• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Danganronpa 1/2 Reload

nowhat

(Disclaimer: while I will try to avoid major plot points and concentrate more on the mechanics and themes in general, there will unavoidably be some minor SPOILERS. If you have any intention playing the games and haven't yet done so, I suggest stop reading. It's better to go in completely blind.)

I was aware of Danganronpa as a series, or rather had heard the name, but it really wasn't on my radar. I had stumbled upon Monokuma in the net of course, but didn't associate it with the games and it didn't make much impact otherwise - a strange looking teddy-bear for sure, but hey, Japan, not the most bizarre thing to come from there by a large margin. What really got my interest was reading "Discover the Creators" (basically puff pieces for various PS games from different game makers), where Yoko Taro was praising the series. If he thinks it's a mad game, I should probably look into it. Still I was hesitant to pay even mid-price for two old PSP games, but recently with 50% off, why not. And I'm so glad I did.

But before I start the gushing, it's not like the two games are perfect by any measure. In fact, they contain many elements that I despise in games. First of all, I feel that if the game takes the control away from the player for too long to show walls of text or cutscenes, I might as well read a book or watch a movie. Here you'll be reading a ton and especially the dialogue can be at times overly verbose and incoherent. Many times I found myself thinking "just get on with it already!!!" (but this may be a personal thing, I find myself thinking the same very often with meetings at work). HCI-wise both are for the most part "mystery meat navigation, the game". You'll be clicking items/people, trying to search for clues/advance the plot - sometimes, clicking just once will do the trick, but other times you'll have to click something else after that and then click again. You can press triangle to highlight the available "hotspots" in a scene, but there's no indication which of those are worth clicking. A lot of the time is spent just navigating between locations and this feels like artificial padding (although this is somewhat improved in the sequel). The minigames are passable at best, nothing in there that I'd want to play as standalone. And while I understand that the games need to be of the "my way or the highway" variety as a whodunnit cannot have multiple solutions, it's infuriating at times when I know what happened, but it takes time to figure out the exact way the game wants me to say it. Whether it's partially a case of "lost in translation" I cannot say (at times the correct choices seem rather odd).

And despite all this I absolutely loved both games. Let's start with the first one, "Trigger Happy Havoc". I knew pretty much that there's the aforementioned teddy-bear, some highschoolers and "trials" (whatever those may be), but that's pretty much it. And I have to admit, I spent the first few hours going "huh???" pretty much constantly. But after some time I started to get a hang of both the mechanics and the story. The story isn't instantly gripping in my opinion - sure, there's the questions of "what the fuck is going on and who am I", but in order to care about either question I'd have to care about the characters. That didn't happen right away (and isn't helped by the fact that I never pick up names instantly, especially foreign ones), but by the second trial I was pretty much hooked. The trials themselves (along with the preceding investigations) take a surprisingly long time, which lead to many nights of "oh I'll just play this bit to the end - fuck, it's 3AM again". Towards the end I wasn't quite sure there would be any kind of satisfying conclusion to the game, it felt like something that could just wither away. I was wrong - there most certainly is a conclusion. How satisfying it is depends on how twisted you are, I suppose, but it was something I didn't see coming.

Playing "Goodbye Despair" right after the first game felt at first like it wasn't a proper sequel, it seemed more like "Danganronpa 1.5". This isn't helped by recycling most of the soundtrack and that one character from the first game who now looks completely different, I wasn't sure whether it is a reboot or a sequel. But a proper sequel it is - again, it takes some time for the story to pick up or start to make any kind of sense, but once it gets going, oh boy what a ride it is. If the ending of the first game is twisted and surprising, this one goes to 11. Also I enjoyed the characters more in general (there are some absolute gems, like that team manager guy). And for the most part the game improves on the original, but it's not all good. The issues I have are with the minigames. "Logic Dive" is pretty meh, not terrible but not very enjoyable either, especially since accelerate is X and jump is triangle (as you pretty much should be pressing X constantly, who comes up with this control scheme). The rhythm game seems to suffer from some input lag, at least I found it to be much more imprecise than the first game. And "Hangman's Gambit", how I hate thee. Not that it was very fun in the first game, but this one is clearly designed for touch screens, it sucks with a controller. But still, I found the first game to be great, this was even greater. Whoever wrote these should probably be housed in a mental institute - but hey, you can keep writing there too.

I also quite enjoyed the art style - not the best-looking anime-ish game out there, but the "2.5D" approach is quite unique. The characters could benefit from more poses though, but what is there works very well and every character is distinct. There's some fanservice, but not to the point of annoyance at least personally (and the games can be quite self-aware of it and tropes in general). A special shoutout to the music too. While there could be more tracks, the music complements the atmosphere very well and at times (especially with the trials) it seems to make the events much more exciting.

There are also the non-combat modes for both games if you are so inclined. Personally I haven't yet even tried them and doubt I will, but who knows, maybe I'll get bored sometime. As far as replayability goes, perhaps not the most replayable games out there. I could see myself taking both for a new spin at some point, but it'll probably be a year or few before I even consider it. But I guess the main question is, was it worth it? At 20€ for both games, hell yes. It would have been at the original 40€ even. I'm so much itching to get "Killing Harmony", but at 60€ it still feels a bit steep for a visual novel. If there's a sale it'll be an instabuy for me.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
First of all, I feel that if the game takes the control away from the player for too long to show walls of text or cutscenes, I might as well read a book or watch a movie.

I'm glad you enjoyed the games, but this is a particularly interesting complaint to have about a Visual Novel. Danganronpa definitely has more interaction with the player than some of the other games out there (SteinsGate for example) but at the end of the day it is a novel and you are not an active agent so much as an observer.

As for not being a proper sequel. . .I mean, I don't know how much more sequel that game could get (and no they don't recycle characters).

And personally I enjoyed DRII far more than DRI even though a bit of the novelty is definitely lost from playing the first game, especially perhaps if you play them back to back. If these games worked for you, you might want to check out The Nonary games, though the last one released, much like DR, is a pale shadow of the first two (with, again my opinion, the second being the best in the series).

nowhat

I'm glad you enjoyed the games, but this is a particularly interesting complaint to have about a Visual Novel.

That's the thing, I purposefully kept myself in the dark pretty much completely and didn't know they were visual novels. Still ended up enjoying both very much.

As for not being a proper sequel. . .I mean, I don't know how much more sequel that game could get (and no they don't recycle characters).

In case it wasn't clear enough, it sure is a proper sequel, as is very evident in the end of the game. Just that at first it I wasn't sure it was one (and am now aware that the one character is not recycled).

So in your opinion, is Danganronpa 3 not worth it?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Danganronpa V3 is fucking fantastic. 2 and V3 are the best DP games. Such a brilliant series. Some fans hate V3 because of the very last case only. The ending of the case is legit batshit crazy, and it's hard to say why without spoilers. It's the kind of ending that's so out there, you might hate the entire game because of it. But the cases and trials themselves are amazing. Game also has metric fuckloads of post-game content, including a full retro RPG and a board game. And these include the cast of all 3 games.

Last edited:
Note that Danganronpa Another Episode and Dangranronpa 3 the anime are canon to the games you've played, but not V3 the game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
That's the thing, I purposefully kept myself in the dark pretty much completely and didn't know they were visual novels. Still ended up enjoying both very much.

In case it wasn't clear enough, it sure is a proper sequel, as is very evident in the end of the game. Just that at first it I wasn't sure it was one (and am now aware that the one character is not recycled).

So in your opinion, is Danganronpa 3 not worth it?

Danganronpa v3 isn't, to me, as strongly written as the previous games. It was still an interesting game, but it's definitely polarizing among people who have played the other games. For me it is absolutely the weakest of the series, by a country mile; the first two just have more "heart" which is obviously vague as hell and can't be expounded upon without spoiling the game. For what it's worth though, it has the best trial in the entire series.

Battlechili

Banned
First of all, I feel that if the game takes the control away from the player for too long to show walls of text or cutscenes, I might as well read a book or watch a movie
Well...they are categorized as visual novels. Having lots of text is a staple of the genre, and some argue that VNs aren't even games (I'm not one of those people, but regardless they exist).
The trials themselves (along with the preceding investigations) take a surprisingly long time
Really? I actually thought the first one was perfect in this regard. DR2 and V3 are like double the length in time trial wise and that grew to be really tiring for me, but the first game...they weren't THAT long. About a half hour per trial if I remember correctly.
Don't you mean 11037? :p

Last edited:

Shouta

I like them all and each of them have different strengths but I'd say DR1 is my favorite but DR2 is the most complete where everything just clicks for it. I enjoyed the character interactions and events in V3. The last chapter of V3, while crazy, was kinda deflating for me. I was more interested in where they were going initially instead of where they had arrived, lol.

Mathrin

Yessss More people on the Danganronpa train.

If you enjoy despair, definitely give the anime a ago, if only for episode 10 of the despair arc. People here will tell you the entire thing was garbage and to be fair it did kinda...fuck up a lot of stuff.

V3 was a bit of a miss in my book. Looking back on it - it just didn't hit me like the other two. It's worth playing, but I am firmly in the dislike camp for the ending. I think I just had too high expectations after months and months of build up and...well. THAT part of Chapter one... and THAT ending.

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I think V3's ending is the best ending ever in videogame history. I don't think anything will even be that ballsy and insane again. DRP Reddit had a huge poll recently, and 2 and V3 were neck and neck in votes. 1 barely got any but that's understandable. V3 is like a freight train. It'll flatten you, or it'll take you for the ride. It's legitimately one of the craziest and most courageous games of all time.

Top Bottom