• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

lttp: LoZ Minish Cap

cafemomo

I've always had mixed feelings towards the LoZ series. From the outside, I think it looks fun and fantastic, but once I actually get to play them. It falls apart for me. I remember trading OoT for FFVIII as a kid since I didn't get into it. Never got MM. Lasted only 30 or so mins with Twright Princess & never got past the start screen for Skyward Sword. I also have digital copies of the NES LoZ and Link's Awakening on my 3DS but never touched them. Wind Waker was the only one I finished until now.

I borrowed a copy of Minish Cap since I wanted to play something new for my GBA during my breaks at work, but as I progressed through the game I ended up playing this game more and more.

The 2D cel shaded-ish were beautiful to look at, and the ost was also wonderful to listen too. I really loved the dungeons & Hyrule was such a beautiful diverse place. My favorite location would be Veil Falls.

Oh, and I just love using that gust jar.

My only complaint is that the game was a wee bit too short and that some of the bosses were too easy (such as that fire guy and octocrok)

Minish Cap was such a joy to me from beginning to end. Cacpcom/Nintendo made a fantastic game. I'll be picking up my own copy of this game very soon. Really can't wait to replay it again. Anyone who owns a GBA should really play this game.

I enjoyed it more than ALTTP. I played both games on the GBA so that might have had something to do with that. I'd almost go as far as to rank it amongst the best Zelda games period. Never had so much fun with a Zelda game as I had with Minish Cap.

Codeblue

best 2D Zelda after ALTTP

yes, that is right

yes, YES you read that right

aha. yeah.

come at me

I support this sentiment. Fun, charming, unique game with actual incentive to explore every last inch of the world and meet the NPCs that gave it life.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Really great game. Really underrated in the pantheon of the series, too. It's certainly a bit easy, but I just love exploring the world so much. Those Capcom Zelda games... they knew what they were doing, man.

If you're a fan of the NIntendo/Capcom collab Zelda games, check out the Oracle games for gbc (on 3DS VC). But considering you didn't bother to touch Link's Awakening, arguably the best top down Zelda imo, I'm not sure how you'll like em. They're all great games though, so quit being a little bitch and play the damn games!

leroidys

I don't think I've seen a single post yet trying to argue for why it is good outside of the op, so I won't bust my ass to make a proper counterargument.

Game is lower tier Zelda, probably the worst sprite-based game after Zelda II.

Real impressions below c/p from an older thread:
In my quest to 100% all zelda games before Skyward Sword releases, I recently picked up minish cap for a replay. I thought this would be a good place to start, as I didn't remember much more of it than generally not enjoying it too much, and it seems to garner such high praise here I thought I might have been missing something.

New features
Minish cap is an interesting mash up of 2d Zelda and Wind Waker gameplay elements, but it feels just like that to me - a weird mash up. Minish cap has the slowest walking speed of any zelda game ever, EVAR. You walk excruciatingly slowly, necessitating you jamming R at all times. Not a pleasant experience on any backlit iteration of the gba. Whereas text up to this point in 2d zeldas was always minimal, unintrusive, and snappy, the text here adopts the 3d paradigm of being way too slow, pointless, and repetitive.

The context sensitive r button is nice (aside from the irritation of constantly rolling). You can pick stuff up without switching to a bracelet, theres a dedicated 'talk' button, you can shrink without switching to an item, etc.

The Minish Cap
Speaking of shrinking, let's talk about the namesake gimmick. It starts out decently, you get shrunk down to a microscopic level and realize the implications of the amount of content they could pack into a zelda world with this mechanic. Unfortunately, it just never really pans out. There are a couple instances (such as the fountain quest in the village) where the shrinking mechanic feels like its actually expanding the amount of usable space, but otherwise it's purely cosmetic, "you can't go through this tiny door, you have to shrink first!". It really adds almost nothing to the game, and I think it qualifies as a gimmick in the worst sense.

The Dungeons
Most of the dungeons are serviceable, but some, such as the sky dungeon, are almost an entirely straight line. This would be kind of OK if there were more of a focus on combat, but minish cap is perhaps the easiest 2d zelda ever. I honestly don't think I died once. So running straight through a dungeon in a straight line just feels like shitty design. I beat the game less than a week ago and can already barely remember the dungeons. There also aren't very many.

The Items
The items are a mixed bag in this game, ranging from awesome to garbage IMO. For example, the mole mitts are a really cool new take on the shovel, though I feel like they were never really utilized to the concepts potential (aka just a palette swap for the shovel). The roc's cape is also an incredibly cool update to the roc's feather, allowing you not only to jump but to glide.

The four sword upgrades were kind of cool, I liked having multiple sword upgrades. It's always satisfying to one-hit a monster that would have given you some trouble earlier in the game.

I've always had a soft spot for the boomerang in zelda games, but in MC it's borderline worthless. You only take it out to kill one or two enemies ever. There's an upgrade though, so that's cool.

The gust jar is an extremely poor replacement for the hookshot. Seriously, this may be my least favorite zelda item ever. You have to hold it down for a couple seconds before it even does anything, which is irritating, and its use is extremely limited.

The cane of pacci is kind of lame in concept (it flips things over! hurr), but actually useful throughout the game.

The mirror shield makes a comeback! One of my favorite zelda items, but you don't actually get it until AFTER you beat the game, so it's worthless.

Sidequests/additional content

This is where the game really shines. There is a ton of optional content, not least of which being kinstones, which I thought was a really great system and I'm surprised we haven't seen anything like it since. Tracking down every fusion is kind of a pain, but its a really good way to keep things interesting and pack a ton into every inch of the map.

There seemed to be lots of hidden dungeons as well, mainly from kinstone fusions. Tiger scrolls were a cool addition though the moves were mostly useless, and using shells for figures was kind of cool but ultimately a huge headache to collect all of them as you had to sit through so much text every time.

Audio

The audio is fine, but almost everything is recycled zelda songs - not even reorchestrated. Lame.

Conclusion

Minish Cap is definitely worth playing, but it clearly sets the series on the course that leads to the underwhelming Phantom Hourglass. The map is tiny, the gimmick is gimmicky, there are few dungeons, and the new items are mainly crap. Getting all the content ups the enjoyability quite a bit, but the lack of difficulty and linear nature make it a fairly forgettable experience. Although much of it seems haphazardly cut/pasted from Wind Waker, the pixel work is stunning, and it is definitely one of the best looking 2d games ever, IMO.

TLDR:

+beautiful
+kinstones (I actually liked them)

-Link is reallllllllllly slow
-not a single above average dungeon
-shrinking is a poor gimmick
-slow, constant text
-crappy music
-poor item selection
-no memorable characters
-few memorable boss fights

All the above negatives considered, that's basically a laundry list of everything that could go wrong with a Zelda game.

I have a really hard time seeing how anyone even puts this in their top half of Zelda games, let alone favorite (assuming they're a fan of the series).

cafemomo

Although much of it seems haphazardly cut/pasted from Wind Waker

I think that's why I was so attracted to the game before playing it. I adored WW art style.

I wanna play the DS LoZ because of that reason alone, but a lot of people tell me it's trash.

leroidys

I think that's why I was so attracted to the game before playing it. I adored WW art style.

I wanna play the DS LoZ because of that reason alone, but a lot of people tell me it's trash.

I'd say that they're both definitely worth playing, and solid 7-7.5 games. I like ST quite a bit, but recognize that it has many severe flaws. Neither live up the Wind Waker's legacy though, unfortunately.

maxcriden

Awesome Zelda, one of my faves. Maybe my favorite 2D Zelda but I'm not terribly far into LBW yet and it's great so far.

Top Bottom