• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, AKA Monster Hunter Bore-ld: Ice-bore-ne

Grinchy

Banned
Here's the quick review of the Iceborne DLC:

ZQVH73Z.png

Here's the elaboration:

They made a ton of choices that don't make the game more difficult, but instead just make it so tedious. Flash pods no longer knock flying monsters out of the air so they just fly for minutes at a time, every monster just flops around the whole time like a bull on cocaine, previous enemy moves have been tweaked to be less predictable, ect. There's way too much to even list right now. Every change is there to make you less effective even when you know what you're doing.

The new mechanic of having to wound the parts the whole fight (or else you're doing baby damage) sucks. You can time things perfectly between monster attacks/movements and still get knocked off, but then sometimes you get the wound in even when they're thrashing. There's not a skill to it. And not wounding just makes the fight longer. Again, tedious.

And take Rajang, for example. It tells you to hit his tail to take it out of its enraged mode faster. Well, good luck even touching him with a hammer or greatsword at any point in the fight, let alone getting tail hits. And it can't be trapped by a shock trap while enraged, and the pitfall trap doesn't leave the tail exposed. Tedious fight.

Almost nothing they added is fun. You never even go to the new snowy area for anything! I had a bounty for 2 quest completions in the new zone that literally sat unfinished for weeks of playing. After 350 hours, I think I may finally be done. I can't say I didn't get my money's worth, but I wish I saved the $30 I spent on this DLC.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I put in 40 or so hours into the base game. It’s a beautiful game, loved fighting monsters, but the grind to be god-like was too tedious for me. I saw the DLC was on sale, but it’s sounds like it’s more or less the same thing.

I couldn’t imagine 350 hours. I love games and replaying games. 350 on something like this is insane. My biggest issue is that I want to fight using an amazing elemental weapon and take something down after a couple hours of grinding. It just isn’t logical and I can’t see myself grinding away at DLC just to get half the results.

Flash pods no longer knock flying monsters out of the air so they just fly for minutes at a time
Wtf, I'm gonna have to check out footage for this because theoretically it's definitely a dumb change.
And take Rajang, for example. It tells you to hit his tail to take it out of its enraged mode faster. Well, good luck even touching him with a hammer or greatsword at any point in the fight, let alone getting tail hits. And it can't be trapped by a shock trap while enraged, and the pitfall trap doesn't leave the tail exposed. Tedious fight.
I don't remember if it was his tail that was a prime target. I'd always go for his horns in MH4U/XX but then again, I'm a CB main so breaking them was generally easier.

Not getting stunned by shock traps while in SSJ mode has always been his thing though. Same goes for pit traps not exposing his tail.

That tail advice sounds more apt for a party where one draws aggro and another goes for the tail, even in the past you'd be hard pressed to get hits on his tiny tail while he's going mad.

Edit: Just remembered you can also go for pit trap > head stun > tail gank if you want.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Wtf, I'm gonna have to check out footage for this because theoretically it's definitely a dumb change.

I don't remember if it was his tail that was a prime target. I'd always go for his horns in MH4U/XX but then again, I'm a CB main so breaking them was generally easier.

Not getting stunned by shock traps while in SSJ mode has always been his thing though. Same goes for pit traps not exposing his tail.

That tail advice sounds more apt for a party where one draws aggro and another goes for the tail, even in the past you'd be hard pressed to get hits on his tiny tail while he's going mad.

Edit: Just remembered you can also go for pit trap > head stun > tail gank if you want.
In the base game, you can knock the flying monsters out of the air every single time you (properly) shoot a flash pod. In Master Rank (the DLC), you are lucky if you knock them down once. They just stay in the air in a "flashed state" from then on.

And with the Rajang thing, the handler specifically tells you that damaging its tail will cause its enraged mode to die off sooner. Since you can't trap it with a shock trap to access the tail while he's enraged, they aren't the answer. And he also breaks out of pitfalls so fast it's like you never trapped it anyway. I played it all solo or co-op, so what you can cheese with 4 people online is a whole other thing.

The entire base game was turned into easy mode by playing with 4 players online, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this DLC is less shitty that way too. Since all 4 people can be spamming the horrible grapple/wound mechanic, especially. I doubt it gets "good" that way, though.

Last edited:
In the base game, you can knock the flying monsters out of the air every single time you (properly) shoot a flash pod. In Master Rank (the DLC), you are lucky if you knock them down once. They just stay in the air in a "flashed state" from then on.

And with the Rajang thing, the handler specifically tells you that damaging its tail will cause its enraged mode to die off sooner. Since you can't trap it with a shock trap to access the tail while he's enraged, they aren't the answer. And he also breaks out of pitfalls so fast it's like you never trapped it anyway. I played it all solo or co-op, so what you can cheese with 4 people online is a whole other thing.

The entire base game was turned into easy mode by playing with 4 players online, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that this DLC is less shitty that way too. Since all 4 people can be spamming the horrible grapple/wound mechanic, especially. I doubt it gets "good" that way, though.

Oh it's Master Rank...Still seems dumb if there's no way to secure a knockdown though. Does the new grappling claw allow you to at least get on them while they're flying blind?

Yea enraged monsters all break out of pit traps faster even pre-MHW, maybe try tranquilizers combined with it?

My approach vs Rajang was just to dance with him at close range, not sure how viable that is in MHW since the devs claim to have given him some new moves to surprise veteran players.

Here's the quick review:

ZQVH73Z.png

Here's the elaboration:

They made a ton of choices that don't make the game more difficult, but instead just make it so tedious. Flash pods no longer knock flying monsters out of the air so they just fly for minutes at a time, every monster just flops around the whole time like a bull on cocaine, previous enemy moves have been tweaked to be less predictable, ect. There's way too much to even list right now. Every change is there to make you less effective even when you know what you're doing.

The new mechanic of having to wound the parts the whole fight (or else you're doing baby damage) sucks. You can time things perfectly between monster attacks/movements and still get knocked off, but then sometimes you get the wound in even when they're thrashing. There's not a skill to it. And not wounding just makes the fight longer. Again, tedious.

Almost nothing they added is fun. You never even go to the new snowy area for anything! I had a bounty for 2 quest completions in the new zone that literally sat unfinished for weeks of playing. After 350 hours, I think I may finally be done. I can't say I didn't get my money's worth, but I wish I saved the $30 I spent on this DLC.

giphy.gif

Waited so long for the next chapter in this saga, ‘twas worth it.

Way to end 2019 strong.

Grinchy

Banned
Im wondering, cant you grapple and make monsters run into walls in master rank ?
I don't know if the grapple works that way on the lesser monsters or not. I know that when you mount something, you can hit their head over and over to make them run into a wall, but the grapple mechanic is literally just grabbing on and getting 2 hits in to get a wounded status on that body part. It's not the same as where you do air attacks until you get a mount.

When you get to the later monsters, like the new elder dragons and high Master Rank level fights, a failed grapple can basically take out 70% of your HP. After flailing around on the ground for a bit, you better not get touched by anything else. And that's why the mechanic sucks. You have to do it the whole fight, over and over, there's no skill to the timing of it, and it can be dangerous enough to kill you every attempt. I say again, it's tedious and this DLC sucks.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

MHW spoiled people.

Go solo your way up to and through G Rank in the older games. That'll either harden you up for the bullshit you're complaining about, or it'll break you and you'll end up a hollow shell of your former self. Endgame Monster Hunter has always been about chasing a rampaging monster around while most of your tools are useless and it can kill you in two hits.

Grinchy

Banned
MHW spoiled people.

Go solo your way up to and through G Rank in the older games. That'll either harden you up for the bullshit you're complaining about, or it'll break you and you'll end up a hollow shell of your former self. Endgame Monster Hunter has always been about chasing a rampaging monster around while most of your tools are useless and it can kill you in two hits.
Have you actually played this one? I expected a bunch of "git gud" stupidity, but if you haven't even played this DLC to completion, don't just assume it's not more annoying than the previous games.

Lanrutcon

Have you actually played this one? I expected a bunch of "git gud" stupidity, but if you haven't even played this DLC to completion, don't just assume it's not more annoying than the previous games.

Doesn't matter. I'm not telling you to git gud: I'm telling you that what you're experiencing is par for the course. Monster Hunter has always had terrible end games. You remember underwater combat? The most complained about addition to the franchise ever? shitty 3 dimensional combat in giant arenas while your character moves at 1/3 speed, loses most of its moves and the monsters just keep doing driveby attacks? That's what Iceborne is up against. Maybe I'm wrong and its worse...but I doubt it. At least you're not experiencing it in 12 fps.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Doesn't matter. I'm not telling you to git gud: I'm telling you that what you're experiencing is par for the course. Monster Hunter has always had terrible end games. You remember underwater combat? The most complained about addition to the franchise ever? shitty 3 dimensional combat in giant arenas while your character moves at 1/3 speed, loses most of its moves and the monsters just keep doing driveby attacks? That's what Iceborne is up against. Maybe I'm wrong and its worse...but I doubt it. At least you're not experiencing it in 12 fps.
"The series has had shitty design before, so any shitty design in the new one should be automatically accepted and never discussed! I've also never played this one, but I know you're wrong anyway somehow."

Great logic.

Grinchy

Banned
I loved every second of this expansion and definitely got my money's worth. The entire game was a 10/10 experience.
There were points where I was liking the DLC, but toward the end and in the post-game, I just started hating it.

I really hope that a true sequel next-gen re-thinks some of the game mechanics.

Tipton32

I was initially turned off from the idea of having to fight the same monsters over and over again to get the armor and weapons I want but honestly I love the shit out of MHW and I’m excited for more (waiting on PC release of iceborne). There’s a lot of depth to the combat and I’m still learning new things after finishing the story mode. It’s an incredible game imo.

waylo

Banned
My buddy hyped and hyped this when it came out on PC (base game). I bought it and absolutely hated it. It's so fucking boring and everything around actually fighting monsters is insanely obtuse. I put 16 hours into this boring garbage, and my buddy still tells me "dude, you barely played it, you gotta stick with it".

Grinchy

Banned
I was initially turned off from the idea of having to fight the same monsters over and over again to get the armor and weapons I want but honestly I love the shit out of MHW and I’m excited for more (waiting on PC release of iceborne). There’s a lot of depth to the combat and I’m still learning new things after finishing the story mode. It’s an incredible game imo.
Yeah, this thread is only about the Iceborne DLC. I liked the base game a lot too. It's not perfect, but it was pretty damn good.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I sunk the least amount of time into this Monster Hunter compared to the previous ones, probably because it was far easier and a lot more convenient. I never once felt like I was hitting a wall and therefore had to grind for an upgrade.

Grinchy

Banned
I sunk the least amount of time into this Monster Hunter compared to the previous ones, probably because it was far easier and a lot more convenient. I never once felt like I was hitting a wall and therefore had to grind for an upgrade.
That was an issue I definitely had with the early base game. I kept wondering when the game would force me to get armor that was tailored to the next big monster. Every cutscene introducing a new menacing beast seemed to finally be that point, and then it wasn't.

They basically had to add new monsters for end-game (non-DLC) to get some actual difficulty in it for people who played the previous iterations. And now the DLC is just them removing anything that was convenient and making things tedious, but not difficult.

Lanrutcon

"The series has had shitty design before, so any shitty design in the new one should be automatically accepted and never discussed! I've also never played this one, but I know you're wrong anyway somehow."

Great logic.

Damn. The game really got to you, didn't it? When you're done experiencing the stabbing pains in your rear and have calmed your breasts we can have a nice long conversation comparing MHW's endgame vs that of the previous games. Right now it just seems like you want to rant the pain away.

Those wounds will heal in time, soldier. Be brave.

Edit: PC version launches the 9th. So I'll schedule my own rant thread for sometime around the end of Jan.

Last edited:
I don't know if the grapple works that way on the lesser monsters or not. I know that when you mount something, you can hit their head over and over to make them run into a wall, but the grapple mechanic is literally just grabbing on and getting 2 hits in to get a wounded status on that body part. It's not the same as where you do air attacks until you get a mount.

When you get to the later monsters, like the new elder dragons and high Master Rank level fights, a failed grapple can basically take out 70% of your HP. After flailing around on the ground for a bit, you better not get touched by anything else. And that's why the mechanic sucks. You have to do it the whole fight, over and over, there's no skill to the timing of it, and it can be dangerous enough to kill you every attempt. I say again, it's tedious and this DLC sucks.
Did you not to do the grapple tutorial quest? While grappling onto them and doing hits to soften them up so you can do more damage to that spot is nice, the main perk is you can grapple onto a enemies head and then use slinger ammo to slam them into a wall, which will not only do good damage but knock them down. if they're not facing a wall you can hit O (PS4 controller) to turn them, doing this will also put them into a short stun so they can't attack or knock you off. However you cannot do this while the monster is enraged.

Can be done on any monster but Xeno/Safi'jiiva. Although for the final boss, Shara, you have to slam him into traps to get the knockdown,.

Here's a time stamp of it being done.

Here's a timestamp of how to do it on Shara.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn. The game really got to you, didn't it? When you're done experiencing the stabbing pains in your rear and have calmed your breasts we can have a nice long conversation comparing MHW's endgame vs that of the previous games. Right now it just seems like you want to rant the pain away.

Those wounds will heal in time, soldier. Be brave.

Edit: PC version launches the 9th. So I'll schedule my own rant thread for sometime around the end of Jan.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Whatever you say, buddy. I don't know why you are here to be the expert on the endgame you haven't even played yet, but you do you.

Lanrutcon

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Whatever you say, buddy. I don't know why you are here to be the expert on the endgame you haven't even played yet, but you do you.

If your ability to hunt monsters is anything like your reading comprehension then no wonder you're bitching about Iceborne's difficulty, champ.

smiley face smiley face

Top Bottom