• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Fallout 4 (Spoilers inside)

mitchlol

So I just got finished with Fallout 4, when I say finished I mean I chose a faction and saw the entire faction quest list play out. I have.... mixed feelings about the game. Beyond this I'll be talking spoiler stuff so if you haven't played and intend to play you have been warned.

I ended up aligning myself with the institution, it made sense to me. I had no really connection to the commonwealth, it's people or any of their problems. I pretty much main lined the story as much as I could because if I was a guy looking for my son I wouldn't go getting side tracked on errands for people unless I saw a chance to further my own cause.

Initially I didn't believe that 'father' was actually Shaun so I was tempted to kill him early on but I'm glad I didn't. Around this time I was still deciding who to align with either the Brotherhood or the institute. The brotherhood pissed me off because they were too military focused and treated me (the character) kinda like shit.

I was very happy to kill the railroad woman she was rude from day #1 and all her little cronies were a pain in my ass. Felt nice lighting her up with knuckle dusters. The last main quest to take down the blimp was fun. I ended up smoking Danse and Maxson both with Fatman nukes. Maxson took 2 which was fitting if he was meant to be the baddest guy in the brotherhood. Danse went down like a bitch though.

Onto the issues I had with the game itself.

The whole partner/buddy system didn't work well in my opinion, far too often I was getting blocked in door ways by the AI, when I would sneak they would give me away. Honestly I'd have rather gone alone.

I built my character to be a boxer. Melee only with maximum Strength luck and endurance. It was actually a lot of fun but too many sequences in the game forced me to use a weapon so even though I specced for hand to hand I still had to have a gun at the ready. I know people complained about not wanting to kill everything, and I could understand that if I had made a charismatic character then I would want to role play as intended. Those complaints, while I wasn't affected are still valid.

God the performance on PS4 was atrocious..... Anytime I had a mission with a firefight between 2 factions the frame rate went to a god damn crawl. It was actually laughable how bad it was at times. Sometimes I was getting frame rate issues without any AI on screen it was just loading in assets -_-

I can say that throughout the ~18 or so hours I played I didn't get a single crash. As far as bugs go I would say I was pretty lucky the only bug I suffered was killing a guy in V.A.T.S only to fall through the floor and end up on the level below. It was easily fixed by just calling the elevator and heading back up.

One of my favourite sequences was recording the message to send to the rest of the commonwealth. I went full evil and told them all to basically go f*ck themselves and to fear me their new ruler. Felt good ^^

Lastly the base building.... I avoided this shoe horned piece of sh*t mechanic as much as I possibly could. The biggest issues I have were the following: Encumbrance, sure it makes sense in Elder Scrolls but in a game that wants to encourage hoarding supplies to make stuff, I was constantly told I couldn't run because I was carrying around all this garbage.

The second issue I have with base building was how glitchy and buggy the whole process felt. Building the teleporter was so frustrating because I neglected to remove the f*cking rugs. It was only when I went online to read a post from someone having the same issue as me that I saw the solution. Oh and don't get me started on making sure everything has power. Each to their own, but this particular mechanic was something I actively avoided and actually almost made me want to stop playing when I was forced to partake.

So overall I had some fun but the game has issues. Thinking on it now... I don't really know if there was a character that I actually liked... maybe only Nick Valentine. Oh and at some point in the game I sent him away to make room for Danse and forgot where I sent him. So I never used him for the rest of the game. I think Bethesda should have made it a little easier to swap out companions.

If anyone hasn't seen it yet... The Team Four Star (of Dragon Ball Z Abridge fame) played this game.. and it was truly glorious to behold. Watching their character slowly descend into madness over a kickball... A true thing of beauty.

The whole Shaun/Director thing still makes no sense.

First he's a baby, than he's a 5 year old, than he's 60.

The guy who killed the wife didn't look like 80 years old.
Was that brain implant keeping him from aging? Then why isn't the institute full of 300 years old guys? What is it that Virgil did anyway? Why is the Institute replacing people with artificial being?

To me, it felt better joining the Brotherhood and nuking all the double dealers.
Should have waked me up earlier Shaun, sorry.
I wouldn't have bothered with the Railroad if I had a choice.

The crafting is poorly done. That part was better in F3.

I see that they changed things because of all the people who cried when the game ended after the last quest in F3. Still, I got the platinum and stopped because there was no point in doing any of the minor quests after that.

I definitely wouldn't call the base building "shoe-horned". It's clear they wanted it to be a large part of the game and while I haven't touched it myself, many people have put hundreds of hours into it.

I think they should have focused more on making most skills matter in a way other than killing.

mitchlol

Was that brain implant keeping him from aging? Then why isn't the institute full of 300 years old guys? What is it that Virgil did anyway? Why is the Institute replacing people with artificial being?

To me, it felt better joining the Brotherhood and nuking all the double dealers.

I never played F3 so I can't make the comparisons. As far as crafting goes, I put spikes on the end of my knuckles and that was the only time I used that system, same goes for armour. I wore Cursor outfit.

Everything you said about the Shaun/Director thing I agree with, I came the the conclusion that my character would be wanting to believe things that are a huge stretch because his son was the only thing he had left in the world.

CloudWolf

The Institue was extremely badly thought out in the game. What were their motives? Why are they replacing people with synths? Why did they go through all this trouble to deceive the player character? Why do you still have to follow Shaun's orders after he makes you president of the company?

You can confront him on the evil shit and he's like: "yeah sorry, but with you as director you can do stuff your way" and then you still have to murder the other factions for no reason other than "the script says so". The Brotherhood I kinda get, but why the hell can't I parley with The Railroad?

Pjsprojects

Bah,Brotherhood for the win! The hard part is keeping Dansk alive!
Out of my eighty or so hours across all three platforms I found the following.

X1 - 53hrs Far harbour glitches at end and could not be completed.

PS4 - 5hrs frame rate seemed to bad to carry on.

Pc - 31hrs Railroad main quest will not complete.

Just to add Nukaworld has been glitch free on all endings.

Helscream

Banned
Fallout 4 has fantastic gameplay/exploration/crafting. Everything else is shit.

The base building is good in concept, but is extremely tidious and time consuming. And its not reasonably feasible unless your a pure Charisma based build. I would like to see it in future installments, but it needs some refining first.

If your interested OP a guy named Noah Caldwell Gervais did a video comparing Fallout 4 to the previous titles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnmKlmW7vqY

Its a great critique.

The 10-year-old (not 5) version of Shaun was a synth.

Was that brain implant keeping him from aging?

The cybernetic implants were. This was explicitly stated in the game at least twice. He was 40-something when we first meet him and 100-something when we kill him.

To me, it felt better joining the Brotherhood and nuking all the double dealers. Should have waked me up earlier Shaun, sorry.

This I agree with. This aspect of the story is so crazy, and if you accept it for what it is, then Shaun is batshit insane.

Destroying him and the Institute with the BoS is my definitive experience.

All of this stuff was told to you or explained in game.....

I get not liking 4 but come on...

blackjaw

I went for platinum so I saw all the endings...kept the synth revolution as my de facto save though, enjoyed wrecking the brotherhood and those rebels

Top Bottom