• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP(?): Dead Space 3 - This isn't so bad...

KDC720

I agree, it really isn't that bad. It's undoubtedly the weakest of the three games, but it's still a solid shooter in its own right I think. The Flotilla section is great and the ice planet isn't half bad either.

When Dead Space 1 and 2 were as fantastic as they are I think it would be tough for lighting to strike a 3rd time, and as the OP mentioned the novelty of "Yo cut of their limbs!" had kind of worn off by that point.

Mike M

Nick N
I agree, it really isn't that bad. It's undoubtedly the weakest of the three games, but it's still a solid shooter in its own right I think. The Flotilla section is great and the ice planet isn't half bad either.

When Dead Space 1 and 2 were as fantastic as they are I think it would be tough for lighting to strike a 3rd time, and as the OP mentioned the novelty of "Yo cut of their limbs!" had kind of worn off by that point.
Another problem is that they just plain ran out of scenarios that we hadn't already seen before dozens of times. Of course that body is actually a necromorph. Of course they're going took come pouring out of the air vents the second you hit the switch on something. Of course something is going to burst out of one of these lockers or cryocoffins or cargo crates.

The bits where only one player sees some stuff were kind of a cool new gimmick, I'll give them that, but it was locked behind multiplayer.

Honestly I'm not sure I can think of new scares myself, so I have a hard time faulting them for it too heavily.

dcx4610

I thought Dead Space was better than 2. The story wasn't as good and yeah, they dumbed down the ammo and weapons but the graphics were great and it was closer in tone to Dead Space 1 with survival horror and atmosphere instead of pure action.

I liked Dead Space 2 but it was wave after wave of aliens. I remember rolling my eyes multiple times in the game because I knew as soon as I did X, I would have to fight hordes of enemies. It was so predictable and repetitive.

Dead Space 3 changed things up with new environments and had a good mixture of Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2. Not too much of either.

I've always thought the Dead Space series mirrored the Alien movies. DS1 (Alien) is all about atmosphere and survival horror. DS2 (Aliens) is action/horror. DS3 (Alien 3) is polarizing and a mixture of both and tries new things.

NMFried

Though it's been a while since I've played it, I remember the game being one of my least favorite experiences of the console generation.

I played the entire co-op campaign with a friend online and we were absolutely thrown by the drop in quality from 2 to 3. The snow theme could have been done wonderfully, the way movies like The Thing or The Grey built a sense of horror or despair in the snow, but the game had none of this.

The enemies were thrown at you in waves, the characters from 2 were stripped of all, well, characterization, and the ending was depressing af. That last part wouldn't have been so bad if the game itself held up under it.

Maybe I should try it again sometime.

Luminaire

Well I hit Ch. 18 and things happened. I've found myself groaning a bit as I enter another area with another monster closet. I really hate the super human looking enemies so far, but a flamethrower seems to kill them in one hit. It's rather frustrating when 6 of them jump you.

I can see why people who were already dissatisfied with it started to dislike it more. I actually skipped the last two side-missions because I don't want to deal with another monster closet.

Regarding...

The Moon:
I don't see what the issue is with the moon and the ancient race that stopped it from coming together. It seems kinda cool but maybe it'll take a sharp nosedive after I get through Chapter 18 and 19.

Norton:
Good. I'm glad I got to shoot him. I even threw his body off a cliff. Stupid jerk! Come back from that! .....he's gonna come back, isn't he?

Ellie:
Not really sure if she's actually dead.

I never knew the game was this polarizing though, I figured I'd see 50 posts of hate or "it's meh". Surprised to see some people really enjoyed it. I'm liking it for what it is, but it's dragging on a little. Two seemed paced much better...except for that horrible run to the end with all the RE4 Regenerators every 10 feet.

I'll push through and beat it tomorrow. I don't think anyone answered my question on if I can play as Carver to see what he's been up to though. Maybe I can hop in someone elses game...but then again, not sure if I wanna go through again. (For the record, I've only finished DS1 and 2 once each.)

I thought Dead Space was better than 2. The story wasn't as good and yeah, they dumbed down the ammo and weapons but the graphics were great and it was closer in tone to Dead Space 1 with survival horror and atmosphere instead of pure action.

I liked Dead Space 2 but it was wave after wave of aliens. I remember rolling my eyes multiple times in the game because I knew as soon as I did X, I would have to fight hordes of enemies. It was so predictable and repetitive.

Dead Space 3 changed things up with new environments and had a good mixture of Dead Space 1 and Dead Space 2. Not too much of either.

I've always thought the Dead Space series mirrored the Alien movies. DS1 (Alien) is all about atmosphere and survival horror. DS2 (Aliens) is action/horror. DS3 (Alien 3) is polarizing and a mixture of both and tries new things.

In your first line did you mean to say Dead Space 3? If so I agree 100%! Dead Space 2 was amazing but is my least favorite of the 3.

Adree

The first part where you are going from derelict ship to derelict ship is really cool. Amazing views outside them. After that bleeeeggh and they ruined Ellie.

scitek

The final 2/3rds of Dead Space 3 is literally nothing but the last two chapters of Dead Space 2 dialed to 11. Wave after wave of enemies completely invulnerable to dismemberment. It's not even a Dead Space game anymore at that point, it's just another third-person cover shooter with godawful mechanics. I mean, you can't take cover, and the crouch is embarrassingly worthless. It just has no idea what it wants to do, and it loses all fun in the process.

Arklite

I agree, it wasn't bad. The first 30 minutes are absolutely terrible, completely goes overboard with scripted accidents and falls every minute. Its only saving grace being the somewhat neo/cyberpunk future aesthetic of the colony. After that though, it settles down and tightens up on the pacing, and then offers you like 2 or 3 large optional derelict creepy ass ships to tackle on your own. It's a large and impressively built game, just too long and too merciless with its mobs.

IMO, its biggest faults are falling way short of DS2's narrative and really gutting Ellie's character.

But DS1 balanced it by making the ammo more scarce than other guns.
DS3 though...yeah.

DS1 didn't balance shit. All you needed do was not carry 4 weapons and limit your self to 1 or 2 only and you had plentiful amounts of ammo for any weapon because enemies drop ammo for weapons you carry only, outside a few specific drops here and there. DS2 had the same issue.

DS3 may have gave universal ammo but they balanced it with different weapons using up different amounts of ammo.

Jackpot

Banned
I didn't think it was so bad. You could tell it was losing its way but the venom of people's reactions made it seem like it was another Warrior Within.

Dec

There are aspects I liked, but I hated how co-op compromised the solo experience. Even side quests that could be played solo had no save points because of co-op, and the narrative was ridiculous if playing alone. Carver appears out of nowhere during cutscenes, delivers exposition, walks just out of frame, then vanishes once you regain control. It's jarring and sloppy, and I resented its inclusion.

Hilariously it's also jarring if you play coop. There are many set piece scenes where the main character barely makes a jump or something and Carver is no where to be seen in the action scene but then once gameplay resumes Carver is still right beside him. Or even Carver is somehow already on the other side of a jump scene and catches the main character.

I legitimately thought Carver died in a scene like the above and then he reappeared and that's when I realized that he was supposed to be an important character.

Bold One

DS3 is a good game and for me was a fun ride, my biggest complaint is butchering of Ellie's character, she was great in DS2. In the third game she was unrecognisable -personality wise.

It's not very scary, but it is a good game. It got shit on because it wasn't the follow-up people wanted. If you go back to it, it's a fun 3rd person shooter with the Dead Space theme. Some nice bosses and set pieces. They made some major mistakes, but if you take it for what it is, you should have a good time.

DrDerekDrs

Neo Member
I feel like I should go back and give this a proper chance, although I'm still slightly holding out hope that EA will cobble together a DS1-3 remastered for the PS4/Xbone because I'd deffo play though all 3 if they did that.

Luminaire

Ok, so, I beat it!

Yay. The last chapter was pretty interesting, I think. I did enjoy it more than 2's run-up to the boss (regenerators, why?) but 2 was a much better game overall, as stated before. Overall I liked it. Some parts frustrated me and stressed me out (MONSTER CLOSETS #$^$%&$%&) and I felt the game was a chapter or two too long. However, it's not the worst thing in the world like some people have made it out to be.

Things I liked: The space graveyard thing, the snowstorms, the Lost Planet-esque feeling, the weapon crafting, Carver (in a story sense, not the jarring stuff), the ending, the setpieces, the sidequests (starting ones).

Things I didn't like: The monster closets, the painfully obvious ambushes, the quanity-over-quality enemy encounters (why not throw 15 of an enemy at them instead of one-two interesting one?), cutting me to just two weapons, confusion at the 'team favorite weapons'.

Story stuff:
I have zero problem with the moon. They've been spouting this convergence/rebirth bullshit since DS1 and all the movies. It makes sense there is this giant thing that is "we are one!" floating about.

The ending
Sure, it's depressing but there's room for a DS4 I think. They said there are necromorph moon things all over. Also, Ellie survived (SOMEHOW - with ZERO burns). I wouldn't be surprised if Carver survived. His helmet wasn't broken and he just got swept off screen. I could believe he found his way to the derelict ship if it somehow survived. It also seems Isaac survived.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't very scary but neither was 2 after a while. Someones mention of a heavily armed walking tank seemed spot on. Though the twitchy warpy enemies were kinda scary. I hate that kind of motion. I see why it's divisive now, but it seems like an OK game. Not great, just OK. I may not have been as upset about it because I didn't revere 1 and 2, so my expectations weren't super high for 3. I had no hype leading up to it or going into it. Also, I paid like $6 for it, so I don't feel ripped off. Going in with no real expectations other than "I need to finish the trilogy" may have softened the blow, if there was any to take.

Anyways, I'm in for an HD Remaster and/or new Dead Space game. Chances are we'll get neither, but we can hope.

boltz

This is not an argument. The game isn't designed around being played on the hardest difficulty. That is not the way the game is meant to be played, it is there for players who enjoy the game and want greater challenge. Still, I did finish the game on the hardest difficulty and it still wasn't that difficult.

I have met many people who also find the 3rd movie to be their favourite.

Wasnt meant to be an argument, just an observation that I enjoyed DS a lot more on the hardest difficulty setting and made the game live up to being a survival horror game. But I played DS2 and DS3 on a lower difficulty because less ammo plus the game throwing mobs at you was just annoying and not fun.

Ok, so, I beat it!

Yay. The last chapter was pretty interesting, I think. I did enjoy it more than 2's run-up to the boss (regenerators, why?) but 2 was a much better game overall, as stated before. Overall I liked it. Some parts frustrated me and stressed me out (MONSTER CLOSETS #$^$%&$%&) and I felt the game was a chapter or two too long. However, it's not the worst thing in the world like some people have made it out to be.

Things I liked: The space graveyard thing, the snowstorms, the Lost Planet-esque feeling, the weapon crafting, Carver (in a story sense, not the jarring stuff), the ending, the setpieces, the sidequests (starting ones).

Things I didn't like: The monster closets, the painfully obvious ambushes, the quanity-over-quality enemy encounters (why not throw 15 of an enemy at them instead of one-two interesting one?), cutting me to just two weapons, confusion at the 'team favorite weapons'.

Story stuff:
I have zero problem with the moon. They've been spouting this convergence/rebirth bullshit since DS1 and all the movies. It makes sense there is this giant thing that is "we are one!" floating about.

The ending
Sure, it's depressing but there's room for a DS4 I think. They said there are necromorph moon things all over. Also, Ellie survived (SOMEHOW - with ZERO burns). I wouldn't be surprised if Carver survived. His helmet wasn't broken and he just got swept off screen. I could believe he found his way to the derelict ship if it somehow survived. It also seems Isaac survived.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't very scary but neither was 2 after a while. Someones mention of a heavily armed walking tank seemed spot on. Though the twitchy warpy enemies were kinda scary. I hate that kind of motion. I see why it's divisive now, but it seems like an OK game. Not great, just OK. I may not have been as upset about it because I didn't revere 1 and 2, so my expectations weren't super high for 3. I had no hype leading up to it or going into it. Also, I paid like $6 for it, so I don't feel ripped off. Going in with no real expectations other than "I need to finish the trilogy" may have softened the blow, if there was any to take.

Anyways, I'm in for an HD Remaster and/or new Dead Space game. Chances are we'll get neither, but we can hope.

As much as I like the DS series, I don't think I could sit through another DS game. I don't see what else they could do with the DS formula so another game would be mostly a retread of already used mechanics and ideas. Open world DS a la mirrors edge? J/k :p

Mike M

Nick N
I thought the best part about the moon was
that no one ever thought to question why the moon was broken, presumably because humanity regularly does "planet cracking" and wouldn't think twice about seeing busted-up planetoids.

Top Bottom