• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Days Gone 2019 (PS4)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
days-gone-banner-1-1024x569.jpg

I would like to congratulate SIE Bend Studios on the game. No matter how impossible defeating zombie hordes is, the challenge in defeating hordes is incredible and it's a magical feeling taking down an entire horde of freaks.

2d0812_74cc3a6e6f954144a8278bb4a243f9ec~mv2.gif

The best things Days Gone offers is world building (Feels larger than it really is, it's Oregon, the motorcycle, the forests, caves etc.)

days-gone-full-world-map.jpg

It's unfortunate that other consoles can't experience this game because it offers everything, includes a story (post apocalyptic Oregon after a global pandemic),
Deacon (Sam Witwer) played the character pretty well and his wife and friend characters sweetened the story.

The game struggled on metacritic and is considered average by ign.

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes Days Gone is a 4th, or 5th option on SONY's exclusive list, and it could be a franchise some day and I'm excited to see more from the franchise.

If you're lucky enough to get your hands on this game, get it.

Days Gone has some serious flaws with it, but the core was so entertaining to me that I ended up getting platinum iirc. The story and setting are awesome (I love post apocalyptic/zombie shit) and the graphics were great.

The gameplay loop at times can be an utter slog, yet it had something that always had me coming back. Honestly I can't even pinpoint what it was but that loop was entertaining to me. It's unfortunate that it takes like 15hrs before the game REALLY picks up, I wonder how many people gave up and wrote it off early on.

The hordes were fantastic throughout the whole game until someone *cough* JareBear: Remastered JareBear: Remastered filled me in on an immersion breaking way to cheese the shit out of them, though it made getting the platinum a bit easier so thanks for that!

Ultimately I think it is a fantastic first stab at a genre that was completely foreign to the developer. It is a great template to build off of and I hope they get the chance to do so in the future.

Last edited:
My second plat ever. Happily put 60+ hours into it. Interested to see what their engine looks like on PS5. The story was a little bloated but I still was pretty immersed, for the most part. Getting to the true ending makes me curious to see where they go with possibly different enemy types in the sequel

kunonabi

I enjoyed playing it, which is a bit of a rarity as far as Sony games go, but the map just got so bloated with crap to do I just tuned out and never touched it again.

Eanox

The Review for the game is very unfair.
A lot reviewers are very harsh on this game and the treatment Days gone was unfair when other games was given a free pass.

The game is beautiful and the hundreds of enemies on the screen. Hoorde!

I had so much fun fighting the horde.
The scare factor of encountering the horde the first time. You can only run and use your bike to outrun them.
Traversing the world is awesome. Didn’t use Fast travel a lot because I want the thrill of encountering the unknown.
having to encounter the horde at night is scary and fun.

Last edited:

RSB

Banned
Everything I've read about it from players (not so much reviewers) sounds pretty good. That's what convinced me to buy it during a recent sale, but I have yet to play it.

It sold pretty well despite the average (compared to other Sony exclusives) reviews, didn't it?

My second plat ever. Happily put 60+ hours into it. Interested to see what their engine looks like on PS5. The story was a little bloated but I still was pretty immersed, for the most part. Getting to the true ending makes me curious to see where they go with possibly different enemy types in the sequel

I'm really curious now to see what you mean with this, I'm at the point in the game where you have to take down the horde near some petrol station, captain Khouri is watching from the sides. Honestly I'm finding it a bit of a slog.

turtlepowa

Banned
One of the few open world games that truly gets better as it goes instead of becoming repetitive.
How is it getting better? After 50% of the game you are like John Cena and not repetetive? Farming fuel and scrap all the time at the exact same locations, Reputation farming in an offline game to progess, always the same procedure with the injectors, mostly boring missions and completely unsympathetic and unpleasant characters. Boozer was so annoying i wished he would have drunk himself to death.

But hordes were great fun, i have to give Days Gone that.

BaneIsPain

I would love to see the sequel on PS5. It is a very underrated game and I admit it takes time for me to return to the game and finish it (just like HZD).

Rikkori

Been in a zombie binge recently and been wanting to try this out but I'm kinda lazy in borrowing a PS4 Pro since I sold mine. Kinda wish it was on PC, I hate playing this sort of game with a gamepad.

Fake

Have some flaws and the last part is IMO the worst of the game and I prefer to never know or to be removed.

DonF

Got it in the current sale and it hasn't clicked with me. I'll be back to it cause what I've read here. Im like 4 hours in and it hasn't done anything for me. The game is so weird in the technical aspect. Looks great but I hate the fact that it goes to black at the beginning and end of every cutscene. Feels like a ps3 era thing. Or maybe I'm spoiled by more competent developers.

Cravis

Amazing game. Bought it day one and it didn’t click. Finally invested the time to get through the slow beginning and just absolutely love it.

As crazy as it sounds, a sequel to this will get me to buy a PS5. Not God of War 2, not Spider-Man 2. Days Gone 2 is a system seller for me.

Sethbacca

Got it in the current sale and it hasn't clicked with me. I'll be back to it cause what I've read here. Im like 4 hours in and it hasn't done anything for me. The game is so weird in the technical aspect. Looks great but I hate the fact that it goes to black at the beginning and end of every cutscene. Feels like a ps3 era thing. Or maybe I'm spoiled by more competent developers.

Give it a few more hours, it really does pick up once you get beyond all the intro stuff.

One of my faves of the generation for sure. I hope it did well enough to justify a sequel, or at minimum a ps5 patch to give it some light upgrades and help some of the late game performance issues. I don't think I took on a single horde in the intended manner though, I cheesed the fuck out of every one of them. Guerrilla tactics all the way.

Just started on the Weekend with Days Gone after finishing Horizon and so far (around 10 hrs in) I really love this game.
The atmosphere, the graphics and story are great. And playing it on Hard is a welcome challenge compared to a lot of other games.

I can really not understand where all these negative reviews are coming from and I'm happy that I just ignored them.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
It was one my favs from 2019. Got the plat and then played again on Survival+ NG+ mode.

Acting, writing and gunplay are all super solid and I thought it was extra great how there wasn’t any socio political soapbox bullshit thrown in.

Also how can you not love this?

Last edited:
How is it getting better? After 50% of the game you are like John Cena and not repetetive? Farming fuel and scrap all the time at the exact same locations, Reputation farming in an offline game to progess, always the same procedure with the injectors, mostly boring missions and completely unsympathetic and unpleasant characters. Boozer was so annoying i wished he would have drunk himself to death.

But hordes were great fun, i have to give Days Gone that.

Hordes are a second half/endgame piece of content, you aren't well-equipped for them until way into the game, especially the larger hordes. Most games would put something that engrossing right at the start of the game instead of building up to it like Days Gone did. I'm going to assume "like John Cena" refers to how powerful you become which is kinda necessary for the hordes, the best part of the game. Your problems with the characters are your own, as is mission design, that there are repetitive mission types in an open world game is kinda to be expected.

Sethbacca

"......I thought it was extra great how there wasn’t any socio political soapbox bullshit thrown in."
Yeah.... about that. Turns out that, as usual, people tend not to take offense at political statements that they agree with. Politics are definitely in the game. I'm imagining what you meant is that the game didn't make you play as a woman or deal too much with the lesbian camp doctor. That would have been just too much.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Yeah.... about that. Turns out that, as usual, people tend not to take offense at political statements that they agree with. Politics are definitely in the game. I'm imagining what you meant is that the game didn't make you play as a woman or deal too much with the lesbian camp doctor. That would have been just too much.

Nah even if they were there, nothing was shoved down your throat. Even the gay relationship was just “there”. It wasn’t in your face. A bit similar to the way Bill was treated in TLOU and I like that.

Last edited:
This and The Order are both vastly underrated.

I think both will definitely have a sequel for this next generation. They should make the The Order more like The Last of Us 2 with large open levels and gun and gear customization. It would be insane. Imagine going to Tesla's workshop everytime you unlock a new upgrade.

HotPocket69

Banned
I think both will definitely have a sequel for this next generation. They should make the The Order more like The Last of Us 2 with large open levels and gun and gear customization. It would be insane. Imagine going to Tesla's workshop everytime you unlock a new upgrade.

The workbench perspective and animations in TLOU 2 are very similar to the ones in Order 1886 🤘🏼

LbXrjxz.jpg

scalman

days gone is like you need to play it ... its pretty long and pretty open, and pretty cool if you are not in hurry. and it looks amazing.

The workbench perspective and animations in TLOU 2 are very similar to the ones in Order 1886 🤘🏼

LbXrjxz.jpg

I know! I definitely think a sequel is coming and it will be much closer to God of War mechanically with skill trees. I would also love if the Parliament building with Tesla's workshop and the round table was a hub world where get missions from different characters, like the main camp in Red Dead 2.

The Review for the game is very unfair.
A lot reviewers are very harsh on this game and the treatment Days gone was unfair when other games was given a free pass.

The game is beautiful and the hundreds of enemies on the screen. Hoorde!

I had so much fun fighting the horde.
The scare factor of encountering the horde the first time. You can only run and use your bike to outrun them.
Traversing the world is awesome. Didn’t use Fast travel a lot because I want the thrill of encountering the unknown.
having to encounter the horde at night is scary and fun.
I remember the first time I ran into a horde, it was night and the music changed. I thought I was going to have a heart attack lol. That's the most scared I've been since Dead Space.

Top Bottom