• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP Pokemon Let's Go.

Fbh

The cool thing about the Switch keeping save data on the console as opposed to the game card is that you can borrow Pokemon from a friend without having to erase their save file. Which is exactly what I did with Pokemon Let's go

Yyp4qAI7G_1256x620__1.jpg

I was definitely disappointed when this was announced. Not because anything about it looked particularly bad but simply because we'd have to wait another year for a legit main entry, and this casual remake of an already casual friendly game was all we were getting for the first 2 years of the Switch.

Overall though, I have to say it was a fun nostalgia trip and I didn't end up minding many of the more simplified mechanics. I'm glad I didn't buy it though, as some elements haven't really aged that well and overall it feels like they could have done more with this for a full $60 game.

I guess my 4 main takeaways would be:

- The capturing instead of fighting with wild pokemon wasn't bad, and no random encounters is great.
It was fun playing one of these games without having to constantly stock up on repels and overall I didn't miss fighting wild Pokemon. I think with all the trainer battles there's enough fighting anyway and seeing the pokemon actually pop up in the world made it all feel more alive. The only thing that didn't work very well was the joycon motion controls so when I was trying to capture a rare Pokemon I'd stick with handheld mode.

- Are battles in the more recent games still as slow as this?
I don't remember if the original games were the same but battles felt a bit too long and the game loves to tell me obvious or unnecessary stuff. It's never something that takes up a lot of time but a few seconds here and there start adding up and by the end I was actively avoiding random trainers. Like the whole sequence from when you initiate a battle until you are able to actually play could be cut in half with just a faster animation of both people throwing out their pokemon at the same time. Or they could let me disabale the message that lets me know my pokemon is suffering from a specific status condition every single turn (since there's very clear visual indicators) . Or if several Pokemon get the same amount of experience they could have one message saying "X, Y and Z each get 250xp" instead of a separate message for each one.

pokemon_lets_go_7_review.jpg

Do we need this freaking intro in every single battle? I get it for gym leaders or special battles, but all 4000 bug catchers and ace trainers? Is it a loading thing?

- For $60 this could have been more:
Nothing about it was particularly bad but for a full retail priced remake in 2018 it did feel a bit basic. It's still the usual top down view and it's mostly going for that HD 3DS game looks. And despite being a game with no voice acting and only the original 151 Pokemon we still only get some sort of remastered gameboy screeches for everyone but Pikachu and Evee

- The OST was neat:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing this the past 10 days or so as well and I'm really enjoying it. I bought it initially as I had surgery (torn bicep tend) on my left arm and needed something I could play one-handed for a bit. I've liked this enough that I've kept playing it even after being able to use my left hand again (had 5 days or so were that hurt, now it's just awkward from the brace).

I'm close to finishing up the main story, saved last night right before starting to fight the Elite 4 as it was getting late. Overall I liked it a lot more than I expected. Despite being 40 and thus the right age to have gotten into Pokemon back in the Gameboy era, I just never played it. I'd only played Pokemon Y and a little Pokemon Go (catching only, never bothered with gym fights, raids etc.). As a casual player, I've really enjoyed this as a nice, easy, charming and relaxing experience. Something I was really in the mode for as I recover from surgery and don't want to play anything intense. That said, I am like 37ish hours in as I've been taking my time and I'm kind of at that point that I'll be glad to finish it up later today and move on to something else. I don't think I'll bother with the end game stuff or hunting shinies or whatever as that stuff bores me. I got it for $45 or so off Amazon for the Pikachu edition so I should be able to sell it off and not be out much. That said, with it being in the upper 30 hours played I would have more than gotten my money's worth even if I had bought for $60.

Codes 208

It definitely seemed more like a stepping stone than a full on game. (But a lot of that may just be that its a remake of yellow, had it been a remake of a newer gen with more content than that’d be another story)

That said it did add things that ive always wanted and even one im glad is returning to S/S (namely random battles being replaced with pokemon showing up in the overworld.)

That said, while ill take this over the original r/b/y if not just for feeling more modern, for remakes i preferred fr/lg

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That said it did add things that ive always wanted and even one im glad is returning to S/S (namely random battles being replaced with pokemon showing up in the overworld.)

I'm pretty sure Sword/Shield is a mix of Pokemon showing up and random battles (think it varies by where you are in the game world).

Codes 208

I'm pretty sure Sword/Shield is a mix of Pokemon showing up and random battles (think it varies by where you are in the game world).
There are random battles but those are called action battles (or something like that) basically the random battles are only instigated via an exclamation mark which you can choose to intercept

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this up tonight. Got the credits, went to the power plant I’d missed before and caught some new Pokémon there and the legendary one, and got the legendary one I missed in Victory Road. I went to the forrest to do the Pikachu master fight mentioned after the credits and won that and saw it just gives you a title for MP battles, so no interest in doing more of those. Blue kicked my ass as I’m a bit underleveled, so I’m done. No desire to catch more Pokémon or level up for the Red, Blue, Green fights.

Overall a solid 8/10 game and I put just at 40 hours in since starting it on the 8th. Got my money’s worth and will sell it on Amazon and move on to some other recent purchases.

Fbh

Finished this up tonight. Got the credits, went to the power plant I’d missed before and caught some new Pokémon there and the legendary one, and got the legendary one I missed in Victory Road. I went to the forrest to do the Pikachu master fight mentioned after the credits and won that and saw it just gives you a title for MP battles, so no interest in doing more of those. Blue kicked my ass as I’m a bit underleveled, so I’m done. No desire to catch more Pokémon or level up for the Red, Blue, Green fights.

Overall a solid 8/10 game and I put just at 40 hours in since starting it on the 8th. Got my money’s worth and will sell it on Amazon and move on to some other recent purchases.

Did you go catch Mewtwo? There's a fun bonus to that part that wasn't in the original

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Did you go catch Mewtwo? There's a fun bonus to that part that wasn't in the original

Yep. I got him before doing the other stuff I mentioned. Forgot to list that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom