• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ghost Recon Wildlands - Sh*t Balls

Most of you that know me, know that I am big into PC gaming. I've become very sensitive to lower framerates, 30 is great for some people but I just can't do it on some games. If the controls are not responsive and have that sluggish feeling it drives me nuts, (Metro Exodus on Xbox One X is another example of this) Playing on a Console is one of my least enjoyable thing for most games anymore. I always played Ghost Recon games on Console growing up. I started with the Original Ghost Recon on Xbox, then Island Thunder. Ghost Recon 2 on Xbox. GRAW on X360 and then GRAW2. Then sadly played Future Soldier on X360. Future Soldier was an abomination in my eyes. So when Wildlands was announced the trailer really made it look like a return to somewhat of what I remember of GR. Only thing I didn't like was that it was open world because I knew it would follow the same path Ubi does with all of their games. And Ghost Recon with vehicles?

Fast forward to release, it stay under my Radar with mediocre reception. I ignore it for a while. Grabbed an Xbox One X shortly after it was released and tried a demo of Wildlands on that. To my shock and horror it was even worse than I could imagine. Sluggish controls, cheesy dialogue (Shit Balls), driving mechanics that makes Just Cause look perfect. I was shocked how bad it played and frankly a bit how it looked. This wasn't the Ghost Recon return I had hoped for.

Fast Forward again to the Breakpoint reveal. I could tell it was based heavily on Wildlands but it didn't look like what I experienced. Still I didn't go back and play it. Until my Buddy I grew up playing GR with for years and years comes over to hit the pool. He mentions Breakpoint and says we should bite the bullet and buy Wildlands just to try it. I find it on Green man for 15 bucks and say why not. I bought 2 copies for my Son and I. We love RB6 Siege and figured maybe Ubi has supported Wildlands like they did Siege..

What I experienced was Night and Day. It is the epitome of the difference between Consoles and PC. From the very second the game started it was at about 80-100fps maxed at 1440p. Vs 30fps on console. Mouse Control was snappy and smooth, vs the sluggish controller at 30fps. Vehicle controls are still laughable, and I mean that, I laughed so hard playing with my Son as we bounced all over with Dirt bikes, Cars, Trucks and the Tractor which was the funniest of them all. It was a riot. The game is not without it's issues. Animation issues are funny, but one of the weirder ones that bother is the Sync issue with players. My Son who sits right next to me has different weather and time of day. Certain environmental stuff like chickens are on my screen but not his. Usually after a reload it corrects itself but its weird. It's a Ubi game I suppose. Also some genius decided to map Crouch to Ctrl and Prone to C. I have dolphin dived way to many times. Time to remap that tonight I suppose.

We started on the Advanced Difficulty if I remember correctly but we are going to kick it to Extreme when my buddy joins. We spent from about 7 PM to 1 AM playing in one small section of the map. Which is one of my concerns of Ubi bloat but it was still fun. That one shot kill ability while sneaking around brings back that GR feel I remember. The game plays best with Stealth and a hard difficulty, Its so easy to take a bullet and die, but I like the challenge.

Overall it makes me really excited for Breakpoint. I know I am coming into Wildlands years after it launched and I am sure things have been touched up and fixed from Launch. But overall I think what made it more enjoyable for me is the smoother gameplay on PC vs trying to play with a controller at a lower FPS. I read somewhere about a prologue to Breakpoint in Wildlands, will have to check that out.

Top Bottom