• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles

Neiteio

Well, this game is great! :)

I ended up picking up Darkside Chronicles HD and Umbrella Chronicles HD on PS3 in order to scratch my maddening itch for more Resident Evil.

I've only played Darkside Chronicles so far. I just completed the RE2 scenario, and I must say, I'm enjoying the hell out of it! I'm not normally a fan of light-gun games, but this feels a lot more involving than what I play in arcades like Dave & Buster's.

How I'm playing:

I'm playing with the DS3 since I don't have a Move. I'm happy to report the cursor flies across the screen with speed and precision. Very smooth to control! There's a bit of auto-aim (which I believe can be toggled off), which snaps to center mass of most targets. It works well and isn't overly clingy.

How it controls:

You aim with the right stick or left stick, shoot with R1, reload with Square, pick up items (such as ammo, herbs and emblems) with X, heal with L1, knife with R2 plus the stick, and toggle between weapons with the D-Pad. You assign the weapons yourself and upgrade them with the money you earn. To reassign weapons, you pause and go into the Status screen. If an enemy grabs you, you can twirl the sticks or shake the controller to kick them off.

There's no accuracy rating, so feel free to shoot everything. Your handgun has infinite ammo, and the environments have many destructible elements that reveal treasure. You can find hidden files, and there are unlockable figures in a model viewer as incentive to do well — you're ranked based on enemies routed, time cleared, etc.

Setting and scenario:

The game opens up with Leon and Krauser on their first mission together in 2002. They're tracking down a drug lord in South America. This serves as a framing device where Leon tells Krauser about the events of RE2 and Code Veronica. If you're looking forward to the remake of RE2, this might help tide you over, since the settings and BOWs look great here (Chief Irons, Mr. X, the giant alligator, all five forms of William Birkin, etc).

The gameplay experience:

The game has great atmosphere, with ambient lighting and rich attention to detail in the environments. The first-person view has the cinematic "shaky cam" effect, which makes you feel like you're there. It might bother some, but I like it; it's not overdone like Cloverfield or anything.

Some scenes have a bit too much motion blur, but they're infrequent. Missions are briskly paced, but they don't throw too much at you at once. There are moments to breathe and take in the detail. You don't always have to kill everything; sometimes you'll push past the enemies. There are also branching paths here and there, which is another reason to revisit levels, in addition to earning more money to level up your weapons and stocking up on supplies. (I had to do this to beat Birkin's fourth form.)

Oh, and there's two-player. Looks like you just hit Start to drop in. I'd like to try this the next time I have a friend over. I wonder if it increases the number of enemies? Also, you choose between two characters for each scenario (Leon and Krauser, Leon and Claire, or Claire and Steve), but you see the other character as you move along, and you talk to them. I wonder if Player 2 is supposed to be controlling the other character?

In conclusion:

At any rate, this game is great. It's a well-paced, pick-up-and-play shooter with great feedback, pacing and variety, in destructive environments with great detail, and tons of cool creatures to kill. It's easy to replay your favorite chapters. There are three difficulty levels available from the start; I'm playing on the middle one, Normal, and I think it's just right so far. Hopefully there aren't any sudden difficulty spikes.

I'm interested to try Umbrella Chronicles afterward. I know that one came out first, so I'm playing them in reverse order, but that's OK. I hear it's a bit different in terms of pacing, and that it covers the events of RE0, RE1 and RE3, plus a new chapter where Chris and Jill take down Umbrella's last stronghold in Russia. Should be interesting!

Neff

Both great games, but even though DC has the edge with settings imo, UC plays better and doesn't have excessive shaky-cam.

Also it's worth investing in a Move. There's some great rail shooters on PS3 besides the Chronicles games.

lame gag

Banned
The "head bobbing" is really annoying. I struggle to aim. If it was my own head doing the bobbing, I could adjust my aim because I'm aware of how I'm moving. Compared to Time Crisis for example, you don't have to put up with that kind of crap and it's a better experience because of that. Other than that, UC/DC are really good.

Neiteio

Both great games, but even though DC has the edge with settings imo, UC plays better and doesn't have excessive shaky-cam.

Also it's worth investing in a Move. There's some great rail shooters on PS3 besides the Chronicles games.
One concern I have is the glowing bulb reflecting off my TV. Unlike my DS4, I don't think black tape would work here...

Kinsei

Banned
I'm glad you're enjoying it. Umbrella Chronicles is actually the reason I got the Wii Zapper, and I got enough play time out of the two games that the purchase was definitely worth it. I really want RE4, 5, & 6 rail shooter in the lead up to RE7.

The shaky cam didn't bother me my first time through the game, but when I ended up replaying a level and missing the S rank by one or two head shots because of it I was certainly annoyed.

While I do like the increased number of levels dedicated to the games (RE0, 1, and 3 all get 3 levels each in Umbrella Chronicles) I missed the new story content taking place during those games. I was really looking forward to a Wesker level or two during the CV section like the RE0 and RE1 sections of Umbrella Chronicles but it never happened.

Despite my very small gripes with Darkside Chronicles it's one of my favorite rail shooters.

Nice to see another convert to the real RE games.

This is good advice. A move and camera can be obtained pretty cheap and even if you just use it for the RE games, Dead Space Extraction and House of the Dead Overkill you'll get your monies worth out of it. Then grab a navigator and play Okami.

I've had this (and Umbrella Chronicles) on my PS3 for a couple of years, but have never got around to playing them. I intend to, if I ever set the console back up,

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Umbrella Chronicles is actually the reason I got the Wii Zapper, and I got enough play time out of the two games that the purchase was definitely worth it. I really want RE4, 5, & 6 rail shooter in the lead up to RE7.

I got the Sharpshooter for PS Move on my console to play with the House of the Dead games, and it made them feel a lot more fun (and arguably more silly). Definitely a fan of this kind of OTT nonsense, for the right price.

Neff

This is good advice. A move and camera can be obtained pretty cheap and even if you just use it for the RE games, Dead Space Extraction and House of the Dead Overkill you'll get your monies worth out of it. Then grab a navigator and play Okami.

I would also recommend HotD3&4, and Deadstorm Pirates, which is fantastic.

I didn't know Ōkami worked with the Move.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Did they tweak/lessen the Cloverfield shaky-cam bullshit for the HD port? That was my one big fault with the original Wii version.

Mr_Zombie

The Darkside Chronicles put a little too much effort on the "experience" aspect of the game: a lot of cut-scenes and scripted sequences, shaky cam, scenes where you are not supposed to shoot enemies (because the game decided that you should run away from them), scripted boss fights where, even if you drain boss' health, you still fight it until a certain sequence happens (happened to me during the first fight with Birkin - he had 0 health and yet still was beating me with a rusty pipe; I thought the game is bugged or something but instead the game simply wanted me to experience the whole scripted sequence that ended with Birkin's "death") etc. It's a fine game with really huge production values for a rail-shooter, but dunno if I would want to actually play through it again.

I really liked the Code Veronica scenario in Darkside Chronicles, have fun with that.

I feel like Darksice Chronicles is better than UC but it's been so long since I played either that I can't remember why. Still, UC ain't bad either. Has some interesting bonus levels.

Neiteio

Looking at Amazon, a new Move controller by itself seems to cost $20-$30. And doesn't it require a camera and/or navigator, sold separately?

Also, if that glowing bulb reflects off the screen, I'm not sure I'd be able to enjoy the game, anyways

I really detest Sony's use of stupid glowing lights on the controller (especially DS4)

I've tried to play it but I absolutely suck. It's so hard for me to get headshots and whenever I don't I just get swarmed and killed so easily and I always run out of ammo. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but yeah, I'm stuck in these games and I can't play them.

I love the game if only for it making the changes in Leon's character from 2 to 4 make sense: the guy is nuts but somehow the universe lets him get away with it.

Resi 2 was what really happened to him, while the version of it in this is how Leon remembers it, ie wrong but with more explosions and one liners.

Also way more perving, Claire's first words to Chris, the missing brother she's not seen in years being "You know Leon!?", and his absolute certainty that someone can resist the effects of the T-Veronica virus because of an inspiring landscape.

It's glorious.

Kinsei

Banned
I've tried to play it but I absolutely suck. It's so hard for me to get headshots and whenever I don't I just get swarmed and killed so easily and I always run out of ammo. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but yeah, I'm stuck in these games and I can't play them.

The handgun has infinite ammo so you should always use that unless you're in danger of being overwhelmed, or you're fighting a boss/really difficult enemy.

Neff

Looking at Amazon, a new Move controller by itself seems to cost $20-$30. And doesn't it require a camera and/or navigator, sold separately?

Also, if that glowing bulb reflects off the screen, I'm not sure I'd be able to enjoy the game, anyways

I really detest Sony's use of stupid glowing lights on the controller (especially DS4)

You'll need a PlayStation Eye for the Move, yes. The Navigation Controller afaik is optional, since you can use the DS3 in its place. One of these isn't a bad idea either.

y6nneo.jpg

If you're lukewarm on the idea of going with Move though, I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Personally I like it a lot, and the bulb reflection isn't as intrusive as you might think, but there's no getting around the fact that it has syncing/accuracy issues, and it just plain doesn't work as well as Nintendo's tech does on the same game.

Neiteio

Beat the main campaign last night. Great game! I don't know how accurate it is to the actual game, but the CV campaign was a fun rollercoaster ride. I enjoyed running across the rain-soaked island, the bats over the dam, the sniper standoffs in the mansion and merry-go-round, the SAW-like games in the warehouse, the burrowing sand-worm, the Hunters, the music-box puzzle, the dollhouse and toy room, the Tyrant confrontation on the plane, the snowfield fight against the transformed father, the showdown with Monster Steve and the three forms of Alexia, etc.

Good stuff! I still prefer the RE2 scenario, though. I like the menagerie of bosses (Chief Irons, Giant Alligator, Mr. X/Super Tyrant, five forms of G, etc). I also prefer RE2's setting: the city, police department, sewer, and underground lab (which feels more like a concrete bunker).

Operation Javier is a great framing device for all of this. The South American setting is gorgeous, and I like the individual locations they chose: An impoverished fishing village, a dam and retention basin, a villa and botanical gardens, etc. Honestly, the story of Operation Javier could be fleshed out nicely into a proper RE game (similar to how the RE2 and CV scenarios in DC are on-rails versions of those games)!

Also, it's nice to see Krauser again. I hear he's the same voice actor from RE4, but his voice sounds different here. Maybe it's simply because he's not trying to sound menacing at this point in time.

You'll need a PlayStation Eye for the Move, yes. The Navigation Controller afaik is optional, since you can use the DS3 in its place. One of these isn't a bad idea either.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/959/y6nneo.jpg[IMG]

If you're lukewarm on the idea of going with Move though, I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Personally I like it a lot, and the bulb reflection isn't as intrusive as you might think, but there's no getting around the fact that it has syncing/accuracy issues, and it just plain doesn't work as well as Nintendo's tech does on the same game.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, since I don't know how bad the light reflecting off the screen will be with Move (it's unbearable with the DS4, to the point I taped over it), I think I'll stick with DS3 for now. The controller works surprisingly well. It's mainly headshots that are hard to get, but I think that's more to do with the shaky cam and auto-aim being enabled than it is to do with the DS3. I hear aiming for the very tops of the heads helps with headshots; apparently merely clipping the top of the skull will pop it off. (This sounds so morbid out of context, lol)

Neiteio

So I only realized after beating the game that you can heal with L1 (no need to go into inventory screen) and you can swipe your knife by holding R2 and flicking the sticks. The latter is especially useful for clearing roaches/spiders off the screen.

In other news, there must be something special about this game, because I keep replaying the campaigns to upgrade my guns. o_O

The handgun has infinite ammo so you should always use that unless you're in danger of being overwhelmed, or you're fighting a boss/really difficult enemy.

I feel like I'm always constantly getting overwhelmed though, lol! Maybe I'll try it again or restart.

I'm at the part with
Carlos and Jill and they have to choose 2 different paths. No matter what path I take I just end up dying xD

Neiteio

I feel like I'm always constantly getting overwhelmed though, lol! Maybe I'll try it again or restart.

I'm at the part with
Carlos and Jill and they have to choose 2 different paths. No matter what path I take I just end up dying xD
Ah, you're playing them in the opposite order of me. I haven't started Umbrella Chronicles. I'm still optimizing my gear in Darkside Chronicles.

Kinsei

Banned

I'm at the part with

That's one of the hardest mandatory levels in the game if it makes you feel better.

I agree with this, DSC would have been better if the critical hit system from UC wasn't changed and that damn shaky cam was removed.

Neiteio

I like the shaky cam from a presentation standpoint. It's only tricky when you're trying to line up headshots and you haven't memorized the camera's movements.

What I -don't- like is the motion blur, but it's used sparingly enough, I suppose.

At any rate, the atmosphere in Darkside Chronicles is just so delicious. I especially like the dam in Operation Javier, the underground lab in the RE2 scenario, and Rockfort Island in the CV scenario.

Arttemis

Half a decade ago, I bought a pair of Move controllers, a Sharpshooter, and a couple handgun accessories, along with just about every light gun game on the market. Every House of the Dead, RE Chronicles, Time Crisis, and assorted collections.

I just really don't like the Move. Its cursor wanders like the Motion Plus cursor in Skyward Sword. You can't really get 1:1 accuracy with any consistency since it's gyroscopically-based and the camera has only one point of focus. There is slightly more delay than the IR-based Wii games.

Ultimately, the Move can be fun if you're watching your reticule and move your controller with its location on the screen in mind... But if you want a well calibrated light gun experience, it falls short.

HotD Returns on the Wii is still the king in regards to accurate light gun games. I play that game with the reticule disabled and literally aim down the sights of my gun peripheral to land headshots.

I dream of the day of a light gun game resurgence, this time with an accurate, responsive peripheral.

Top Bottom