• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: PW: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies / Should I play the DLC case first?

Hey AceAttorneyGAF, my fiancée and I are huge Ace Attorney fans and we're finally going to play Dual Destinies pretty soon (I would have rather played it back when it came out, but she's in grad school and that rather gets in the way of gaming time for her).

My question to you is, should we play the DLC case before the main game? I understand that it's
Phoenix's first case after becoming a lawyer again and happens before any of the cases in the main game
, so it seems like playing it first would make sense... or is it one of those instances where things in the main game are given more context in the DLC case? Or are the two completely unrelated and it doesn't matter?

We're both Ace Attorney veterans (devoured the original trilogy and sadly lost interest in Apollo Justice halfway into the second case, so we're just using a FAQ to speed through the rest of it for the story), so difficulty scaling is not a concern.

Thanks!

L~A

Hmm... not necessarily. This case is pretty much self-contained (as far as I can remember), so I don't think it matters when you play it.

You can play it first if you like playing it in the chronological order, or last if you want to keep it as an extra. The fact that it was released as DLC shows it doesn't contain any critical plot stuff.

KNT-Zero

If you are concerned about how this is developed after what happened in AA4, don't worry because Phoenix in AA5 acts almost as if AA4 never happened.

The DLC case uses Phoenix's first case after getting disbarred, but only as a story treat for fans of the series. Actually it doesn't add much story wise, aside from being an entertaining case.

RiggyRob

Hey AceAttorneyGAF, my fiancée and I are huge Ace Attorney fans and we're finally going to play Dual Destinies pretty soon (I would have rather played it back when it came out, but she's in grad school and that rather gets in the way of gaming time for her).

My question to you is, should we play the DLC case before the main game? I understand that it's
Phoenix's first case after becoming a lawyer again and happens before any of the cases in the main game
, so it seems like playing it first would make sense... or is it one of those instances where things in the main game are given more context in the DLC case? Or are the two completely unrelated and it doesn't matter?

We're both Ace Attorney veterans (devoured the original trilogy and sadly lost interest in Apollo Justice halfway into the second case, so we're just using a FAQ to speed through the rest of it for the story), so difficulty scaling is not a concern.

Thanks!

It mentions in Case 5 that
Apollo and Athena met Pearl 'a few months ago', which means that the DLC case is after Case 2 but before Case 3 chronologically.

MrBadger

I left it until after beating the main game and it felt natural. It's pretty self contained and anything that is introduced in it is explained in the main game anyway.

This is true by the way. Chronologically case order is
2>DLC>3>4>1>5
if I'm remembering right.

Pretty much this, except
case 1 is set halfway through case 4

JediLink

Pretty much just parroting at this point, but it doesn't matter. Play it whenever you want.

This probably isn't what you want to be doing. Apollo Justice's gameplay is (mostly) fine; the story and characters is where it falls apart. If you're really that turned off by it, you may as well try to enjoy the game where you can, or else just ignore it. Dual Destinies doesn't really pick up from Apollo Justice in any meaningful way other than "Oh hey, Phoenix has his badge again, here are these wacky characters Apollo and Trucy that you should already know".

The plot points that
Apollo and Trucy are half-siblings
and
the law is supposed to be switching over to a jury system
are completely ignored as if they didn't even happen.

Thanks all! We'll just play it after the main game, then.

The plot points that
Apollo and Trucy are half-siblings
and
the law is supposed to be switching over to a jury system
are completely ignored as if they didn't even happen.

That's... disappointing. I remember hearing that
Kristoph's unbreakable black psyche-locks
were also left a mystery and not addressed in Dual Destinies either. I wonder if they'll ever get back to all these things in whatever game comes after the spin-off they're making now.

MrBadger

were also left a mystery and not addressed in Dual Destinies either. I wonder if they'll ever get back to all these things in whatever game comes after the spin-off they're making now.

I believe the reason is that Takumi set up all the plot points about
Apollo's family and Kristoph's psyche locks (which I don't think needs resolving tbh, they probably broke when Apollo exposed him in court)
and the new writer doesn't want to do anything with them in case Takumi comes back to the series and has plans himself.

JediLink

Oh yeah, that was actually worse than ignored; it was retconned.

Top Bottom