• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Persona 5 (You'll never see it coming ♪♫♬)

ehead

It has been quite a while since I posted here (mostly because of work, playtime, and other stuff). Anyway, I bought Persona 5 more than 2 weeks ago during the Big Games in Japan sale (PSN).

This is my first Persona game but not my first Shin Megami Tensei game. I tried to play SMT: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers on the 3DS a few years back but it didn't really click with me. I never got past the 2-hour mark and stopped playing. Cut to the present, I have been playing nothing but P5 for the last few weeks after work and during weekends. Pacing is fast, characters are very likable, music is on point, and the gameplay is something I expected from a turn-based JRPG and more. The stories so far are like typical anime stories I can think of - not that it's bad, it's actually good (for me). I like that the game never runs out of tension, and it just keeps pushing you forward but it is also my major concern. I feel like my control over things is limited especially when you want to do more stuff. I hate how I can't fit all my target activities because of the day cycle mechanic. I feel anxious not being able to develop my social stats regularly. Maybe I'm wrong but I just finished my second palace mission, but my social stats are all at level 2 only and most of my relations are at level 3 only. I do think the game will be opening up more but I feel like I am missing a lot because of the time mechanic. Overall, the game plays/looks/sounds great. This has become one of my favorite JRPGs. Now I understand why it is easily one of the GOTY contenders of 2017.

Vawn

Banned
Absolutely loved this game. But after my first Persona game being P4G on Vita, I feel like Persona should be a handheld series.

I ended up playing 90% of persona 5 on Vita via Remote Play. Hopefully, we get Persona 6 on Switch/PS5.

ehead

To be honest, the thought of having a mobile version of Persona 5 makes me pretty excited. This is why I'll definitely check out the next SMT game.

OH-MyCar

I agree that Persona is a franchise that's slowly becoming best for portable. I've been a loyal fan since the release of the original (with ridiculous, "y'all b buggin'" Mark) and 4 & 5 have gone off the rails into VN territory so heavily that they're extremely demanding of your time to the extent that I've still somehow not finished 5. Yakuza, Metal Gear and Xenogears are now all easier to schedule around than your modern Persona. I mean I love that about them, but that extra level of convenience is what'll keep them from sliding into someone's backlog. Golden was a step in the right direction.

5 is a goddamned masterpiece but it's just a constant battle with my free time.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yes, love both Persona and SMT series but they can be long so it’s best played portable. This why I’m very excited for SMTV for switch.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I enjoyed it so much that I actually went for the platinum trophy! Those Futaba lines were a huge pain compared with the other trophies.

Hinedorf

Banned
My first Persona game was the original on PS1. My second Persona game was Persona 5. I absolutely love this game and some of your concerns about the game are accurate. You're not going to be able to complete all goals for all people, you're going to have to decide the relationships you want to build.

When you get into the middle of the game you will start to have more freedom in your time management that does not exist early on and though you can't build every relationship, you will have plenty to build 2-3 max depending how you manage it.

Building your Stats is highly dependent on the DAY you choose to do the activities, hit the bath house when it rains for a bonus. As sort of a grinder I had a ton of money where I just lazily kept taking the burger challenge every night to build my guts. Cheat and look up the net for every question you get asked in class (this will become a routine process in your game life)

If you want to grind levels focus on making coffee which will allow you to refill your magic points. Normally the level structures will focus on a few types of elements that once you plan the counters for can really rip through levels quickly to the point the only thing holding you back will be those magic points to refill.

This game is extensively long and lots of people talk about New Game + to play more relationships. Personally I will never do more than one play through as I move on to new games frequently, it's worth the finish.

B_Signal

I've gone back to this over the past week too. It's been good to go back, I kind of wish I'd realised that Strange Journey was out tomorrow (in Europe) before I had, not sure I need both on the go and I'd already put an order in for SJ

I'm enjoying it more than I was last year, some of that is because the stupider side of the characters and story has taken a back seat, but I've also been allowed to spend time building links rather than have all my time managed.

That said things took a turn for the worse before and everyone died so I turned it off in a mood. I might got back to it tomorrow, if only to get as far as I can before I put it down and don't return for a year

Vawn

Banned
I enjoyed it so much that I actually went for the platinum trophy! Those Futaba lines were a huge pain compared with the other trophies.

I have 131 platinums and getting Persona 5 was the straw that made me realize how much a detrement they can be to my enjoyment.

I played the first time blind not worrying about trophies. I loved it. Then I followed a guide to unlock all trophies. What a tedious chore that made my overall view of the game go down. I wish I could go back and not do that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have 131 platinums and getting Persona 5 was the straw that made me realize how much a detrement they can be to my enjoyment.

I played the first time blind not worrying about trophies. I loved it. Then I followed a guide to unlock all trophies. What a tedious chore that made my overall view of the game go down. I wish I could go back and not do that.
Yeah, following the guid for this game will just suck out all the fun out it. I played Persona 5 multiple times and I have 91% for trophies but I never really bothered try to get platinum and don't care I ever get that platinum trophy.

One think I'm surprised is how many people having hard time with Futaba trophy. I got that one in my natural playthrough of the game, same thing with Rise trophy in Persona 4 Golden.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Yeah, following the guid for this game will just suck out all the fun out it. I played Persona 5 multiple times and I have 91% for trophies but I never really bothered try to get platinum and don't care I ever get that platinum trophy.

One think I'm surprised is how many people having hard time with Futaba trophy. I got that one in my natural playthrough of the game, same thing with Rise trophy in Persona 4 Golden.

Yeah, I got both of those naturally as well.

kunonabi

Due to the return of classic mechanics, proper dungeons, and the best cast since 2 Persona 5 has become my favorite Persona game post P2: EP. The "true villain" was still painfully uninteresting and unnecessary but the modern entries dont seem interested in ever really improving on that so whatever.

Top Bottom