• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: SHINING FORCE II: Don't play the Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Version because it's

ugly

really, really buggy.

That's right! Tizoc and Inframan brought it to the attention of GAF that there was a mighty sale on Genesis and Mega Drive games a couple of weeks back. Delighted at my chance to delve for the first time into the world of classic Sega titles, I picked up (for the low, low price of two dollars) five games: Sonic CD, Phantasy Star IV, Ristar, Landstalker and yes, Shining Force II. What a bargain!!

dgvrEJN.png

Unusually, I felt like playing an RPG. Phantasy Star IV had rave reviews, but I only felt ready for a casual gaming experience - it's like not wanting to waste your first time watching Citizen Kane with low concentration lest you miss out on some of the rich complexities that are so constituent of the films beauty. So I decided Shining Force II would do. This game is also rated very highly but there was less of an air of devotion among the fan chatter online when I checked, which settled my senses.

I booted up the Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics Steam file and found myself in a strangely hodge-podge 3d household lounge environment. Had I been teleported to another World? A kind of shitty World with just the bare minimum of stuff to give the impression that people live here? Wow! There was a Genesis on the floor in front of the TV! Wow, if I clicked it would I - no, that's game settings. So I clicked on the TV and gots to playing.

Shining Force II
starts with a neat cutscene of a mouse stealing some jewels out of a huge dungeon. That was cool but the game kept slowing down to a crawl and I felt instantly regretful of my purchase. Then hodgy100 kindly brought it to my attention that you can start the whole Sega emulator in basic mode which eradicated any sense of slowdown that I had been experiencing.

Once I got past the intro sequence, the game continued to draw me into its World with the file select screen being a conversation with a witch! Shortly thereafter I began my quest.
gfs_97773_1_3.jpg

I would grow to hate this witch.

This game is cool. I've never played a strategy game before where you can walk around in traditional RPG mode between fights! I'd like to see more games use this idea. I think there's a Mario Tennis game which has a similar RPG thing between matches. It's a fun chance for World-building.

sf2shot07.png

I'm not racist, but it was weird when I realised the main character's classmate from the beginning of the game was a centaur.

This game has charm. Check the Overworld music out. It reminds me of the Soul Calibur OST, actually - and that is another title just spewing with the sense of adventure that reacts with the brain like yeast and baking soda to make loaves and loaves of pure nostalgia. I can actually hear this track a lot without getting tired of it - and that's good because you hear it all the time in this game.

sf2shot18.png

See the guy in the top-left? He's the centaur. You wouldn't know it till he turns left. I'm not racist, just saying!

I find the writing in this game weird. In a lot of Japanese-to-English translated games, the characters speak in very black-and-white terms. You'll often walk up to an NPC and all they'll say is something like "you can buy loaves of bread at the market." This works in a lot of less story-driven games. It's fine in something like A Link to the Past, but Shining Force II has a much more interconnected plot - which is something I really like about this game. You're constantly gaining party members in an organic way - perhaps the King will tell his second-in-command to follow the gang and he'll join the party - situations like that. But for all this trouble to make the game feel alive, the characters can be prone to talking in a very stilted way. It doesn't necessarily bring the game down because it's obviously a product of its time, but I did take note of it. Not only that but the characterization seems pretty inconsistent, too. This great Wizard Sir Astral who serves as your teacher at the beginning of the game and has status among the Royals seems to have a pretty informal way of speaking even when addressing an entire army. It's really weird, but it's also fascinating to look at in some pseudo-historical context.

I was playing on easy and I greatly enjoyed the difficulty curve as somebody who doesn't usually think so strategically. I think there are a lot of components in this game that come together really well. To expand on the story-driven nature of this game, let me anecdotally mention that I played Advance Wars 2 for a while. I played Advance Wars 1 for an even shorter period of time then moved on because there wasn't enough context to the battles I was having. In the sequel there's a greater sense of threat and sweeping global stakes to be gleaned from the morsels of dialogue that occur before battles begin that helped to engage my emotional connection to the game. But it wasn't really enough and I found myself getting bored despite the core mechanics of the game being really solid.

In Shining Force II, the story really ties in to the battles that occur, so you get a greater sense of fighting for a reason. There's a definitive context to the things that occur, and a clear sense of progression that aids the story. Even watching your party grow from battle to battle as more members join the team aids in painting an epic scale for the player to enjoy.

sf2shot35.png

This is the last fight I ever fought.

Unfortunately the Sega Master System & Genesis Classics launcher is really buggy. It features save states, though you can also save in-game. After about 3 hours of on-and-off play across about a week I decided to save and quit to the in-game title. After that, I quit back to the launcher and state-saved the whole thing. To my dismay, the next time I opened my state-save, the in-game title screen showed I had no save data! It was all that fucking witch's fault! A few days later I begrudgingly renamed my character as Frein and started again. I remade my progress in about half the time! Must have gotten good at the game, little old me. I decided I would save in-game but never quit to title, and then save-state from there. Surely that ought to cover all my bases. However when I was quitting the game so that I could save-state from the launcher, it would often seize up on me and I'd have to force-quit and sometimes catch up on a little progress. Not the worst thing ever, but it eventually came to a T yesterday, where I had to force-quit, came back and all the data was wiped altogether! There was no record of any save-states at all.

If you want to play this game I'd recommend just using an emulator because this release is fucked like a loaf of bread!
sf2shot27.png

Well, that ended up not being true...

Anyone else played this game or other entries in the Shining Force saga?

OnPoint

Man that's a super big let down. The game is great -- hopefully you end up playing through the whole thing at some point.

Great game this and Streets of Rage 2 were my childhood. Peter was so broken kinda like Canopus in Tactics Ogre. This is my favorite in the series but I also like the dungeon crawlers too. The soundtrack was pretty memorable as well. I need to replay this at some point.

Something I'd like to mention here, you can actually grab those Genesis roms you bought by exploring the Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics local files on your computer. Plug em in your own emulator of choice, and you should have no problem. :)

I thought you were talking about the actual Mega Drive/Genesis versions when I read the title, should've just said the Steam version.

Disappointing to hear though, it was one of my favourite games as a kid and I'd like more people to play it.

I've been replaying them for the, I dunno, millionth time. The 2D Shining Force games are classic, and hold up amazingly well. The Xbox360 versions are fine, but I have the carts too. I was planning on grabbing the Steam versions also, so it's good to hear you can just use the game file in Fusion or whatever.

Aeana

This game is cool. I've never played a strategy game before where you can walk around in traditional RPG mode between fights! I'd like to see more games use this idea. I think there's a Mario Tennis game which has a similar RPG thing between matches. It's a fun chance for World-building.

Check out Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time if you have a PSP/Vita.

I played the original Shining Force a bunch back in the day, even getting so far as to getting to the very end and fighting that awesome ass
DRAGON
!
, but unfortunately I did all of this using the Sega Channel.

For those of you not fortunate to deal with the incredible BS that was Sega Channel, your save in any game could just randomly disappear at any time on any game. Fine for a game with a password system but complete death for any rpg.

Anyway, fought the
DRAGON!
and lost, quit and went back to it later only to find my save had finally been randomly deleted.

I really wish Sega would go back to making the strategy Shining Force games, I would happily let them delete all my saves at random again if I could get a Shining Force IV, or even a good localization/remaster of SF III

Neoweee

I've always hated how Sega's Genesis collections have worked. I feel like it is pretty easy to accidentally nuke your saves due to how it does save states.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Like Shining Force 1 its a very very good game, but I never liked it quite as much. Some of it comes down to aesthetics. SF2 was always maybe a bit too cartoony for me? Like, SF1 was weird as hell, but it wasn't quite as goofy visually

Bog

Junior Ace
You do realize Sega Mega Drive and Genesis are the names of the actual consoles, too, right? Those versions are not buggy.

AColdDay

Like Shining Force 1 its a very very good game, but I never liked it quite as much. Some of it comes down to aesthetics. SF2 was always maybe a bit too cartoony for me? Like, SF1 was weird as hell, but it wasn't quite as goofy visually

I preferred Shining Force 1 because the characters were less goofy. I mean, let's call a spade a spade there was some goofy shit in Shining Force 1, but 2 was too cutesy. 2 is better in a lot of gameplay ways, but I have a special place in my heart for the carnival battle and the battle against that weapon where you are having to hide out in between turns. That shit blew my elementary school mind.

Yes, they should make another Shining Force.

I preferred Shining Force 1 because the characters were less goofy. I mean, let's call a spade a spade there was some goofy shit in Shining Force 1, but 2 was too cutesy. 2 is better in a lot of gameplay ways, but I have a special place in my heart for the carnival battle and the battle against that weapon where you are having to hide out in between turns. That shit blew my elementary school mind.

Yes, they should make another Shining Force.

Yea the carnival battle was pretty epic and then oh shit the boss can regen hp. That caught me off guard a bit because I finished 2 first.

Teknoman

Personally i'd say just play the original cart release. If not that, download on Virtual Console via Wii.

But yeah, it kinda feels strange to me to see someone asking if anyone's ever played Shining Force 2 :p

Windforce

One of my favorite games of all time. It's great pacing from start to finish, great battle system, humor, nice story. I love it.

ugly

Personally i'd say just play the original cart release. If not that, download on Virtual Console via Wii.

But yeah, it kinda feels strange to me to see someone asking if anyone's ever played Shining Force 2 :p

Why's that? Is this one of those what's left to say about The Beatles kind of things?

Teknoman

Why's that? Is this one of those what's left to say about The Beatles kind of things?

Not really, its just like someone saying "If anyone has played Final Fantasy VII". Its like one of those "required reading" type deals if you even like JRPGs in the least bit imo, or one of those games that you just kinda assume people should be aware of in that its not obscure. Im glad there are still people who are experiencing the game for the first time though, as its a great intro to SRPGs and i'm surprised no one else has made such a fast combat system like it. Not to mention the soundtrack is amazing.

Of course it might just be the fact that im really into retro games, and grew up with the series as well.

That being said, if you like the music from Shining Force 2, you should really check out Shining Force CD's soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/26zHUz1SEyw

https://youtu.be/UWZseC6umcI

ugly

Not really, its just like someone saying "If anyone has played Final Fantasy VII". Its like one of those "required reading" type deals if you even like JRPGs in the least bit imo, or one of those games that you just kinda assume people should be aware of in that its not obscure. Im glad there are still people who are experiencing the game for the first time though, as its a great intro to SRPGs and i'm surprised no one else has made such a fast combat system like it. Not to mention the soundtrack is amazing.

Of course it might just be the fact that im really into retro games, and grew up with the series as well.

...I've never played FFVII...

Really though, I'd never heard of Shining Force before though I do have a penchant for retro games. It's quite a vast World to get into I suppose, there's always going to be something to miss, and the further we get away from the time period, the more streamlined the echelon of recognised 'classics' is going to get. What I mean by that is I'm sure lots of people have heard of Jimi Hendrix or whoever from the 60s, but less people will have heard of the band Love despite being a hugely important and dope-ass band from the same period. Or loads of people will know SNES classics like A Link to the Past, but fewer will have played Super Ghouls N Ghosts or whatever despite being a very high quality title.

Perhaps in 100 years people will know what Ocarina of Time is but will never have heard of A Link to the Past?

Top Bottom