• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: God of War 1, 2, Chain of Olympus, Ghost of Sparta

Mario007

So, a couple of weeks ago Sony gave out GoW HD on PS Plus in Europe for free. Having never played the franchise, I tried it out and was quite enjoying it so when Sony put pretty much every GoW game bar GoW 3 and Ascension on sale the next week I bought the rest of the series. The only character action game I've played before was Darksiders and I've also had some experience with action games through the Kingdom Hearts series. Here are my thoughts game by game.

God of War HD
Things I liked:

1. Kratos- he's just a badass mo-fo. I love the way his very first line, 'to hell with you' pretty much sums up most of his responses to just about any NPC in the game (and in the whole series). Obviously, going in I knew his backstory so the big reveal of him killing his family fell a bit flat I enojoyed getting a bit more of the backstory, especially his calling down on Ares to save him.
2. Powers- I really liked the powers Kratos acquires in this game. It took a while to figure out which one to prioritise as I wasn't really sure what my fighting style was going to be but after the Sword of Artemis it clicked.
3. Fighting- It feels so great having the second analogue stick being a dodge button. It actually made the fights much more fluid for me than I would have expected. I remember from Darksiders my overall strategy used to be hit, hit, hit, block this gave me much more freedom. I also felt that while the combo variety wasn't very big, it was very easy to change them around and experiment with them.
4. Bosses- I liked the fact that the game really has only 3 big bosses and they were done quite well. Especially the Ares fight was epic just because of its scaled and the 'fuck yeah' feeling.

Things I didn't enjoy:
1. The opening Athens sequence during the night. I felt the night setting made everything a bit too dull looking and I much preferred when the game swapped to day as really that's when the visuals were able to still blow me away after all these years.
2. Cliffs of madness- I felt that the game was dragging on a bit at this point. After doing the whole Pandara's temple I really wanted to get the box only to find out I still had another area to fight through.
3. Why was Ares attacking Athens again? I don't think that's ever explained, or even why couldn't the god strike against him but needed Kratos.

God of War II
Things I liked:
1. The setting variety- It was a nice contrast to the first game, getting the jungle, the blizzard mountain, temple of fates etc. The game was very colorful and it was fun traversing through all the environments.
2. The opening- I really enjoyed the opening. It was a nice contrast to the siege of Athens with Kratos being the invading force. The battle with the collosus felt great and also giving you a reason why Kratos was without his abilities through a story is always appreciated.
3. Kratos- still a mad mo-fo.
4. The sense of scale- with the introduction of Titans the game felt much bigger and the overall conflict became much more interesting.

Things I didn't enjoy:
1. Powers- I didn't like the powers at all. They were a strange mix and match of various uses and I could never really find a balance between them. I ended up using Chrono's rage most of the time and just leveling up Blades of Athena.
2. The story- it kinda screamed 'Well the first game was a success, let's make this completely unrelated plot and stretch it into 2 games' sort of thing, like the Matrix triology or Pirates of the Carribean movies.
3. Plot hole- if Kratos could travel back in time why didn't he go back and prevent himself from killing his family? Also how could he just take all the Titans with him into the future? Wouldn't that create a present where he was never resurected by Gaia?

Chain of Olympus
I'm not gonna do the list thing here, cause I felt it wouldn't work for this game. I'd say CoO is a nice side-story, one which can be replicated many times as just one of those things that Kratos had to for the gods in his 10 years of service. It felt like GoW lite, with the puzzles being easier, combat being easier and Orbs being plentiful. I also felt the game was shorter than either of the console games. The lack of second analogue hurt the game a bit, I felt, when it came to combat.

I liked the little personal moment for Kratos when he had to give up on his daughter, knowing that only as a beast was he able to save her.

One thing that is strange for continuity is that Kratos kills the Queen of the Underworld and yet Hades helps him in GoW1. Also this would mark the first time a mortal has killed a god but this is never mentioned in the other games. In fact in GoW 1 a big deal is made out of the fact that as a mortal he needs the pandora's box to kill Ares.

Ghost of Sparta
Probably my favourite of the GoW games I've played. It's quite different from all the rest as it actually gives you a few moments to just cool down, like entering Sparta. It's a nice personal story and I felt it did really add a lot to the lore behind Kratos. It's a bit odd that Deimos was never mentioned before until this game (well apart from the last sentence in CoO) but that's acceptable.
I liked the fighting and the powers that they gave you. Also having Thera's powers was also pretty damn awesome and a nice addition and a bit of a twist on the typical GoW formula. There were also pretty much no puzzles here, not sure how to feel about that.
It is kinda weird that Kratos kills Thanatos, a god before the Olympians and that's never mentioned in GoW 2, surely that's a bit bigger than killing Ares, though then again Kratos is meant to have the power of a god in this game. The ending was quite nice, seeing Kratos struggle with his madness and question himself.
I felt the game was very good for explaining the random opening of GoW II, as you can see why Kratos hates the gods and why Zeus might be afraid of him.

I'm getting GoW 3 soon, so I can't wait!

Also just to mention Darksiders, looking at it now, is a complete rip-off of GoW. Everything about it, from the main hero, his motivation, use of mythology, the way NPC interact with you, even the damn chests is pretty heavily inspired by GoW.

I've never been a fan of the pacing in GoW games. They start off with the biggest bang, then never seem to reach that level of excitement. It's like the biggest spectacle they've designed is dumped at the start, and then it's mostly going through the motions for 10 more hours. The peak is so high, that the troughs and peaks afterwards feel all like downtime.

It's why I never got far into God of War 3.

Mario007

I've never been a fan of the pacing in GoW games. They start off with the biggest bang, then never seem to reach that level of excitement. It's like the biggest spectacle they've designed is dumped at the start, and then it's mostly going through the motions for 10 more hours. The peak is so high, that the troughs and peaks afterwards feel all like downtime.

It's why I never got far into God of War 3.
I heard GoW 3 actually address this and the tempo and action is upped in every level. I liked what they did in Gow 1 and GoS, the beginning wasn't overtly dramatic and so they could improve from there. But you're right fighting the Colosus in 2 wasn't really upped until the sisters of Fate fight.

Derrick01

Banned
You're in for a treat with 3. It has some dull parts but the highs are the highest of the entire series, Ascension included.

I heard GoW 3 actually address this and the tempo and action is upped in every level. I liked what they did in Gow 1 and GoS, the beginning wasn't overtly dramatic and so they could improve from there. But you're right fighting the Colosus in 2 wasn't really upped until the sisters of Fate fight.
GoW3 is more guilty of this than any of the games, actually.

AJ_Wings

I'm currently playing through the cliffs of madness section in GoW 1 HD and I actually quite like the layout and level design of the whole area. The beginning of the Athens section is probably the most boring out of the entire game because of the dull level design and enemies. Once you reach Pandora's temple, then the game enters awesome town.

I was impressed with how GoS looked on the PS3, especially for a PSP game. Ready at Dawn did a great job, no coincidence since the PSP GoW Collection is the only HD collection done by the original developer of the games.

I also replayed the first two God of War titles recently, followed it up with the PSP HD ports, and topped it off with replaying God of War III.

My reactions were mixed. The games actively discourage exploring and looking for secrets by letting you leap to your death or sealing you away from a previous room.
The games also made me really hate quicktime events, as you never knew what button you will have to press, tap or move in circles, making me suffer even more instant deaths.
Dodging felt useless too, as Kratos did it slowly and the distance wasn't that big. In comparison, the enemies leap like Superman. They also had a lot of recovery invincibility etc.

The PSP HD remakes were more forgiving, which made me like them more. The dodging actually felt better and as I played the PS3 versions I felt no lack of second stick. It was there and worked like it should.
Ghost of Sparta really stood out to me with its superb final battle, which had been ass in the other games. I especially hated GoW 1 end fight, where I'm forced to battle in a kiddy pool with my bad dodging against a much more agile enemy.

God of War III was a real step up from the previous two mainline games. I enjoyed it quite a bit, so it's tied with Ghost of Sparta as my favourite of the series, so far.

In the end I felt that the older games had their faults, some maybe tied to their age, but still, the story, characters, and most of the mechanics hold up.

Sidenote: I played Dante's Inferno after the four GoW titles and that made me appreciate Kratos' outings more. What a terrible, iPhone-rip-off level of a mess that was... (But the dodging felt better!)

Mario007

You're in for a treat with 3. It has some dull parts but the highs are the highest of the entire series, Ascension included.

GoW3 is more guilty of this than any of the games, actually.
Well those are some differing opinios, but still I can't wait for it.

Btw how is Ascension? I've seen a couple of reviews for it suggesting it is below GoW standard but I kinda want to buy it now cause I doubt there will be many people playing online in 6 months time.
I'm currently playing through the cliffs of madness section in GoW 1 HD and I actually quite like the layout and level design of the whole area. The beginning of the Athens section is probably the most boring out of the entire game because of the dull level design and enemies. Once you reach Pandora's temple, then the game enters awesome town.
I agree the Athens section was pretty badly designed.
I was impressed with how GoS looked on the PS3, especially for a PSP game. Ready at Dawn did a great job, no coincidence since the PSP GoW Collection is the only HD collection done by the original developer of the games.
Damn I only bought the PSP versions, just to have them on my Vita always handy. Good to now RaD did a great job with the ports.
I also replayed the first two God of War titles recently, followed it up with the PSP HD ports, and topped it off with replaying God of War III.

My reactions were mixed. The games actively discourage exploring and looking for secrets by letting you leap to your death or sealing you away from a previous room.
The games also made me really hate quicktime events, as you never knew what button you will have to press, tap or move in circles, making me suffer even more instant deaths.
Dodging felt useless too, as Kratos did it slowly and the distance wasn't that big. In comparison, the enemies leap like Superman. They also had a lot of recovery invincibility etc.

The PSP HD remakes were more forgiving, which made me like them more. The dodging actually felt better and as I played the PS3 versions I felt no lack of second stick. It was there and worked like it should.
Ghost of Sparta really stood out to me with its superb final battle, which had been ass in the other games. I especially hated GoW 1 end fight, where I'm forced to battle in a kiddy pool with my bad dodging against a much more agile enemy.

God of War III was a real step up from the previous two mainline games. I enjoyed it quite a bit, so it's tied with Ghost of Sparta as my favourite of the series, so far.

In the end I felt that the older games had their faults, some maybe tied to their age, but still, the story, characters, and most of the mechanics hold up.

Sidenote: I played Dante's Inferno after the four GoW titles and that made me appreciate Kratos' outings more. What a terrible, iPhone-rip-off level of a mess that was... (But the dodging felt better!)
I would say the bosses in both PSP games were quite nice and a bit different from the console games. I like the protect your family thing they did in GoW 1 and kinda considered that to be a part of the final boss.

rCIZZLE

I actually disliked Ghost of Sparta the most (well, up until Ascension which is pretty mediocre). Just wasn't a fan of the powers at all.

GoW3 is still my favorite. Just the sequence of battles, the section with Hermes, the final battle... all top notch. Even loved the labyrinth which seems to be a part that many didn't care for.

GoW2 is one of the best games of the past decade

Everything else...they have their moments. And it's always pretty slick and polished.

Glad Ghost of Sparta is getting more love. Together with the original, and a lot of GOW3 (sans the ending), those are my favourite games in the series. COO was just pure meh while I did not much care for GOW2. Not sure why I think that in retrospect, it was such a long time ago - it's due a replay. I've not played Ascension but it looks decent enough, even if the formula is wearing thin at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the weakest in the series.

Caode

Damn you GAF! Here's me trying to save some money for a change and swearing off the PS Store for awhile...now I have to go and buy Ghost of Sparta!

That and Chain's of Olympus are the only two I haven't played.

Mario007

Damn you GAF! Here's me trying to save some money for a change and swearing off the PS Store for awhile...now I have to go and buy Ghost of Sparta!

That and Chain's of Olympus are the only two I haven't played.
If you wanna save money buy GoS only but if you have a few euros to spare CoO is also a quite fun, especially if you haven't played GoW in a while. But GoS most definitely is a must play. It actually fleshes out a lot of the backstory which started GoW2 and thus GoW3.

Btw does anyone know how SSM explained the whole 'why didn't Kratos travel back in time to not kill his family' plothole in GoW2?

Adam Blue

They are all very fun. Though, GoW III seemed less focus on combat instances and more on spectacle. Sometimes I felt I was forcing my way.

Unfortunately Ascension is feeling the same way to me...but I love this series so much so I'm trying to get through it.

Mario007

They are all very fun. Though, GoW III seemed less focus on combat instances and more on spectacle. Sometimes I felt I was forcing my way.

Unfortunately Ascension is feeling the same way to me...but I love this series so much so I'm trying to get through it.
How is the co-op and multi in Ascension? is it as much fun as single player in GoW games?

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
God of War 2 is the best action-adventure game ever created. Everybody should play it.

Oemenia

Banned
Ive played the three console games and CoO and I still prefer the first game. While the second is excellent, the first just had this excellent pacing that did not make me want to stop playing until the end. GoW3 was good but I felt that it wasnt paced properly. The first game had the most environment repetition but never felt like it was dragging or padded out.

Cant wait to play GoS since everyone says that it addresses many of Kratos' (sometime his douchyness isnt cool) faults and happens to be as good as the console games.

Mario007

Ive played the three console games and CoO and I still prefer the first game. While the second is excellent, the first just had this excellent pacing that did not make me want to stop playing until the end. GoW3 was good but I felt that it was paced properly.

Cant wait to play GoS since everyone says that it addresses many of Kratos' (sometime his douchyness isnt cool) faults and happens to be as good as the console games.
Yeah GoS is pretty awesome for actually developing Kratos' character. Also it makes him even more cool in the end.

TEH-CJ

Banned
God of war 1 is still the best in my opinion.

the others are technically better games, but none of them come even close to capturing the magic of the first god of war. And the blade of Artemis is the best weapon in the entire series. Stupid not to bring it back...

Also I just realized. They completely fucked up kratos as a character in god of war 2.

Mileena

Banned
Ghost of Sparta is pretty good yea. Watch out for the third game, it's awesome up until you get to the stupid
maze (labyrinth?)
then it just becomes terrible

Caode

Just bought GoS on the store...it's insanely good value on there. €8.99 is ridiculously cheap for it.

Kallor

Ghost of Sparta was also my favorite. Enjoy God Of War 3! I'm actually playing through it right now on titan for the trophy, Ridiculously epic game.

More love for GoS from here. Damn amazing game. Makes me wonder if RaD would have done better job with Ascension.... Don't get me wrong still like the game but it's not at the same level as the rest.

GatorBait

Everyone needs to play Ghost of Sparta. It was fantastic and to me- the best one.

I actually just beat Ghost of Sparta last night for the first time (and Chains of Olympus the previous weekend, too). I was actually really surprised at how good it was. I thought the pacing and unfolding of the story was presented in a way that harkened back to GOW1. The storyline tie-ins between the already existing GOW games were well done (though as the OP states, a few odd aspects stand out considering the retcon-like nature of cramming in prequels into previously existing stories).

There was also a good mix between smaller bosses and larger bosses (something that GOW2 did to improve on the original). And the Spartan Arms were the best secondary weapon since the Blade of Artemis.

AlexBasch

Yep, I'm replaying the first two games before starting 3 and finished playing both PSP titles. Ghost of Sparta is without a doubt the best of the series so far. It was amazing.

Top Bottom