• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Lost Judgement: The Great Kamarucho Detective Caper

SCB3

Folks were are back into my Playthroughs of these games RGG games with Lost Judgement, a sequel to possibly my second favorite of these games, LAD is still up there as my favorite, so lets see what the sequel is all about,;

I've heard very mixed things about this one, varying from it being called the best to the story being about high school bullying or something, so its gonna be one of those love or hate games I can see, the first one was a fantastic detective story that I loved a lot and want to replay again someday, but first I have an entire Kiryu arc to get through (Kiwami -> Song of Life) alongside the latest game out in Jan. so lets dive in.

First impressions are this looks and feels fantastic, the amount of detail in these cites is only rivalled by Rockstars imo, and the first hour, though slow, is easing me back in. I should note that I am playing this with the JP VA and English subs, the last few games I've been doing that with even though Zero and LAD's English dub is top notch, it only feels right to be in Japanese whilst in Japan

Nankatsu

Gold Member
If you're only one hour in, you're too early for a LTTP thread in my opinion. Still, personally, I think you're in for a ride.

Game is fantastic. The narrative's theme may make it sound a bit meh at first glance, but it's mature and touches some very dubious points. The duality between the protagonist and the antagonist's points of views are top tier writing.

Loved every second of it and the next title is easily one of my most antecipated titles...whenever they decide to announce it.

Last edited:

SCB3

Alrighht, so a bit of an update as I've not had too much time to play, but yea those reports of this being about School bullies was kinda true, its wild to me. Also the first thing Yagami and Kaito do on arrival in a new town is beat the fuck outta some schoolkids, is Japan really this fucking wild!?

• LOL
Reactions: RNG

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I loved Judgment and hated Lost Judgment ... I can't stand Yagami anymore.

"But Sawa-sensei ... ! "

You'll understand when you finish the game.
Nonsense.

Come On Reaction GIF by WWE

SCB3

For a High School level drama this story has some damned good intriuge, it reminds me a lot of how the first Danganronpa is set up in a way

So what's the issue with RGG making a third game? Was it something to do with Yagami's actor?

Skifi28

Best combat in the franchise as far as I'm concerned. All the fighting styles were amazing including the DLC one (boxing). Worst thing about the game are probably the robotic club missions. Whoever designed and tested them needs to go out and touch some grass.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
For a High School level drama this story has some damned good intriuge, it reminds me a lot of how the first Danganronpa is set up in a way

So what's the issue with RGG making a third game? Was it something to do with Yagami's actor?
Yap, there was a long "battle" with the image rights of Takuya Kimura because Sega wanted to release the games on PC, and since the guy is a huge iconic celebrity in Japan, his agency was extremely against it because of PC mods, with the potential of nude mods of the actor himself being made.

Fast forward a couple of months and both games eventually got released on PC, which suggest that the issue was solved. It remains to be seen if they resolved the issue only for the two first games, or if a potential 3rd one was also considered.

There is also a rumored live action series based on the Judgement series with Kimura playing Yagami, but that rumor also has been on hiatus for a long time.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Saying “it’s about high school bullying” is disengenous. It’s like describing buffy the vampire as just “high school drama”, or Dexter being “a story about a studious lab technician”. Yea it’s true, but its leaving a lot out 🤣.

Great game btw…feels like a sort of comfort food.

RavageX

My issue with the sequel was mostly the story. It wasn't bad, but I didn't like it as much as the first game. I personally don't like all the flippy combat, and felt some animations were lazy (weapons simply falling out of their hands after a fight).

I still enjoyed the game of course.

SCB3

Yap, there was a long "battle" with the image rights of Takuya Kimura because Sega wanted to release the games on PC, and since the guy is a huge iconic celebrity in Japan, his agency was extremely against it because of PC mods, with the potential of nude mods of the actor himself being made.

Fast forward a couple of months and both games eventually got released on PC, which suggest that the issue was solved. It remains to be seen if they resolved the issue only for the two first games, or if a potential 3rd one was also considered.

There is also a rumored lived series based on the Judgement series with Kimura playing Yagami, but that rumor also has been on hiatus for a long time.
Thanks for the clarification, it’s good to see it seemed to be resolved as I would love more, I kinda prefer the more grounded Judgement series over Yakuza most of the time tbh, it tends to leave the silliness to the Side missions which is absolutely the best way to do it

SCB3

Onto the Tail end of Chapter 4 now and this part here perfectly encapsulates what I mean about RGG's tone not being consistent

• Big plot reveal- followed by a really sad story of Japan and attitude to School bullying, really touching and heartfelt
  • The very next mission has you go back to the Detective Agency to rest, however
    • You find a dog who is a detective Dog and leads you to a little boy outside an orphange
  • The dog smells the scent of the letter the Mother left and you follwo the Dog
  • Then you find her in a Parking Lot being forced into Prostitution by some Loan Sharks, hence why she was giving up her kid
Like wtf, why was it being played up for laughs, its like the tone cannot be too serious, whereas I think its kinda perfect for that, I want those darker, seedy underbelly crime stories

Now I've said before that if this was left to a more funny Side mission that I didn't HAVE to play, its fine, the best of both worlds, but as part of the main serious in tone questline, its really out of place

El Muerto

The Kaito Files was much better than the mainline story in Lost Judgment. You can't help but stare at Kaito's dumptruck when playing as him.
VUvPeRe.png

Skipped Judgement and went straight to LJ being on PS+. While a bit weary of combat near the end and aspects of the storytelling, it was a really solid game to go through.

SkylineRKR

I'd give the nod to Judgment 1s story since it was a whodunit. LJ is more about why and how since the perpetrator is known from the first second but it makes no sense at first.

The school stuff was actually great, its a game within a game. And it ends up having a decent story as well. You can completely skip it save the small few times the main story directs you there.

SCB3

Alright so after a small break to play some new DLC for Pokemon and God of War I'm back and in fully til the end now, on Chapter 7 now and this story is kinda heartbreaking and you just wanna see Yagami murder or bring them to justice now

NanaMiku

I loved Judgment and hated Lost Judgment ... I can't stand Yagami anymore.

"But Sawa-sensei ... ! "

You'll understand when you finish the game.
YES, I hate this so much. Yagami just met with Sawa but why he cared so much about her?

I actually resonate with the villain more than Yagami lol

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
How far did you get? After about Chapter 5 you barely go there again

He's prolly talking about the massive school side quest which involves several mini-games. I did them all but yeah some of them got really tiresome, especially the goddamn awful robot fights. That was fucking shit. They're obv not mandatory but they kinda feel like part of the whole game, unlike most minigames.

How far did you get? After about Chapter 5 you barely go there again
around chapter 5, i'd say. between the school stuff & the story just not grabbing me the same way the first game's did, i passed...

He's prolly talking about the massive school side quest which involves several mini-games. I did them all but yeah some of them got really tiresome, especially the goddamn awful robot fights. That was fucking shit. They're obv not mandatory but they kinda feel like part of the whole game, unlike most minigames.
yep, this was definitely part of it. guess i could've skipped it all, but, yeah, it did seem to be part of the game's story...

SCB3

around chapter 5, i'd say. between the school stuff & the story just not grabbing me the same way the first game's did, i passed...

yep, this was definitely part of it. guess i could've skipped it all, but, yeah, it did seem to be part of the game's story...
Ah ok, yea you got to what’s essentially the end of being in the school mostly, on the start of Chapter 9 now and I’ve not been back to the school since Chapter 5, I assume I may go back towards the end of the game but I’ve pretty much been in Ijinko and Kamarucho since

SCB3

Just starting Chapter 11 and though I am enjoying it, the main story is starting to drag a bit, it has the same issue the last Yakuza game did (Like a Dragon) where the ending is going over the top and could be wrapped up but isn't, looking at the trophies I do have 2 more chapters to go, so I'll keep going

Aenima

The main stories of the Judgement series are so much better than the Yakuza ones, also some great characters. But overall i still like more the Yakuza full package, especially the nighlife sidecontent.

SCB3

And done, this has quickly shot up to my favorite RGG game, the story is so so much better than people were giving it credit for and deals with that theme and where Vigilantes don't work as you'd want them to so well

I hope we get a third with Yagami, it much deserved and I'll be there day 1 for it.

Its a shame that there is so so many Yakuza/LAD games in a sense as alternating between them was great, next up though, LAD: infinite Wealth next year and I cannot wait for that

Top Bottom