• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

h#shdem0n

I have a lot more to say about Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag than I thought I would. It captured my attention in a way that no other Assassin’s Creed title has. I beat it over the course of a few days, playing it for up to seven hours straight. There were still too many tailing missions, but way less than previous entries. And the ones that were there, weren’t all terrible. It seems Ubi learned a bit about how to design an area to make tailing less of an exercise in frustration.

It might say a lot about your franchise when the bench mark for quality is “not terrible,” though. Luckily, Black Flag succeeds in being engaging as well. The gameplay is the same Assassin’s Creed gameplay you’ve come know and love, hate or tolerate depending on your disposition. As one would expect after nearly half a dozen iterations, it’s been refined significantly. But still far from perfect. It still feels Janky. Kenway still clings to nearby climbable object when you don’t want him to. It’s an inevitable side effect of the simplified controls (hold down right trigger and push forward on the left stick). This leads to some excruciating moments, times when I want to throw my controller through my television while hollering, “Fuck you Ubisoft!!” until my voice is hoarse.

Unlike Assassin’s Creed 3, stealth is actually somewhat viable here. I think it goes back to the improved area design. Thick foliage you can hide in is, for the most part, generously scattered throughout restricted areas. Taking guards out from hiding spots is very satisfying, and when you do fuck up and get spotted it makes vanishing easier than it’s ever been. Now, it’s not that I don’t like a challenge. But this is an improvement over the previous AC games because they’ve never really been challenging in the right way. They’ve been full of bullshit, and most fail states can be chalked up to the janky controls. A easy but addictive game is better than a difficult—but not particularly rewarding—one. 

The missions where you are ordered to assassinate a target are for the most part great. Sure, they begin with an unfortunate tailing portion, but once that’s over, you can plan your approach and execute. This is the most satisfying aspect of the game, by far. Ubi seems to know what the people want, too, because nearly every mission makes a flashy aerial assassination viable. In a couple you are even told to go for the aerial for a 100% sync.

This may seem like a glowing post. That’s because I’m talking about the things that I liked. I don’t want to discuss the same complaints that have been rehashed and regurgitated ever since people were introduced to Altair back in 2007. The checklist game design. The open world for the sake of an open world. The tower climbing! My, god, the tower climbing. At this point, those things just come with the territory of not only AC, but any Ubisoft game. 

The fanbase is split on the modern day, outside the Animus portions. Me? I love ‘em. Actually, all the modern day content in Black Flag is what made me like it enough to be bothered writing this. I hacked every single computer. I got most of the sticky notes, but lost my desire to collect them once I realized they had little to offer in terms of narrative insight. But the data on the computers was fascinating, and it really inspired me to delve deeper into the Assassin’s Creed lore. Learning about the origins of the Animus project, and reading Abstergo’s files on Desmond really piqued my interest. There’s even a brief mention of ctOS, proving that Watch Dogs and Assassin’s Creed are in the same universe. And even the filler content, like the Abstergo market analysis reports, were at least interesting. They also functioned as a commentary on the state of the videogame industry, although these criticisms ring hollow coming from Ubisoft. 

All of this leads me to conclude that Black Flag is a game for Assassin’s Creed fans. It certainly isn’t trying to reinvent the wheel any more than it’s trying to broaden the appeal of the franchise. It has what one has come to expect of an AC game, the good and the bad. They did learn from 3 though, it seems, because here we have a tighter narrative and less monotonous gameplay. I’ve yet to play Assassin’s Creed: Unity, but I really hope Ubi continues exploring the modern day exploits of the Templars, Assassins and the First Civilization. Black Flag’s handling of the series’ lore has me more devoted than ever.

I played on PC, and did experience a few technical issues. They were annoying, but overall I enjoyed myself. I'm only mentioning them for the sake of being thorough.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Its the only assassins creed game I've ever truly enjoyed. I truly wish UBI would strip the Assasins part of the game out of it and just make an awesome pirate game without any of the series baggage.

chemicals

I loved everything about it. I found the parkour to be the best yet in the series. Someday I will get the DLC where the big black dude gets his own ship. Sounds solid.

Its the only assassins creed game I've ever truly enjoyed. I truly wish UBI would strip the Assasins part of the game out of it and just make an awesome pirate game without any of the series baggage.

And then CDPR should take over as developer ;b

ACBF is great though - Assassin stuff aside. Truly hope Ubi's take away from it's success is that people enjoyed the pirate part.

I wrote about this game in a different thread, but to sum up: It had good variety, I played through the whole thing and enjoyed it even though I hated AC and ACII, and now I have no need or desire to ever play another AC game again.

Also, Anne Bonny and Mary Read were pretty much the best, right?

I thought I was done with the franchise after the massive turd that 3 was. So I didn't play Black Flag until a while after release and man... I loved it. I don't understand how you can go from doing everything wrong in 3, to making the best AC since Brotherhood in Black Flag. I also love Unity, but I left it alone at launch, and only just finished it last week.

EBE

I didn't want to touch any of the ship stuff so I've put the game off since it was free on Games with Gold. I liked exploring islands and towns on foot as a pirate but didn't want to be an actual pirate doing pirate stuff.

Almost gave up on the series after 3 - bought this because pirates.

Definitely one of my favorite games in recent memory. Still have to get around to Rogue.

sjay1994

And then CDPR should take over as developer ;b

ACBF is great though - Assassin stuff aside. Truly hope Ubi's take away from it's success is that people enjoyed the pirate part.

The dream AC is them taking the effort CDPR did with Witcher 3 where every mission told its own story, with the stealth gameplay of MGSV

But thats probably never going to happen, and from the little bit of syndicate I played, it feels like they really haven't learned anything.

Clydefrog

Fun game but disclaimer: I get enjoyment out of every ass Creed game.

Fuck those legendary ships in the corners of the map though

Coonce

I'm currently playing through this game, about 56% through. Loving every minute of it, the ridiculous Abstergo plot is just interesting enough that I actually care about it, and the swashbuckling is amazing fun.

My only gripe with the game is that getting materials to upgrade your ship can be a tad bit slow. I also wish that I could switch my ship to a different one, similar to Sid Meier's pirates! or have more than one ship with me at a time.

I agree, the best AC since 2!

AmyS

I loved everything about it. I found the parkour to be the best yet in the series. Someday I will get the DLC where the big black dude gets his own ship. Sounds solid.

I've got Freedom Cry but haven't gotten into it or the main game much.

jotun?

This is exactly how I felt when I reached this part of the game:

wevgZKe.jpg

Stuff I liked:
- Ship combat is great, for the most part. It seems heavily influenced by the old Pirates! game, which I loved.
- It's a very pretty game, especially on PC at high res with everything turned up.
- Shanties
- The pseudo-historical pirate characters were cool
- The throwing knife!

Stuff I didn't like so much:
- The FOV is horribly narrow. Thankfully I found a CheatEngine solution to that.
- Fuck the diving sections, and fuck sharks.
- Ship combat eventually becomes pretty stale and trivial, probably just because I did too much of it.
- The usual AssCreed complaints about dumb melee combat, over-streamlined climbing, trailing missions, general lack of freedom in missions, and too damn many collectibles.

rainz

I got this with my xbone bundle but still haven't installed it.. Haven't played anything in the series since the original AC.

Reading this kind of makes me want to give it a chance even though it seems mostly hated on.

What issues did you experience on PC? I just picked this up a few weeks ago on PC and have yet to actually play it. I played the shit out of the PS4 version and although it had a lot of issues as far as design is concerned, I had a lot of fun.

Its the best open world in some sense. The open world objectives of ship fort assaults, and ship-to-ship combat.

Seriously. Flush the toilet and think for a second about the gameplay- ship gameplay, boarding gameplay, action gameplay, combined with acrobatics and parkour. So many things are going on, and it works seamless. It's not perfect but very impressive and well made.

h#shdem0n

What issues did you experience on PC? I just picked this up a few weeks ago on PC and have yet to actually play it. I played the shit out of the PS4 version and although it had a lot of issues as far as design is concerned, I had a lot of fun.

I had to play the beginning of the game three times, once wasn't really Ubi's fault (I had to reinstall windows), the other 2 times my save got fucked up. Other than that, just a couple CTDs, and I had to tweak the graphics settings to get a stable framerate (I was expecting my 970 to be able to max it out at 1080p).

TheYanger

I got this with my xbone bundle but still haven't installed it.. Haven't played anything in the series since the original AC.

Reading this kind of makes me want to give it a chance even though it seems mostly hated on.

This game wasn't hated on, 4 is universally loved. There's some retroactive finger waggling since unity came out but this game is fantastic.

Loved this game! It was the first Assassins Creed game I ever played.. tried Unity.. but... there were no Pirate ships so I gave up.

I really hope we get a proper sequel.. or a damn stand alone Pirate game.

The game is half really good and half absolutely terrible. The terrible parts are the parts where it makes you play Assassin's Creed. That says a lot about AssCreed to me.

LordOfChaos

I just...Really don't get it. I know, I know, idontlikething.png, but I try to understand the appeal of AC, and I tried playing a decent bit of Black Flag. The ship parts are ok....The rest...Controls are the worst of it imo, combat is slow and really clunky (especially after playing the batman games), regular non-combat controls context switch and aren't always clear in what you can do at a certain moment so i had lots of miss-actions (i.e., I remember something frustrating about the ship guns, pressing the same button wasn't always clear what it would do depending on where you were in relation to them), etc. And then just a lot of running point to point.

It's just so, so boring to me and I really do try to understand why this franchise is such a money printer.

Just as you did, I loved AC4 as I explained in a previous LTTP. I just wish it was more about pirates than assassins. That shows how the classic gameplay aged (and not in a good way) compared to the awesome things you do as a pirate.

Top Bottom