• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Assassin's Creed III

I'm really not interested in impressing anyone, no reason to get defensive. I genuinely always thought
he was a templar
. What am I supposed to say? That I was shocked? Well, I'm sorry, I wasn't, and I didn't thought it was a twist because I thought since the beginning it was a well known fact. Like I said, maybe because
I associated the word "order" with the templars from the very beginning.

I'm not even the kind of gamer that picks up this kind of stuff because it's really plain. I'm not that smart. It is what it is though. Saying I'm "pretending" anything is a bit uncalled for and rather uncharitous of you.

And how the characters in the game reacted surprised?
When this is revealed, everybody in the room was a templar. So exactly which character was surprised?

The modern day characters react with something like a "Wait.... what?!". I'm not saying you should have been surprised, but your demeanor when asking what the twist was supposed to be and circling around it with your guesses was telling to me. It's unimportant, just struck a nerve at the time. I'm sorry if it was unwarranted.

oilers1994

Neo Member
I feel this was one of the weakest ones in the series. The Haythem intro dragged on too long and felt like ages before the game really opened up with Connor. The gameplay was more of the same with the counter based tactics, but I won't hold that against this specific game as it is basically the same in all AC games.

The frontier was fairly well done. I do love the fluidity you can have going from tree to tree and really makes you feel like you are doing some serious parkour. But unfortunately the cities were limited by the time period and really lacked the scale that the European cities offer.

I won't get into details but the Desmond part of the story was god awful. That conclusion really put me off the game and probably makes me view the game worse than I probably should. But my god that ending was awful.

Overall I'd probably rank the game about a 6.5 nothing great but if your a fan of the AC series you need to play it just to see the ending for yourself

danmaku

- Fuck the notoriety system. I hate that so much. You can't take two steps in a city without dozens of red coats harrassing you. Running is really hard because they are really fast and they are EVERYWHERE. Best solution is to murder everyone in front of a crier and bribe him right after. That sucks. Black Flag and Unity did the right by changing this.

You can escape the red coats but it's not easy. You need to use alleys, go into doors and windows, avoid open areas and generally use every tool the game gives you. Sometimes it won't work anyway because the game will glitch and you'll get stuck somewhere. That's why I said the game wasn't solid enough to increase the difficulty.

Pyrrhus

You can escape the red coats but it's not easy. You need to use alleys, go into doors and windows, avoid open areas and generally use every tool the game gives you. Sometimes it won't work anyway because the game will glitch and you'll get stuck somewhere. That's why I said the game wasn't solid enough to increase the difficulty.

What were you guys doing that you needed to fight off packs of marauding red coats constantly? If you use social blending when you see they're getting suspicious and don't try to sprint across guarded rooftops or directly past them into restricted areas they aren't generally that aggressive. Ridiculously non-aggressive when you consider you're playing as a six-foot-three Indian wearing a leather wizard costume covered in tomahawks, swords, and guns. It's usually enough to break line of sight and then hide in somebody's outhouse for 20 seconds.

Then again, I spent most of my non-mission time out in the frontier shooting bobcats and elk. If I heard the drumbeat of a regiment of soldiers marching back and forth in the middle of nowhere, I just skirted the area. Maybe if I'd been more of a city dweller this would have been a bigger issue.

All of this said, in Unity, I greatly appreciate that not every thug and gendarme in the game shares the player's super human acrobatic powers and you can lose most enemies by climbing a building.

danmaku

You're right, it didn't happen frequently but when it happened I noticed it was harder to get away from the guards. There are also more guards on rooftops so if you play like the previous games and try to kill everyone while going around, you'll easily alert the guards.

I really enjoyed the game and glad to see others out there share this view.

However, the technical performance of the game was distractingly poor in some areas (PS3)

Pyrrhus

If Ubisoft followed this, it would have been the best in the series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg3F0SaPfp0

Hardware prevented it. Everyone hated how they replaced the weapon wheel with a separate screen with noticeable load time in the finished ACIII, but the reason they had to do it was lack of RAM. The game barely ran on the old hardware. There's no way they could have had a densely packed encampment full of unique characters right in the middle of the open world section like that. The concept demo was complete fiction.

Unity is a lot more fluid like that (at least, now that it's in a finished state) but it took a new generation of hardware and a new engine to achieve it. And it's still not as fluid as in that demo.

Hardware prevented it. Everyone hated how they replaced the weapon wheel with a separate screen with noticeable load time in the finished ACIII, but the reason they had to do it was lack of RAM. The game barely ran on the old hardware. There's no way they could have had a densely packed encampment full of unique characters right in the middle of the open world section like that. The concept demo was complete fiction.

Unity is a lot more fluid like that (at least, now that it's in a finished state) but it took a new generation of hardware and a new engine to achieve it. And it's still not as fluid as in that demo.

But what about PC?

Turin

Banned
Loved this game. My favorite in the series despite some of its flaws.

definitely my favorite assassin Connor.

Thanks+op+i+have+chrome+_3413e203abfc1d88085c25dcf955e0a3.gif

It was frustrating learning the new gameplay mechanics, but the game is certainly no where near as bad as some people paint it. AC4 is better game no doubt.

idalarian

Loved this game. My favorite in the series despite some of its flaws.

Thanks+op+i+have+chrome+_3413e203abfc1d88085c25dcf955e0a3.gif

I too liked this game a lot. Well specifically the story, the side quest stuff in homestead and the naval battles. No the game is far from perfect (horrible bugs, unlocking waypoint through the underground, some bad mission design sometimes). Still the biggest plus is that the game didny waste it setting one bit. Now that was an AC game that felt you were part not only of the time period, but of its history. And what was so bad about the ending nway? The cliffhanger? The infodump? I admit the modern day sequences through out the game werent that good. But still the fear I had.was that it wouldnt be conclusive but for me i felt satisfied the way the arc ended.

dab0ne

I never understood the hate for this game. It was a hell of a lot better than the trailing simulator ass creed 4 turned out to be.

MattyG

Banned
Just bought it again during the Steam sale. It's got its issues, but I still like it a lot, maybe most of the whole series. The American Revolution is just so interesting. Haven't played the DLC yet, so I'm looking forward to trying that out.

Top Bottom