• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dragon Age Inquisition - All DLCs

Patryn

The DAI DLCs are something that I've had for a while, but didn't get around to playing them because I wanted to make some changes to my decisions from my first playthrough, so I wanted to play them organically in my second.

Took a while for me to start a playthrough, and then I remembered just how long this game was.

First thing I did was play with the new Trials. Knowing that even playing on Hard the end of the game was a cakewalk, I activated Even Ground (all enemies scaled), Walk Softly (random enemies get new abilities/massive buffs), and Grizzly End (some bears promoted to boss level).

For my first playthrough I had gone rogue, but this time I decided to go Warrior/Champion.

Things I quickly learned:

Even Ground and Walk Softly turns mages into some of the most annoying enemies I have ever seen. There were far too many times that I would very nearly have finally taken down a mage's barrier only to have them refresh it. I screamed in rage more than one time, but it finally taught me to bring at least one mage with Dispel at all times. Also learned the benefit of dispelling at least some enemies in Rift's second waves.

Champion Warriors just don't die, once you get a few levels under your belt. Especially if you get a weapon/shield that adds Guard on hit. However, their damage output can be underwhelming at times.

Even Ground is a double-edged sword. DAI is set up so that if you end up overleveled, enemies will stop giving experience. As Even Ground prevents you from being overleveled by dragging enemies to your level, if you try to be competitionist like me it's very easy to hit the level cap WELL before the end of the game. Which was my problem: I got towards the end of the game with just the final couple of story missions left, along with 2 of the DLCs including the Descent and I hit the level cap. Between that and me finding an axe that from research appeared to be the strongest weapon I could ever find or craft, I lost my motivation.

So I started over, 100 hours in. This time I went Rogue again, because I had such a good time with the class the first time. I also went smarter: I started with Walk Softly, Grizzly End, and Rest Easy (lose all focus every time you rest or fast travel), but I also activated Take It Slow (50% EXP gain) when I hit level 6.

I must say, Take It Slow seems like it was designed for completionists. If I did it again, I'd just have Take It Slow on from the start.

Regardless, I played through the game. Again. And reaffirmed that, unlike many people, I actually really like it. I did all the quests in all the regions again, and did most of the collection quests, barring the furniture stuff.

As for the DLCS:

Jaws of Hakkon - Really enjoyable. I liked the cohesive story to the area, along with the changing conditions. I like how the different areas of the map had slightly different feelings. The combat difficulty jump was a little jarring (holy crap could those Hakkon archers put out burst damage and blow me the fuck up), but mostly enjoyed the renewed challenge. The bits of lore doled out were pretty interesting, as well. However: Fuck poison spiders. I hated every time I had to go up the river because of those fuckers.

I'd say that it was worth the money for most players.

The Descent - I have never minded the Deep Roads sections, and this is no different. My largest problem was how dark some of the areas could be. There's a bit of interesting lore stuff going on, but I'm uncertain if I like it in context of the series or not. I was disappointed that the Gear door stuff didn't really lead to anything major.

Reading up, I guess some people found the final boss difficult, but I did what I always did: As a tempest, I popped Fire Flask and then spammed Throwing Blades with the increasing damage per hit modifier. That would pretty much shred every boss in the game (Corypheus was a goddamn joke. Killed him pretty much under 90 seconds, and it only took that long because of the cutscenes).

Probably worth it only if you really love the game like I do, or you're really interested in Dwarf culture in Dragon Age.

Trespasser - The main course, and holy crap did it deliver. I had seen a lot of people compare it to Citadel, and while the comparison didn't quite fit, there were certainly moments that reminded me of it.

Getting to catch up with all my party members was great, albeit somewhat forced in the opening in a way that you can tell the game wanted to get all that out of the way to get to the meat of the matter.

The Qunari can be tough sons of bitches to fight. I see that Bioware retained the whole burst damage thing from Hakkon, because there were quite a few times when I just got blowed up. However, it was cool to bring Iron Bull along and get his perspective. It's more fascinating to read about how he can betray you if you decide to sacrifice the Chargers, a choice I almost made because I saved them in my first game. So glad that I just couldn't do it, sad card for Bull be damned.

More than anything what I appreciate is that it gives a fulfilling ending to the game. The ending of vanilla Inquisition feels so rushed and forced. I had totally forgotten that the final mission is just the final boss, and that's an underwhelming fight in the first place (probably because Corypheus ends up being a wasted villain who has a grand entrance and then gets his ass kicked over and over again).

However, the setup to Solas being the next big villain is done well. If the goal of the game was getting me pumped to play Dragon Age 4, consider me pumped. I disbanded my Inquisition with the angry speech ending in my Inquisitor telling the Exalted Council that she had to go save the world, AGAIN and was like Fuck Yeah!

The whole thing makes me really happy that my wife convinced me to play an elf. Honestly, the game is so slanted towards Elf history and lore that playing any other race would feel like I was missing a ton.

I will admit that I told Solas that I'd try to redeem him, but dude is a giant dumb ass. For an ancient god, he sucks at planning. His attempt to stop the other gods led to the ruin of the Elves. His attempt to charge his orb led to Corypheus tearing a hole in the sky and devastating the world. Why does he think his new plan has a chance of working? Idiot.

Definitely worth the money, because it's the ending Dragon Age Inquisition deserved. Also because it's goddamn crucial in a way that few DLC are. Although now that I think about it: Legacy, the last DA2 DLC actually set up Corypheus. And Witch Hunt set up a lot of Eluvian and Morrigan stuff. So maybe it's just that last Dragon Age DLCs are always the important ones?

Anyways, here's a chance for people to talk about how much they hated this game and how I'm totally wrong to have sunk as many hours into it as I have. Or about the game, I don't know, I'm not your boss.

Patryn

How are the Deep Roads in this game?

They're barely in the base game. The one DLC devoted to them is The Descent, and I'll put it this way:

Did you enjoy the Deep Roads in Origins? If so, you'll probably like it. If you loathed them to the depths of your soul, you'll hate them.

If you're wishy-washy about them, then I'm not sure. If you loved DAI I'd say wait for a sale. If you weren't a fan of the game, I'd say avoid it. It's the weakest of the three DLCs.

I really enjoyed The Descent and Trespasser! The Descent was brutal combat wise (the final boss of the DLC was almost a relief in comparison to what came before), and I really liked both companions. Trespasser definitely felt like one of Bioware's strongest DLCs, but as you said, OP, it unfortunately continued their more recent trend where it felt like the true ending to the game was locked behind a paywall. I'm really looking forward to DA4, bring on Tevinter!

...I still have flashbacks from farming promoted nugs in the Emerald Graves for the Walk Softly trials. Jesus. Why.

Patryn

I really enjoyed The Descent and Trespasser! The Descent was brutal combat wise (the final boss of the DLC was almost a relief in comparison to what came before), and I really liked both companions. Trespasser definitely felt like one of Bioware's strongest DLCs, but as you said, OP, it unfortunately continued their more recent trend where it felt like the true ending to the game was locked behind a paywall. I'm really looking forward to DA4, bring on Tevinter!

...I still have flashbacks from farming promoted nugs in the Emerald Graves for the Walk Softly trials. Jesus. Why.

The worst was the first time I got a promoted magic barrier. I spent 5 minutes trying to take it down, but it would regenerate just so quickly.

Eventually figured out the save and reload trick to get it to not be promoted.

selfnoise

The final boss of Descent is savage compared to the entire rest of the game, but is also very easy to cheese-kill. Basically, it's poorly designed.

I think I actually enjoyed Descent more than Hakkon because it felt different... Hakkon just felt like "more game".

I enjoyed Trespasser for the plot but it being very linear and very limited in enemy variety made it a bit dull.

xealo

Really liked what Hakkon did to the difficulty, although it was indeed a bit jarring, especially with trespasser trials on. The Gurd Harofsen fight in that DLC on nightmare mode is hilariously unbalanced with trials on, requiring some serious power gaming to get through,

May be the hardest boss I've ever seen in a Bioware game.

Patryn

Really liked what Hakkon did to the difficulty, although it was indeed a bit jarring, especially with trespasser trials on. The Gurd Harofsen fight in that DLC on nightmare mode is hilariously unbalanced with trials on, requiring some serious power gaming to get through,

May be the hardest boss I've ever seen in a Bioware game.

I dunno. The Harvester in Golems of Amgarrack on Hard or Nightmare was ridiculously difficult, moreso because you just have your main character and a bunch of temporary DLC party members.

xealo

I dunno. The Harvester in Golems of Amgarrack on Hard or Nightmare was ridiculously difficult, moreso because you just have your main character and a bunch of temporary DLC party members.

I feel like this depends a lot on whether the warden is a mage or not. iirc Amgarrack does not give you any healer on the level of what a late game Wynne can do.

Patryn

I feel like this depends a lot on whether the warden is a mage or not. iirc Amgarrack does not give you any healer on the level of what a late game Wynne can do.

Possibly. I never play a mage in Dragon Age, so I haven't tried that fight as one.

Prismo

Neo Member
Over the course of Trespasser as I found out what the Qunari were doing and then when Iron betrayed me I went from 'sure the Qun is an oppressive piece of shit way of life, but hey, you do you' to 'we need the to wipe these motherfuckers out'.

Patryn

Over the course of Trespasser as I found out what the Qunari were doing and then when Iron betrayed me I went from 'sure the Qun is an oppressive piece of shit way of life, but hey, you do you' to 'we need the to wipe these motherfuckers out'.

The sad thing is that strengthening the Veil isn't the worst idea in the world, given the state of magic in Thedas. So much blood magic.

I still tend to side with mages, simply because the Templars are way too often one step away from being mustache twirling villains.

I cant recommend jaws of hakkon to anyone. I really enjoyed the descent and trespasser was fantastic.

If inquisition was the main story + a few major sidequests and descent and trespasser as DLC I would consider it an absolutely amazing game. Unfortunately too much garbage gets in the way of the good stuff

still a good game

Prismo

Neo Member
The sad thing is that strengthening the Veil isn't the worst idea in the world, given the state of magic in Thedas. So much blood magic.

I still tend to side with mages, simply because the Templars are way too often one step away from being mustache twirling villains.

Yeah, I was more talking about assassinating all the world's leaders and subjugating everyone else. I could honestly go either way on the veil.

Kalentan

I think Templars need their due. I do feel like the games make the argument on who to side with, Templars or Mages, waaaaaaay to easy cause one side is clearly more sympathetic then the other. There needs to be a templar companion in DAI2 or something that shows their is good templars.

I assume Iron betrays you if you let his company die and during his personal mission? Cause he stayed loyal to me at least.

As someone who still has to pick this game up from his backlog, one of the things I always take way too long to do in a game like this is choose a class.

You'd recommend rogue?

Patryn

I assume Iron betrays you if you let his company die and during his personal mission? Cause he stayed loyal to me at least.

Yep. If you brought him with you, you probably got that random scene of the Qunari leader calling out to him, and Iron Bull telling her to get fucked.

If you didn't save the Chargers, or didn't do his personal quest, he will instead tell her alright, and immediately turn on your team and you'll be forced to kill him.

In fact, if you don't bring him and didn't save the Chargers or do his personal quest, he will actually show up, tell you that you were smart to not bring him, and then still betray you and you'll be forced to kill him.

As someone who still has to pick this game up from his backlog, one of the things I always take way too long to do in a game like this is choose a class.

You'd recommend rogue?

I go back and forth. I think Warriors are way more fun to play in DAI than they've been in any Dragon Age game. Being able to throw a chain out and drag people right to you is fun as hell, Shield Bash has a really solid THWOMP when you do it, and watching Guard just melt to it is great.

The problem is that overall, their damage output is less than ideal. When I was fighting some dragons, I actually just let my party die, and then tanked the rest of the fight which took forever, but I had so much guard and health, and I gained so much guard from everything that I never was in danger.

Rogues do fucktons of damage and are highly mobile, but they're also pretty squishy. Adding healing when doing poison damage improves them a lot, and then if you craft a weapon that adds guard on top of that helps a ton. They still get creamed in the later DLCs because enemies can put out ridiculous burst damage.

I never play Dragon Age mages, but lots of people swear by the class. Originally Knight Enchanter, a mage advanced class, was considered the strongest in the game, but they got nerfed bad.

So, yeah, I'd recommend rogue, but bear in mind that I'm biased because I always play rogue.

xealo

You'd recommend rogue?

Rogue is very good. When well built it's arguably the class with the highest capable dps in the game.

You can drop high dragons in mere seconds with clever use of mark of death and focus abilities like thousand cuts.

Necrovex

Going to replay DAI soon. I originally went as an elven female mage (great choice, especially for my romantic option). So I want to either play a dual-welded rogue or a two-handed warrior. Which is just funner to play? I am going to role-play as an ardent Qunari Templar player who hates mages, except for Vivinne.

Patryn

Going to replay DAI soon. I originally went as an elven female mage (great choice, especially for my romantic option). So I want to either play a dual-welded rogue or a two-handed warrior. Which is just funner to play? I am going to role-play as an ardent Qunari Templar player who hates mages, except for Vivinne.

If you're going to roleplay as a Templar, I'd go warrior. Templars don't strike me as rogues, honestly.

Honestly, if I was going to play again, I'd go Two-Handed Warrior Champion, so I get the survivability of the Champion along with better damage output. I will miss that get effect and sound of Shield Bash, however.

This reminds me that I need to do a series run through again - despite the general hate, I really enjoyed DAI and also loved all the DLCs as well. It's not as good as Origins (IMHO), but it is still a very good and very enjoyable game despite its weak points. And Trespasses really was absolute gold.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm just playing through the Trespasser DLC now. It's such a strange game, I think it's painfully mediocre in so many ways but there's something about it that keeps me playing, probably the characters/lore. It certainly isn't the combat, after 120 hours of play I have faced about 3 enemies that I actually had to concentrate on while fighting. They all have way too much health and are just sponges, there is no thinking required.

Trespasser ended up turning me around Inquisition after very flat ending. That DLC was really well done; love how the lore of the series has been turned on it's head.

Necrovex

If you're going to roleplay as a Templar, I'd go warrior. Templars don't strike me as rogues, honestly.

Honestly, if I was going to play again, I'd go Two-Handed Warrior Champion, so I get the survivability of the Champion along with better damage output. I will miss that get effect and sound of Shield Bash, however.

I just realize Templar was an ill choice of words to describe my future roleplay. I meant more of someone who is suspicious of magic. My original thought was playing a Qunari Warrior like Guts from the Berserk manga. Of course having fun with the game prempt role playing in my opinion. I know little about the melee features of these games (typical mage).

I played as a mage in Dragon Age I & II, but didn't enjoy it in Inquisition. I switched to a two handed warrior and the battlefield control and survivability was great.

Patryn

Trespasser ended up turning me around Inquisition after very flat ending. That DLC was really well done; love how the lore of the series has been turned on it's head.

Inquisition was weird. It had an alright beginning, a strong middle and then a very weak ending.

I really wonder if that was the originally planned ending, or if it changed at some point in the process. I do know that they made several concessions to have the games still run on the older generation of consoles.

Hell, even doing Trespasser required them to drop support for the older consoles.

I love the game, don't get me wrong, but I feel that it lacked a strong villain and it squanders the mage/Templar conflict.

I played as a mage in Dragon Age I & II, but didn't enjoy it in Inquisition. I switched to a two handed warrior and the battlefield control and survivability was great.

I think they purposely nerfed mages simply because it had become the overwhelming sentiment among fandom (at least from what I've read online) that mages were severely OP and players were handicapping themselves playing any other class.

Hell, I still have no idea how Warriors manage to do the Arishok fight in DA2, given that the stamina mechanic requires kills to regenerate, and it's a one-on-one fight. That's opposed to the Rogue, which gets it back on every hit, or mages who simply regenerate over time.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How are the Deep Roads in this game?

Probably the best rendition of the Deep Roads in the franchise. A 10-floor dive that feels a bit like an actual spelunking journey into depths unknown. Massive crevices surround you that extend into blackness below, and the scale of each floor stretches far-reaching both above and around you, a wonderful step up from the mostly flat corridors of the prior games. The deeper you go into unexplored territory, the more alien the whole area feels.
Oh and there are lots of nice little secrets to uncover along the mostly linear path to the bottom, almost zelda-like in their placement and discovery.

Really liked all three DLC packs, played them earlier this year and was surprised at the quality of all three.

Jetman

Just got done playing the DA DLC a few months ago and enjoyed my time with it.

- the Jaws of Hakon Rogues and archers' damage output completely caught me off guard more than anything in the game up to that point. They chewed through fully powered up barriers in no time flat, and I was playing a Knight Enchanter with maxed out barrier potential.

- Felt bad but I cheese killed Descent's final boss. He took down my whole party fairly quickly.

- wait, wait, so Iron Bull does turn against the party in Trespasser if you make pro-Qunari choices in the main game? Awesome. How do the Chargers react in Val Royeaux, I wonder. (If they are even alive to react to it) What if Iron Bull has been romanced?

Ketkat

Hell, I still have no idea how Warriors manage to do the Arishok fight in DA2, given that the stamina mechanic requires kills to regenerate, and it's a one-on-one fight. That's opposed to the Rogue, which gets it back on every hit, or mages who simply regenerate over time.

Lots and lots of stamina draughts and regeneration potions did it for me

Patryn

Just got done playing the DA DLC a few months ago and enjoyed my time with it.

- the Jaws of Hakon Rogues and archers' damage output completely caught me off guard more than anything in the game up to that point. They chewed through fully powered up barriers in no time flat, and I was playing a Knight Enchanter with maxed out barrier potential.

- Felt bad but I cheese killed Descent's final boss. He took down my whole party fairly quickly.

- wait, wait, so Iron Bull does turn against the party in Trespasser if you make pro-Qunari choices in the main game? Awesome. How do the Chargers react in Val Royeaux, I wonder. (If they are even alive to react to it) What if Iron Bull has been romanced?

If Bull is going to betray, he will betray you regardless of whether or not you romance him.

The Chargers will be alive if you choose not to do Bull's personal quest in the base game. I'm not sure if they show up in Val Royeaux in that case, however.

Jaws of Hakkon really was more of the same, but with a considerably higher difficulty spike. I personally enjoyed Descent and Trespasser more.

Patryn

Jaws of Hakkon really was more of the same, but with a considerably higher difficulty spike. I personally enjoyed Descent and Trespasser more.

Yeah, it was a whole other area, but I feel like it had a more cohesive story to it than pretty much any of the other areas bar Crestwood.

Basically, it was a mini-campaign unto itself that had some depth, and then finding the last Inquisitor and discovering that if he hadn't had to seal the dragon away the Exalted March on the Dales likely wouldn't have happened is just wonderfully tragic.

Kalentan

Yeah, it was a whole other area, but I feel like it had a more cohesive story to it than pretty much any of the other areas bar Crestwood.

Basically, it was a mini-campaign unto itself that had some depth, and then finding the last Inquisitor and discovering that if he hadn't had to seal the dragon away the Exalted March on the Dales likely wouldn't have happened is just wonderfully tragic.

I forgot was it just the last DLC that dropped last gen support or all the DLC?

Cause if so, that is telling. It makes me wonder how much of DAI changed to fit on last gen consoles.

Ultimadrago

I found some appreciation in the more focused approach of Trespasser and hated Jaws of Hakkon which added another expansive, boring area with equally dull side content. Okay, Jaws of Hakkon did have
Bear Worship
, but it ends there. I, unwisely did about every mission in that area and felt as unfulfilled as with the main game.

Trespasser at least held itself on some narrative slits with areas that allowed for less needless exploration. Because if you can't do it right, there's no shame to sticking to something a little more linear. It worked in its favor and made for a surprisingly decent conclusion.

I skipped The Descent.

Ralemont

not me
Inquisition was weird. It had an alright beginning, a strong middle and then a very weak ending.

I really wonder if that was the originally planned ending, or if it changed at some point in the process. I do know that they made several concessions to have the games still run on the older generation of consoles.

Changed. Gaider has said Inquisition's main plot was originally ~twice as long and had to be cut down. He also said, when he left Dragon Age, that it was now up to Weekes to see the cut content through. So, extrapolating from those comments, I think it's safe to conclude that pretty much all of Trespasser's plot was originally planned for Inquisition in some capacity, and possibly even more after that, though Trespasser's ending feels like the proper way to end the Inquisition's story. It also makes sense because Corypheus feels more like that red herring villain that gets pwned halfway through a story as the final villain reveals himself than a final villain himself.

Everything we've heard has pointed to big technical walls stalling development of a lot of content, either because of a new engine or console limitations. It's not an excuse, just an observation. I'm very hopeful for Dragon Age 4.

Thanks for talking about the Trials as I've been curious what the best combo would be. Did you happen to try the double disapproval points Trial? I think it'd make your Inquisition party more interesting if some members of your party had approval that was easier to floor. I bet most players don't see a single low-approval companion scene, like Cassandra drunkenly ranting about how much the Inquisitor sucks. Feels like a waste of development zots if so few people see it.

I recommend this interview for anyone who wants to hear some behind-the-scenes stuff about Inquisition's development as I think it's pretty interesting.

The length of the plot arc. It wasn't like we had twice as much content. The amount of ground we were going to cover with the story was twice as long. And the rest of that plot arc still exists. So, it's now in Patrick Weeks hands. Good luck, buddy! Good luck going the rest of the distance! And we'll see how he does that.

The assault on Adamant Fortress also went through a lot of different versions. There was a point were it didn't involve the Fade at all. You fell into the abyss and you ended up in the Deed Roads. You had to find your way out through the Deep Roads, and you encountered the intelligent Darkspawn from Awakening.

I found some appreciation in the more focused approach of Trespasser and hated Jaws of Hakkon which added another expansive, boring area with equally dull side content. Okay, Jaws of Hakkon did have
Bear Worship
, but it ends there. I, unwisely did about every mission in that area and felt as unfulfilled as with the main game.

Trespasser at least held itself on some narrative slits with areas that allowed for less needless exploration. Because if you can't do it right, there's no shame to sticking to something a little more liner. It worked in its favor and made for a surprisingly decent conclusion.

I skipped The Descent.
The Descent was a decent linear experience with some intriguing story. However the story wasnt outright interesting like trespasser and leaves a lot to sequels to answer.

Your mini review of Jaws is spot on. That DLC sucked horribly

Patryn

I forgot was it just the last DLC that dropped last gen support or all the DLC?

Cause if so, that is telling. It makes me wonder how much of DAI changed to fit on last gen consoles.

Just the last DLC.

Thanks for talking about the Trials as I've been curious what the best combo would be. Did you happen to try the double disapproval points Trial? I think it'd make your Inquisition party more interesting if some members of your party had approval that was easier to floor. I bet most players don't see a single low-approval companion scene, like Cassandra drunkenly ranting about how much the Inquisitor sucks. Feels like a waste of development zots if so few people see it.

I never tried the approval trial (Fair Weather Friends). I suspect it would be pretty difficult, especially for someone like Sera, who I sometimes had to really piss off but could rebuild that trust later on.

Just be wary, because quite a few members of the party will leave if you go low enough with them.

The next trial I'd be willing to try is the one that removes Supply Caches from the game. That would be a breeze later on in the game (except for the DLCs), but brutal earlier on.

Ploid 3.0

They're barely in the base game. The one DLC devoted to them is The Descent, and I'll put it this way:

Did you enjoy the Deep Roads in Origins? If so, you'll probably like it. If you loathed them to the depths of your soul, you'll hate them.

If you're wishy-washy about them, then I'm not sure. If you loved DAI I'd say wait for a sale. If you weren't a fan of the game, I'd say avoid it. It's the weakest of the three DLCs.

I got Trespassers for the trials, and the alternate passive abilities in the skill trees, and loved them (even the harder to kill enemies, added a pandemonium mod that ramps up the Nightmare difficulty even more). Then I saw Deep Roads were in a dlc so I got the GOTY edition, I have yet to start it, but I'm liking what you're saying. I loved the Deep Roads in DA:O and DA2 (more in DA:O since I feel like it lasted longer). I'm looking forward to it.

Bear Worship

Trespasser at least held itself on some narrative slits with areas that allowed for less needless exploration. Because if you can't do it right, there's no shame to sticking to something a little more linear. It worked in its favor and made for a surprisingly decent conclusion.

I skipped The Descent.

Yeah, I totally agree with you on Trespasser anyway. I enjoyed the base game well enough but I just tried to replay Inquisition recently and once I got into the Hinterlands and all the filler content came flooding back into my memory, I just couldn't do it.

I think Trespasser was a good way to approach things that played more to BioWare's strengths- characters and creating a more focused experience. Because like you said, the exploration stuff in Inquisition was just not very well integrated with everything else, so I was completely ok with that stuff being marginalized in Trespasser.

Really, I think Trespasser's structure reminded me a bunch of Origins. You had your main sort of hub area that you'd return to and then kind of go off on quests from that central area. That worked fine in Origins and it worked well in Trespasser without having to pad things out with tons of boring and superfluous "exploration" that rarely felt very satisfying or natural. Trespasser still had some areas to explore around in but it wasn't just hours of wandering and grinding, you always had a pretty strong plot thread that you were following which I appreciated.

That's not to say I'd want BioWare to give up on trying more open worlds in DA but (and this is probably sounds like a broken record) they should look more at The Witcher for how to better integrate an open world structure/atmosphere with a story heavy game. BioWare just made way too many zones for the amount of actual content they could fill those zones with. And even in the more empty zones, the environments rarely felt as lively as any of the zones in The Witcher, just in terms of atmospherics.

Changed. Gaider has said Inquisition's main plot was originally ~twice as long and had to be cut down. He also said, when he left Dragon Age, that it was now up to Weekes to see the cut content through. So, extrapolating from those comments, I think it's safe to conclude that pretty much all of Trespasser's plot was originally planned for Inquisition in some capacity, and possibly even more after that, though Trespasser's ending feels like the proper way to end the Inquisition's story. It also makes sense because Corypheus feels more like that red herring villain that gets pwned halfway through a story as the final villain reveals himself than a final villain himself.
Yeah, I also remember on his old Tumblr that Gaider mentioned at one point how the whole Temple of Mythal / Well of Sorrows plotline was originally slated for the cancelled DA2 expansion pack. So it seems like a ton of things on whatever roadmap BioWare has for the overarching DA plot have gotten shifted around, post Origins.

I'm still not completely sold on totally abandoning the Inquisitor as a playable character after Trespasser. If only because you can have such a personal connection to Solas if he winds up being the main antagonist in DA4, that just having to face him as some new guy seems like such a waste. Then again, I am a huge advocate for having multiple playable protagonists for story reasons in the DA games as they go along and build off past games.

Everything we've heard has pointed to big technical walls stalling development of a lot of content, either because of a new engine or console limitations. It's not an excuse, just an observation. I'm very hopeful for Dragon Age 4.
I think I recall a DA PAX South panel after Inquisition launched where Laidlaw mentioned developing Inquisition on Frostbite was akin to building a car as it was already travelling down the highway at 60 miles per hour. I'd like to think they'll have a lot of those technical hiccups out of the way for DA4 but I've had that thought with just about every DA sequel so far and it just never ever seems like they take the previous game as a foundation and build/iterate on that but just tear everything down and start over.
[/QUOTE]

Kalentan

I'm still not completely sold on totally abandoning the Inquisitor as a playable character after Trespasser. If only because you can have such a personal connection to Solas if he winds up being the main antagonist in DA4, that just having to face him as some new guy seems like such a waste. Then again, I am a huge advocate for having multiple playable protagonists for story reasons in the DA games as they go along and build off past games.

I would love for DA4 to do either a new playable character but the Inquisitor is also playable or the Inquisitor is just the main character again. Yeah, you kind of lose your arm but they could just give you some cool metal arm or something.

Cause the way Trespasser ends really makes it seem like it's really personal now. Would be odd to just abandon the Inquisitor and I'm not sure I'd like it if the Inquisitor became just an NPC after all of that.

I do have a feeling that is what will happen. The Inquisitor will probably be a party member or act as the de facto leader while a new character goes on all the missions and the Inquisitor tags along at times. Which sucks cause I sort of do want DA4 or DA:I2 to be like Mass Effect. I want to keep the same main character. Cause unlike DA:O to DA2 or DA2 to DA:I, DA:I to whatever they will call the 4th game, you have a real deep personal connection with the main villain. Solas was my main support character. He was there for all the major beats of DA:I... I want to be the one to go after him, not someone else.

(I will not deny, I used the Varric-Solas-Cassandra from start to finish, outside character specific missions.)

Patryn

I want the Inquisitor to have a big role in the next game, but I think I'd prefer a new protagonist.

For one thing it'll get rid of the whole power gap question. They could just have you start at the level you finished and then raise the cap to 50 or something, but I'm not sure that's wise.

Then there was the whole bit at the end where they mention how Solas will know what they're going to do so they need to find somebody knew, which definitely hints at a new protagonist.

And I actually quite liked the DAI cast, and hope most of them show up in DA4. Except for Cole, who always grated on my nerves. Didn't help that when I played Rogue I always played Double Dagger, which made him redundant. He's also way too squishy until you get a bunch of abilities for him.

Oh, and as much as I love Varric, I don't think there's a good reason for him to be in Tevinter given him ending up as the Viscount.

I always was not a fan of Vivenne, simply because she's so ruthless and I never felt like she was my friend. She only wanted to use me to achieve her own aims. She also clearly saw herself as better than me.

As for my parties, they differed with my class. In this last Rogue run, I nearly always ran with Blackwall and Solas, with the third changing based on my whims, but mostly being either Cassandra or Varric. In Trespasser I ran exclusively Blackwall-Iron Bull-Dorian, because I felt like IB and Dorian had the most interesting observations on things.

When I played Warrior, I tended to run Sera-Dorian-Solas, because I specialized in grabbing threat and needed increased damage dealing from my party. But I do tend to try to use everyone.

As for open world areas, I'm good with them if they're less like the Hinterlands and more like Crestwood or the Frostback Basin. There should be a cohesive story across the entire area, and there should be a natural flow bringing you everywhere for the needs of the story.

In addition, they need to be ready for players to want to fully complete an area before moving on. You can subdivide areas so that there's a more difficult place where the player should return, but you need to basically make that explicit. Don't just have characters offhandly mention that you should be going to Val Royeaux (and I even feel like they added new companion comments urging you to do that, because I didn't remember quite so much pestering in my first playthrough).

I'd also like the quests for the subclasses to be a bit more involved than simply gathering a bunch of stuff. Frankly, I'm almost ready for them to totally rethink their entire class system. They need to break out beyond the simple Warrior/Rogue/Mage divisions.

Lister

Banned
I would start DA4 with the assassination of the Inquisitor. Start the game with a bang.

This sounds like a great idea.

Also, I relaly hope they spend the extra time to design two seperate interfaces fro console and PC. No more of this half assed abomination they've built in this game. And no more filler!

I'd rather have tighter, smaller areas with interesting quests if large open world + that isn't in the cards.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Trespasser was the best part of this game. I was surprised how much I enjoyed every bit of it. If the main game is a 7/10, Trespasser is a 9/10.

Kalentan

I would start DA4 with the assassination of the Inquisitor. Start the game with a bang.

I mean... If they wanted to kick their entire fanbase in the balls. Plus the idea of that sounds like it would be more or less shocking for the sake of shock value.

JeffG

Trespasser was the best part of this game. I was surprised how much I enjoyed every bit of it. If the main game is a 7/10, Trespasser is a 9/10.

If you play an evil inquisitor (try to get everyone to hate you), Trespasser doesn't have a big impact. None of the characters want to talk to you.

Patryn

There's too much stuff between my Inquisitor and Solas. I'd feel a little robbed if they were suddenly killed.

That's not to say that I'm necessarily against them dying in the middle, just early would be tough.

Hell, given that I chose to drink from the well, I believe Solas might be able to control me given how he seemed to absorb Mythal, and Mythal could control me.

I think I'd love a twist where either the Inquisitor or Morrigan betrays you massively and then gets killed off.

Lister

Banned
I never went back for another playthrough of the game after beating it. Though I certianly wanted to. I just can't get past the grind.

Can I jump straight into the expansions after a long hiatus? Do I need a late game save?

JeffG

I mean... If they wanted to kick their entire fanbase in the balls.

How so?

The next game sure looks to be the story of the plight of elves/fade under the backdrop of tevinter v qunari war.

The Inquistor would have lots of enemies. An assassination would give a good starting point for the game conflict.

Top Bottom