• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Good Kid, M.A.A.D City

Status
Not open for further replies.

boinx

Not big on rap either but i thought this album was pretty good.

The good shit:
Money Trees
Backseat Freestyle
Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe
Poetic Justice
County Building Blues
Swimming Pools
Real

Rest I don't really care for.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
58.gif

uYsa4bv.jpg

close, arguable.

Cerity

I'm probably one of the few who prefer S80 over GKMC, it's an easier album for me to pick individual songs out of. Aside from backseat freestyle and maad city I have to be in the mood to listen to GKMC, story and all.

Another young rapper I really enjoy is Joey Bada$$. He's a kid heavily influenced by his parents taste in early 90s east coast hip hop, i.e., De La Soul, Nas, A Tribe Called Quest. His lyricism is hit or miss, but I'm hopeful that he will improve his craft. Very bright future for this young man.

Dude has really dropped off lately IMO, 1999 was a very good project but peep and the summer knights tape were very stagnant given how young he is. I'll still be keeping an eye out for B4.DA.$$ at least.

chris121580

Now listen to Cartoon & Cereal (youtube link). It was meant to be on the album, but the samples weren't cleared. And be blown away that the album was that good even after losing one of the best songs.

Song is so damn awesome but not necessarily sure it would've fit within the context of the album. It's such an experimental track...really dig it

It would help if you said what you particularly like about this album.
Hah, good point :p I love the phat, dirty beats. I love Kendrick's flow and how he bends words to create an engaging rhythm. It reminds me of early Eminem. I like how he explores typical topics found in hip-hop (drugs, sex, violence) but within a context that is insightful and creates an emotional connection with the listener. I like how the album is consistent enough to where each song can stand on its own merits, but when listened together in its entirety it creates a whole extra layer of depth.

I strongly recommend Earl Sweatshirt's album Doris. It's my favorite album of 2013

Danny Brown - XXX (More extreme voice alteration, which may turn folks off. But thematically it's similar to GKMC in terms of inner city strife and finding oneself. Not a strict concept album though)

oh and another that is more of an alt-rapper is Chance the Rapper... he made his mixtape a free download, just search Acid Rap and d/l

I'll check all of these out, thanks guys :D

RJT

Song is so damn awesome but not necessarily sure it would've fit within the context of the album. It's such an experimental track...really dig it

But thematically, it just fits. It's the backstory of why he's a good kid:

Now I was raised in a sandbox, next to you and her
You was holding the handgun, she was giving birth
To a baby boy to be just like you, I wonder what's that worth
I wonder if you ever knew that you was a role model to me first
The next day I woke up in the morning, seen you on the news
Looked in the mirror, then realized I had something to prove
You told me "Don't be like me, just finish watching cartoons"
Which is funny now cause all I see is Wile E. Coyotes in the room

It would sit perfectly next to a skit with his parents...

RJT

Hah, good point :p I love the phat, dirty beats. I love Kendrick's flow and how he bends words to create an engaging rhythm. It reminds me of early Eminem. I like how he explores typical topics found in hip-hop (drugs, sex, violence) but within a context that is insightful and creates an emotional connection with the listener. I like how the album is consistent enough to where each song can stand on its own merits, but when listened together in its entirety it creates a whole extra layer of depth.

It was already suggested, but I think Danny Brown - XXX is the perfect album for you.

EDIT: kind of off-topic, but due to this thread I just realized that all the Black Hippy remixes and bonus cuts are on a Black Hippy spotify album (link).

Gila

I listen to this album daily. Real & Sing About Me have such a deep meaning and the rest just keep getting better by each listen.

Definitley Rap album of 2012 and the years to come

Dereck

EDIT: kind of off-topic, but due to this thread I just realized that all the Black Hippy remixes and bonus cuts are on a Black Hippy spotify album (link).
I think the entire album including all of the bonus tracks is like 95 minutes.

potam

Banned
It's one of those rare, solid albums throughout the entire thing.

I first heard him with...I forget, it was either The Recipe or Swimming Pools. I didn't really like those songs and sort of blew him off.

Then I heard m.A.A.d. city, and fuck. I love the things he does with his voice, it's a nice, refreshing change of pace.

I'll go ahead and admit that I didn't like Section 80 as much. I did only listen to it after GKMC, though, so that may have something to do with it :(

GKMC was one of my favorite albums last year, but I agree with the Killer Mike love. If you asked me what is the best example of a modern hip hop classic from 2012, I would go with R.A.P. Music

Not big on rap either but i thought this album was pretty good.

The good shit:
Money Trees
Backseat Freestyle
Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe
Poetic Justice
County Building Blues
Swimming Pools
Real

Rest I don't really care for.

You don't like Sing About Me...?

I got hooked on Swimming Pools then decided to check out the rest of the album. It took a while to grow on me but its fucking great now.

CrankyJay

Banned
Bad parenting? Just played The Recipe and Money Trees for my 14 month old daughter and she loves it. Laughing and dancing. Sounds amazing on my home stereo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom