• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Coming to terms with Dead Space 3

Disgraced

Playing it right now on PC and my biggest complaint currently is the story and characters. No one is likeable and instead so far they're all ass holes. Isaac doesn't help matters. It's been awhile since I played Dead Space 2 but I don't recall Isaac and Ellie annoying me this much.
Are you kidding?

It's like the Great Gatsby in Space.

p. much in my top-ten all-time video-game-stories from last-gen tbh

I played through it twice with a friend and it was really fun. If you play as the other guy you hallucinate and see things in the environment throughout the game. The person controlling Isaac has no idea what you're seeing.

Jawmuncher

Are you kidding?

It's like the Great Gatsby in Space.

p. much in my top-ten all-time video-game-stories from last-gen tbh

For Dead Space 3? Like unironically?
I mean I just find it surprising. Since it's really tonally inconsistent and it's trying to explore and expand ideas & lore it can't really do. Especially with the gameplay on hand.

The extra characters are reminding me a lot of the extra character in TR2013 where they're just kind of around. Then the whole cultist aspect feels a bit out of nowhere. Especially with the gameplay not really supporting gears cover shooting.

I honestly liked Dead Space 3 quite a bit on my first play through, but I like all 3 for different reasons.

Would buy the shit out of a remaster trilogy on PS4.

after Dead Space 3, Dead Space was Dead to me. It will take a miracle to revive the series to it's former glory in any capacity. Especially without the mt's shitting on the game.

Also,EA, if you're seeing this, get rid of that garbage crafting system and go back to something more akin to the old crafting system, thanks.

Garlador

... Dead Space deserved a better final outing than DS3.

The original was a marvel of in-game immersion (HUD, menus, interactions). DS3 sucked me out of the experience every few minutes (coop only doors, buy microtransactions at every bench, insanely bad love drama).

Ellie from DS2 was one of my favorite game characters ever. Ellie from DS3 sits next to Samus from Metroid Other M and Aya Brea from The 3rd Birthday at the table of shame.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think it's a pretty crummy game that might be 8 or 10 hours too long for the content it has and missed the mark about literally anything I might have liked about the series. I don't want to fight humans (note: necromorphs with guns that act like humans are humans). Center mass shooting with no value in dismemberment. Yet another cover shooter, maybe the 50th released between Gears of War and whenever it came out. Bullet sponge crap enemies. Jump scare enemy closet design that was bad in Doom 3 five years before this came out. I don't want """"lore""""" (the writing is abysmal in all three games and the characters are thinly drawn, which is fine, but lean in to what you're good at which is environments, themes, and atmosphere). I'm fed up with falling off a collapsing cliff every ten seconds and then slowwalking for another twenty after because ow it hurt. Weapon and ammo system sucked. The shoehorned microtransaction crap was egregious because the whole game is built around a bad mechanic (the indecipherable salvage system, where you gather random crap that isn't explained to make random crap that you can't tell if it's better than what you had), that is made to irritate you into paying. Transparently bad attempt to take a good franchise and make it AAAAAAA mainstream, which no one asked for except apparently EA, but here's a pro-tip -- maybe if you wanted a bigger audience you could have released on Steam, the platform that did a couple million of your previous two games? I paid about $0.10 for it in the Humble Bundle and felt I was ripped off by the time it wasted. I don't give a crap if they bring the franchise back or not, it's their fault it's dead to begin with.

If you took maybe 2 hours of the prologue in the space fleet, taped it to the part where you landed on the planet, and then wrote another hour or two of content after that that didn't involve shooting garbage human enemies, and totally dropped the psychic space demon moon or whatever the hell they were getting on with, they'd have had a solid game.

Hard pass.

I prefer Dead Space 1 because it's true horror; it's like Alien (DS1) vs the sequel Aliens (DS2/3): I prefer Alien.

Dead Space 1: Alien
Dead Space 2: Alien 3
Dead Space 3: A mix of a YouTube fan remix of The Thing and Alien Covenant, but also there's an ad for KFC that pops up every few minutes.

Disgraced

For Dead Space 3? Like unironically?
I mean I just find it surprising.
No, it's fucking awful.

But Isaac's hellbent obsession with (the character-assassinated) Ellie does remind me of Gatsby's with Daisy. That their names rhyme helps.

i6nYvMY.gif

I remember being so pissed that they put none of the story elements from the Dead Space 2 DLC: Severed(A followup to the Wii game DS:Extractions story) into DS3 considering it was so heavily implied it would have a meaningful impact on the future of the series.

The DLC was really freaking good too and gave some intriguing questions into the series.

1698368-elds.jpg

ds3_ellie_2.jpg

Fuck whoever was responsible for this.

I don't usually care when they do things like this, but damn, I have to say, this shit was uncalled for.

Seriously, she already had a nice rack, why did they feel the need to go BIG or go home with her tits and inflate them to super sized proportions. She looks like she's got a couple of water melons in there. Sheesh. It looks dumb when you take the context from the 2nd game into account.

Jawmuncher

I think it's a pretty crummy game that might be 8 or 10 hours too long for the content it has and missed the mark about literally anything I might have liked about the series. I don't want to fight humans (note: necromorphs with guns that act like humans are humans). Center mass shooting with no value in dismemberment. Yet another cover shooter, maybe the 50th released between Gears of War and whenever it came out. Bullet sponge crap enemies. Jump scare enemy closet design that was bad in Doom 3 five years before this came out. I don't want """"lore""""" (the writing is abysmal in all three games and the characters are thinly drawn, which is fine, but lean in to what you're good at which is environments, themes, and atmosphere). I'm fed up with falling off a collapsing cliff every ten seconds and then slowwalking for another twenty after because ow it hurt. Weapon and ammo system sucked. The shoehorned microtransaction crap was egregious because the whole game is built around a bad mechanic (the indecipherable salvage system, where you gather random crap that isn't explained to make random crap that you can't tell if it's better than what you had), that is made to irritate you into paying. Transparently bad attempt to take a good franchise and make it AAAAAAA mainstream, which no one asked for except apparently EA, but here's a pro-tip -- maybe if you wanted a bigger audience you could have released on Steam, the platform that did a couple million of your previous two games? I paid about $0.10 for it in the Humble Bundle and felt I was ripped off by the time it wasted. I don't give a crap if they bring the franchise back or not, it's their fault it's dead to begin with.

If you took maybe 2 hours of the prologue in the space fleet, taped it to the part where you landed on the planet, and then wrote another hour or two of content after that that didn't involve shooting garbage human enemies, and totally dropped the psychic space demon moon or whatever the hell they were getting on with, they'd have had a solid game.

Hard pass.

Dead Space 1: Alien
Dead Space 2: Alien 3
Dead Space 3: A mix of a YouTube fan remix of The Thing and Alien Covenant, but also there's an ad for KFC that pops up every few minutes.

Sums up my feelings. The length definitely hurts it all around. Just beat it in 8 hours and I swear it felt like 20. By the half way point I was just running past enemies whenever I knew I could get away with it. Even though I had ample ammo to take care of every situation. The story definitely made things even worse.

Like going from 1 & 2 to this. You can tell the dev teams and focus changed. The game as a whole felt a lot less polished than the first two games as well.

No, it's fucking awful.

But Isaac's hellbent obsession with (the character-assassinated) Ellie does remind me of Gatsby's with Daisy. That their names rhyme helps.

i6nYvMY.gif
Well I'll give you that then lol

I remember being so pissed that they put none of the story elements from the Dead Space 2 DLC: Severed(A followup to the Wii game DS:Extractions story) into DS3 considering it was so heavily implied it would have a meaningful impact on the future of the series.

The DLC was really freaking good too and gave some intriguing questions into the series.
That seems par for the course for the series. 2 ignored or retconned a lot of backstory from 1, like how the necromorphs on Aegis VII were originally created by scientists experimenting on the marker, and that the marker seemed to be trying to help Isaac stop the necromorphs through the visions of Nicole.

Top Bottom