• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Fire Emblem 7 (GBA)

goldenpp72

GBA_Fire_Emblem_Box.jpg

The seventh game, Blazing Sword, localized as Fire Emblem.

Fire_Emblem_The_Sacred_Stones.JPG

The eighth game, The Sacred Stones.

Fire_Emblem_PoR_Boxart.JPG

The ninth game, Path of Radiance.

250px-Fire_Emblem_Radiant_Dawn_Box_Art.jpg

The tenth game, Radiant Dawn. I wouldn't recommend playing this before FE9.

Fire_Emblem_DS.jpg

The eleventh game, Shadow Dragon. Don't bother with this one.

Play this one:

250px-Fire_Emblem_Awakening_English_box_art.jpg

The thirteenth game, Awakening.

Thanks for that, very nicely laid out. Didn't they make another FE on the DS, or did that not hit here? I actually have the cube game but forgot I had it, would that be a good one to try or is it best to start elsewhere? I'm relatively new to Srpgs in general..

It was a little over three years ago that I got into the series with this game. It's quite good, and from there on I would play all of the previous games before it in addition to FE8. Fire Emblem is one of my favorite series ever and am looking very forward to FE13.

My personal favorite right now is FE4, for the Super Famicom. In my opinion no other game comes close to it equality except for FE5. Shame that not many people on GAF seem to have played these older games, because they're exceptional.

The series is officially numbered.
After looking at that list the names of the games in Japanese sound way more better.

DTJAAAAM

What Fire Emblem titles have launched in the US, and what is a good one for a new person to get in on?

If you're worried about difficulty and not too familiar with strategy RPGs, Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones on GBA could be a good starting point. The ability to grind and overall challenge didn't seem as tough as the previous GBA game, especially since most of the cast could be fairly strong. There were several difficulty options, too.

Chrom

Thanks for that, very nicely laid out. Didn't they make another FE on the DS, or did that not hit here?

Yes there was, it was a remake of the third game but it was never localized.

Edit: I saw your edit. Path of Radiance is a good starting point and you can't go wrong with starting with that one.

Codeblue

Oh God yes.
But first I need a 3DS :C

So are the the other ones not as good, then?

I'd argue that Path of Radiance is the strongest localized FE, it's also the highest ranked FE on Gaf's RPG Essentials list. I've always been of the opinion that the console games were better. PoR is pretty difficult to find though.

I didn't play 7 first but I feel like most of the cast was totally forgettable, sans Hector. Even FE8 had more characters that I really enjoyed.

dot

I friggin loved FE7.

It was my first game with the series. I remember playing this back in my high school days, lol. c:

Nohar

FE7 was my first FE title, and after playing FE8, FE9, FE10, and a bit of FE12 and FE4, FE7 stays my favorite. Everything was perfect in this title : good characters, good story, good mechanics (not as refined as FE4 or FE9, but very solid nonetheless), good missions (with a lot of variety and many gaiden chapters), a very good replay value (thanks, partly, to the support conversations, something that SHOULDN'T EVER BE REMOVED AGAIN, RIGHT RADIANT DAWN ? YOU HEAR ME ?!), and a pretty balanced difficulty, who was perfect for a newcomer like me. And on top of that, good music (Loyalty, Final farewell, Unshakable Faith, A Knight's Oath, Rise to the Challenge, Softly With Grace, Campaign of Fire, and many others).

Seda

Fire Emblem is my favorite Nintendo franchise. It's a system seller for me. I think I've played each game about 10 times, minus Shadow Dragon.

Akito

This was my entry point to the franchise and it still is my favorite FE game. The most balanced FE in my opinion.

rouken

Fire%20Emblem%20The%20Sealed%20Sword%20box.jpg

Fire Emblem: Sealed Sword is also really good, fe7 acts as a prequel to this so in terms of story you'll notice the connections. :)

Prax

Final Fantasy Tactics is still better! /thread

It's not. Get out of this thread, you. lol
(And yeah, it was a very slow game to plod through. Plus no support convos!)

I rank FE4 as my favourite, and then FE9/10 following that, but FE7 is pretty good if not basic, plus the introduction of lengthy support convos and multiple paired endings made it really nice. <3

I am still looking forward to FE13, but with added wariness. Hard to shake the feeling the designs give me. XD

Mephala

: /
Where can I find the needed items, then?

Some enemies will drop them for you. I think there is one or two that must be stolen via Thief, but I could be thinking of a different Fire Emblem. Its been too long since I played 7. 7 is by far my favourite.

Hector <3 all day, every day.

Question, do all of your units need an item to change classes? Also, what do support conversations do?

support conversations determine some characters endings and boost states when they are near to each other. You just need to place them side by side for some turns. They are a good read, and help you learn a lot about the world and the characters. I miss them in radiant dawn a lot.

Also ,for a lot of western gamer this or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and radiant dawn are the best FE games. I prefer Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and radiant dawn as they are more epic , harder and have more variety and characters(73!) Oh Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and radiant dawn are closely link , its very interesting to see the after effects on what you did in the 1st games from 4(if i remember correctly)(!) different perspective.

Midou

I just hopped into the series by beating FE7 about 3 weeks ago now. I'm like half way through FE9 (Path of Radiance) now and enjoying it a lot as well.

One thing disappointing in 9 is the portrait artstyle, it looks a bit cheap compared to 6-8's on GBA. But then 11 and 12 (the DS ones) have one of the most offensively bland artstyles I've seen. They are like cheap chinese knockoffs or some such. Thank god awakening looks so good.

Yeah, It is about the gameplay in the end, but I like to take a quick look on Seren's Forest and plan out my parties before playing, I don't do it with any other series so it feels cool to me. Going through the introduction character page for 11 and 12 just put me off completely. I may go through the one day though.

They do have a nice difficulty, but while I'm at the first chapter after getting promoted units in FE9 so I can't judge, outside of one or two chapters, FE7 became a lot easier once everyone was promoted.

Coxy

Sadly it's by far the best in the series, none of the rest remotely match up, Hector was such an awesome guy, FE needs more like him

I just hopped into the series by beating FE7 about 3 weeks ago now. I'm like half way through FE9 (Path of Radiance) now and enjoying it a lot as well.

One thing disappointing in 9 is the portrait artstyle, it looks a bit cheap compared to 6-8's on GBA. But then 11 and 12 (the DS ones) have one of the most offensively bland artstyles I've seen. They are like cheap chinese knockoffs or some such. Thank god awakening looks so good.

Yeah, It is about the gameplay in the end, but I like to take a quick look on Seren's Forest and plan out my parties before playing, I don't do it with any other series so it feels cool to me. Going through the introduction character page for 11 and 12 just put me off completely. I may go through the one day though.

They do have a nice difficulty, but while I'm at the first chapter after getting promoted units in FE9 so I can't judge, outside of one or two chapters, FE7 became a lot easier once everyone was promoted.
You are in for a treat in fe 10,they have two class level up but are still challenging since they changed back to the japan difficulty(japan easy is normal in usa before fe 10, i played hard for fe10 :D)
When i finished fe9 i knew shit is going to happen in the near future for sure and fe10 suppress my high expectation :D

Sadly it's by far the best in the series, none of the rest remotely match up, Hector was such an awesome guy, FE needs more like him

I disagree :p However, Hector is still awesome.

Code_Link

Absolutely fantastic game. Played it after I got Path of Radiance, when I fell in love with the series. Probably my favorite, although the Tellius saga is amazing.

Chrom

Some enemies will drop them for you. I think there is one or two that must be stolen via Thief, but I could be thinking of a different Fire Emblem. Its been too long since I played 7. 7 is by far my favourite.

Hector <3 all day, every day.

There are actually a good number of promotion items that can only be obtained from enemies if you steal them with a Thief. You might be thinking of FE8 since that's the one where there's only one instance where stealing is required for a Guiding Ring.

Also, some secret shops sell promotion items in FE7, but I don't believe the game ever helps you with finding them, or even hints how you access them other than using the Member Card on a "suspicious space".

The Boat

The only FE I've played, but never got around to finishing it because I had to repeat a mission 3 times as not to leave something or someone behind can't remember. Need to get back to it, was loving it.

There are actually a good number of promotion items that can only be obtained from enemies if you steal them with a Thief. You might be thinking of FE8 since that's the one where there's only one instance where stealing is required for a Guiding Ring.

Also, some secret shops sell promotion items in FE7, but I don't believe the game ever helps you with finding them, or even hints how you access them other than using the Member Card on a "suspicious space".

So the game is full of secret mechanics that are never revealed to you?

Chrom

So the game is full of secret mechanics that are never revealed to you?

The game has secrets, yes.

I see a list but no numbers.

Edit: Oh, just a bunch of URLs. Is that really what everyone goes off of?

Not just this, but if memory serves, Shadow Dragon and New Mystery are explicitly referred to as FE11 and FE12, respectively, in their game code.

How much harder does FE7 become towards the end? At chapter 24 it's honestly becoming a bit of a slog.

It doesn't get easier, I can tell you that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get the appeal of these games. I've beat Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn, but the whole time it felt like a deeper but also less fun Advanced Wars.

I'm bitter cause there's no new Advanced Wars. :-(

Chrom

I don't get the appeal of these games. I've beat Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn, but the whole time it felt like a deeper but also less fun Advanced Wars.

I'm bitter cause there's no new Advanced Wars. :-(

Honestly, I find the Japanese games, namely the Jugdral saga, to be much more entertaining. The only other game that I feel will be as close if not better is Awakening.

donny2112

FE7 is def my fave. So glad they ambassador'd it

I hate it when people refer to Fire Emblems by #, because I have no idea what they're talking about. :( From the OP, I thought he was talking about the original U.S. GBA Fire Emblem, but then it turns out he means Sacred Stones. Someone was talking mentioned FE13 in a thread about Awakening, and I had to look it up to confirm that FE13 = Awakening.

I realize that being in the U.S. and first being exposed to FE with the first U.S. GBA game (second GBA game released) is stunting my appreciation for the numbers some, but it's still frustrating to be so clueless about how to associate the #s to the names, considering the FE games are not numbered in the titles. Ugh. Love the series, though, so hopefully there will be so many FE games released in the U.S., and I'll just adapt. :)

Edit:
That was the Sacred Stones (8?), not 7

So, he was talking about the first GBA FE! See the problem with using numbers to define games in a series that isn't numbered? Like talking about Mario 10, whichever one that was. :lol

--------

Anyways on topic, yes Sacred Stones is great. The grinding makes it much more friendly if you're not used to the series. The first U.S. GBA Fire Emblem didn't have repeatable levels to grind on, so the treacherous gambling in the Arenas became much more necessary. It was still a marvelously great game, though. Spent well over 200 hours on it beating the various paths and difficulties. Be sure to try out the GameCube/Wii FEs, too! All great games. :D

Chrom

I hate it when people refer to Fire Emblems by #, because I have no idea what they're talking about. :( From the OP, I thought he was talking about the original U.S. GBA Fire Emblem, but then it turns out he means Sacred Stones. Someone was talking mentioned FE13 in a thread about Awakening, and I had to look it up to confirm that FE13 = Awakening.

I realize that being in the U.S. and first being exposed to FE with the first U.S. GBA game (second GBA game released) is stunting my appreciation for the numbers some, but it's still frustrating to be so clueless about how to associate the #s to the names, considering the FE games are not numbered in the titles. Ugh. Love the series, though, so hopefully there will be so many FE games released in the U.S., and I'll just adapt. :)

Edit:

So, he was talking about the first GBA FE! See the problem with using numbers to define games in a series that isn't numbered? Like talking about Mario 10, whichever one that was. :lol

Well, the fandom has been using the numbers for over ten years at the very least. There's really nothing hard about remembering that the first localized Fire Emblem game is the seventh game, or FE7. That's how the numbers are assigned: release order. It's a lot more convenient to use than the term or phrase "the first game" or something else unnecessarily long every single time you want to refer to that game when talking about a series in which the games before FE7 are very known by people within the community.

Numbers make the entire series universally nominal regardless of language. It's faster. It's smarter. It's even justified, since Intelligent Systems, the developer of the series, even uses the numbers to distinguish each game, but they see no reason to actually include the numbers in the titles themselves (in fact, it'd likely lead to more confusion if they did, considering how the continuity works). Fire Emblem is a series where there is no unanimous consensus on what to call every single game. Blazing Sword? Rekka no Ken? Sword of Flame? It's the one with Eliwood, just call it FE7 if you want. Sword of Seals? Sealed Sword? Binding Blade? It's the one with Roy, just call it FE6 if you want. Don't even get me started on FE1. This is exactly why using acronyms for the Japanese games isn't very viable, especially because some of the names, in addition to the fact that they may have alternate names, are either long or awkward (GotHW? T776? DDatSoL?).

If you can remember an acronym, you can remember a number. There really exists no reason to rationalize that there's a problem with using numbers. The guy who mixed up FE7 and FE8 doesn't even say it was because of the numbers as to why he did so. He could've used BS and SS (Sacred Stones, not Sealed Sword!) to refer to them and mix them up anyway. Your Mario example isn't relevant because unlike Fire Emblem, the Mario games have single, universally accepted names or acronyms. Fire Emblem doesn't have this luxury because of it being affected by No Import For You for the majority of its lifetime.

Jintor

They really need to rejigger support convos though. Fuck grinding levels by sitting just outside the end boss's range waiting for relationships to level up.

S.Link that shit, I don't know

They do it better in other FEs?

Mr. Fix

They really need to rejigger support convos though. Fuck grinding levels by sitting just outside the end boss's range waiting for relationships to level up.

Awakening does it pretty well actually. While getting stat bonuses for fighting next to a unit (or combining the two together), they also gain support bonus points after each skirmish.

bonercop

Path of Radiance did it best, I thought. You only needed to deploy your guys in the same map and it would go up after a certain number of chapters.

Kick

Neo Member
FE7 is my favorite handheld game of all time. FE8 was cool but FE7 stole too many hours from me for me to not make it number 1.

Top Bottom