• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Modded Fallout 4

After discussing Fallout 4 in this thread, I had a weird urge to replay the game.
Since I last played it on the PS4 before mods were released, I thought it'd be a great time to get back into it and see how I could spice things up to make the game more interesting.

Sadly, I was disappointed with the PS4 mods of offer, so I decided to dust off my PC and see what the mod nexus had on offer.
To my amazement, I found a few mods that were exactly what I wanted:

An alternative start mod, that also changes multiple lines of dialogue so you're no longer Nate/Nora/Shaun's parent.
A silent protagonist mod, that mutes the player character so that you can just read the diagloue line that you select.
Lastly, the full dialogue mod that shows your whole dialogue choice instead of an abbreviation.

Just those three mods fix one of my largest complaints I had about Fallout 4, that the main character's personality and backstory are set in stone, which made role playing impossible for me.

So, off I set with a handful of mods. I jump into a new game on Survival mode.
I create my character, and with the alternative start I choose to start the game in Goodneighbour, my favourite settlement in the game. To me, it reminds me of Freeside from New Vegas.

I wander around the town for a bit in my starting gear, a crumpled detective hat and a worn brown leather coat. That alone sets the tone for the character I'm now playing, a roguish wastelander looking for caps.

Then I head down into the Third Rail to start my first quest of clearing out the thugs in Goodneighbour for the robot bartender.

No main quest baggage, no 30-45 intro sequence to build the character's background.
Just straight into the meat of the game, exploring, doing quests and surviving in the Commonwealth.
So far, it has completely changed my opinion on the game for the better.

void666

Banned
That's the only way i can enjoy fallout 4. Ignore the main quest and roleplay on my own.
Shaun? Who is that?

I can't believe Bethesda is capable of good writing and quest design. I just wish they would stop trying to break my immersion.

Started Fallout 4 two days ago. Rough start. But I am starting to get a grip. First Fallout I ever played btw.

Not using any mods right now (PS4). Should I? I want to carry more stuff...

Started Fallout 4 two days ago. Rough start. But I am starting to get a grip. First Fallout I ever played btw.

Most will tell you to play a game for the first time without mods, but it's entirely up to you.
If you care about your trophies, then you should know that mods will unfortunately disable them.

void666

Banned

Part of the experience is to mod the game to best suit your needs. I'd avoid overhaul mods. But quality of life mods are always welcome.

Top Bottom