• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Prey (2017) - This game might be a masterpiece. I don't know.

I saw this game when it come out. Didn't look into much. I thought it was just a shooter, another high budget one that would not be worth playing.

Game went on sale a number of times. It was on sale for $5~ recently. I tried the demo and quit the game when I was inside a test chamber. My early thoughts about the game seemed correct. Another game holding my hand and making me sit through a tutorial or cutscene.

I was looking for a new game after Ion Fury. I remembered Prey. Searched for some footage to remind myself. Landed on a speedrun video and that was the moment I needed to try again.

The cutscene/tutorial could all be skipped because you can jump right through the roof of the bathroom. I tried doing it myself but ended up having to copy the speedrun in using the stool to get out of the room.

No, I will not put on the Transtar uniform.

After that moment, I bought the game and didn't stop playing during waking hours. My finished playtime was 35 hours on the hardest difficulty with all variables enabled. The only related game I have played through is Bioshock Infinite which I did wrong because I didn't buy weapon upgrades throughout the course of the game nearly at all. I think my Resident Evil skills carried over. I conserved too much by the end of the game which caused many deaths on the way.

The hacking minigame is completely pointless. It would improve the game if removed.

There are no cutscenes until the end of the game. I hate Half Life. I hate Half Life 2. Stuck in a room while characters say nothing is not good. This felt different. It was good content and I was not forced.

I turned off HUD for directions. I went through the station, ignoring any objectives. I went to locations before they came at the end of the game. There were many hidden routes that got past doors or enemies that made me feel bad for missing. The game world felt like a real design, but I never could mindmap some parts of the world. I think loading screens ruined it all too.

The enemies were always a threat. I started not fighting but at the end I would unload ammo until they died. Other ways did not seem that good. I did not put any points into psychic powers, I wanted to remain human and stick with my stealth/hacker/repair character with turrets. I feel like I did fighting wrong. At the end I would avoid again because running out of ammo and more difficult enemies.

I hate looting games. This is a carrot on a stick to make you feel good, and kill more enemies. I did not stop searching because there was always notes with codes or audio logs/keycards. This will damage replay value for me. But some items are placed in a way that it will make me plan an efficient route to beat the game fast. I like this.

There are other times where notes/emails would provide hints to find things or skip things. Small details I noticed was the email you read with your characters Psych Evaluation will change if you take the test in-game.

That's the game side of things. The setting was very good. Story does not matter, but at the end I did care about what things I did. I tried to rescue everyone and deal justice if needed.

And then the ending.

So the entire game was a test of your character. What does a person choose to do when they do not know they are being watched?

When I sent the audio with my character being evil to the womans father, I thought hard about it and thought it was good to admit the guilt, I did not know I was being watched. This touched me I think.

I do not think they said anything bad about my actions at the end that I noticed. I did my best to be human and then shook the hand. I'll never forget that. "It was all a dream" is used too much, but it worked here.

Is it a good game? I don't think I will enjoy the areas that much next time. Some areas I did not like as you get further. Spending time picking up things is not good for me. It seems slow and everywhere.

But anyway, I enjoyed my time a lot. I would say I am a new fan to the genre. I have tried Deus Ex Human Revolution more than one time and quit after the first mission. I hate dialogue, with options too, in the way that game presents it. But I might be able to get past that now.

So I'm making a todo list of games that might be similar.
System Shock
Deus Ex

I have seen (but not the same I think);
Bioshock
Dishonored
Metroid Prime 2 (wtf)(I have tried many times and do not find good)

But anyway just a ramble with my thoughts trying to layout the elements of the game. The lady in the hallway outside my room kept doing those repairs until the very end. She never stops if you skip the intro. A very amusing detail. I think the skip is by design.

I don't know how something so good, that should've been mainstream has went under the radar. But then I guess games people talk highly of like Deus Ex were never big sellers at release. It's a shame there will be no Prey 2. It's hard to see much talk about the game, so that's why I'm posting this reminder.

Otterz4Life

Prey might be my favorite game of this gen. Took me completely by surprise. Played the demo about a week before launch and knew I had to buy it.

Hit all the right notes for me as I’m also a huge Deus Ex fan. Recycling materials to craft what you want, including neuromods, gave you a real sense of control in the game and made exploring and killing things worthwhile.

Yeah, it's really fucking good and a shame it didn't get more attention.

I think what sank the game though sadly was some unnecessary "SJW" flavoring, starting with the weird looking character designs and a few other small things in the game, it's nothing major but something I noticed and I think it kept a lot of gamers away, get woke, go broke as they say.

Pidull

This has gotta be the hundredth LTTP I have seen for this game. Damn shame it didn't get this love at launch (wtf reviewers?).

Last edited:

Ywap

It´s Arkane after all. Everything they do is golden.

I wish Bethesda had let them do Prey 2 or Dishonored 3 instead of forcing them to help Machinegames with a co-op game. Still, i´m happy they let me enjoy the masterful Arkane level design in a Wolfenstein game.

Greatest studio ever imo :)

Last edited:

RPS37

Got it for super cheap the other day. Played the demo. Wasn’t that impressed but still pumped to try it for real.

joe_zazen

It´s Arkane after all. Everything they do is golden.

I wish Bethesda had let them do Prey 2 or Dishonored 3 instead of forcing them to help Machinegames with a co-op game. Still, i´m happy they let me enjoy the masterful Arkane level design in a Wolfenstein game.

Greatest studio ever imo :)

They were until Beth fired the two main Arkane guys after d2 and prey failed to live up to their expectations. Too bad Arkane let themselves get caught in the bethesda venus flytrap. https://geekbravado.com/2013/06/04/bethesdas-shady-business-isnt-unusual/

Last edited:
One of my favorite games this gen, hands down. It definitely has some rough edges, but the game makes up for it in other places..

I really enjoyed the story in that it struck the perfect balance between giving the player choice in how much side story/lore you want to get into without making that stuff necessary to enjoy the main story. BTW the alternate history stuff with JFK/space program was great.

The upgrade/skill tree was legit. I never felt like I screwed myself over after putting points into a new ability.

Collecting shit is useful and encourages exploration. Even if something seemed useless the recycle machine turned doo doo into gold. I think this was a smart design choice.

From what I've heard, the game wasn't a huge seller, but god damnit Bethesda, if you gave us a sequel to Rage you gotta hook us up with Prey 2: Electric Boogaloo

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It’s a great game, I wish more shooters were like it. The only flaws I thought were the enemy types became redundant and some of the outside the ship stuff got annoying and unnecessary,

Fenris Wolf

I love this game. When it released i bought it on PS4 but couldn't connect with the game. After a few month i gave it another try and this time i bought it on PC. And damn... It was, Is and Probably will be one of the best games i have ever played. The musics (Specially the "Mind Games" "Everything is going to be okay" and "Human Elements") are freaking amazing. I loved the story and it's twist. The metroidvania style was perfectly executed IMO and i can't wait for a sequel. IMO this was better than the original "Prey 2" since that game looked super generic to my eyes.

BTW the alternate history stuff with JFK/space program was great.

I loved all that as well.

And what's interesting is Prey didn't go the typical retro futuristic route with it with intentionally anachronistic technology like Fallout, all the technology was futuristic, but the aesthetic of everything had a retro tinged style, it was very clever and well thought out.

Virex

Banned
Prey was really awesome. And Chris Avellone with the writing(he wasn't the only writer) and his design made it even better. It was really a great experience

Last edited:

GHG

Will echo what others have said, easily one of my favourite games of the generation if not my absolute favourite.

A well realised game world where you have a ton of creative freedom in terms of how you go about traversing the spaceship and dealing with enemies.

It's one of those systems heavy games where if you can think it you can most likely do it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Great game, super underrated that year. Far from a masterpiece, though. I hope they expand and improve on it.

tassletine

It's great. For some reason there are games that everyone takes against on release for stupid reasons.

The demo was boring and nothing original was shown. My thoughts at the time were "Why do I want to play a game that feels like it was made 10 years ago".

Now that might be what some people want, and the game might well be great, but if you can't show what's exciting or original in a demo, then you're doomed.

I'm doing my first playthrough right now. 22 hours in and I still enjoy it so much. This game keeps surprising me. Just arrived in Cargo Bay. I try to do all the side quests as well.

The only issue I have with the game is the sound problems. Can be very annoying at times. Random volume changes, and sometimes the sound simply cuts off. A shame, because I really dig the sound effects and the music.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Arkane knows what they're doing. I recommend Dishonored series, too. And Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (on PC, if possible).

Spaceman292

Banned
The demo was boring and nothing original was shown. My thoughts at the time were "Why do I want to play a game that feels like it was made 10 years ago".

Now that might be what some people want, and the game might well be great, but if you can't show what's exciting or original in a demo, then you're doomed.
The breaking glass moment was pretty original. A

ROMhack

It has really nice typography.

I got bored of the game though and gave up. Felt too long and aimless, although I have heard it comes together in the end.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Loved the System Shock 2 design and the persistent world.

You can recycle background objects like furniture and other stuff laying around for materials. And these don't magically re-spawn. I had so much fun piling up chairs, tables, destroyed robots, lamps, decorative stuff, etc, and using the recycle bomb on them. I literally emptied whole rooms of furniture and decorations, making them look like unfinished, bland areas in the end :D

You can also move items, drop items and they will stay there, even if you load another area and come back. Which is useful if you set up sentry guns around the whole map. This world persistence is my favorite thing about this game, though it's not perfect. Sometimes stuff is moved around a tiny bit and there is some jankiness to the physics but most of the time it works really well.

If i recall correctly all npcs are named right? Every corpse has a name and a backstory. Sometimes you hear/read something about an npc and hours later you find their dead body.

Amazing game. I need to replay it someday.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I wouldn't say it is a masterpiece as there are some glaring issues with the game and its pacing at parts - but I would be a liar if I said I didn't greatly enjoy the time I spent earning the platinum trophy. The multitude of ways to play through the game, the unique and interesting mechanics it introduces, and the fun and varied movepool you can unlock - all of it helped cement Prey as a fantastic game for the generation and one that definitely surpasses the original.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So I'm making a todo list of games that might be similar.
System Shock

Its not just similar. Prey 2017 was originally going to be System Shock 3. You need to play System Shock 2 asap.

So today I tried;
Deus Ex Human Revolution - same problems as before. This game feels on rails and doing nothing during dialogue gets tiresome. I can see there are options, crawling in the vents, stealth attacks, kills, and different weapon types but it doesn't quite feel right. It's that question of, "would I really want to play this again?". Still need to try the first game again, from which I remember was a ton better.

STALKER SOC - Seems more like Fallout, which I'm not a fan of.

System Shock 2 - This seems to be going somewhere. I'm in control. Mind mapping a space station and there are monkeys with laser beams firing at me, right now. Playing on Impossible difficulty because I have to.

Dishonored - Bought but not yet tried. Similar game elements, same developer etc. Maybe.

Sub_Level

System Shock 2 - This seems to be going somewhere. I'm in control. Mind mapping a space station and there are monkeys with laser beams firing at me, right now. Playing on Impossible difficulty because I have to.

The monkeys have a weird hitbox if you use the wrench. You need to aim a little above them to hit them consistently.

And don't worry they are pretty much just in that one level.

Deus Ex Human Revolution - same problems as before. This game feels on rails and doing nothing during dialogue gets tiresome. I can see there are options, crawling in the vents, stealth attacks, kills, and different weapon types but it doesn't quite feel right. It's that question of, "would I really want to play this again?". Still need to try the first game again, from which I remember was a ton better.
About how far did you get? The first hour or two of the game is easily the worst. It really starts to get going after the police station - that's when you start to get a better grip on the systems/augments and things start opening up.

Some mechanics are uninspiring, especially when it puts a player in an FPS circumstance and downplays shooting. But its environment as a sci-fi “haunted house” is top notch. Not crazy about the ending, but it’s not an embarrassment like other games.

zcaa0g

Banned
Not enough enemy variety was a big problem for me. The cliche military unit cleanup crew there to take out the aliens and everything that got in their way would have helped a lot.

Fbh

I still have it on my to buy list. It was like $5 the other day on Steam and I was going to buy it but then sort of just forgot about it.

loved the game, but thought that there was way too much combat. the game didn't need really need it, & it eventually just became tedious/tiresome...

About how far did you get? The first hour or two of the game is easily the worst. It really starts to get going after the police station - that's when you start to get a better grip on the systems/augments and things start opening up.

There's the tutorial and then the first mission. I've gotten to the end of the first mission more than once and just stop right there. I know it kind of opens up, I've seen the game structure explained before, mission then hub. But it all felt a little off. It's so on rails through a bunch of setpiece boxes with encounters. I want to like it, but there's always that one thing that ticks me off. That and talking to NPCs, and with dialogue options. I hate it. No harm done, I've owned the game for years.

System Shock 2 is proving to be so much better, up my alley. I guess the love for Prey comes from almost survival horror aspects. However I got stuck in the game. Turns out if you install the graphics pack, some buttons disappear off the walls so I end up stuck in a room with no way to use the lift to get out. Need to install the graphics pack and start a brand new game to avoid it.

I wish there was the option to not bump a thread.

Man these headcrabs are really fucking boring.
I enjoy the freedom to explore but I hate the art style. Does anyone actually like this Alien-4-meets-BioShock look? Not looking forward to spending a lot of time in this location...
The GLOO gun is kind of annoying: why aren't the balls sticking to each other? There's no actual thinking involved, you just build a shitty Mario level to bing bing wahoo your way up a balcony.

Speaking of BioShock - I guess it had the right idea when it went full retard with the action, after all. I'd rather have the same Prey but with 700% more enemies and weapons. It's not like going through a vent OR a door is a miracle of level design. I was more bamboozled by Quake the other day, while Prey just feels like Yet Another Immersive Sim. A decade ago I thought I wanted more of this genre. Now I realise Dishonored 2, Deus Ex: Mountain Dew and Prey bombed because they're the same fucking game over and over again. Is it even a genre, or are they all copying each other with a new coat of paint?!

Sub_Level

Not enough enemy variety was a big problem for me. The cliche military unit cleanup crew there to take out the aliens and everything that got in their way would have helped a lot.

For me, the actual game design variety of the enemies worked. Its just that VISUALLY they are the exact same black goo.

A game like System Shock 2 had much more visual variety. More color.

ajim

I really really tried to enjoy this game, but i just couldn't. Something about it just made it seem like a chore.

loved the game, but thought that there was way too much combat. the game didn't need really need it, & it eventually just became tedious/tiresome...

I have a lot of fun exploring with the possibilities. Stealth kills, Typhon powers, the different weapons and throwables.

STALKER SOC - Seems more like Fallout, which I'm not a fan of.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl is more reminiscent of Fallout because of its more open environment, with some aspects from video games like System Shock 2 and its ilk of spiritual successors. But Shadow of Chernobyl is a very different video game, there are many, many layers of depth that you carefully peel one at a time as you progress, if you can figure out the fact that these layers of depth exist, it's not so simple with this game.

For example, there are a number of underlying mechanics that influence the gunplay for which you need to adjust, keep in check and learn to take advantage:
  • Default Gun Accuracy
  • Ammo type
  • Stance
  • Gun Condition
  • Varied damage multipliers based on specific body parts
  • Aiming through iron sights raises accuracy
  • Reduction of accuracy on rapid fire - meant to simulate recoil.
Early guns and sawn-off shotguns are low-tier inaccurate garbage with a 50 meter limit to their range, it's a rough start that push players to question if something is wrong with how the gunplay was designed. Which i think is the reason why many people are overwhelmed initially by the fact that the gunplay isn't something that they're accustomed for, and they're unable to muster the motivation to properly learn the set of intricate design that went into it. So they utterly dismiss it and find excuses. There's a reason for the design, and it's brilliant.

And this example encompasses only one single aspect - the gunplay. Now imagine the layers of depth that went into the rest of the game.

highrider

Banned
I thought Prey was really high quality throughout the time I played it. I think we all have a certain tolerance for puzzles and environmental exploration and I knew going in that combat wasn’t center stage necessarily. After the first few hours of marveling at the detail of the station it eventually became kind of tedious for me. It wasn’t helped by enemy design. It felt like the half life head crab game for pretty long stretches. And to be fair I’m more action oriented in my personal taste. Thought it was really well done though if you like exploration and story being more central to the game. I just want more guns and freaky creatures to shoot man lol. It’s so cheap I’d recommend anyone give it a go, even just the half I played was worthwhile even if it ultimately wasn’t my thing.

Last edited:

Ellery

Criminally underrated game. It is awesome. One of the few games where I played 100% and listen/read to every single thing in the game and explored like a mad man

Verchod

I loved the game. I'd done nearly 100 hours by the time is finished it. I just wish the enemy's were more varied. I actually liked the mimics more than the phantoms etc. They should of done more with them, maybe mimic humans.
I had restarted playing it since the update last year, with the added difficulty of different types of damage etc.
Need more...

Top Bottom