• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will a game surpass TLOU 2's combat? The combat feels next gen.

Guilty_AI

The saying "more than the sum of its parts" comes to mind especially with the nitpicking on one good point of many.
Its not complicated to shave away from the multiple "parts" of this game, as i did with multiple examples of different aspects rather than just one single nitpick. And thats not even entering into the merit of the narrative which is one of the most damning aspects that definitely does takes away from the "sum" you speak of, but that is not something i wish to discuss as i'm perfectly aware that you and other users who are besotten with ND and this game consider it to be some holy grail of storytelling, despite the entire thing reading like an edgy fanfic i would find in amauter webnovel sites.

Last edited:

Three

Its not complicated to shave away from the multiple "parts" of this game, as i did with multiple examples of different aspects rather than just one single nitpick. And thats not even entering into the merit of the narrative which is one of the most damning aspects that definitely does takes away from the "sum" you speak of, but that is not something i wish to discuss as i'm perfectly aware that you and other users who are besotten with ND and this game consider it to be some holy grail of storytelling, despite the entire thing reading like an edgy fanfic i would find in amauter webnovel sites.
I don't even particularly like the story but whatever you say.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Legendary Tales wants a word with OP.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Vick

I don't even particularly like the story but whatever you say.
Stop bothering man.

Just read the whole discussion with that user again, neverending downplaying of characteristics listed for decades as indication of good AI while providing zero alternatives, as if other (praised) games of similar genre around, some made years later, weren't fucking Resident Evils or Evil Within or Alan Wake 2.. I mean this in itself should be enough to see there's no point in engaging.
If some force is driving you to dismiss every aspect of a software featuring competent and compelling Grounded + AI (that you can read being described as Extremely Smart everywhere outside of these virtual walls and not in virtue of being perfect but simply compared to what other developers achieved) sadly generations above the competition for:

Humans, with variations based on type and faction
Tracker dogs
Regular infected
Stalkers
Clickers
Bloaters
Bosses

All needing entirely different approaches due to their distinctive traits and most of the time within the same encounter, there's no way around the fact that force is going to overpower whatever argument you can possibly provide.
Trust me on that, I've been on countless TLOUII Threads, and if when it comes to shit on certain aspects of the narrative we're all buddies when it comes to praising objective quality it's always the same people refusing to concede, some of which, again, admittedly never even played the game.

By using that very same poster approach to discussion, this is what he enjoys playing and regard as impressive and realistic AI so just let him have his fun.

There's always the OT if you want to discuss the game with people sharing the same experience:

"That" moment for me was the first time Ellie meets the Seraphites. I've never felt truly hunted by AI enemies like that before or since. The way they whistle to each other, and you don't know exactly what they're communicating, but they are communicating and acting on that information, and it's all for the sake of malevolence towards you...intense.
Some quick tips for Grounded No Return with the goal of just surviving a run without cheats:

3. Assault: Human in grounded have John Wick aim, infected are always easier just due to no ranged attacks. Unless it's the invisible enemies mod, avoid at all cost. Assault against infected is universally the easiest type of an encounter, even if starting in combat.

5. Capture: honestly, this is grounded - forget about grabbing the safe in time. Not worth it - with this approach those are the easiest fights against human, unless its encounter 4 or 5 - there go against 6+ half of which are in combat and agressively go flanking your position. Makes more sense to keep it slow and leave the final enemy alive to collect all supplies in the level.

8. Human are programmed to see you aiming at them out of cover at distance, you have about one second to land a shot before they duck and start firing at you. Not the case in prone, so it's often a better idea to go prone and shoot them crawling next to a cover.

No feeling of living in an alternate reality there.

DavidGzz

At this point I don't think it will happen until Naughty God's next game. Or maybe Silent Hill 2 Remake (LMFAO)

I have high hope for GTA6 and its physics system, hope we dont have to wait until a Part III to see this surpassed.

I'll shit if a game as massive as GTA6 can pull off anything close. There's no way.

Last edited:

Three

Stop bothering man.

Just read the whole discussion with that user again, neverending downplaying of characteristics listed for decades as indication of good AI while providing zero alternatives, as if other (praised) games of similar genre around, some made years later, weren't fucking Resident Evils or Evil Within or Alan Wake 2.. I mean this in itself should be enough to see there's no point in engaging.
Didn't plan to. When you're talking about the AI being more than the sum of its parts in recreating a believable human enemy team after you and what you particularly liked about it and they bring up how much the story sucks instead you can tell the discussion is driven by something else.

Last edited:

GooseMan69

HOLY SHIT I forgot about this. I used to spam this tactic when I was in like 8th grade lol. I didn’t even see it online or anything. I just figured it out. Most of the terrorist hunt maps had certain areas where you could do this. Good times.

That enemy dialogue is so distinct too. “He’s dead…we’re fucked” used to crack me up lol

Last edited:

Vick

the AI being more than the sum of its parts in recreating a believable human enemy team after you
Was just watching the Noclip Making-Of of Part I in preparation for Grounded II airing tomorrow, and it actually contains a section devoted to the improvements and efforts reserved for the AI. It briefly mentions some of the most basic systems at play like how reactive the position holding should be and the path cost functions taking current and future exposure into account:

But also the interesting balancing and needed nerfing in order to keep the subway encounter faithful to the original, just wish they detailed how the difficulty scalability works.

It obviously all paid off in the end and I'm glad those improvements were made, but I really wish they toned it down for those sewers stalkers as the changes entirely fucked with my previous 10 years old reliable Grounded strategy. I've yet to figure out a way to cleanly pass that section on Part I now and I'm not even sure it's possible to be honest.

Hopefully tomorrow we'll get a more definite answer on how exactly those new stalkers work, along with an in-depth look in general at the considerably more complex sequel as I'd like to know how the enemy cooperation was achieved and what was made to differenciate the competing factions, plus a little section on the tracking dogs.

Top Bottom