• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (PS4)

Neiteio

This is a follow-up to the thread where I was debating getting this game. To recap my situation: I've completed Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne — including all 10 chalice dungeons in Bloodborne. Now I'm hungry for more. I was worried that going from BB to DS2 would be jarring, for a number of reasons. I know there are many BB players who found themselves unable to stick with DS2 for one reason or another.

Well, I'm happy to report that I'm loving DS2 so far. I'm playing the SotFS edition on the PS4. Anyone sitting on the fence, give it a try!

PROGRESS SO FAR:

I started playing last night. I'm a knight, currently wearing the Drangleic armor, gauntlets and leggings, and the falconer's helm. I'm wielding a broadsword, handaxe and club. I'm finding the club most useful so far. I think my starting gift was a human effigy.

I've defeated the Last Giant and Pursuer at the Cardinal Tower in the Forest of Fallen Giants... I had to strip off all my clothes to handle Pursuer, lol... From there I flew to the Lost Bastille, defeated Pursuer AGAIN, and brute-forced my way past mobs of sword-toting soldiers to find the Ruin Sentinels... But the path there is too much at the moment — I'm struggling to deal with the throng of enemies leading to the boss. So I went to Heide's Tower of Flame, where I defeated Dragonrider. I've now reached No Man's Wharf... Last time I played, I lit countless torches in the place, taking down each and every enemy, until some strange beast killed me.

I could've leveled up several times with the amount of souls I dropped and failed to retrieve. But hey, at least the torches are lit!!

IMPRESSIONS:

First things first: This game is gorgeous! I didn't expect much, based on the screens and video I had seen, but at 1080p 60fps (unless my eyes deceive me, this appears to be the performance on PS4), there is a lot of crisp, clear detail that really pops onscreen, and the lighting feels so warm and real.

I vividly remember each location so far. There's the seaside sprawl of Majula with its patchwork structures glowing in the sun... The mossiness of the Forest of Fallen Giants, the twisting roots pulling apart the battements... The skyscraper-sized statues overlooking the ocean near Cardinal Tower... The giant sword impaled in the ramparts... The lighthouse of Heide's Tower of Flame, and nearby Cathedral of Blue, overlooking a cobalt sea under a cobalt sky... The damp cove of No Man's Wharf with its black water, abandoned taverns and sullen ships... Many places are bright and colorful, and the dark areas feel lived-in but clean. The world of Drangleic is positively airy after the darkness and decay of Yharnam.

The handling is fine. Yes, there is a slight deadzone issue, and when I started playing I felt a bit imprecise running along narrow pathways. Now I've adjusted and I don't even notice the controls. They're weighty and grounded, fast and responsive. They're comfortable, and I feel fully immersed. The only struggle is rewiring my brain from Bloodborne — I keep hitting Start to bring up my equipment and inventory, but in this game that brings up the gestures!

I've been leveling up Adaptability, bringing my agility to 100+. This puts my dodging i-frames on par with other Souls games. SotFS is indeed difficult in how your dodging ability is reduced at first. But the game is clearly designed around this limitation — the fact you level up 4-6 times after each boss means it's easy to level up Adaptability without compromising other stats.

Also, I think this might be the most difficult Souls game, relative to where I am right now. Or at least, it might be the Souls game where resource management is most important. Since your estus flask starts with one charge (I've since upgraded to three), you rely heavily on life gems, which start refilling your HP when used. This is a neat mechanic, since you have to find space to use them, and then you have to survive long enough for them to take effect. The estus flask has its own catch — at least right now, my character drinks very slowly. I wonder if there's a way to increase drinking speed...

Combine this with the hordes of enemies, and you can quickly find yourself feeling overwhelmed. Seriously, there are enemies everywhere! They're still thoughtfully placed, though — sometimes sadistically so! You really have to manage your resources and take the levels slowly, focusing on one enemy while dodging the other, luring them into areas where you won't attract new enemies. If you're expecting two enemies in the next room, there are probably four, five or six. Sometimes the best strategy is to run away and regroup. It's a new challenge for a Souls vet like myself... I'm already strategizing how I'll clean out No Man's Wharf, which is teeming with hidden enemies.

I'm really enjoying everything so far. I'm relearning some things after Bloodborne — for example, equipment weight is now a factor, so I find myself taking my clothes off and putting them back on, depending on how much speed I want. At 100 Agility, with nothing equipped except my weapon and some rings, I feel even faster than I was in Bloodborne. So there are many approaches you can take. And while Miyazaki has said he was hands-off with this title, it still has his sensibility all over it. The attention to detail, the mystique, etc. — it's all still there. At the moment, this is every bit a worthy title in the Souls/borne series. :)

Kolx

The game is great no doubt about that, but it lacks some of the magic Des, DS, BB had. Anyway glad you really liked it :)

Moofers

I'm glad you got it! Its my favorite of the Souls games, including Bloodborne. In my opinion, it only gets better as you go. There are lots of memorable areas and fights ahead and I love how some areas are actually bright and sunny as you saw in Majula. These games dont have to be so damn dark and nocturnal all the time, yknow?

As for taking off your clothes all the time, that's not an approach I have ever taken. Its interesting to read about though. I can see how your willingness to do that would open up a lot of options for you. Personally, in my multiple playthroughs, I always end up doing the same thing: I put a lot of points into my equipment load stat. I love wearing the heavy armor and still being able to move around fairly well. I try for a load of about 65%. I spend way more souls on upgrading my stats than on upgrading a ton of weapons. I usually stick to a handful of weapons throughout the game. My starter longsword which I'll turn into a firesword and upgrade to max, the dragon-rider bow which I usually upgrade a couple of times, the persuer's sword which I will upgrade 4-5 times, and then a good shield. Thats usually all I worry about. Ive messed around with other weapons and styles but that setup seems to suit me so I always end up doing that. It makes me happy I guess! LOL.

Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying it. I've always felt it got unfairly shit on by crazy people.

**edit*

Just a bit of advice, stay in human form as much as possible and summon other players! I know some people like to act like that's cheating or give some bullshit reason as to why that's some impure way of playing, but I have so much fun with other people and this version does it best! I rolled into a boss with a party of 4 on a couple of occassions and had the biggest smile on my face! It feels awesome having so many partners. Definitely take advantage of that!

Despera

Banned
What do you think of the boss encounters so far? For me a lot of them weren't as memorable as they were in other Soulsborne entries.

Otherwise, DaS2 is indeed a worthy entry in the series. All I can say is that if you're enjoying the early parts of the game then you're in for a treat, as it only gets better the deeper you delve into it.

I did what you did, Finished BB then wanted more so purchased SOTFS.....

But i just canet get into it, It isnt captivating me like BB did and DS, Some of the enviroments didnt look that great and the change of pace in combat didnt help.

I'll probably give it another go at some point, I just got an ultra greatsword so i wanna use it at least.

ramyeon

I did what you did, Finished BB then wanted more so purchased SOTFS.....

But i just canet get into it, It isnt captivating me like BB did and DS, Some of the enviroments didnt look that great and the change of pace in combat didnt help.

I'll probably give it another go at some point, I just got an ultra greatsword so i wanna use it at least.
I'm in the same boat. I haven't played DeS or DkS, BB was my first From game. But I just can't get into this. I want to love it but it's just not doing it for me at the moment.

Late Flag

I just finished the main story earlier today, and now I'm starting the DLC. Very good game, just not as good as the other entries in the series. I went with an all-out strength build (no spells) and alternating between a Grym Great Axe +10, Greatsword +10, and Demon Great Hammer +5 depending on my mood. Thief's set for armor. Love this build.

One complaint that I haven't seen much mention of before: If it wasn't for the Fextralife wiki, I would have no idea to how to finish the game. I completely forgot about the door you have to open to reach the final boss -- I hadn't been there in over 20 hours of game time and forgot that it even existed. And then I had to look up how to actually trigger the final boss, which required another sidequest that it would have taken me a while to figure out and/or locate. That was annoying as hell.

Rubik8

I missed all the DLC when I played DS2 the first time on PS3. I am glad I double dipped to get SotFS, because I enjoyed it much more on ps4. I think the extra content really pushes the game over the edge into greatness for me. I rank the games like this: DS>BB>SotFS>DS2>DeS

JJD

I'm playing the game right now for the first time too. Finishing the vanilla content and getting ready for the DLC. I'm loving it! DS2 is great.

At first I found the game to be more difficult than DS1 and Bloodborne. Can't really say about Demon's considering it's been too long since I played it.

But now after some time the game has gotten a lot easier. I managed to beat most bosses with 2 or 3 tries.

I agree that the game is good looking, there are some games out there that prove that you don't need cutting edge graphics to be beautiful. The souls series is among then. Good art direction is really important.

If there is anyone from From or Namco reading GAF I'd like to request the same treatment to Dark Souls 1 and it's DLC and from Sony please I'd love to play Demon's again on the PS4.

Can't wait for DS3!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I didn't want to pay for Dark Souls II again so I don't have SotFS yet, but I might get it as a birthday present (tomorrow!). I'm curious to see what the new enemy placement is like.

I'm not sure what build I'd go for yet, though. In the vanilla game I had a dex/pyro (scimitars, rapiers, katanas and bows), sorceress (mostly pure mage but still with MLGS as backup), faith warrior (Company of Champions, used greatswords and lances), pure strength (great axes/clubs, red iron twinblade), a dual whip/crossbow user, a mundane Santier (which got sorta recycled after the nerfs), and a pure casting hexer.

I haven't used many of the boss weapons (other than Defender/Mirror Knight greatswords for my faith). Maybe some sort of quality build... or an ultra greatsword user, but I'm not a big fan of the moveset on those.

Maybe a spear or halberd user... Lances were fun but a bit limited, I haven't used spears in a Souls game in forever. Anyone got suggestions? Are fist weapons/claws viable?

I loved it was great game. Wish had more boss variety not just different humanoid creatures. My biggest complaint is the continuitity of world design. Who ever thought I could go up an elevator then arrive at molten lava castle lol. Honestly I played this second most under Bloodborne. Great game especially SotFS version.

I really like this game a lot. It's my second favourite Souls game after Demon's Souls. It has the best multiplayer mechanics of any Souls game, so I hope you will have some fun with that (if you're a Plus subscriber).

I really enjoy your Souls threads. I hope you will fill this one up with gorgeous screenshots!

Regarding Estus drinking speed, it should increase if you increase your agility. If you are at 100+ now, you should be noticing a marked improvement from how it was at the start (unless they changed how this works in the PS4 version, which I haven't played).

I didn't want to pay for Dark Souls II again so I don't have SotFS yet, but I might get it as a birthday present (tomorrow!). I'm curious to see what the new enemy placement is like.

I'm not sure what build I'd go for yet, though. In the vanilla game I had a dex/pyro (scimitars, rapiers, katanas and bows), sorceress (mostly pure mage but still with MLGS as backup), faith warrior (Company of Champions, used greatswords and lances), pure strength (great axes/clubs, red iron twinblade), a dual whip/crossbow user, a mundane Santier (which got sorta recycled after the nerfs), and a pure casting hexer.

I haven't used many of the boss weapons (other than Defender/Mirror Knight greatswords for my faith). Maybe some sort of quality build... or an ultra greatsword user, but I'm not a big fan of the moveset on those.

Maybe a spear or halberd user... Lances were fun but a bit limited, I haven't used spears in a Souls game in forever. Anyone got suggestions? Are fist weapons/claws viable?

Hm, how about a non-magic dual-wielding quality build? If you put nothing into the magic stats, you should be able to get STR and DEX high enough to be able to be able to use a lot of different weapons.

Neiteio

I really like this game a lot. It's my second favourite Souls game after Demon's Souls. It has the best multiplayer mechanics of any Souls game, so I hope you will have some fun with that (if you're a Plus subscriber).

I really enjoy your Souls threads. I hope you will fill this one up with gorgeous screenshots!

Regarding Estus drinking speed, it should increase if you increase your agility. If you are at 100+ now, you should be noticing a marked improvement from how it was at the start (unless they changed how this works in the PS4 version, which I haven't played)
Thanks. I actually subscribed to Plus for this game, at a rate of $5/month for 12 months. Figured that between this game, BB NG+ and later DS3, it was worth it.

And yeah, I've been taking lots of screens, especially in the Majula/Heide areas. I love seaside locations! I'll have to share those later. :)

sikkinixx

Every time I think I'd pick it up again I remember the hordes of enemies OP mentions and I immediately get turned off. Why have good encounters when you can just throw a shit load of guys right? More enemies = more fun !

I did like being able to basically stock up on miracles and just wreck dudes with lightning much more so than was possible in DS.

pmj

I started the game the other day too, and it's been equal parts fun and frustration. It's much harder than Bloodborne and the flask drinking speed is slow enough that I try to never use it during boss fights. Given that life gems are limited and expensive to buy, it's a significant issue.

I still don't know what weapon type to build my character towards. I'd like a reasonable compromise between speed and hitting hard. I think I had a good sword like that in Dark Souls, but I can't remember what it was. What's a good weapon of that type to build towards in this game?

I thought Majula was such a nice hub area. The music and constant sunny weather made it seem like the kind of place I could just sit around and rot away in peace. And have nice little chats with a talking cat.

And yeah, the frame rate for SotFS on PS4 is so good. I love Bloodbourne to death but each time I go back to it after long stints with this I'm kinda shocked at the difference.

Glad to hear you are digging it. DS 2 is my favorite of the Souls games. Just thinking about it makes me want to tinker around with a zany new build.

Neff

DSII is my favourite Souls game, including Bloodborne, and the added DLC, 1080p, and 60fps of the PS4 version makes it better still.

Awesome game.

Persona7

Banned
I love the covenant invasion areas so much. I spent literally hundreds of hours just fucking around waiting to be summoned into peoples games.

Wagram

Really hope they bring the Champion's Covenant over into Dark Souls 3. Absolutely loved the increased challenge.

WOW DS1 & DS2 very close on steam stats

vVQKn38.png

Gator86

Glad you're enjoying it, OP. I beat vanilla DS2 when it came out and tried the remake after BB and only got maybe 15 hours in before saying fuck it and moving on. I've always played the Souls games in spite of the gameplay and not because of it. BB demonstrated that didn't have to be the case so now I feel like it's impossible for me to go back.

Robot Pants

Its definitely the best version of that game. Although I will say I found it easier with the remixed enemies. But the enemies and their locations actually make sense now

Late Flag

After finishing Bloodborne, been deciding between this, Witcher 3 , or playing Demon Souls

Probably an unpopular opinion (or maybe not given that this is a Souls thread), but I've enjoyed DS2 much more than I enjoyed W3. Not that W3 was bad or anything -- Gwent! -- but the combat is so much better in DS2.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hm, how about a non-magic dual-wielding quality build? If you put nothing into the magic stats, you should be able to get STR and DEX high enough to be able to be able to use a lot of different weapons.
I already made several dual wielders (the dual wielding mechanic is so fucking awesome in this game <3). I don't really want to make a character that has tons of weapons, I prefer to make them specialized. I want to find a type of playstyle I haven't tried yet, or a cool "cosplay" idea.

Too bad they made the flamberge like the lame Demon's Souls one. The Dark Souls flamberge is very reminiscent of the Soul Reaver, and I'd totally rock a Kain cosplay character otherwise (dual wielding axes too). ^^

ZangBa

I already made several dual wielders (the dual wielding mechanic is so fucking awesome in this game <3). I don't really want to make a character that has tons of weapons, I prefer to make them specialized. I want to find a type of playstyle I haven't tried yet, or a cool "cosplay" idea.

Too bad they made the flamberge like the lame Demon's Souls one. The Dark Souls flamberge is very reminiscent of the Soul Reaver, and I'd totally rock a Kain cosplay character otherwise (dual wielding axes too). ^^

Well there is that really cool Heihachi fist weapon that is actually really good for PvE, too.

Glad you're liking the game, Neiteio. Ruin Sentinels is a brick wall for many players, so even if you didn't quite make it to them, retreating and trying a different path was probably the right call. The non-linearity of DS2's early game encourages and allows for this, thankfully. You'll get 'em ;)

I actually prefer it to Bloodborne.

2fFpjYi.gif

Neiteio

Glad you're liking the game, Neiteio. Ruin Sentinels is a brick wall for many players, so even if you didn't quite make it to them, retreating and trying a different path was probably the right call. The non-linearity of DS2's early game encourages and allows for this, thankfully. You'll get 'em ;)
Yeah, I initiated the fight with Ruin Sentinels, but the first one always kills me up on the platform, in part because I'm so sloppy after just -barely- surviving the enemy-filled run leading up to them. Seriously, I wonder if there's an easier way to deal with all of the soldiers in the tower. I had some luck firebombing them, but that's a finite resource. I'm hoping that my current detour will power me up enough that I can take down those soldiers more quickly. Also, I need a "spin to win" crowd control weapon, lol.

gdt

I'm actually replaying it after beating it on PS3 when it came out.

I'm finding the Scholar version to be much harder than the regular to be honest. Still love the game of course. The Heide Knights are kicking my ass.

I'm also, for the first time with these games, playing a non strength character. I'm going for a Dex build. Still early so I'm rolling with a shield as well, but I'm mostly rolling to avoid.

Yeah, I initiated the fight with Ruin Sentinels, but the first one always kills me up on the platform, in part because I'm so sloppy after just -barely- surviving the enemy-filled run leading up to them. Seriously, I wonder if there's an easier way to deal with all of the soldiers in the tower. I had some luck firebombing them, but that's a finite resource. I'm hoping that my current detour will power me up enough that I can take down those soldiers more quickly. Also, I need a "spin to win" crowd control weapon, lol.

Best way to kill them is to let them funnel through the door. If you don't want to fight, I'm pretty sure you can charge into the tower, head down the stairs directly in front of you, turn left at the bottom, and climb the ladder. That will put you right next to the boss fog.

Also, you can find a Large Club in the Bastille. If you're going for strength, it's a great crowd control weapon with a spin attack as the second attack in its R2 chain IIRC.

gunstarhero

I just finished Bloodborne - turned out to be one of the best games I've played in a LONG time.

I naturally thought of picking up DS2 on ps4, but hesitated because I heard mixed things. I'll probably give it a chance after reading the OP tho. &#128077;&#127995;

pmj

After three attempts at the sentinels I said fuck it, and cleared the path to the boss and then walked off a ledge. I did that over and over until they stopped spawning. I don't mind tricky boss runs, but this one was stupid. It took too long to clear and was too tight to run through.

DrkSage

I'm also LTTP bought the game Tuesday and so far I've defeated like 6 bosses. I've found that the bosses are super easy, like, I meet them for the first time and 1-shot em' but the enemies are a whooole different story. Its weird because in bloodborne it was all the opposite. I could take down multiple enemies but when I get to the bosses, that was trial and error back to back.

JJD

I really don't understand people's complain about the Ruin Knights.

Their attacks are really easy to avoid (I'm running a jack of all trades, master of none build. I just want to use all kinds of different weapons and magic. Don't care for PVP so I don't invade but I still got a lot of invaders and is cool fighting then), the only problem is when you have more than one on you.

I managed to kill the first one still on the platform before the other guys jumped there. When the second guy came up I did almost half damage and jumped down before the third guy showed up. On the ground I was careful not to commit too much attacking and prioritized the already damaged one. I think I did it on my fourth of fifth try. It was one of the tougher bosses on the game but I still found some Bloodborne bosses harder.

I got so good at killing Ruin Knights that I farmed then until they disappeared on Drangleic. Got their full set too! :)

Neiteio

Their attacks are really easy to avoid (I'm running a jack of all trades, master of none build. I just want to use all kinds of different weapons and magic. Don't care for PVP so I don't invade but I still got a lot of invaders and is cool fighting then), the only problem is when you have more than one on you.

I managed to kill the first one still on the platform before the other guys jumped there. When the second guy came up I did almost half damage and jumped down before the third guy showed up. On the ground I was careful not to commit too much attacking and prioritized the already damaged one. I think I did it on my fourth of fifth try. It was one of the tougher bosses on the game but I still found some Bloodborne bosses harder.

I got so good at killing Ruin Knights that I farmed then until they disappeared on Drangleic. Got their full set too! :)
We're not talking about the Ruin Sentinels. We're talking about the enemy-infested path to them. :)

Worse case scenario the enemies will despawn permanently after you kill them so many times. There is a boss later on (
Smelter
Demon
) where i had that as i struggled with the boss so much.

But yeah, game is amazing and whilst i agree it's not without its flaws, i'd rather replay DS2 than 99% of other video games out there. Enjoy!

JJD

We're not talking about the Ruin Sentinels. We're talking about the enemy-infested path to them. :)

Oh, I see!

I'm usually really careful so I just aggro 2 or 3 knights and ran back outside to take then out away from the others. I just ran around on that platform outside or I would just kill then one by one on the door. I didn't have a problem getting to the knights.

Those exploding guys on Dragon Aerie though almost drove me nuts (lost a lot of souls fixing my rings/armor) so I just fought then and the dragons without armor/rings. Thank God that area is really short.

Neoweee

Most people rush to the Ruin Knights before their build has come together or they've unlocked and utilized armor and weapon upgrades. They're a "do you know what you're doing?" check, and for those that stumble into them as their 3rd or 4th boss, the answer is usually "Nope".

klee123

No doubt DS2 is an amazing game.

It is perhaps the most feature packed Souls game, especially when you factor in the DLC content as well.

However, I still find from a design point of view, it still falls short in a few areas when comparing to the 3 other games.

Amazing game nonetheless.

Manu

You know, I kinda agree with Neiteio.

While Bloodborne is the better designed game, DS2 is much better in how it lets you experiment with your character, while Bloodborne is too streamlined for its own good, so DS2 ends up being a lot more fun to play around with.

jb1234

I found the opening of the game (up to the end of Iron Keep) really, really tough. After that, it gets dramatically easier because you can afford countless life gems and get more estus flask shards. Unfortunately, those opening levels are also some of the best in the game. There's a long stretch after that of really uninspired areas.

Noob Fu

I know I am in the minority but I think DS2 is the best of the Souls games. Sure it doesn't have the level design of the first one, but the mechanics keep me coming back for more and more. I plated it on the PS3, got all the achievements on the PC and Plated it again on the PS4. I might even get it on the Xbone.
I put in probably close to a thousand hours total on this one.
I love all of the souls games and do not get the hate this games gets from other souls fans. Makes me sad :(

Neiteio

Just beat the Flexile Sentry. Awesome boss design, and holy smokes at the rising water... What a rush! Once again, the added mobility of being naked helped immensely with not getting hit. No Man's Wharf was fantastic.

Top Bottom