• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Person of Interest - It's fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, this LTTP has been a long time coming. I've caught up on PoI a week ago and have been trying to mull over everything this series does right in my head. If you want the short version, it's nearly everything.

To start off with, the premise itself is a unique twist on the typical crime procedural. By having the machine give them the numbers of people who will be in trouble, the set up is about discovering the crime that is going to happen to the person of interest rather than discovering the person of interest by figuring out the crime. This allows a good deal of character development to happen to the PoI of the week, making a lot of one off characters memorable and fully developed. I still wonder if certain characters like the judge he helped out with his kid or the billionaire that gave Reese the watch is going to come back, because a lot of them have the potential to be explored further. Not to mention the villains like the Most British Accent In The World or the Ghost guy that were extremely entertaining one off villains.

What strikes me here as particularly good is how those interesting PoI's are often used to develop the main characters in an awesome way, which adds to them not feeling like worthless one-offs. A really good early example is when Reese has to convince a lady not to go through with murdering a date rapist and then has to be confronted with the same decision himself. It is an episode about how the act of killing people is something that hurts and lessens you, even if it's for a 'good' reason. The murky, uneasy effects of vigilantism is that it is easy to make the show about 'good guys kicking bad guys ass' and go too far with that to the point where you just dehumanize criminals. The fact that the show always keeps this in the forefront of it's mind, where even in the latter seasons, the life and death of 'bad guys' is taken as a serious moral issue is something that makes PoI shine compared to it's contemporary superhero shows that have no problems just writing off the murders the main character commits as 'well, those guys were assholes, so who cares." Most of Reese's kills are absolutely necessary in order to save other lives. There are times when they aren't, but those are usually when he's so immensely pissed off that he isn't thinking straight. The point I'm making here is that any vigilante story is about one man going above the law to right wrongs, as that's the basic premise of the genre, but Person of Interest could have taken the very easy way of just being a revenge fantasy on the 'evils' of the world but it rises above that. It takes the ideal of the value of life pretty seriously, and it's a better show for it.

Another point of intrigue this show has is it's varied nature. Most of the episodes will have atleast one shootout, hacking, etc. This is again due to the premise of the show, where whoever's number comes up is by definition in danger of being killed. But how creative the writers get with the plot and characters really impresses me. Episodes or plot points that surprised me were a suicidal teen suffering from survivor's guilt, a wife and husband trying to kill each other because they can't admit they love each other, a woman who incapacitates Finch by injecting him with ecstacy...I especially enjoy that last one, because Marvel's monopoly on the superhero genre has kind of made every superhero film have a wacky, rapid comedy sense of humor. Person of interest's humor is usually sly and sardonic, but when it does get silly, it goes the extra length to justify it in universe so that it's funny but also fits the series. But the episodes can and will surprise you in their diversity for how they approach a lot of subject matter and get clever with certain plot points or themes. At any point, you can either get a "shit just got real" episode where they introduce some new major character or twist or one that examines some fundamental part of some part of the cast or a switched perspective, or just a fun episode of the cast being badass because sometimes we just need a break. For a show going on 20+ episodes a season, I guess it has go to these lengths to remain good, but it's surprising they manage it. I should also mention that this is one of the most well produced shows. Like, it has pretty much movie quality action sequences. I don't remember anything looking cheap and they have some impressive set pieces.

Whats really interesting about this show is it pretty much changes genre's later on. From a modern day crime procedural to post cyber punk. I've heard there is some fan discrepancy over when the show was better. For my part, it's a give and take. The earlier episodes I felt were more poignant and meaningful in terms of character development, while the latter episodes make it more of a cool serialized scifi action story. While it might seem obvious that being about meaningful character moments might make the episodic stuff 'better' the fact is that at least Reese's (and Finch's, to a lesser extent) character seems to have hit a dead end in terms of development after the first season. We learn exactly why it is they do what they do, and that they're happy with being the people they are, so all the big points have been hit. They've changed in a few ways since then, but the long character strides are mostly done it seems. So I don't mind them being static as the other main characters get more in terms of development, and having the plot gain more focus in the face of the current big bad. Besides, neither Reese nor Finch have stopped being fun to watch. They're both still faced with dilemmas and crisis and have lots of fun moments, and they are still developing in smaller ways. So for me, it's a give and take. We lost some really interesting episodic miniarcs, but we gained a really awesome scifi plot. And hey, maybe in another few seasons, the structure will change again. You can never tell exactly for sure with this show.

I've mostly talked about structure and themes of the show, but what about the characters? Well, I love them all very much. I can't really go into depth here because I don't want to spoil too much for anyone who hasn't seen it, and going into depth with any one of them could be an essay by itself. Reese is the best Batman-that-never-was. Finch is awesome. But Lionel Fusco is amazing. The character development that guy goes through is one of the best in any series. Carter is the same. Her last seasonal arc was the stuff of legends. They won't be your favorite character at first, but they really grow. And then later on we get the really awesome Shaw, and Elias, and Dominic, and....well, it'd be easier to list the characters I don't like. Control and Kara and Snow. That's pretty much it. They're nearly universally handled very well. Root is too, but I feel I am diverging from the popular opinion by saying that I find hers to be the least believable of any of the main cast. However, just because I say that I should point out that even Root is still pretty good, just the weakest relative to everyone else.

I could go on and on about the things this show does right, because there is more stuff, but that edges more into spoiler territory and I feel I've covered the big points anyway. There is a LOT to like about this show, and I encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to watch it.

MY MAN.

tumblr_mvydvnnTZb1s4lb2so1_400.gif

DJ_Lae

My wife and I have been catching up too - we're currently nearing the end of season 3. How we'll watch season 4, though, I don't know (third season is on-demand and we haven't been recording the fourth season episodes).

First season had its rough spots but there were some fantastic episodes in there. I really like the characters, and I'm with you that Fusco is my favourite character.

Carter, though. Third season spoilers -
I figured her death was coming a bit in advance (actually surprised it wasn't earlier than it was). What put both my wife and I off, however, was the whole Reese/Carter last minute romance thing, as it came out of nowhere and turned him into a moping shithead for several episodes. It's one of the few things in the show that's just felt weird somehow, although I realize he did something similar earlier on with his ex. It just came out of nowhere, I guess, and was more hilarious than it was moving. Just didn't work for us.

I'm glad we started watching it, though. Both of the shows I've been doing catch-up on in the last month (Person of Interest and Psych) I've really enjoyed. It's always fun binge watching a great show.

I was hoping Leon shows up again but I don't think that'll be the case. Zoe, too.

Veelk

Banned
Carter, though. Third season spoilers -
I figured her death was coming a bit in advance (actually surprised it wasn't earlier than it was). What put both my wife and I off, however, was the whole Reese/Carter last minute romance thing, as it came out of nowhere and turned him into a moping shithead for several episodes. It's one of the few things in the show that's just felt weird somehow, although I realize he did something similar earlier on with his ex. It just came out of nowhere, I guess, and was more hilarious than it was moving. Just didn't work for us.

I agree. From what I heard, Reese's kiss was an in the moment thing while they were filming and they decided it worked. Like you, I disagree and thought it was weird because up until then, I thought their relationship had been portrayed as a close friendship. Something I really liked since it was rare to see two badass characters just be friends if they're the opposite gender. I felt Reese being weird afterwards was appropriate though. Man gets like that when he loses his friends.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Show's amazing, and it'll be on netflix this fall (first 3 seasons) hopefully gaf gives it a chance.

Sober

Now you can join us in the sun the OT and complain when the show goes on month-long breaks in the middle!

I'm super glad the show is hitting Netflix in the fall. I'll think about organizing a (re)watch for new and older viewers.

I'm LTTP as well. Just a few episodes into Season 2 and yeah, it's good. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm not really gonna read this thread too much, since I saw you were in Season 3 and I'm not trying to get spoiled. I just wanted to throw my opinion out there. It's good stuff.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Welcome to the New...

wait, fuck what do we say to new POI fans. Ugh, ugh...Samaritan is watching you. No, Welcome to the Bear Club. Nah they've downplayed him recently. Watch your kneecaps? I give up.

He's TV Batman...

Yeah, I'm gonna say something controversial in that I hate Cazaviels voice for Reese. Half the time he's mumbling so low that you can't hear what the hell he's saying and as the seasons go on he's basically become a caricature of himself rarely displaying any emotional range. I prefer S1 Reese to current Reese, even though S1 Reese still had plenty of that god awful voice.

Veelk

Banned
Welcome to the New...

wait, fuck what do we say to new POI fans. Ugh, ugh...Samaritan is watching you. No, Welcome to the Bear Club. Nah they've downplayed him recently. Watch your kneecaps? I give up.

PoI uses makes it's music choices well, so you don't get as many opportunities to make forced memes out of badly put together scenes as easily...though Johnny Cash's Hurt in that one scene was a bit on the nose. Use that I guess.

I am still trying to catch up. Am 3/4 through S3.

Does Shaw ever get decent character development or a shift in personality? Outside of "she was a doctor once" she basically acts as female Reese.

Veelk

Banned
I am still trying to catch up. Am 3/4 through S3.

Does Shaw ever get decent character development or a shift in personality? Outside of "she was a doctor once" she basically acts as female Reese.

She pretty much is a female Reese, but I don't consider it a bad thing. She does interact with the cast differently however, such as Root.

Veelk

Banned
My personal favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpF00oOcucE

I'm disappointed they never used his character again to aid them in some way.

There are a lot of good moments throughout the whole series and while this may not be the best moment, I think it's the best ending. The way the criminals were wrapped up, the scene with Reese and the Judge, Reese's gratitude and Finch's beginnings of trust, and the choice of music all comes together here more perfectly than any other ending in the show.

foxtrot3d

Banned
There are a lot of good moments throughout the whole series and while this may not be the best moment, I think it's the best ending. The way the criminals were wrapped up, the scene with Reese and the Judge, Reese's gratitude and Finch's beginnings of trust, and the choice of music all comes together here more perfectly than any other ending in the show.

Yup, it rarely ever reaches the height of this ending again, so perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom