• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Die Hard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicanica

The awful CGI action scenes leave a bad taste in my mouth.
They dont feel authentic.

Case in point:
diehard4.gif

Except for the green screen and extra glass debris, this was all real.

8289_1184267423.jpg

Might want to look at the movie again as they crashed a car into a helicopter and melded 2 different shots together.

8289_1184267017.jpg

This is the only fully CG shot in the movie:
8289_1184268063.jpg

My rebuttle. Describe to me what you think is "authentic"

I haven't seen 5 yet, but it has my favorite title of all of them.

I really just love "A Good Day to Die Hard". Apparently it's terrible but I can't be mad at that title

Volotaire

So my thoughts on Die Hard 2..... it was nowhere near as good as the first, characters I didn't care about (villains and good characters), characters that were just extras, plot lines carried on from the last film that were't necessary, ridiculous twists, insane stunts, but damn if that wasn't fun I don't know what was.

I might watch 3 later today, and stop there for the moment. Goddamit McClane

mclem

Yes! And it does count!

"What's your favourite Christmas movie?"
"Die Hard"
"That's not a Christmas movie!"

That's a conversation I have every year. It's as much of a tradition as Christmas itself.

Easy rebuttal: It's A Wonderful Life is arguably as much of a Christmas movie as Die Hard is. And no-one would really deny *that* as a Christmas movie.

sarcastor

did anyone play the Die Hard Trilogy on the PS1? It was a 1st person shooter, a third person action game and a crazy taxi rip off. all in one game! oh the memories

9028_full.jpg

mclem

did anyone play the Die Hard Trilogy on the PS1? It was a 1st person shooter, a third person action game and a crazy taxi rip off. all in one game! oh the memories

9028_full.jpg

Well, I played the Saturn version, but yeah, a rather good collection of games. Although With A Vengeance was ludicrously hard, I found.

I think there was a recent thread over on gaming-side.

SteveWD40

Yes! And it does count!

"Die Hard"

That's a conversation I have every year. It's as much of a tradition as Christmas itself.

There is a small indie cinema here in Manchester, every year they do Christmas movies (It's a Wonderful Life etc...) and they do a vote for the best Christmas movies to show, amongst other winners (Scrooged etc...) Die Hard wins the vote on numerous occasions.

Seeing it in a cinema with a crowd is amazing as well.

dejay

Banned
I watch Die Hard every Christmas. I'll watch the third instalment once a year too. I didn't like Die Harder and number 4 just sucked. I'm not even bothering with five - some of the clips I've scene just turn me right off.

diehard4.gif

Except for the green screen and extra glass debris, this was all real.

8289_1184267423.jpg

I think the problem with that scene is that the two people aren't really lit well. I doesn't look like they're actually in the scene. If I put my thumb over them the scene looks pretty good.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It makes me sad, that 4 gets even better reception in light of the horribleness that is Die Hard 5. I thought 4 was already garbage.

The first three are all great in their own way though.

My opinion of 4 has always been the same. I didn't even get around to seeing 5 until a few weeks ago.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
something that doesnt look fake and implausible

You're fighting a losing battle on the fake part.
Implausible, sure. But what did you think of Ghost Protocol? At one point Ethan Hunt is in a car that falls 300 feet straight down into a concrete floor and immediately gets out and sprints away.

Boss Mog

4 is equal to 2, a little worse than 3 in my eyes. sure the techy jargon is out of this world dumb, but the villains have personality, the action scenes are great, and McClane feels like McClane.

Totally agree with this. 4 does not deserve the bad rep it gets, While not as good as 1 and 3, it still felt well structured and well paced, had decent villains and good McClane moments. I mean compared to 5, 4 is like the Citizen Kane of Die Hards.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nothing compares to 1 just because very few movies, Die Hard or otherwise, have the chemistry of McClane and Gruber. Like... top 10 movie chemistry between a good guy and bad guy of all time.

KAP151

Die Hard is watched at Christmas time every year in my house, along with Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Such a great action flick and Willis is amazing as McLane. Holds up incredibly well.

That being said, if you are going down the whole Die Hard line....

For the love of god, do NOT watch the last one. Bruce Willis didnt even phone it in. He simply did not give a fuck the entire movie and boy it shows.

4th is brilliant in comparison and that says a lot.

liquidtmd

Banned
Bruce Willis didnt even phone it in. He simply did not give a fuck the entire movie and boy it shows.

I hear this and im on the fence of seeing it both ways.

Im leaning towards that he actually cant play McClane anymore. He can still act and turn in the odd good performance, but he just tends to play variations on Bruce Willis these days.

Lots of elements of McClane seemed to be Bruce Willis - the smirk et al, but for all the hype it gets as an action film the character of McClane was quite nuanced and deep.

The last film I liked him in was Looper but that was because of the film as a whole, not because of him. He was good in Moonrise Kingdom but thats a very different genre and that made him rise to a challenge

He was the king of action as McClane but I honestly think the genre bores him at this stage and I dont blame him due to the length of doing it. As such though he should just bow out and do random stuff.

12 Monkeys was a great choice and fuck it, I liked his send up of the genre in the whole nine and ten yards.

zoozilla

I haven't seen 5 yet, but it has my favorite title of all of them.

I really just love "A Good Day to Die Hard". Apparently it's terrible but I can't be mad at that title

If they ever make another one (oh god please don't), they should call it "Just Die Hard Already."

deleted

I hear this and im on the fence of seeing it both ways.

Im leaning towards that he actually cant play McClane anymore. He can still act and turn in the odd good performance, but he just tends to play variations on Bruce Willis these days.

Lots of elements of McClane seemed to be Bruce Willis - the smirk et al, but for all the hype it gets as an action film the character of McClane was quite nuanced and deep.

The last film I liked him in was Looper but that was because of the film as a whole, not because of him. He was good in Moonrise Kingdom but thats a very different genre and that made him rise to a challenge

He was the king of action as McClane but I honestly think the genre bores him at this stage and I dont blame him due to the length of doing it. As such though he should just bow out and do random stuff.

12 Monkeys was a great choice and fuck it, I liked his send up of the genre in the whole nine and ten yards.

He's in some pretty bad DTDVD stuff these days. He doesn't care anymore.

Volotaire

Finished 3, that was a fun ride. Better side characters, more interesting journey, still not as good as the first, but damn entertaining!

thekenta

9028_full.jpg

Got my hands on this when I was about 7.
Loved the gore, loved the game.

Nothing compares to 1 just because very few movies, Die Hard or otherwise, have the chemistry of McClane and Gruber. Like... top 10 movie chemistry between a good guy and bad guy of all time.

The whole film is excellently paced and edited. They keep introducing new characters evenly and the action highlights are a great contrast to the slower dialogue moments. And those action scenes are hardhitting and there is no cgi-bullshit.

After rewatching Die hard there are only a couple scenes that seem a little dated. The rest is pretty damn awesome. The director truly owns two of the greatest pics in cinema with Die Hard and Predator. They still stand tall today. Hell, Predator isn't dated in the damn slightest.

1 and 3 are the Die Hard GEMS and no wonder.... 4 was okay at best and 5 was some kind of loopy joke we all pretend does not exist.

He's in some pretty bad DTDVD stuff these days. He doesn't care anymore.

Whole Nine was very good. Just actually rewatched a Bruce Willis collection of

Last Man Standing - B+
The Last Boyscout - Classic RIP T. Scott
16 Blocks - B

Looper and Surrogates were both B+ or A- material for me but obviously not all because of Willis.

I think he is in a great film every now and then. But yeah those Die Hards he should have said no and had more input, though, it is obvious Bruce is mostly just an actor.

"Now I have a machine gun HO HO HO"

Amazing film, the series stops a three for me though, I have the blu ray box set with 1-4 on which I got for £10, I will not buy 5 EVER.

I have collected the first 3 films so many times on dvd and twice on blu-ray (between 2002 - 2010). I have only got one copy of Die Hard 4 (it was marketed as 4.0 in Australia - why they did this AND not call it live free or die hard here is beyond me) and don't intend to collect more copies of it. I marathon the first 3 films at least once.... sometimes 4-5-6 times every year............................ i pretend 4.0 and now 5 don't exist.

I remember watching the movies when i was little.......... however i went some years without seeing them. I was first exposed to With a Vengeance in the late 90's (yep i was a bit slow considering it came out in 95 lol). It became my favorite in the series and one i could watch over and over again and enjoy it every single time.

i didn't watch Die Hard or Die Harder again until the early 2000's - when i got both of the 2 disc special edition dvd sets. I got a barebones single disc edition of with a vengeance a few years later (Australia was super slow we didn't get a version with quality special features of With a Vengeance until the late 2000's). I collected the movies again severla times to "freshen up" the discs of the original copies i had (i watched them so much they were a little worse for wear haha).

Anyway i had a new appreciation for the original, it became my favorite in the series once again. I even had an appreciation for the second film even though most people rubbish it..... i still think it's good.

I would rate the series as the movies came out, the first time i watched the 4th movie i was disgusted it was not a Die Hard movie.... you can't just shoe-horn trade mark phrases and say yep it's Die Hard.... it wasn't even a Die Hard-esque story.

I say this whenever the topic comes up but they could have turned many of Bruce's previous films into a Die Hard story (see Hostages or 16 Blocks for better Bruce Willis films in the 2000 - era) and this is what we ended up with LOL.

I have not seen the 5th film and i don't plan to.

One of my favorite playstation games and my best value purchase considering how often i played it. I actually completed the sections in reverse order (found the driving in WAV super easy, whereas i kept on dying in the Nakatomi building).

Yes! And it does count!

"Die Hard"

The funny thing is, it is a Christmas movie... i actually included the first two (and later the third as i felt empty not watching it having watched the other two considering it was Christmas time lol) and had a christmas movie marathon last year... it was pretty epic i have to say.

daveo42

Banned
1 is the best
2 is good
3 is better
4 is Egh, but fun

They made a 5?

This is about right. I think Vengeance was more fun than 1 or 2, but it just wasn't near as good as the original. 4 is a good action movie, but a pretty bad Die Hard movie. It should have just been Bruce Willis Action Movie! or something. I kind of want to see 5, but I'm afraid of how bad it actually is.

OP, please remember that the original Die Hard is also the best Christmas film in existence and should be watched with family and friends next to a roaring fireplace every year during that wonderful season of giving.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Die Hard with a Vengeance was the first Die Hard movie I saw and it remains my favorite. The original is excellent, the second one sucked. Haven't bothered with the later iterations.

hbkdx12

I'm not a fan of cracked but they pretty much ironically had it right when they said that in order for the new Die Hard movie to be good that McClane needed to have a black partner/side kick.

Die Hard 1 and Die Hard w/ a Vengeance are ace. Not necessary because of Reginald Vel Johnson and Sam Jackson (that's debateable) but correlation/coincidences and all that jazz

I love Die Hard with a Vengeance. I could watch that movie pretty much all day and quote 95% of that movie.

hbkdx12

I kind of want to see 5, but I'm afraid of how bad it actually is.
Its far worse then you could probably imagine. It's just really dumb and so bad that you have to wonder how/why it got greenlit in the first place. They really pushed their luck with the whole "hur hur McClane is old and doesn't understand technology hur hur" in 4 but it was atleast mindlessly enjoyable because of the action. Not to mention that something about him in 4 made him look like someone who was over the hump but you could tell was at one time a badass and still had badass tendencies. In the last movie he comes off way softer since they're cramming this whole father/son angle down your throat which is not what you want from John McClane.

Die Hard with a Vengeance was the first Die Hard movie I saw and it remains my favorite. The original is excellent, the second one sucked. Haven't bothered with the later iterations.
Vengeance was my first die hard as well. Then i saw the original and never actually finished the 2nd cuz it just never held my interest but vengeance is just too damn awesome.

quickwhips

This is about right. I think Vengeance was more fun than 1 or 2, but it just wasn't near as good as the original. 4 is a good action movie, but a pretty bad Die Hard movie. It should have just been Bruce Willis Action Movie! or something. I kind of want to see 5, but I'm afraid of how bad it actually is.

OP, please remember that the original Die Hard is also the best Christmas film in existence and should be watched with family and friends next to a roaring fireplace every year during that wonderful season of giving.

I was the biggest die hard fan even liking 4 until I saw 5. That fucking script ruined Die Hard for me also the actors if you call it that. I still love Die Hard though.

Ban Puncher

The original Die Hard is one of those rare examples of a perfect movie.

Fuck the sequels. Except Vengeance, that one was okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom