• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Devil May Cry is kicking my ass

I had played the demo and I really liked it. I always wanted to own this game, but for some reason I always put it back to later, and later... and then waiting for a price drop... and then it eventually got lost among the flood of good games and I never bought it. Recently though I found out that there is a triplepack out for a more-than-decent price, so I thought it was now or never.

So I started playing, and got through the first level. At which point the game asked me if I wanted to switch to Easy mode. Being a fan of Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, and having beat the game many times and thinking it's not as hard as anyone says, of course I declined the offer. I was certain that Easy was for wussies and that I'd make it through Normal just fine.

But right now, I'm not. The game is kicking my ass. After having to retry the fight against the big spider at least 10 times... and now facing another boss which is kicking my ass, and eventually exhausting the mere 3 continues at my disposal, forced to restart the whole damn mission all over to probably get my ass kicked again... well I'm starting to get a little frustrated.

Am I missing something here? Didn't they think that saving right before a big boss was a nice thing to offer (like Ninja Gaiden does)?

Or was this game meant to be played on Easy, even by someone who considers himself a hardcore gamer?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Do NOT play on Easy. It's more than Easy, it's Easy Automatic. The game plays itself.

Now, it gets easier as time goes on. You just gotta be calm, never rush into attacking, find the pattersna dn openings, and you'll be good.

Where are you stick? The first Phantom encounter is usually very hard for people. Lack of moves and health and DT and whatnot. It's usually smoother sailing from then, so let us know exactly where you are/what the problem is. =]

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
SnakeXs said:
Do NOT play on Easy. It's more than Easy, it's Easy Automatic. The game plays itself.

Now, it gets easier as time goes on. You just gotta be calm, never rush into attacking, find the pattersna dn openings, and you'll be good.

Where are you stick? The first Phantom encounter is usually very hard for people. Lack of moves and health and DT and whatnot. It's usually smoother sailing from then, so let us know exactly where you are/what the problem is. =]

Yep. Its been a while since I played it, so, go a little into details plz.

God I love this game.

It is very unforgiving, yes...you have to keep in mind it came out five years ago. But it's worth it. You have to learn that you just can't afford to get hit. You have to learn to anticipate what the boss is going to do, what weapons work best on each boss, etc. It's a tough game but rewarding; stick with it!

Funny that you said that about Ninja Gaiden...that game intimidates me but Devil May Cry I played until I beat it (on Normal; I never switched to easy mode). In fact I played well into Hard difficulty with the first DMC. What's the general consensus from those who have played both? Which is harder?

It sounds to me like he's stuck on the first
Nelo Angelo
fight. I was stuck there for awhile too.

SnakeXs said:
The first Phantom encounter is usually very hard for people. Lack of moves and health and DT and whatnot. It's usually smoother sailing from then, so let us know exactly where you are/what the problem is. =]

If the first Phantom is
the dark dude that morphs from your reflection in the mirror
, then yeah, that's him.

No, you just suck.

You say you might be missing something, but in a week when you're tearing shit up in Dante Must Die mode flawlessly you'll ever wonder why you posted this thread in the first place. (Trust me, it happens to all of us).

Some tips:

Learn to think 60% defense, 40% offense. Get your finger off the shoot button and roll and double jump your away around the map. Only shoot when you integrate your attacks with your sword. (hightiming an enemy, R1+back+O*press and hold) and then juggle in the air.

Also, get used to pressing R1 to perform various attacks as well as dodging around, R1+left/right+triangle (jump button).

Buy devil trigger moves.

Stinger is great, but more importantly Air Raid is our best friend. (the move that allows you to fly and shoot thunderbolts from the air).

Fight stylishly (mixing up various attacks in differnet orders etc.) so that you can gain more red orbs. Therefore, you fight stylishly, you won't be having problems buying continues (yellow orbs).

Man, somebody give this guy some combo videos. Dahbomb where you at?

EDIT: You're having trouble with Nero Angelo.

Bottom line, GET YOUR FINGER OFF THE ATTACK BUTTON, you're playing Devil May Cry not Dynasty Warriors.

Let him attack first -- watch his attack (both visually and auditorally) and roll/dodge. After he does so THEN YOU ATTACK.

never attack nelo angelo first, he'll make you his bitch. instead, let him attack -- evade accordingly, and then you counter attack. If you clash swords with him via parry, dodge, don't 'out muscle him'. Unlike Ninja Gaiden, you can't block block block flying swallow all day to beat bosses.

So I started playing, and got through the first level. At which point the game asked me if I wanted to switch to Easy mode.

As I recall, the game only offers you easy mode after the first mission if you died more than 3 times on mission 1, 2 or 3. So -- I don't know about you but if you died 3 times on the games introduction mission you should have opted to choose easy. However, it's good you didn't - because the game's true colors only come out on the harder settings.

But right now, I'm not. The game is kicking my ass.
Well yeah, you died multiple times on mission 1, so at completion the game offered easy mode -- you shouldn't be surprised you are having troubles.

Or was this game meant to be played on Easy, even by someone who considers himself a hardcore gamer?

The game is meant to be played on normal, problem is -- Devil May Cry is the few games out there where every item matters, every move matters, every pattern recognition matters. Most people are used to playing games where they pick up restorative items and never in gods creation think to use them or even need them. DMC, not so much. You just have to change your mindset. That vital star you picked up? Yeah -- save that and remember that little sucker like it's the up up down down contra konami code.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Oh, and a good thing to abuse would be the regular combo. Don't mash attack, but, do it a couple of times, pause for a split second, and hit it again to do more damage.

Nero isn't that tough this form. Just keep an eye on what he is doing and nail him when he gets cocky. Stinger is a great move to use in this fight if you are intimidated. Attack, roll out of the way to give yourself some distance and use that when you see an opening.

Oldschoolgamer said:
Oh, and a good thing to abuse would be the regular combo. Don't mash attack, but, do it a couple of times, pause for a split second, and hit it again to do more damage.

What he means is:

O,O,O
O,O (pause) O,O
O,O (long pause) O,O,O,O,O,O,O,O,O,O,O,O,O,O,O,O,O
R1+Back+O
R1+Back+O (press and hold)
R1+Foward+O
O*press and hold
L1 - Devil Trigger > (while in mid-air) Press R1, then mash X.

C- Warrior said:
As I recall, the game only offers you easy mode after the first mission if you died more than 3 times on mission 1, 2 or 3. So -- I don't know about you but if you died 3 times on the games introduction mission you should have opted to choose easy. However, it's good you didn't - because the game's true colors only come out on the harder settings.

It's the NTSC version. And it offered me the Easy mode after Mission 1 (before the spider boss). And I certainly didn't die 3 times in Mission 1. I didn't die once.

Maybe they updated the NTSC version with the PAL modifications for the triplepack?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
AtomicShroom said:
Maybe they updated the NTSC version with the PAL modifications for the triplepack?

Quite likely that they updated the NTSC version for the Greatest Hits re-release. We know that despite the lack of the red stripe of shame, DMC3 in the triple pack is the SE (with loads of new features), which was ONLY available previously as a GH release.

AtomicShroom said:
It's the NTSC version. And it offered me the Easy mode after Mission 1 (before the spider boss). And I certainly didn't die 3 times in Mission 1. I didn't die once.

They might have. I mean, it's kind of ass-backward retarded to offer an easy mode when said player hasn't demonstrated difficulties with normal.

It's been too long, maybe you used a vital star or something?

If not, it may have been updated with PAL settings, because I remember the NTSC version of offering easy made sense (like it did with DMC3) (aka, you die, you suck, game takes pity on you etc.) And that the PAL version of DMC1 offered easy after mission 1 no matter what, which is -as said above- stupid.

But then again -- despite that -- I wish most games did what DMC does. And have easy as an option only till' after the player as experienced the game on normal for at least a little bit. People would be surprised at how many games they could have finished on normal instead of easy.

Mejilan said:
Quite likely that they updated the NTSC version for the Greatest Hits re-release. We know that despite the lack of the red stripe of shame, DMC3 in the triple pack is the SE (with loads of new features), which was ONLY available previously as a GH release.

I think he's talking about DMC1. I don't believe any changes were made to DMC1 with the non GH to GH versions. DMC3's SE (greatest hit version) was made massively easier when compared to the original (non-GH) DMC3.

PS> The easy GH version of DMC3 is included in the collectors pack.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
C- Warrior said:
I think he's talking about DMC1. I don't believe any changes were made to DMC1 with the non GH to GH versions. DMC3's SE (greatest hit version) was made massively easier when compared to the original (non-GH) DMC3.

PS> The easy GH version of DMC3 is included in the collectors pack.

Reread. I know what game he was talking about. I merely brought up DMC3 as a precedence within the franchise for having an update occur.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Just wait until you are playing on hard mode and you have to
fight off two shadow lions on a narrow path while keeping track of/following a ball of light.

I have a friend who beat DMC2 in like three hours. And then couldnt get past the third level of DMC3, and ended up quitting it. He likes the games and Dante as a character, he just sucks ass at them for some reason.

nitewulf

Dice said:
Just wait until you are playing on hard mode and you have to
fight off two shadow lions on a narrow path while keeping track of/following a ball of light.
3 shadows ;)
that's where i finally got stuck all those years ago and couldn't progress anymore. not because of a lack of skill, but my hand just gave up, i couldn't physically do it.

as for the OP, DMC is tough initially, so you have to play smart. restart the game on normal, kill as much generic enemies as you can by re entering rooms, collect lots, lots of red orbs. you have to buy the special that allows you to float and fire lightning shots. it's pretty easy to save up and buy it.

as for the nelo angelo fight, evade his attacks THEN close in and slice him up, and step back again. it's rinse and repeat. he changes forms and gets harder and harder, but what you gotta learn is to evade. THAT'S why dnate is so agile, you MUST move around. his agility is what makes DMC so much fun to play.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ToyMachine228 said:
I have a friend who beat DMC2 in like three hours. And then couldnt get past the third level of DMC3, and ended up quitting it. He likes the games and Dante as a character, he just sucks ass at them for some reason.

DMC2 is horribly broken, so you can beat it easily.

Ah the memories. Playing DMC1 on Dante Must Die was one of the best gaming moments of my life. I never felt so extremely hardcore before.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
nitewulf said:
3 shadows ;)
I don't remember how many there were, I just remember my friend and I deciding to beat that mode one night and hitting that spot at like 3am, it was just too much for the time. The big problem wasn't so much fighting them as it was the ambiguous line that sends you to the previous screen if you cross it, restarting the entire sequence. It was such a pain to dodge them without accidentally doing this. They don't let you go forward to skip them but they'll let you go back and have to fight them over again, like a super hardcore lost woods. I bet I still have the file saved there.

Dahbomb

There are actually 3 Secret missions in which you fight 3 Shadows. One in which you fight them simultaneously, one in which you fight them one by one and one where you have to hunt them down in different rooms.

Anyway Nelo Angelo is pretty easy, just abuse the Sashimi move and Stinger (Sashimi = O,O, long pause, rapidly press O). Make sure you evade the moves properly, don't half ass it. Use Devil Trigger to break his guard, your DT will completely destroy Nelo Angelo momentarily. The game is easier to get used to the more you play it and when you learn the more advance stuff.

Some usefull DMC n00b tips:

*Guns are almost always weaker than Devil arms. They are used only for support offence, never as primary means of damaging. With the exception of Griffon and Shadows, if you find yourself using firearms too much then you aren't approaching the battle correctly.

*Combos are essential, but so is not getting hit during them. Meaning you cannot afford to go all offense and then forget about enemy attacks, you will be punished in more than one way. Getting hit during combos eliminates your rank progression and thus cuts of the extra red orbs bonus. It is just essential to not get hit at all. There are invincible frames during the standard Roll in DMC, abuse it greatly.

*DT or Devil Trigger (in DMC1) needs to be used a lot during intense combats. It breaks many enemy guards and makes you faster/stronger as well as give you regenerative abilities. There are also ultra powerful DT exclusive moves that you should use to own up bosses with.

*Never use the O x 3 combo (where you just tap O 3 times). It's laggy and slow plus it leaves your vulnerable. The last hit needs to be cancelled either into a Stinger or Hightime 90% of the time or cancelled completely (by attempting to pull out your guns, after which you can slash 2 more times uninterrupted and then cancel again for uninterruped flow of standard slashes).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Another HUGE tip is to pause and manually save before any major encounters(especially after finishing secret missions). This won't actually save your location upon continue, but it banks any orbs, collectibales, purchases, and whatever you have done in the level up to that point, thus giving you a bit of a persistent gain with each reload. Otherwise, all that progress is reset. If you're killing screenfuls of drones before being whipped by a boss, all that loot is lost if you don't pause-save.

Remember, bank your shit with each attempt!

nitewulf

Dice said:
I don't remember how many there were, I just remember my friend and I deciding to beat that mode one night and hitting that spot at like 3am, it was just too much for the time. The big problem wasn't so much fighting them as it was the ambiguous line that sends you to the previous screen if you cross it, restarting the entire sequence. It was such a pain to dodge them without accidentally doing this. They don't let you go forward to skip them but they'll let you go back and have to fight them over again, like a super hardcore lost woods. I bet I still have the file saved there.
same here, i could never get past that point in hard mode. fact is, i could always evade them, but after a point my hand just gave up. and its just too hard to finish 'em off cause you just cant get close enough to do much damage. as one shadow gets vulnerable, so you want to move in to do some heavy damage...you got 2 other shadows chasing you around, so you cant actually close in. and if you recall, the shadows can evade shotgun shots, so thats no good. i could kill one easily, and then evade the other two for 15-20 minutes till my hands would start to hurt. not difficult per se...just too long of a sequence and not enough room to manuever as you say, its a cliff face IIRC.

ToyMachine228 said:

Did he play DMC3 on easy -- the GH easy mode is beyond easy, but understandably the non-GH orginal DMC3 easy is still pretty damn tough. DMC3's easy is probably harder than DMC2's Dante Must Die mode :lol

I'm just bumping this thread because Devil May Cry is currently kicking my ass.

I just have to be much more patient on this Phantom boss (or whatever he is, the evil Dante that turns into some guy). I thought I just got off to a good start and then BAM he just took half of my life away, goddamn it.

The first times you fight bosses, you'll end up unequivocally owned unless you are very, very good, or have enough health to properly observe all their attacks and techniques with which to counter (dodge).

In other words, keep at it.

Pureauthor said:
The first times you fight bosses, you'll end up unequivocally owned unless you are very, very good, or have enough health to properly observe all their attacks and techniques with which to counter (dodge).

In other words, keep at it.
I plan to. I just gotta cut down on the mistakes. The game is still fun as hell so far. The combination of gun(s) plus sword equals awesome.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
dr3upmushroom said:
Sorry to inform you, but you suck...
No, Nelo Angelo was a tough bastard. You can't really play DMC like a traditional action game. The boss fights play out like the ones in Megaman (learn the patterns or die).

Every attack has a cue and every enemy has a limited attack pattern. Once you learn that then you are on the way to mastering the game.

SapientWolf said:
No, Nelo Angelo was a tough bastard. You can't really play DMC like a traditional action game. The boss fights play out like the ones in Megaman (learn the patterns or die).

Every attack has a cue and every enemy has a limited attack pattern. Once you learn that then you are on the way to mastering the game.
ah I was just kidding, but I don't remember the game being that predictable... although DMC3 was a different story.

Petrarca

Banned
ah......the old classic one-and-only Devil May Cry...

brings back alot of memory of pain, frustration, awe, satisfaction

Smokey

Just picked this game up last Friday and got past the first stage which is nothing. Haven't started the 2nd yet.

I also picked up San Andreas yesterday.

So now my PS2 collection reads:

Shadow of the Colossus
Devil May Cry 1(for $8 too)
GTA: SA (free because EB doesn't take the original M version and the guy was trading in his PS2 and asked if I wanted it)

Why didn't anybody tell me the PS2 was so awesome. I've played the usuals MGS, FF, and others here and there but I've never really gotten into Playstation and I'm trying to change that(even though I own a freakin PS3 + the other two:lol )

Smokey Bones said:
Just picked this game up last Friday and got past the first stage which is nothing. Haven't started the 2nd yet.

I also picked up San Andreas yesterday.

So now my PS2 collection reads:

Shadow of the Colossus
Devil May Cry 1(for $8 too)
GTA: SA (free because EB doesn't take the original M version and the guy was trading in his PS2 and asked if I wanted it)

Why didn't anybody tell me the PS2 was so awesome. I've played the usuals MGS, FF, and others here and there but I've never really gotten into Playstation and I'm trying to change that.
I've been doing the same thing as you, only I picked up my PS2 last summer. Been in gaming heaven since. I have no need for next-gen at the moment.

CajoleJuice said:
It's not nice to kick a man while he's down.
Haha, I know... games have kicked my ass too you know... Anyways, I guess just being a big DMC nut helped me through out the game. The only hard part was those damn lizards that pop out of the ground.

Smokey

CajoleJuice said:
I've been doing the same thing as you, only I picked up my PS2 last summer. Been in gaming heaven since. I have no need for next-gen at the moment.

Yeah. I guess I'm just trying to go a few games at a time. Because I'm so bored shitless at work(EB) I sit and stare at the PS2 wall and I literally get intimidated about where to start. Every Friday I'm going in the $9.99 and under bins and getting something. Got DMC1 last week and GTA:SA for free this past Friday.

I just got a strange itch to play the PS2 for some reason, even though I own all 3 next gen systems.

Smokey Bones said:
Yeah. I guess I'm just trying to go a few games at a time. Because I'm so bored shitless at work(EB) I sit and stare at the PS2 wall and I literally get intimidated about where to start. Every Friday I'm going in the $9.99 and under bins and getting something. Got DMC1 last week and GTA:SA for free this past Friday.

I just got a strange itch to play the PS2 for some reason, even though I own all 3 next gen systems.
Maybe cause PS2 is one of the best consoles...

dr3upmushroom said:
Maybe cause PS2 is one of the best consoles...
So very true.

I can't believe my cheap ass waited so long to get one.

Update: I came so ****ing close to beating him, but then got my ass kicked again the next two times. I AM DEAD

Shit. I'm not going to sleep until I beat this bastard.

CajoleJuice said:
So very true.

I can't believe my cheap ass waited so long to get one.

Update: I came so ****ing close to beating him, but then got my ass kicked again the next two times. I AM DEAD

Shit. I'm not going to sleep until I beat this bastard.
Seriously, how could you wait on the PS2? Anyways, don't fall asleep... beat the game...

Smokey

dr3upmushroom said:
Seriously, how could you wait on the PS2? Anyways, don't fall asleep... beat the game...

I know I did because I'm a big multi-player person and we all know where the PS2 stands on that front.

Top Bottom