• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Star Trek Enterpise (or TL:DR I like it so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekofrog

Banned
A bit of background: I grew up watching The Next Generation when it first aired with my dad, who watched the original series when he was a kid. I watched each subsequent series as they aired.

Loved TNG, loved DS9 even more, was pretty lukewarm about Voyager when it first aired. Upon rewatch, I recently rewatched all of the series and here are my brief thoughts:

-TOS can't really factor into this because it's old as dirt and broke ground for the series' to come.

-TNG is good but has a LOT of weaknesses (first two seasons, the final season, and any episode that stars Deanna Troi). Sometimes it can get REALLY heavy-handed with the "future eutopia" crap, to the point of being unbearable. B+ series overall.

-DS9 is solid all around. Even when the stories are bad, the characters make it super interesting. The political aspect is some of the best in a sci-fi show I've ever seen. The religious aspect can get out of control and boring. The Ferengi episodes, when in the right hands, were great. When in the wrong hands.... ugh. The closing of the main story arch shit the bed. Still, the overall strong writing and a few tremendously outstanding episodes bring this series to an A-.

-VOY is... well... Jeri Taylor's Mary Sue project televised. Janeway is never wrong even when she's wrong most of the time. There's rarely any intrigue, and the technobabble is OUT OF FUCKING CONTROL. The Prime Directive is quoted, abused, and tossed aside whenever Mary Sue feels like it, but enforced when she doesn't. It all depends on whether or not Janeway got laid the night before or not. A serious lack of repercussions except when it's convenient for the story. It's unfortunate, because it also has one of the best characters out of the entire Star Trek ensembles; Chakotay. JUST KIDDING IT'S THE DOCTOR. Series gets a C-.

Okay, now to the topic. ENTERPRISE is a show I didn't watch on its first airing due to a combination of a lack of interest in Star Trek after Voyager, and not having UPN. I had always heard it was pretty bad but picked up in its final season (change of show runner maybe?), so I never sought it out. After I finished rewatching all of the other series, I decided to finally give this one a go on Netflix.

Now I'm only on episode 6 so far, but here goes:

I didn't really care for the pilot. Not much to say about it since it is only establishing things. The following episodes are pretty self-contained in rocky locations, caves, and in a temple. It's pretty obvious the budget for this show so far is pretty low. Still, I find myself (generally) enjoying the characters. This show also captures the sense of "exploration" better than the other series, as it feels like they're really on a journey. VOY should have had this feeling, but the writing was so godawful it felt like "let's see what whacky adventures Janeway & Co. get into this week!".

I'm not really interested in this whole "Temporal Cold War" thing, but maybe it'll pick up. I generally like the crew interaction. So far it feels like a few of the characters are just cardboard cut-outs without anything to do, hopefully they'll get their moments to shine. Except for Mayweather, he's already grinding my fucking gears with his stupid "I'VE BEEN IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE BEFORE" shit.

B+ so far. Oh, and the theme song can get fucked.

I'll probably do a roundup when I'm done with the series in this thread.

FloatOn

My wife and I just finished the series about a week ago. Season 1 and 2 are pretty slow but enjoyable. Season 3 is one long story arch that is pretty dark and really exciting. Season 4 has several 3 part episodes that bridge the gap between enterprise and the original series, lots of fan service I think (I'm not the biggest trek fan).

Nekofrog

Banned
Just finished the 6th episode. If I hadn't spoiled myself at memory alpha literally minutes before it happened (was just checking to see if that was Jeffrey Combs like I thought it was, and it was), I would've been blown away.

Love the way the ending was handled. You fuckers broke the treaty? Fuck it, here you go bad guys, have all the info you want.

I've been meaning to give Enterprise another go as I haven't watched it in years, but I really, really don't want to watch the first two seasons. Hell, even with the stronger last two seasons, it's hard for me to care about any of the characters (they're just so bland and uninteresting) – even with better stories it's kind of hard for me to watch when you don't have any characters you care about.

Never liked the Temporal Cold War. That whole thing was just a giant mess. The focus of the series should've been on more local problems (location and time wise).

Also, Archer is a moronic captain.

kharma45

Season one is good relative to the first season of other STs, two is crap but once you get through it and into three it's really good, and four has some excellent moments.

Ecrofirt

It's funny, I just finished the last episode of Enterprise last night.

I thought the show was good until the last season, where it seemed like they knew things were falling apart. The last episode in particular was a slap in the face.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's the strongest and most consistent series overall. People say that the first two seasons aren't great, but they're far better than any of the other Star Trek's opening seasons. Seasons 3 and 4 are pretty fantastic.

I'm not sure whether I prefer DS9 or Enterprise. DS9 definitely has higher highs and better characters, but it also has some pretty terrible lows.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I liked it too.

Some of season 2 is pretty rough, though.

Also, this is the part where I say that the Vulcan cruisers in this show have one of my favorite ship designs in all of Trek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom