• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Emily is Away (or, High School Feels: The Game)

Amory

Just took an hour and played through this little story, checking out a couple of the different "paths". I had heard about it in passing when it came out, but I pretty much dismissed it as another nostalgia cash-in. Little did I know that it's not only free to play, but everything it sets out to do, it does very well.

For the unaware, Emily is Away is a story game taking place entirely within an AIM buddy list and instant message window, where you talk with your crush Emily by choosing one of three different responses over the course of your conversation.

What this game did so well (at least for me) was stir up that long-dormant feeling cycle of longing, excitement, anxiety, disappointment, and rekindled hope. Because if you grew up in the AIM era, you probably had an Emily and you probably talked to them largely over AIM. Very quickly, I wasn't talking to Emily in a little retro indie game in 2016, I was my 18 year old self talking to the girl in my class that I had a crush on in 2005.

It's easy to get caught up in the story, not only because the writing is excellent, but because it really feels like you're using AOL Instant Messenger. You can choose a buddy icon (which have exactly the right art, and are mostly band/movie references), you can read the profiles of everyone on your buddy list (and they'll change as the story progresses), you can change your font and background color, it all feels....real. Your character will even edit a response you've chosen as you're typing it, on occasion, to subtly change the meaning of what you wanted to say (e.g. "i think you're amazing" might change to "I think you're an amazing person").

It's a cute little experience. And even though a lot of the feelings it stirred up from the old days weren't good feelings, I was glad to be reminded of them.

Maybe my favorite thing (which I'll mark with a spoiler since it concerns the endings), was

that none of the endings are good, or at least none of them have you and Emily getting together. No matter what you do, it's impossible to get it "right". The message obviously being that some things in life just aren't meant to be, and that's ok

If you haven't had a chance to play, go check it out! It's free! And if you have, what did you think?

I liked it, endings got me a bit mad at first (stayed up one weekend trying to get them all) but after I slept on it I understood why they were made that way.

I still wish we had more choice though.

TB14

Played it when it first came out and enjoyed it quite a bit. It felt like going back in time. The game does a fantastic job of replicating the real-life experience.

Amory

I liked it, endings got me a bit mad at first (stayed up one weekend trying to get them all) but after I slept on it I understood why they were made that way.

I still wish we had more choice though.

I thought the endings being what they were kind of gave a "moral of the story", which was nice. I was fine with the limited choices, but maybe that's because I almost always found one that I feel like I would've said back then.

And I played the game as 18 year old me, not 29 year old me. Which meant going with some of the cringey choices

fuuuuuuck Brad

yeah but Brad's changing profiles were hilarious.

Because if you grew up in the AIM era, you probably had an Emily and you probably talked to them largely over AIM. Very quickly, I wasn't talking to Emily in a little retro indie game in 2016, I was my 18 year old self talking to the girl in my class that I had a crush on in 2005.

Christ. Now I'm scared to play this game and have to relive all those awkward embarrassing memories.

Brofield

Fuck, I'm gonna go back to grade 6 to my first real crush on Brittany.

I am both scared and terrified, because honest to god somewhere in our MSN chat history she did admit to liking me a little more than other guys, but of course I was too chickenshit to do anything about it.

I justify it couldn't have worked out with her solely because she's a vegetarian now.

This game made me so sad when I finished it, I had way too many vivid memories except in my case they were in Gmail chatrooms.

Did a quick playthrough. It's neat, but it's just dissimilar enough to my own experiences that it didn't quite hit me the way it did the OP. But the sound effects were just too perfect.

And deleting messages and to type something less forward...that really hit home.

Amory

This game made me so sad when I finished it, I had way too many vivid memories except in my case they were in Gmail chatrooms.

the game hit very close to home for me, even with little subjects like talking about Coldplay. my crush and I went to a Coldplay concert in high school and then after we both went to college she told me one night over AIM that she wished I had made a move that night

i'm not naive enough to think that this is all that big of a coincidence, I think a lot of kids just have a lot of the same experiences with "first love"

Top Bottom