• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Leon the professional...its creeping me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
Yes, people who find Mathilda creepy want to fuck children. Leon is unearthing certain posters' dark secrets. Now that's powerful cinema.

Nobody is taking issue with anyone finding aspects of the movie creepy, but people are specifically using the word 'pedo'. But if Leon isn't a pedo and the viewer isn't a pedo then what the fuck are you all using the word pedo for?

But is it so hard to understand that a girl of her age saying 'First time is very important for a girl, 'we will share a bed' and 'My love, Leon' etc. can be a little creepy to a few people? Of course Leon rebuffs her advances and I get that the character was in such a condition that she was more 'mature' than her age, but cant it still not be a little discomforting?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Yes, her advances on Leon are discomforting. Many people will feel this way.

Are you criticizing the movie or just pointing out that you're weirded out by young girls experiencing sexuality for the first time?

Because yeah I'd say to most people that can be uncomfortable to deal with. Should the movie not have dealt with this? Should movies just not ever involve subject matter that could make people feel uncomfortable?

She just had her family killed and doesn't know what to do with Leon. That shit would just mess you up on the head, but she was already messed up living in that apartment to begin with.

I don't see it as something serious because even Leon knows she's all kings of fucked up.

Just finish the movie, forget about that scene, and enjoy the chaos :)

Poor plant gets no love.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Yes, her advances on Leon are discomforting. Many people will feel this way.

Are you criticizing the movie or just pointing out that you're weirded out by young girls experiencing sexuality for the first time?

Because yeah I'd say to most people that can be uncomfortable to deal with. Should the movie not have dealt with this? Should movies just not ever involve subject matter that could make people feel uncomfortable?

No I am not criticizing the movie for that (although on a general level I do feel that I didnt find the movie all that good. Certainly not number 27 at IMDB material). I am just pointing out that it made me uncomfortable, which you also agree that would make a lot of people uncomfortable.

tolkir

It exists all kind of relationship that could take place depending the situation of the people involved.

El nido (1980) is a recognized Spanish movie with a 13 years old girl and 60 years old guy having a platonic love. It will be creepy for some people, but it can make easy to understand why this happens.

That doesn't mean you're a pedo.

Monocle

Nobody is taking issue with anyone finding aspects of the movie creepy, but people are specifically using the word 'pedo'. But if Leon isn't a pedo and the viewer isn't a pedo then what the fuck are you all using the word pedo for?
Does this really require an explanation? The word is associated with the sexualization of kids. Mathilda is a sexualized girl. She makes advances on Leon, and it's weird because she seems to want a romantic relationship with him. Nobody's popping a boner here, obviously. Obviously. If you think that has to be the case because people are using the word pedo to try to describe the ick factor of those strange sexually charged situations involving a kid and an (unwilling) adult, you must be going out of your way to be confused.

Muffdraul

Now make it a double-feature by watching City of Lost Children next.

m4ylvR8.jpg

Both are great movies.

This post reminded me how irksome it is that it's not on blu-ray yet. So I just checked Amazon... it's coming next month!

EGM1966

She has a crush that makes sense even though it's the kind of crush US cinema normally avoids like the plague.

He is rather simple but cares for her and looks after her and ultimately rebuffs her crush for a more sensible father/daughter relationship.

As a bonus you've got an amazing performance from Oldman and the cast and one of the best climactic shootouts ever commuted to celluloid.

Terrific film although the U.S. cut does hurt the film vs international cut/DC cut.

Ishida

Banned
Does this really require an explanation? The word is associated with the sexualization of kids. Mathilda is a sexualized girl. She makes advances on Leon, and it's weird because she seems to want a romantic relationship with him. Nobody's popping a boner here, obviously. Obviously. If you think that has to be the case because people are using the word pedo to try to describe the ick factor of those strange sexually charged situations involving a kid and an (unwilling) adult, you must be going out of your way to be confused.

Teenagers discovering sexuality is "sexualization of kids" now?

Ishida

Banned
It wouldn't seem unusual if her crush were another teenager.

Of course. But a teenage girl having a crush on an older man is not "sexualization of kids".

It's not that unusual, either.

Hell, when I was a teenage boy I had massive crushes on several older women.

Hey, guys. I'm posting to GAF while watching a movie, asking the internet to comment on something it's saying before giving the movie a chance to develop and comment on itself! I'm like your grandmother, who constantly asks you what's going on in a TV show, thirty seconds before the show gives her the answer.

I seem to recall (from Blu-ray extras) that Besson screen tested the international (Extended cut; 133m) version (in the U.S.?) and the audience reacted much in the same way as the OP and so he re-cut the movie (Theatrical cut; 110m runtime) and this is the version that I highly rate and would strongly recommend at least seeing first as IMHO, it's perfect.

The U.S. Blu-ray, Leon The Professional, has both versions of the movie and the Theatrical Cut is the one I fondly remember from the U.K., where the relationship between Leon and Mathilda is handled with a light touch and never goes off the deep end, as in the Extended Cut and IMO, makes for a much better, touching movie. Yeah, the extra scenes in the Extended Cut significantly changes the feel of the movie and ruins it for me.

People who are weirded out probably in their subconcious think Natalie is pretty cute in the movie but their mind is actively denying the thought and processing it as "creepy" or "weird" in order to cleanse yourself of sinful thought.

I'm a professional internet psychiatrist and I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Well you look at it as a trigger for some people. It's like with anything. It doesn't have to go too far to sexually arouse someone. Can you not imagine some pedo out there owning kids films?

It's just how it is. Sure the subject manner is pretty blatant. Leon doesn't want any of it and he acts the best way he can, but in my mind imagery can be taken too far. For some it's fine and others it's a trigger.

It's a movie. Notice that Leon is just as uncomfortable and confused about it.
Not because of her behavior, but because he doesn't know how to interact with other people, let alone with a 13yo girl in puberty.

But then again, before the movie was released in the US, people watching the original cut were mostly weirded out by the interactions between Leon and Mathilda, so you are not alone there.
Still, imho these people (without trying to sound rude) didn't really understand what that relationship was all about. Even if Luc Besson went through and made them a love couple, I would still understand where Luc Besson is coming from. Both characters never experienced any kind of love at all, but suddenly develop a deep sense of love and trust for each other, which has nothing to do with sexual intentions and whatsoever.

Probably I'm used to French cinema, but even so, I never had this weird feeling about their relationship, because as I said, Leon and Mathilda experience both, receiving and giving love for the first time in their life and both don't know how to deal with it. They try it in their own clumsy way. Leon's last scene proves this by how he acts and also Mathilda finally understands their relationship just before the credits roll hit.

Not that I agree, but the pedo in this scenario would be Luc Besson.

Finished the movie.

A few things first

I was watching the extended version.
I am not American.

Its a decent movie overall. Some very tense sequences and great performances by everyone involved.

But is it so hard to understand that a girl of her age saying 'First time is very important for a girl, 'we will share a bed' and 'My love, Leon' etc. can be a little creepy to a few people? Of course Leon rebuffs her advances and I get that the character was in such a condition that she was more 'mature' than her age, but cant it still not be a little discomforting?

It's MEANT to be discomforting. You make it out that a movie making you uncomfortable is like a bad thing, but that's the power of cinema. Of art. To get you to feel emotions. They're not always positive ones. You don't have to approve of the characters, you're not their parent. At least you've witnessed one of the best action movies ever.

The whole thing. It's a pseudo-romance between a man and a girl. It's only hinting at it without outright saying it, but the subtext is certainly there.

I don't have a problem with it, but I can understand why someone would.

If I said ephebophilic, less people would understand what I wrote.

Yeah it's not ephebophilic either. Gerentophilia is the word. It's the complete opposite.

Flavius

All these posts, and no one mentions the Natalie Portman movie in which she crushes on the dude, and the dude crushes back?

Nothing wrong with The Professional, OP. Go watch Beautiful Girls, then come back and tell us which one made you feel more uncomfortable.

I love the shit out of this movie. For one thing, her family life is terrible and she grows inspiration on how to act from her sister, she is going through puberty, and honestly, you would probably feel closer to whoever saved your life too at that age. I've seen it three times, and the first when I was probably around 13 it was the US version, and a few years later the extended not broken cut. Both are good versions, but the extended cut is by far better, and mostly for making you think about it.

For the love of god though, turn off your damn phone and laptop and just watch a movie to completion. You can't have feelings on the movie if you can't be bothered to watch it the whole way through

Nosgotham

At least watch the whole movie first if you want to be taken seriously. I find it very weird you were creeped out so bad you had to stop watching it. That is not a normal reaction for this movie

entremet

I sometimes wonder if people understand fiction.

If you're creeped out by Leon, read more. Way worse stuff out there. And I'm not talking about shock stuff or trash fiction, but legit classics that have stood the test of time.

Fiction isn't always about a rag tag group of people fighting evil in a very black and white moral landscape.

Zee-Row

Banned
I had such a crush on Natalie Portman in Leon when I was a kid. its cool though since she was older than me at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom