• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP American Horror Story: Asylum (unmarked SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just finished this and it was such a great ride. The ending was especially satisfying and I love what they did with Jude. Srsly her character arc was so well written and I went from hating her to loving her. Here are my random thoughts on it:

- I didn't care for the alien invasion stuff and felt that there were some unnecessary plot elements while some of the more important ones didn't receive enough closure (Hans burning, the uneventful death of the possessed sister)

- Greatly enjoyed the characters and the pacing although it goes a bit downhill in the last 1/4

- to me the horror element mostly consisted of the fact that the protagonists always got the shorter end of the stick with the antagonists being ahead of them in every respect. It sometimes created a very hopeless and desperate tone: there simply was no hope for them at all.I also liked that some characters remained quite ambiguous.

- The Plot was unpredictable. Anything could happen. I couldn't believe what they did to Jude.

Anyhow, since I enjoyed this season greatly, what about the other ones? I'm considering Freakshow and Hotel due to their premises - I neither like witch stuff nor haunted houses.

Brakke

Banned
I loved that musical number.

This is one of the least consistent shows of all time tho. I liked a bunch of things in Asylum but it didn't hold together at all, especially on the home stretch. Coven was a mess, too, sprinkled with occasional good scenes and ideas.

kirblar

Aliens/Nazis were in for the same reason they were in
Crystal Skull
- it was true to '50s pop culture.

It's the best season of the show. Hotel's either 2 or 3.

Time Flashes

Neo Member
Good in the beginning, went too crazy in the middle and had a good ending. I remember the final episode being really good, it has been the best of the show by far.

Aliens/Nazis were in for the same reason they were in
Crystal Skull
- it was true to '50s pop culture.

It's the best season of the show. Hotel's either 2 or 3.

While I understand the reasoning behind including it, I would've preferred more significance behind this sub-plot other than 'yeah it's pop culture'. It definitely dragged the narrative down a bit.

LaNaranja

Asylum was the peak unfortunately. I assume you have already seen season one? If not go watch that. Season 3 is also worth watching. It is super disappointing by the end especially given the build up and promise of the first few episodes but it is still entertaining and worth seeing through. Also it has the best intro of the series.

Freakshow is a dumpster fire if the dumpster was filled with shit and vomit. It is literally the worst season of anything I have ever watched. I kept with it waiting for it to get good but it never did. It is an aimless mess from beginning to end. I only saw the first three episodes of Hotel before I decided to drop it because it was similarly stupid and aimless and I wasn't going to waste my time waiting for shit to click.

It started off well, got very convoluted and overly weird, then finished pretty well. If they'd limited the tangents they went off on, it would have been better.

Murder House is a lot better in my books, but Asylum is second out of the seasons I've seen. I've yet to see Coven, but Freakshow was awfully boring and uninteresting and Hotel was too melodramatic and bland. Neither of those seasons are worth the time they take to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom