'll do the same. The trick is to speed up, go up to 20000 feet, and then go down on them like a falcon.

I feel that it's the slowest game in the series, AC3 had much better sense of speed.

Enemy planes in BW on normal difficulty are slow as hell, it's hard to stay behind them because of that, but on hard things get much more exciting, minus the speed in general.

Maybe it's just me and my AC n00b-ness, but hot dang this game is hard. I find myself replaying mission 6 or 7 times before I finish them.

What's the trick with lock-on? I can't seem to figure out what triggers it. Sometimes a guy will be at the edge of my vision for a second and the lock-on will go off, sometimes I'll have a guy dead in my sights for like a minute and it won't lock. What am I missing here?

Mobius 1

Ace Combat 4 is the pinnacle of the series. The story is interesting, the voice work is bloody class.

Moebius One out.

Can't really understand the massive praise for AC4, but to each his own, I suppose. AC5 is my favorite by far.

As for lock on, you'll start locking on when an enemy is within a certain range from your vision center. However you must have missiles remaining, and you must have your missiles selected; if you have the special weapon selected, it might not lock because some weapons don't use it. Also, you need to wait for your missiles to reload after firing a pair.

ourumov

Crazymoogle said:
Can't really understand the massive praise for AC4, but to each his own, I suppose. AC5 is my favorite by far.

As for lock on, you'll start locking on when an enemy is within a certain range from your vision center. However you must have missiles remaining, and you must have your missiles selected; if you have the special weapon selected, it might not lock because some weapons don't use it. Also, you need to wait for your missiles to reload after firing a pair.
Yep. Ace Combat 3 Japan is a lot better than AC4. IMHO of course.

Crazymoogle said:

Seems normal enough, but I swear there are enemies where that's not the case - the bombers in the first mission, the SAM launchers in the second, etc - I can be right on top of them, have homing missiles selected, not have fired any for a minute, but it's still not locking on consistently.

Also, what's the deal with the takeoff sequences? Is there something I'm supposed to be doing other than just taking off? Time keeps running out even though I'm in the air, I feel like there's something else I'm supposed to be doing.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Maybe it's just me and my AC n00b-ness, but hot dang this game is hard. I find myself replaying mission 6 or 7 times before I finish them.

What's the trick with lock-on? I can't seem to figure out what triggers it. Sometimes a guy will be at the edge of my vision for a second and the lock-on will go off, sometimes I'll have a guy dead in my sights for like a minute and it won't lock. What am I missing here?
You need to lock on certain enemy using triangle ;).

I had that problem to when I started, but then I noticed that I can switch targets.

And to me Belkan War was extremely easy on normal, I didn't have to repeat any mission. I died maybe 3 times on hard. It doesn't compare to AC3's difficulty.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Also, what's the deal with the takeoff sequences? Is there something I'm supposed to be doing other than just taking off? Time keeps running out even though I'm in the air, I feel like there's something else I'm supposed to be doing.

You have to clear a specific altitude, not just get off the ground. Once you get lift, fly straight up, takeoff should end really quickly that way.

ram

Gizmo_Monkey said:
the only good thing about AC games has been the music..its some of the best VGM i ever heard.

yes, your right sir and now GTFO.

despite some elements, i like ACZ too and i like the theme. its not the best game and has clearly lost some budget compared to AC5, but its still good.

Ynos Yrros said:
You need to lock on certain enemy using triangle ;).

Thanks, okay, I think this game is about to get alot easier. Last time I buy something without instructions. :lol

Crazymoogle said:
You have to clear a specific altitude, not just get off the ground. Once you get lift, fly straight up, takeoff should end really quickly that way.

Thanks!

I treat Ace Zero like a time/score attack arcade game, it's good in quick bursts and the mission design suits itself for that sort of play. AC5's campaign is very very long (almost 30 missions compared to like 17 in 04 and Zero) and has a lot of support and recon missions with not too many furballs and pure dogfights.

AC04 has probably the most well-rounded mission design out of the three, although I do miss some of the gameplay adjustments in 5 and Zero.

I really hope Namco is working on AC6, the Sixaxis was practically made specifically for it.

AC04 has probably the most well-rounded mission design out of the three, although I do miss some of the gameplay adjustments in 5 and Zero.

Never really understood this perspective, if only because I remember the missions to be pretty flagrant in their design and lacking the frills to cover it up that you see in 5 and 0 (5 in particular was more about changing mission objectives while inflight.) Felt a lot like an arcade game to me. I guess I should try playing it over again.

I really hope Namco is working on AC6, the Sixaxis was practically made specifically for it.

AC6 without stick support is unimaginable.

Top Bottom