• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld: Modders and Devs show evidence that the game copies Pokémon (Up: evidence faked, confirmed as hoax)

Draugoth

Gold Member
Update: It has been confirmed that the "evidence"has been doctored

I didn't see this posted here, but apparently this guy from the op was lying!!

TbSItjE.png

palworld-pokemon-e1705928934565-1024x579.jpg

The accusations against Palworld took another turn on Sunday, when an anonymous X account appeared claiming to show evidence of not just design inspiration, but plagiarism of actual game assets. User ‘Byo’ posted several videos comparing Palworld’s in-game 3D models to those of Pokémon, and claimed to show evidence that they were likely copied.

While none of the half-dozen models compared by the X user appear to be 1:1 copies, they claimed that their proportions were nearly identical to Pokémon models exported from Switch’s Scarlet and Violet games.

According to two experienced AAA game artists who spoke to VGC, the model comparisons on X are likely evidence that Palworld’s character models were indeed based on Pokémon assets.

“You cannot, in any way, accidentally get the same proportions on multiple models from another game without ripping the models. Or at the very least, tracing them meticulously first,” one senior character artist told VGC anonymously, adding: “I would stand in court to testify as an expert on this.” They explained: “To give you an idea of how impossible this is, sometimes we have to copy one mesh to another when we make sequels to games, for example, redrawing an NPC from one game to another, and even when we rework those old models, they only SOMETIMES match this closely due to rigging changes that might need to happen. “There have been times when dozens of artists are given the same concept art to create a 3D model, for example, during art tests for jobs. I’ve seen 30 artists try to make the same horse using the exact schematics. “None were as close to each other as these Palworld models are to the Pokémon models. None. The silhouettes and proportions here are near-perfect matches.”

Text via VGC

Last edited:

skyfall

Apparently Nintendo own the right to furry creatures. There’s really only a small number of things you can do to make a cat like thing. The models have completely different parts when put together, and yea some parts Mach so what, that’s just going to happen with a limited design spec

nbcjr

Apparently Nintendo own the right to furry creatures. There’s really only a small number of things you can do to make a cat like thing. The models have completely different parts when put together, and yea some parts Mach so what, that’s just going to happen with a limited design spec
Have you read the tweet? The meshes are 1:1,this is impossible without copying directly.

Saber

Gold Member
Who needs lawyers or detectives when they have soycuks ready to defend 24/6 poor innocent companies? The lenghts they go to prove this is a copy is really admirable(to the point of illegaly extracting models from a rom), the true show of patriotism. They could use this effort to demand better Pokemon games though.

Last edited:

Fake

No way. Are you sure? I mean, maybe double check before getting into this conclusion.

Man, pkmn fans are having a hard time I gonna tell you lmao.

Last edited:

Osaka_Boss

Is this Company in a free country or in China? Oh... Pocketpair is in Japan... Right next to Nintendo.... Well, Nintendo is going to sue someone Very hard

diffusionx

Gold Member
If Nintendo thought they would have a case even when the early trailers were released, they would have acquired a cease and desist from the courts.
Nintendo knows they can't go after "game with pretend animal-like companions." They can go after games that use Nintendo IP and assets.

nowhat

If Nintendo thought they would have a case even when the early trailers were released, they would have acquired a cease and desist from the courts.
This is not a fan project. Better hit them when there are sales (and by all accounts there are a ton), makes easier to make the case for damages.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I just saw a thread about how to improve Pokemon... I had the idea of using a sandbox from the 90s anime series with Ash, Misty and Brock, but what a coincidence that this game arrived with the Mods xD

Guilty_AI

Who needs lawyers or detectives when they have soycuks ready to defend 24/6 poor innocent companies? The lenghts they go to prove this is a copy is really admirable(to the point of illegaly extracting models from a rom), the true show of patriotism. They could use this effort to demand better Pokemon games though.
would be funny if nintendo ended up suing this twitter user instead of pocketpair

Top Bottom