• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

lttp: Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest |Nohrian Scum Edition| *spoilers*

So I finally gave Fates: Conquest a shot after hearing it being praised for it's gameplay but criticized for its story.

First off I'll deal with the bread & butter of FE, the maps. Yes there are some really good maps in this game that I enjoyed yet it was a mixed bag for me. Chapter 10 & 23 really stood out to me to me as the highlights of defend/attack maps. There's also the really bad gimmicky ones like Fuuga's wild ride or the pot breaking mission.... Or any mission that deals with ninjas with lunge...

There's also the major issue of how Conquest handles it's content with it's side missions. Outside of one recruitment mission and 3 invasion missions which suck, all of the side missions are only accessible through marriage via the children. Which makes it hard to even access them to begin with if you don't have dlc to grind relationships.

The direction they took weapons was a baffling one. Grinding through visiting other peoples online castles to get resources so I can upgrade weapons was not the way to go. The castle building was alright, the treehouse dating stuff was so bad and creepy it was comical. If they keep anything out of that for FE Switch to expand upon, it should be the kitchen cooking.

But yeah the story is just lol, Corrin refuses to kill people at first. Then all of a sudden he starts killing people without any sort of explanation. In early chapters he makes a concerted effort to make sure none of his enemies die, yet when he runs into pack of these shape shifting foxes he just kills them. Hans kills prisoners over and over, Corrin just does what he's told through the entire freaking game. It's not even him that takes the initial stand, it's Xander that finally has the balls to say that enough is enough. It's just ughhhh..

This meme was totally true though

5d9.png

Shouta

I had the game for awhile but started it but it just sapped my will to continue as I got deeper. The characters were really uninteresting and the scenario was equally boring. The marriage thing feels even more forced than Awakening too. The overall gameflow and setup felt tired as well. There's just no way I could go through 2 more paths of it.

I have Valentia and I'm hoping it's better but I'm waiting to play it so I can get the bad taste of this out.

I had the game for awhile but started it but it just sapped my will to continue as I got deeper. The characters were really uninteresting and the scenario was equally boring. The marriage thing feels even more forced than Awakening too. The overall gameflow and setup felt tired as well. There's just no way I could go through 2 more paths of it.

I have Valentia and I'm hoping it's better but I'm waiting to play it so I can get the bad taste of this out.

You didn't miss anything, it was the absolute worst going through the story. Having Corrin doing some atrocious crap for some half baked plan, and at the end he wasn't even the first one to take a stand!! It was Xander who finally went "hey F this".

Corrin was just the worst protag ever, hell I would have rather they just made him turn full on bad guy. At least then it would have maybe been interesting.

I do want IS to kill the pair up mechanic but keep the back up mechanic of adjacent units for FE switch.

Big4reel

I don`t remember much about the story but I remember in one part you capture all the hoshido royals and instead of keeping them prisoner to force hoshido to surrender corrin just lets them go because MUH FAIR AND SQUARE WAR

I`m sure he could have save thousands of lives from both sides but nah

Valentia, outside of some ridiculous FE2 map design, is very much a return to form in terms of characterization. It felt like one of the pre-Awakening games.

woopWOOP

I wish you had a few dialogue choice options with maybe a few more branching paths so I could make my shitty self insert less of a colossal dumbass.

Mission 10 was really great, but other than that I don't remember much. Some of the map gimmicks were annoying, but I was happy there was atleast some variation in mission objectives

The castle thing was okay. Not enough freedom with the way you could design your own castle and the way you did battle in them was kind of crappy. I did enjoy connecting to other people's forts, defeat them in battle and recruit their MCs for my singleplayer playthrough. Too bad everybody was Corrin and had the dopey manakete ears.

I still had a good time with all the unit customization options, but FEH kind of scratches that itch now so I can do with a new FE having a better focus on the story.

Valentia is pretty good. Remake of a NES game so the plot is pretty simple, but they did a good job with the characters who were pretty much nobodies in the original. My biggest problem is that every map comes down to you taking out all enemies, which gets kind of boring by the time you reach chapter 4, but other than that I really liked it.

Shouta

I just realized I didn't erase one of my thoughts all of the way and it made for a weird sentence, woof.

I'll get around to Valentia sooner or later. I've got a lot of games on the docket at the moment.

Top Bottom