• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Castlevania Order of Ecclesia - Shanoa > All the Belmonts and Alucard

I see this expressed a lot, but I've never understood it. What about it makes it so difficult? I didn't have very much trouble, really.

in every other Castlevania with RPG elements, I felt like I could just soak up damage as long I was leveled up enough.

In OoE, I had to learn the patterns of the bosses well. the damage they dealt was much higher.

I love the combat and art direction in OoE. It's much more thematically cohesive than most of the prior handheld iterations. I was pretty disillusioned with the series after PoR, which I consider the worst of the so-called "Igavanias" (yes, I even prefer the often maligned HoD, which actually had a good map). If it wasn't for the bland map layouts OoE could have been hands down the best portable Castlevania imo. Shame that after OoE rekindled my interest the next game would be the completely forgettable Mirror of Fate.

Zornica

Banned
I am kinda sad that apparently this game bombed, and that we didn't get the superior Japanese cover:
I got the equally great pal cover:
Castlevania%3A+Order+of+Ecclesia+%28f%C3%BCr+DS%29-160182.jpg

review2.png

Thats where I quit the game back in winter break 2008. Havent touched it since.

must've tried that boss at least 40 times. when I finally beat him, I plowed through the game without the slightest scratch. nothing could stop me. (the grim reaper didn't touch me once, yes, I'm serious)

mantidor

Shanoa does gets points for being a female protagonist who, despite
having her emotions locked away, still had a lot of charm while she struggled to understand things and why she couldn't feel more when situations called for it
, my favorite part was when
thinking she had lost everything, she quickly resolves to go fight Dracula and just rolls into his castle while "empty tome" starts playing, what a badass

That part was indeed amazing.

I like Shanoa as a female character a lot, even though she stills uses her naked back to absorb powers :p, but it's a very classy and badass character. The story isn't that amazing though.

Awesome game, if its the last Metroidvania then at least the series went out with a bang.

You know, i'm going to give this another play through right now. i never did finish it. i did find it challenging, but in a fairly bad, uneven way, unlike the often well crafted challenge of the pre "vania" titles.

cheers for the inspiration.

and shes a superb lead character, with lovely animation. she is no alucard however.

It's honestly the only Metroidvania I can say I actually really love. I like the shorter, detached stages more than the big castle stuff. More similar to classic CV in that way. And the training hall was super fun (and had one of my favorite classic CV tracks in it).

I see this expressed a lot, but I've never understood it. What about it makes it so difficult? I didn't have very much trouble, really.

I definitely found it difficult the first time through, to the point where I had to put it down for a number of months. When I picked it up again and started from the beginning, though, I was able to breeze right through for the most part. Then again, that happens to me a lot--it takes me a while to find my "groove," and for the game to click.

At any rate, wonderful game. I really liked Masaki Hirooka's art. It had a similar "elegant" look to Kojima's.

Albus > Shanoa, though I like both. That said, Alucard is still GOAT.

OOE is an excellent game, way better than that Mirror of Fate business. I recommend it to any CV fan as it's a nice mix of both the classic style and the Metroid inspired newer titles.

Narras

I thought this game was harder compared to the other DS Castlevania's. The game wasn't super hard or something, though. However, it was very fun and I really liked Shanoa as the lead. Using the double beam glyphs + death ring combo was fun. I felt like a character straight from DBZ. LOL

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat it. Despite the castle being a bit small it's still an awesome game, and it's not as broken as other Castlevanias towards the end.

Beth Cyra

Loved Shanoa, not as much as Alucard but still loved her character.

I really do think that OoE is the best Metroidvania and it's really sad that we will never get another after such an amazing game.

GeekyDad

Yeah, she was a great character, and the overall tone of the game was a nice change from the previous two DS-vanias. Was a tough-as-balls game, though. After DoS and PoR, I had to put my big-boy pants back on for this one.

mantidor

I agree.

fun broken though! not bad broken

Portrait or ruin is probably my least favorite. ugh. Though i still to track down a copy for my collection

You know I was expecting PoR to be horrible but it's perfectly playable and enjoyable, you won't regret playing it if you like metroidvanias.

Beth Cyra

You know I was expecting PoR to be horrible but it's perfectly playable and enjoyable, you won't regret playing it if you like metroidvanias.

PoR has it's problems, and most certainly doesn't stand up to OoE or SOTN, but I don't agree with people who say it's a flat out bad game. It has some cool ideas, and some really fun battles. Plus unlockable playble Richter is always awesome.

Top Bottom