• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: All the Freddys, all the Jasons (aka Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13)

Boogiepop

(Sorry the title doesn't have the proper "13th", didn't fit).

Anyway, I recently watched through both of these series in their entirety, having never seen a single one of the films before.

The one generic comment that applies more to the Nightmare films (but at least the first Friday with zombie child Jason): man, those little "surprise, gotcha!" ending that throw on an extra "scare" at the end... generally suck. They just usually fit real poorly to the flow of the movie (and often make little sense) to end things on a "scary" note.

Oh, and quotes on "scary" because... I don't think there was one even vaguely frightening scene between either franchise. Don't particularly mind as I wasn't overly looking to be scared, but yeah, they certainly didn't do anything for me in that way.

Also, this admittedly took probably half a year, so the early Nightmare movies in particular are a little bit foggier for me (went Nightmare 1-6, then all the Friday movies, the crossover, and finally the rest of the Nightmare stuff.)

Now, to get to my thoughts on the films.

Nightmare on Elm Street
1:This one started things off pretty solidly. My big issue is that the nightmares seem more governed by budget than creativity, just being, like, a base Freddy goofily hobbling around in the exact same sets. In theory that allows for the idea of "is this a dream or not?!" but... not really using the idea to its fullest. But yeah, nice enough start to the franchise, and some neat ideas and cool moments (especially liked just going full on Home Alone on Freddy at the end, IIRC).

2: This one... so close to being my favorite watching through all these, but falls short. Some fantastic moments of cheese, with stuff like the damn exploding bird. But yeah, I had it pointed out at the start all the ideas/imagery about homosexuality which actually blends freaking awesomely into the movie. But then... it's kind of distractingly bad if you take that as the key theme, as it turns a movie about a dude struggling with his homosexuality and falling apart for it... only to have him saved by heterosexual love in the end. :/

3: Where it gets dumb, but I'd still say in a good way. Nice, super cheesy, but amusing. Like, that freaking skeleton is a brilliant example of a franchise just saying "eh, screw it" in gloriously dumb fashion. I'd say it's noticably worse than 1 and 2, but still worth watching. IIRC this is where the "nun raped by 1000 maniacs" plot popped up, right? Because that's... honestly dumb, and by trying to make things more "evil", it just kind of doesn't work any better than his straight up child murderer setup.

4/5: Not a whole lot to say about either of these, outside of I'd say for both of these the amount of budget/care bottoms out enough that I'd call neither worth watching, really. The reflection thing is so stupid, and the dog peeing fire revival was a clear sign that, much as the series didn't seem to care much before, the lore/logic was worthless at that point and no thought would be spent on how Freddy was coming back. But mostly... they're just not very good movies.

6: This, though? Holy crap, talk about a turnaround. Not perfect at all, but I'd say this one was the clear winner for best of the two franchises. Just finally embraced and nailed the whole cheesy and over the top and creative dream logic schtick that should've been Freddy's calling card from the very start. On top of that... it actually, you know, looks back on Freddy as a human, which is honestly more unnerving in a lot of ways. Those demon things were pretty doofy and awkward, though.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare: However, this was pure crap. Like, I see that it was trying to be a smarter, more artsy take on things, but... it just didn't come together worth crap. It was largely just boring, but you also had stuff like awkward child acting, the "darker, more evil Freddy" still being the same old character (like, see him lifting the kid over cars from the sky) but... more bland and hardly a part of the film. Also, I feel like it would've been more interesting to see it focused on Robert Englund, as he's much more the star of the franchise than the girl who played Nancy. (Though that wouldn't have saved the film alone). Plus little dumb things, like how... the dude was already driving drowsy at that one point, so he was in a bad place even without Freddy (and somehow his three hour drive mid-day leaving work early had him driving late at night?) And that really unsafe playground design that apparently wasn't part of the dream world? Oh, and did those earthquakes not actually really tie in properly despite the promenence? I guess earthquakes are just a sign of real world Freddy for reasons?

A Nightmare on Elm Street (the remake):
So... not a whole lot to say here. It largely retreads ground from the original (with a ton of scene/shot call-backs that even I picked up on, despite only having watched the original once, like 6 months prior). In theory it probably does SOME stuff better, but I dunno, felt like it was lacking energy or something compared to the original. Also, maybe it's just an unfair "this is different, so I don't like it" judgment after all those movies with the same actor, but... this Freddy just isn't as good. I think it's because he tries to sound more serious in the voice... but then quips like old Freddy, but without as much skill in the delivery. I dunno, just felt like a lesser version of the original film to me.

Friday the 13th
1-5: Sad as it is to say, I have the same exact issue with almost all these films, and it's... they're honestly pretty damn boring. For one thing, they spend waaaaaaaay too long with the killings happening in secret from the cast at large, so there's little tension generally, just teenager antics interspersed with short, halfhearted and rather weak death scenes. Part of that comes back to another issue: I suppose this varied a tiny bit as these things progressed, but holy crap, these movies had approximately zero budget. Everything looks soooooooo cheap and cheaply shot. Plus almost none of the characters even really build up much of a personality for you to grow even vaguely attached. At best they're some simple stereotype, but some aren't even that developed.

I will say with the original though, that the reveal works especially well considering how the franchise built up, and hell, once it happens, I'd say that point on was a fairly enjoyable ride through the end (though still a slog to get there). Also actually really liked the performance from
the actress for Jason's mom
, IIRC. Oh, and the "you're doomed!" crazy old guy was the one really amusing character, so it's a shame he wasn't allowed to stick around further.

Anyway, my friends and I determined that the only reason the franchise managed to survive so long despite being so horribly, horribly dull, was the tits. Because I can't really see what else could have people interested in most of these.

6: Once again, though, 6 was somehow the magic number, and is my favorite in this franchise as well. Suddenly Jason puts some creativity in the kills, and the cheesiness ramps up well, and you even get tension the whole way through because oh hey, someone actually realizes Jason is on the loose! (And they said screw it and went full on 100% he's a zombie). Just flowed a lot nicer and faster too, and even the bit roles seemed to have a lot more personality. Not amazing, but a solid little schlocky slasher film. (Dumb plan for the climax, though, but that's nothing new for these sorts of films). Hell, IIRC, this is even the only one they seemed confident enough to not need to jam in tits to sell it.

7: Aaaaand right back to dullness. Despite psychic powers, still feels a lot more like the slow emptiness of 1-5, and I can't say I got much out of this one. Outside of my group managing to joke that it'd end on zombie abusize dad to the rescue... only for that to actually happen!

8: Right back to the cheesy goodness though. Terribly misleading title for most of it, but Jason on a Boat isn't a bad little movie. Again, I'd say it hits the key bit of actually letting people know Jason is there to ratchet up tension. And then when it actually hits Manhattan you get some fun scenes, like just straight up boxing Jason, or Jason stopping that rape, or any other number of little things. Just wish that part was more of the movie. Oh, and weird, weird ending. Still, a nice, dumb, broken but still fun little movie.

9: Goooooood lord this one was baaaaaaaad, though. Somehow looks cheaper than the older ones despite probably more budget, and an even more misleading title than 8. And in a totally good plan, you somehow have most of the movie with "person we're told Jason is possessing", so... just random people killing folks. Couldn't even take the hockey mask around for SOMETHING to be there. Hell, "Jason" doesn't even act right in those other bodies. Like, yeah, Jason would totally tie a guy up in bondage (in a house he got somewhere?) and then... shave him? Totally fits the MO. And on top of all that... adds a ton of weird, pointless lore out of nowhere with no explanation (outside of the exposition bounty hunter, who even throws in an entirely unexplained "remember me?" line to Jason, like... what?) Hell, I'm pretty sure it doesn't even stay consistent within the movie itself, though I'm not about to expend the mental energy to analyize this crap in depth. Oh, and we end on a random Freddy tease waaaaaaaay before the crossover, so that's an odd little thing.

X: At least we end things on an amusing note, though. Like, don't get me wrong, this is a bad movie, for sure. I could pick apart a ton of crap. But it's a fun bad movie, seemingly made from somebody watching both Alien and Aliens and saying "let's do both of those at the same time somehow, and throw in Jason (and make it all a whole hell of a lot more sloppy)". If nothing else, the scene where they trick Jason with the fake camp is absolute perfection and a great sendoff to the series that I will cherish forever.

The remake: Funny that it's kind of a remake of 2-ish because of the way the franchise built up, rather than the first movie. It has some nice-ish ideas (actually kind of like the survivalist Jason here), but honestly, it's just a run-of-the-mill horror film that does okay enough to get by, but doesn't really stand out strongly in any way, IMO. Sadly that still puts it above a lot of these flicks for me, but yeah, just no real strong feelings on this one. It just kind of... was.

Freddy vs. Jason:
I could nitpick this one, as it sure as hell wasn't a perfect film. There's a lot of little odd bits that don't fit in great with the original movies on either side, and definitely some weird and weak bits... but they kind of nailed the big dumb fight moments, and this was just the stupid capstone I wanted it to be.

theWB27

Michael Myers was always a better Jason.

Freddy was the most terrifying thing growing up. You know....we all have to sleep.

I've been noticing quite a few people have been watching the Fridays(and Nightmares) lately. The Friday the 13th game has definitely been psyching people up to watch them.

You also have to keep in mind, when Elm Street came out in '84, it was definitely a bit scarier than it is now. Not to mention the rest of the sequels pretty much made him a jokey character(which I enjoy). So he lost any scare factor post OG Elm Street. Robert England killed it as Freddy though. The series will never be the same no matter how many times they try to reboot it.

The Fridays are weird, in that they are these super low budget films, yet I find most of the Fridays'(produced Paramount) pretty entertaining. Jason goes to Hell was so fucking awful. Definitely the worst one. The end scene was great though.

I've been watching the Jason movies for the 1st time thanks to the game.
I still have Goes to hell and X, but so far they don't hold up.
They're never clever or creative, just violent for violence sake.
However, I disagree with you.
1-5 Jason is kinda sympathetic, it's revenge. He was abused and neglected at the Lake and it keeps escalating....but in 6 when they turn him in to a super zombie, he loses his personality and just becomes an undead dickhead. He kills for fun, he's much more brutal about it and anyone can be a victim. It just loses it for me completely. Though the opening to V was pretty assholey too.

The bottom line for me is how bad these movies are, yet still so popular.

I love how Jason became a 'horror icon' despite not showing up (really, first movie wasn't mean to be a dun dun dun moment) until the second movie. And every single one he's been in being a critical failure.

Such a weird happenstance that I can't think of being replicated, where something that only popped up from the low budget sequels gets recognized.

But yeah really only the first Nightmare (and bits and pieces of 2) is good out of that ENTIRE catalogue. The rest is schlock, sometimes entertaining schlock, but schlock.

I love how Jason became a 'horror icon' despite not showing up (really, first movie wasn't mean to be a dun dun dun moment) until the second movie. And every single one he's been in being a critical failure.

Such a weird happenstance that I can't think of being replicated, where something that only popped up from the low budget sequels gets recognized.

But yeah really only the first Nightmare (and bits and pieces of 2) is good out of that ENTIRE catalogue. The rest is schlock, sometimes entertaining schlock, but schlock.

The funny thing is how infrequently Jason shows up sometimes. He's only in Jason Goes to Hell for about 5 minutes of screen time. And he's not even in Part 5 at all.

I've been watching the Jason movies for the 1st time thanks to the game.
I still have Goes to hell and X, but so far they don't hold up.
They're never clever or creative, just violent for violence sake.
However, I disagree with you.
1-5 Jason is kinda sympathetic, it's revenge. He was abused and neglected at the Lake and it keeps escalating....but in 6 when they turn him in to a super zombie, he loses his personality and just becomes an undead dickhead. He kills for fun, he's much more brutal about it and anyone can be a victim. It just loses it for me completely. Though the opening to V was pretty assholey too.

The bottom line for me is how bad these movies are, yet still so popular.

I mean the opening of 5 is a dream, so its more Tommy think's he's an asshole. Jason isn't in part 5 to be an asshole. Cut the guy some slack. Haha

For the most part they are products of their time and really so much in horror was taken from these two franchises. Trying to watch them now, it's hard to believe anyone wouldn't be kinda bored by them since so much of them have been redone countless times since in the past 30 years.

He didn't become a horror Icon till the 2nd and 3rd movies. The first movie was one of the largest slasher hits of all time at that period, and pretty much created the 80's slasher craze despite movies like Halloween coming before it. Each sequel made more than the last until about the 5th movie. The movies were never meant to be anything.. good. They were just trash on purpose, they were just supposed to be good fun, gore, t&a. The people making the films never had any thoughts of making art, they knew what they were doing. And people loved it. Each film in the series made profit except for Jason X

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Friday the 13th Part 6 is the only one in that series that holds up for me. Jason Takes Manhattan is damn near unwatchable, so much of the movie is the boring teen stuff on that boat.

Zabka

Freddy vs Jason was one of my all-time favorite theater experiences ever. Imagine if they made 15 movies before Batman vs Superman and it wasn't a total drag. It was a unimaginable level of hype.

adj_noun

Freddy vs Jason was one of my all-time favorite theater experiences ever. Imagine if they made 15 movies before Batman vs Superman and it wasn't a total drag. It was a unimaginable level of hype.

ABSOLUTELY

If you had the right crowd it was a damn pro wrestling match. People hooting and hollering for their favorite.

One of the best movie nights ever.

ABSOLUTELY

If you had the right crowd it was a damn pro wrestling match. People hooting and hollering for their favorite.

So much fun. We had about 8 people, one dressed as Jason, one as Freddy and the rest dressed as murdered counselors or people in pajamas. It was a great time.

I haven't came across any person that would consider Freddy's Dead a bright spot of the franchise until now. Interesting.

ABSOLUTELY

I saw it at a drive-in with a bunch of my friends. That was an awesome experience and we were all incredibly hyped that night.

The best part was when one of my friends went home and got asked by his super religious conservative mother how the movie was. He couldn't help himself and blurted out, "It was FUCKING awesome!" before he knew what he was saying. He got slapped for that one.

Without a doubt. The movie may have not been the greatest, but it delivered on a theatrical experience. I'm not if I've had more fun in a theatre since then. People were so excited to see these characters finally crossover. Honestly, I think the wait from Jason Goes to Hell until FvsJ actually made it more crazy. And seeing it's ended up as England's final turn as Freddy; the movie holds a special place for me. He went out with an exciting bang.

I'm not sure a horror movie has done what that did since. I'm not even sure horror pull off something like that right now. I don't think a studio has any real crossover potential anymore. And the slasher icons are slowly fading away. Maybe the new Halloween with re-ignite them, but it hasn't worked with the last Friday, Nightmare, Texas Chainsaw attempts.

Boogiepop

You have some interesting opinions.
For what it's worth, I was pretty much entirely looking for that right mix of cheesy schlock for me more than anything else from these. Though fair enough that my opinions may still be odd, even taking that into account.
For someone who spent all that time creating the topic, TC sure doesn't seem to care much for either franchise...odd.
I mean, I like trashing things I don't like too, not just talking about things I love. And I'd say actually watching through all the movies took a lot more time than the amount required to make a snippet for each... (though admittedly the "watching and ripping on stuff with friends" factor helps a lot.) That said... I dunno, I'd actually say I enjoyed the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise more or less as a whole, despite some issues. Friday the 13th, though... yeah, largely not for me, with some exceptions.
I haven't came across any person that would consider Freddy's Dead a bright spot of the franchise until now. Interesting.
For what it's worth, it seemed to work especially well for the two guys watching it with me too. That said, I can totally see how someone else wouldn't feel that way at all. Just clicked in just the right way for me, with just the right level of schlock and cheese.

Same!

It would have been a little sweeter with Kane Hodder playing Jason, but it's not a big deal to me.

Despite being way too hyped for it, it still lived up to my expectations. Helped that it had a really fun cast.

This was nice reading as a fresh modern opinion on these movies. It's cool that you watched them wanting to see some silly shit, because that's what they always were, or eventually turned out to be. I generally agree about Jason, but I don't think I've ever heard someone say Freddy's Dead is the best, and that New Nightmare sucked haha. Fans are crazy about part 4 though. I'll always stan for X.

HiiiLife

I remember this was around the time I was genuinely freaked out by horror movies, even slasher ones. Had to watch it with a group constantly. Left the light on outside my room lol. No exceptions.

Now it's probably my favorite genre (especially slasher).

With that being said I've been on a Jason binge thanks to the game and Part 3 is still my fav.

I lot of us watched them as kids and it's why they were scary. I watched F13 1 in the theater and remember being scared shitless while my parents made out lol

scitek

I lot of us watched them as kids and it's why they were scary. I watched F13 1 in the theater and remember being scared shitless while my parents made out lol

The level of gore in the first F13 hadn't really been seen in such a mainstream film at the time, so it's understandable to me why it'd scare some people.

Sciz

Pretty much right in line with my own opinions on all counts from watching through them a couple years ago. Both series got better when they embraced the camp value and made you want to actively root for the villain.

jeremy1456

I haven't came across any person that would consider Freddy's Dead a bright spot of the franchise until now. Interesting

I thought it was a nearly universal opinion that Freddy's Dead was one of the best installments in the franchise.

I've only ever spoken to people who absolutely loved it, and really can't imagine anyone who enjoyed any of the sequels even slightly would feel otherwise.

Oh, and quotes on "scary" because... I don't think there was one even vaguely frightening scene between either franchise. Don't particularly mind as I wasn't overly looking to be scared, but yeah, they certainly didn't do anything for me in that way.

I bet you didn't set the mood right. Did you watch them alone at night with the lights out in an empty house? Did you listen to the Unsolved Mysteries theme before you started watching them?

kunonabi

I thought it was a nearly universal opinion that Freddy's Dead was one of the best installments in the franchise.

I've only ever spoken to people who absolutely loved it, and really can't imagine anyone who enjoyed any of the sequels even slightly would feel otherwise.

Nah, the movie was reviled from the jump by pretty much everybody. You just know some strange people is all. It was pretty much the epitome of everything that was wrong with what the franchise had turned into.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Friday the 13th Part 6 is the only one in that series that holds up for me. Jason Takes Manhattan is damn near unwatchable, so much of the movie is the boring teen stuff on that boat.

That film confirms Jason has full on superpowers though.

I mean he always had regeneration, but that could've been a side effect of his resurrection. In the film you mentioned dude chases a guy, guy runs into a building up to the second floor, and is thrown out a window by Jason.

Dude can literally teleport.

I'm assuming he's an empathy too, given he's hit a dozen times by a boxer and gains the ability to punch said boxers head clean off.

Nah, the movie was reviled from the jump by pretty much everybody. You just know some strange people is all. It was pretty much the epitome of everything that was wrong with what the franchise had turned into.

Yep, everyone thought that Freddy's Dead was garbage from the moment it released in the fall of 91. It had those god awful dated cameos by Roseanne and Tom Arnold, the stupid loonies tunes moments in pretty much every kill and don't get me started on the fucking Dream Demons.

Freddy's Revenge is the instalment that was maligned for much of its existence but has undergone a rehabilitation since Never Sleep Again came out. It actually got good performances from its young leads, has Kevin Yagher's best Freddy makeup and Mark Shostrom's makeup effects work during the scene Freddy cuts his way out of the body is top notch.

As for my ranking of the Nightmare films it goes

1,3, New Nightmare..4,2..5,FVJ......6....................Remake

big ander

I had to reread the parts on Freddy's Dead and New Nightmare a couple times because I was convinced you'd somehow mixed the paragraphs up or something. Thinking Freddy's Dead is the best—let alone even remotely good and not catastrophically bad and boring—while disliking New Nightmare, I mean that certainly sets you apart

It's been my experience that the majority place it in the bottom 3 three along with Nightmare 2 and 5. I believe even the series documentary "Never Sleep Again" goes over the fan backlash a bit. Fans didn't gel with the Looney Toons approach and the push to making the series even more comedic, felt that the daughter storyline was weak, and we're let down with the climax. I personally get some enjoyment out of it (I like all of them to some degree), but I place it towards the bottom of the series as well.

Edit: Series ranking? I'll bite.

1. Nightmare on Elm Street
2. New Nightmare
3. Dream Warriors
4. The Dream Master
5. FVJ
6. Freddy's Revenge
7. The Dream Child
8. Freddy's Dead

Not watched/never will: Remake

It's been my experience that the majority place it in the bottom 3 three along with Nightmare 2 and 5. I believe even the series documentary "Never Sleep Again" goes over the fan backlash a bit. Fans didn't gel with the Looney Toons approach and the push to making the series even more comedic, felt that the daughter storyline was weak, and we're let down with the climax. I personally get some enjoyment out of it (I like all of them to some degree), but I place it towards the bottom of the series as well.

Edit: Series ranking? I'll bite.

1. Nightmare on Elm Street
2. New Nightmare
3. Dream Warriors
4. The Dream Master
5. FVJ
6. Freddy's Revenge
7. The Dream Child
8. Freddy's Dead

Not watched/never will: Remake

Freddy's Dead had a nightmarish pre production that tried to glue together concepts from other superior scripts which didn't get made because their ambitions were above what New Line was willing to spend. Peter Jackson had a script in which Freddy had become an old and weak punchline that was unable to kill his victims and the teens of Springwood actually held slumber parties to go into the dream world to kick the shit out of Freddy but one of the kids gets sloppy and Freddy kills him regaining all his old powers. Another script was another direct sequel to 1,3,4 and 5 with Alice's teenage son as one of the protagonists and some of the dead characters from Dream Warriors were back as Dream Police helping to stop Freddy for good. There is traces of these other scripts in Freddy's Dead but the whole thing was a mess storywise.

At least it was tonally consistent unlike its direct predecessor which didn't know if it wanted to be serious with the gothic set design and willingness to tackle issues like Abortion or comedic with all the goofy one liners.

kunonabi

For me:

1. ANOES
2. New Nightmare
3. ANOES3
4. FvJ
5. ANOES4
6. ANOES2
7. ANOES5
8. Freddy's Dead

Reboot was shit and doesnt count as far as I'm concerned.

Friday is harder for me to rank since everything between my top 3 and my bottom 2 changes spots depending on my mood.

Top 3:

1. F13 V
2. Jason X
3. F13
4. FvJ
5. F13 III
6. F13 II
7. F13 IV
8. F13 VIII
9. F13 VII
10. F13 VI
11. Jason Goes to Hell

Reboot was shit and doesn't count as far as I'm concerned.

Halloween

Halloween > Zombie's Halloween reboot (Director's Cut) > Halloween 4 > Halloween 3 > who gives a crap > getting kicked in the groin > Zombie's Halloween 2 > Halloween 6

I just woke up in an alternate universe where Freddy's Dead is considered the highlight of the franchise and Jason Takes Manhattan is viewed as a good time.

The level of gore in the first F13 hadn't really been seen in such a mainstream film at the time, so it's understandable to me why it'd scare some people.

Yea, at the time it was pretty hard stuff for main stream theatrical film. You only got such gore or worse at the smaller grindhouse flicks that many people never head of or seen. F13th and it's sequels obviously feel tame and dated now compared to the stuff you see in mainstream stuff now, plus every slasher after kept trying to raise the bar on gore, t&a, and jump scares.

munchie64

I just woke up in an alternate universe where Freddy's Dead is considered the highlight of the franchise and Jason Takes Manhattan is viewed as a good time.
Yeah, I kinda thought I was getting the numbers wrong when I read that lol

That said Dream Warriors and Jason Lives are also highlights of mine so eh opinions and all that. It's fun to look back at old series like this.

bjork

NoES reboot is better than any of the old ones. Take some elements of the old ones and basically condenses that into one movie instead of 6 so-so movies.

That said, I made the trip to Hollywood to go see the actual houses used in 1984 Nightmare, so I guess that one left an impression as well.

kunonabi

Freddys Dead was about as well received as Jason Goes to Hell and Halloween 6.

That trifecta of shit was really something else. Its like all those screenwriters had a competition going to see who could write the worst possible back story /finale film.

phanphare

Banned
man I loved New Nightmare. it was basically a spiritual prequel to Scream.

I also hated Freddy's Dead, that movie just didn't feel right. with all their faults I prefer the tone of 4 and 5 more. I also love the weird lore that they started injecting into the series starting with 3.

evil ways

As NoES is concerned, Dream Warriors(Part 3) is god-tier. Its in my opinion the best balance of the horror, creepiness that Part 1 had, and a better look at the dream world, outside some rusty bolier room, and Freddy's powers.

As NoES is concerned, Dream Warriors(Part 3) is god-tier. Its in my opinion the best balance of the horror, creepiness that Part 1 had, and a better look at the dream world, outside some rusty bolier room, and Freddy's powers.

Best acting in the series as well. All the kids had some personality and Patricia Arquette had that IT factor even at 18(though if you watch Never Sleep Again, she got nervous and flubbed her lines a lot to the point it frayed her relationship with director Chuck Russell). Lagenkamp was considerably less wooden then she was in the original and Craig Wasson was always an underrated actor(watch Body Double for more proof). Plus a great supporting including Larry Fishburne, Priscilla Pointer and the return of John Saxon.

NoES reboot is better than any of the old ones.

Nvw9dE1m.jpg

Sciz

They both embrace the inherent absurdity of their premises and don't try to pretend that there's any actual horror left to be found. If you want a comedy where a guy goes around exacting bloody karmic justice in strange and interesting ways, they're both spot on.

They both embrace the inherent absurdity of their premises and don't try to pretend that there's any actual horror left to be found. If you want a comedy where a guy goes around exacting bloody karmic justice in strange and interesting ways, they're both spot on.

And someone said the Nightmare remake is better then any of the other films. Like I can get liking Freddy's Revenge because it has some great bits(the school bus dream, body and brains, the bit with his sister and the whole body tear/pool party sequence) I can get liking Dream Child because its got a ton of atmosphere, the uncut kills are great and Lisa Wilcox is always watchable. I even get liking Freddy's Dead if you embrace the loony tunes insanity and the fun cameos(I can't deny the funny Johnny Depp cameo) but that Nightmare remake was pure trash. What a waste of JEH, Rooney Mara and Katie Cassidy.

Top Bottom