• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario Land 2

What a weird game. Weird but very good! I have played SML1 plenty of times but it never clicked with me. Probably because of how small the sprites were. The upgrade here was very much appreciated. One thing I loved was that if you screw jump down into a block that the powerup in question will pop up out of the top of the block, not the bottom. I don't recall if that was in SMW (it's been a while) but it was very much appreciated regardless. The bunny ears were great, I loved holding A to replicate some Duck Tales shit. Also the space stage where you were basically playing Balloon Trip. I miss Gunpei Yokoi.

Crisium

I have fond memories of playing this on my Super Gameboy.

Why is there a giant robotic Mario in this land anyway?

tumblr_nhoa9wFro41rvenmoo5_400.gif

Villain on the top of the castle was cool.

SuperMarioLand2.gif

And what's with this guy man?

995d28f25aa74a58e0109d66e983e487.gif

One of the better Mario games even after all these years. Doubly so because it was made in the era where Mario games actually went to new areas and gave you new themes to explore, unlike modern Mario games.

phanphare

Banned
man, this thread and the lltp: link's awakening thread

yall are bringing me back!

love this game, though. much like link's awakening it was a very unique entry in the series. very strange even in the context of the strange things that generally happen in mario games. there are some pretty strange enemies in general and I remember some of the ones from the pumpkin zone being especially weird. pretty sure there's a goomba ghost as an enemy in this game. I guess if you ever feel bad about killing goombas in other mario games just know this game wouldn't exist without that. it's a public service, really.

Great game. Some weird, but cool environments. Sure beats the hell out of the pretty generic environments the franchise has settled on

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I can't count how many times I would re-play the final castle over and over again just for fun. It was a challenging little gauntlet that never really got old for me.

Azure J

Seriously my favorite non-remake portable Mario game. It's just so off the wall in every element of its design and in a good way too. Also, that box art is just the best.

Mario Land 2 is one of my favorite Mario games just for how weird it is. Awesome soundtrack, too.

I remember picking up the game a few years back and realizing that there were some secret levels I hadn't even gotten around to finding.

If SML1 is SMB for Gaemboy, Land 2 is the Super Mario World

That's actually pretty apt, considering both SMW and SML2 were followed up by games that stood as both sequels and spinoffs.

Mario Land 2 is one of my favorite Mario games just for how weird it is. Awesome soundtrack, too.

I remember picking up the game a few years back and realizing that there were some secret levels I hadn't even gotten around to finding.

The Star power-up music is so dope.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked it back in the day. Big improvement from the first Super Mario Land.

BriGuy

Loved this game like nobody's business when I was a kid, but I tried to go back to it recently and it did not hold up well at all. And yeah, it is pretty weird. Super Mario Bros. 2 seems more like a normal Mario game by comparison.

This is game is pure nostalgia to me.
It's good that Wario Land took over at some point tough. The weirdness of Mario Land games become the canon for Wario.

jholmes

This is a great game I only beat a few months ago. One thing I couldn't believe is the crazy difficulty spike for the last level. It's just way, way harder than everything up to that point. And then the actual boss is a bit of a joke.

Still a portable classic!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
i remember whn it came out, mind completely blown by the graphics, a monstrous upgrade from SML1. And game was damn good as well. Loved it

Great game. I got a GB around the time this came out after playing earlier titles on a friend's system. This game was something of a revelation because they managed to get so close to the look and feel of the console Mario games with it. I loved the weird world themes and the music.

Awesome game. Would love to see some of the weird worlds and enemies revisited in a 3D Mario game, since the Mushroom Kingdom is too played out at this point

matm666

One of the things I really like about this game is that you can choose the worlds in any order, I wish future Mario game will do the same.

Velcro Fly

Remember my sister had the cart for this and never let me play it as a kid. I had SML1 and Wario Land but she had this.

When I got my 3DS I bought and played this immediately. So fun.

Hugstable

Banned
Having just finished Wario Land 1 and 2 this week, I'm going to start up SUper Mario Land 2 and finally beat this game for the first time. Probably do Kirby Dreamland 2 after also. Picked up Wario Land 3 and played like 10 minutes, but I put it down just cause how disappointed I was that Wario is missing pretty much all his moves from both Wario Land 1 and 2. No butt stomp or pick up and throw? The hell, this isn't a Wario Land game :(.

MrBadger

Never really liked how this game controls, but I really like all the creativity in the worlds and the weird enemies, like the walking Jason heads

Z5MEUu7iOjwbmpwm0KmYASj5o1_500.jpg

Sciz

Picked up Wario Land 3 and played like 10 minutes, but I put it down just cause how disappointed I was that Wario is missing pretty much all his moves from both Wario Land 1 and 2. No butt stomp or pick up and throw? The hell, this isn't a Wario Land game :(.

He gets them all back and then some, keep playing.

maxcriden

This is a great game I only beat a few months ago. One thing I couldn't believe is the crazy difficulty spike for the last level. It's just way, way harder than everything up to that point. And then the actual boss is a bit of a joke.

Still a portable classic!

It is super tough. I don't think I ever made it there as a kid. I made it there a couple years ago but couldn't beat it and gave up. I should try it again sometime.

I love this game. It was the game I bought the day I picked up my OG Gameboy. I cannot even fathom how many times I've beaten it. The frame rate is slow as molasses during 75% of the game, but I love it regardless. Definitely an overlooked classic that was overshadowed by Wario Land.

Loooooooved this game! So many neat, unique characters.

This level was crazy hard.
large.jpg

Then that realization that this guy:
mBhKhUsvx1mLcO60hTHBDal8jGM06czH.jpg

Is the same as this guy:
hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom