• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ghost Recon Breakpoint (2019)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
ghost-recon-breakpoint-cover-image.jpg

Breakpoint is a quality third person shooter but its not a great game, the thing is they couldn't surpass their Wildlands success, they forced a region, story etc. that's not how you follow up Wildlands, you got to try and build on Wildlands success, I think they believed their were taking risks and took their chance with Breakpoint's story, world etc. its the second game in the PS4/Xone franchise.

giphy.gif

The customization, equipment is a lot better in this game but casual gamers aren't worried about switching out beanies, or characters boots.

dims

I believe he (Jon Bernthal) was a great villain but he didn't have enough help, the drones were incredible but he's not a vilian you jump out of your chair for, after a while you just tune out the enemies in the game.

After all that said its still the best third person shooter on PS4 with a solid open world foundation, but at the end of the day they didn't capitalize on Ghost Recon Wildlands' Boliva, drug cartels etc.

Remember this?

santa-blanca-cartel-family-tree.jpg

The villain tree is something a lot of gamers liked from Wildlands.

The overall feeling from the game is Ubisoft/Tom Clancy went for a much smaller crowd to live off of rather than what could have been Call of Duty levels of success.

Let me here your takeaways from my review/LTTP, and what you thought of Ghost Recon BREAKPOINT.

Freeman76

I loved Wildlands and its a shame this one is meant to be such a mess as I would have been in for a purchase otherwise

bucyou

loved wildlands, for whatever reason I bought breakpoint when it went on sale around black friday, its still sitting sealed on a bookcase

Wait, people cared about the story in Wildlands? All I remember is shitballs and some excuses to shoot bad dudes. I skipped whatever I could.

I played it at launch thanks to Uplay+. It was alright. Very buggy, and clearly needed a few more months in the oven.

Then last week I picked it up for like $10 because of the Lunar New Year Sale and it's unfortunately still very buggy.

HOWEVER... the Terminator event that's currently going on was surprisingly fun. Seeing a Terminator mow down an entire army of enemies is a thing of beauty... until it turns its sights on you. Fighting a Terminator is as harrowing as it should be. Once that thing gets its sights on you, it's beelining towards you.
Unfortunately, the event is only up for like 3 more days. I can't recommend anyone buying the game just for this content, but if you have the game already then make sure to check it out before it's gone.
RKPYIpw.jpg

Note: the picture is not a spoiler, it's my character with Terminator facepaint/tattoos lol

Last edited:
I'm curious to see what folks think of it right now.

I picked it up at a massive discount on black Friday with the intention of only booting it up once they added AI teammates or at least redid their pseudo gear score system which felt very contrived and 'wanna be' Division like.

Arachnid

Wildlands was awful (too much repetition and tedium) and Breakpoint is even worse. I could have lived with it if the stealth was good, but they dropped the ball there too (although this did improve from Wildlands). I also disagree that the customization is better in Breakpoint. Wildlands had more options. They also ruined the multiplayer. Classes need to come back ASAP. Letting everyone have this much control over loadouts leads to one shitty meta. Everyone carries assault rifles with grenade launcher attachments and a sniper (you shouldn't be allowed two primaries).

Breakpoint is a good game. But maybe not a good ghost recon.
Gunplay and movement is way better than in wildlands. I don't mind the tiered loot. I actually like to fight the drones. And i hated the AI companions in wildlands. So i don't miss them at all.
I didn't care about the story in wildlands. Same for breakpoint.

Wildlands was awful (too much repetition and tedium) and Breakpoint is even worse. I could have lived with it if the stealth was good, but they dropped the ball there too (although this did improve from Wildlands). I also disagree that the customization is better in Breakpoint. Wildlands had more options. They also ruined the multiplayer. Classes need to come back ASAP. Letting everyone have this much control over loadouts leads to one shitty meta. Everyone carries assault rifles with grenade launcher attachments and a sniper (you shouldn't be allowed two primaries).
At least now you can unequip your weapons. Except for the sidearm.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Breakpoint is a good game. But maybe not a good ghost recon.
Gunplay and movement is way better than in wildlands. I don't mind the tiered loot. I actually like to fight the drones. And i hated the AI companions in wildlands. So i don't miss them at all.
I didn't care about the story in wildlands. Same for breakpoint.

At least now you can unequip your weapons. Except for the sidearm.
That's great for roleplay in the campaign, definitely. No one will do that for the multiplayer though (which is why I bought the game; I loved Wildlands PvP).

Wildlands is my game of the generation for sure, I put so much time into it and it never ever stopped being fun. Taking down a stupid Cartel convoy was still fun, for the Nth time. Coming up with new ways to tackle objects.. just blowing the everloving shit out of things with the assault helo.. never ever got old. I think I ended up with close to 400 hours, with the solo/co-op split around 60/40.

I actually booted up Brokepoint over the weekend to see if anything was changed/different... and nope. I ran around for a little bit, killed a couple of guys and... it was just so fucking boring. Like, there are a couple of bad guys hanging around the landmark, a couple of bad guys by the motorbike. A drone on a little patrol.. and that's it. Literally nothing else out there, no civvys, I saw like 1 animal, but just emptiness.

I never realized how much the random Bolivian civilians contributed to the overall atmosphere in Wildlands. They just ran and hid most of the time, or got in your way, but they were THERE. They made the little towns and villages at least pretend to feel real. Then you add in UNIDAD rolling around like asshole cops/army, the Cartel guys doing cartel things, and that douchebag Pac Katari's little jalopy technicals.. it felt like a full-on place. Was it perfect? No, it got silly when you saw them all driving around next to each other and not fighting, and the enemies were all copy-pasted on each other.. but it didn't really matter, because for the moment-to-moment action, it felt like a realistic place.

Brokepoint has none of that, literally nothing. There are occasional random badguy HMMWV's driving around on the roads, and that is it. The island feels lifeless. It's beautiful, but lifeless. Add in the fact that there is no squad chatter and.. it's just boring and lonely. I'd prefer if it was more on rails, where you had missions that started you at a base, finished the base and teleported you to the next base/etc. The "open world" fails miserable when there is nothing in it.

Just so disappointed in this game, more than I think I ever have been. I bought the super fancy ultimate fucking edition for like $120 and have put in maybe 10 hours max.

I remember the first Ghost Recon.

It was a update of the Tom Clancy's tactical shooter genre from games like Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear, in which you would preplan your missions then follow your waypoint routes in collaboration with team mates. You couldn't see your gun in FPS mode, it had a cool target reticle, and it had at the time reasonably next gen graphics. It was also slightly faster than the earlier titles, with a more open setting to reflect the move from special forces infiltration missions towards special forces military missions behind front lines etc.

Basically, Ghost Recon was great. Ghost Recon 2 was alright. As far as I'm concerned, there was no Ghost Recon from Future Soldier on. Tom Clancy, RIP.

nemiroff

Gold Member
So, I've been playing this game for free during the weekend. Is this game heavily updated..? Because I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've actually enjoyed the game so far (8 hours in). I even ended up buying it today (it's on sale). I've been playing it in the new "immersive mode" without gear score and it feels like a surprisingly nice experience. Still not a big fan of the drones though.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
$10 at Amazon for console versions - worth it? This game got a really rough reception at launch but that was many updates ago so...

Going from Wildlands to this, its gotta be one of the most disappointing games of all time.

Regarding some of the complaints about Wildlands: The repetitive structure never bothered me because of the different ways to go about missions and the varied open world geography. Every mission felt new and fun. The AI teammates you could turn off, iirc. Personally, I enjoyed using them so I never did.

CrysisFreak

Banned
Had a lot of fun soloing wildlands for 30 hours straight.
This one? An embarrassing and vomit-inducing mess of epic proportions. Fuck this janky game and everything it represents.
Map is shittier too.

Top Bottom