• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: The Peanuts Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
:)

I has smile throughout this movie. Everything was just so sweet. They nailed the character personalities to a tee. Yet this feels like more than a simple homage to Charles Schulz's work.

10-reasons-why-you-will-love-the-new-peanuts-movie-698680.jpg

I should give a bit of background before I talk about the movie. I used to read Peanut strips in the newspaper every now and then as a kid. I wasn't a religious follower of them by any means but I enjoyed the characters and stories the cast would fall in to from time to time. Several years ago however, I ended up watching A Charlie Brown Christmas in a very crazy and emotional time of my life. It left a lasting impression on me and really just made me fall in love with the world all the more. I had wanted to watch this film for a while and finally had the opportunity to do so.

The Peanuts was written from Charles Schulz own life experiences but it can really describe a lot of people's own situations growing up. This is the story of Charlie Brown trying to finally prove that he is a winner in the eyes of his first great crush, the Little Red Haired Girl.

Let's just say there's this girl I'm trying to impress. But she's something and I'm nothing. If I were something and she was nothing I could talk to her or is she was nothing and I was something I could talk to her. But she's SOMETHING and I'm nothing... so I just can't talk to her.

Charlie Brown is the insecure, lovable, loser you know from the comic strip. Charlie Brown isn't necessarily a hated or bullied person but rather he feels separated all the same. He's an outcast from both his own insecurities and a lack of support all around. That's what makes Snoopy such a great friend and the story all the greater for Charlie Brown finally manages to overcome his fear of who he thinks people want him to be and instead embraces who he actually is, an honest and good-natured kid willing to help others even if it's not in his best interest. That's what makes the climax so nice because finally someone sees him as just that person and the rest of the neighborhood rallies behind him for that.

This is such an endearing tale and it's told in such a way that the film never dragged. If anything I wanted more out of the world and the characters as some of the interactions and dialogue in scenes felt like completely new 4-panel strips written by Schulz himself.

The side story with Snoopy was interesting to me in that it both completely separate in tone from the rest of the movie while still feeling analogous to Charlie Brown's own situation in a few ways. Woodstock and Snoopy were both adorable though and they definitely added the light touch to keep this story from going too dark.

Speaking of light and dark, there is one major difference this movie has from the old Peanut specials. It's a really bright film. Lot's of the old Peanut specials and strips always had this undertone of depression in how realistic and dark situations ended up being. Case in point, the Christmas special detailed the modern day commercialization of the holidays while losing their original meaning. Sure it ended on a happier note but it left a kind of darker afterthought about human nature.

This movie however, manages to deliver a message about the realities of the world but in such a lighter manner without making one feel sad or disheartened.

As a side note it's nice seeing the creators behind this movie bring back long lost characters like Violet and Patty.

As another side note and somewhat off-topic question: I read a comment on Youtube talking about an interview with Schulz that said in the future Charlie Brown wouldn't end up with the Little Red Haired Girl but with Peppermint Patty instead. Is there any source for this?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It was an enjoyable movie. My kids, especially my daughter (3 years old) was transfixed from beginning to end.

Shaanyboi

Banned
didn't care so much for the Red Baron stuff, it felt like they were just forced to insert some action scenes for the bored kids not used to an animated movie just about people talking...

But yeah, loved the rest of the movie.

It's so true, too. That's why everyone likes Charlie (even the girls who pick on and bully him). :)

And it's why we all fell in love with him
I read a negative review (one of the only ones) where the writer hated the fact that Charlie Brown kept failing and never got what he wanted.

But that was the point. It's not that he didn't get the girl, it's that he MIGHT someday get the girl. You hope he gets the girl or kicks the football.

Charlie Brown is the hope we all have that someday we'll kick the football and everything will turn out right.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I fucked loved it and I feel like its one of the most ambitious children movies in a while. Because they kept it exactly to what the comic strip was all about. Rather than create a bullshit, save the world story, or go with a full on Snoopy gag. They kept it to Chuck and what defines him.

<3

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I loved the holiday specials growing up, but I was a little disappointed in the movie. It focused too much on Charlie Brown and the supporting characters aren't given anything interesting to do. Charlie Brown becoming the most popular kid in school because he got the highest grade on a test was lame. Snoopy was fantastic, but the Red Baron sequences went on too long. The movie has its moments, but it didn't quite recapture the feel of the cartoons to me.

I loved the holiday specials growing up, but I was a little disappointed in the movie. It focused too much on Charlie Brown and the supporting characters aren't given anything interesting to do. Charlie Brown becoming the most popular kid in school because he got the highest grade on a test was lame. Snoopy was fantastic, but the Red Baron sequences went on too long. The movie has its moments, but it didn't quite recapture the feel of the cartoons to me.

I don't think it was trying to recapture the feeling of the cartoons. Rather, it was bringing the Peantus to life in our time. It's like a bunch of strips combining to make one full story. It focuses on Charlie Brown to keep the movie focused and compact as the story it's telling doesn't really need to focus too heavily on the other characters.

Still, I understand your criticism. If they ever make a sequel I would like them to flesh out the rest of the cast a bit more and take it away from being a Charlie Brown movie.

Xe4

Banned
It's a fantastic movie. Was worried about the CGI, but they made it work damn well. Humor and Story were good as well.

jmood88

I saw it at a dollar theater a few months ago and loved every second of it. I was a little mad at myself for not seeing it earlier but it was great all the same.

link1201

didn't care so much for the Red Baron stuff, it felt like they were just forced to insert some action scenes for the bored kids not used to an animated movie just about people talking...

But yeah, loved the rest of the movie.
I agree it felt disjointed. A great movie though aside from that.

Parch

It's alright. I think they made a very safe movie. They took no risks and gave the fanbase exactly what they were expecting. Nothing wrong with that. It looks great and is the definitive Peanuts movie, but pretty much forgetable.

it has some flaws (a little disjointed feeling to have it go over a whole school year, pop music was okay but the instrumental score was actually pretty bland which was surprising), but you can really tell the creators respected the source material and every character was extremely well done. I kind of like how quickly they establish Charlie Browns good nature, the magic show scene would've been a climax after a long period of self discovery in lesser children's films.

Admit that the ending with the transition made me misty.

I guess I'm in the minority, but despite growing to like the art style, I ended up feeling like the movie was a shallow experience. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I think it has to do with its need to emphasize so many references to things I've seen in previous Charlie Brown specials. The Red Baron stuff was awful, and the characters felt like slightly more boring versions of themselves. If given the choice of re-watching this movie or 3-4 older specials, I'd be more drawn to the older ones. I didn't hate it as much as something like Jurassic World, but it was definitely disappointing.

I guess I'm in the minority, but despite growing to like the art style, I ended up feeling like the movie was a shallow experience. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I think it has to do with its need to emphasize so many references to things I've seen in previous Charlie Brown specials. The Red Baron stuff was awful, and the characters felt like slightly more boring versions of themselves. If given the choice of re-watching this movie or 3-4 older specials, I'd be more drawn to the older ones. I didn't hate it as much as something like Jurassic World, but it was definitely disappointing.

Yeah there are quite a bit of references in the movie but the movie itself isn't held back by them.

LosDaddie

Banned
Boring.
I took the family to it, and I fell asleep. Movie just felt like it dragged on too long. Maybe I was just too tired.

I really enjoyed the movie because it was Peanuts, but I think they played too safe.

I read a comment on Youtube talking about an interview with Schulz that said in the future Charlie Brown wouldn't end up with the Little Red Haired Girl but with Peppermint Patty instead. Is there any source for this?

That comment was probably written by Peppermint Patty. lol (but I like them together)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I have the UHD of this sitting there just haven't had time to watch it, though my Beagle will be on the mend from her spay this weekend so maybe it's the perfect movie to watch with her passed out next to me

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
As another side note and somewhat off-topic question: I read a comment on Youtube talking about an interview with Schulz that said in the future Charlie Brown wouldn't end up with the Little Red Haired Girl but with Peppermint Patty instead. Is there any source for this?

The Little Red Haired Girl was based off of an accountant that Schultz fell in love with and proposed to back in 1950 (she turned him down and married another man :( )

Lucy was based off of Schultz's first wife

Peppermint Patty was based off of one of his cousins.

So if anything, Charlie Brown is going to end up with Lucy :)

Hustler

I recently bought a digital copy of this movie for my 3 year old boy. I enjoyed the movies growing up, but they were never my favorite, I always thought they were overplayed. But this movie....I had a smile on my face the entire time. It's been quite some time since I have seen such a light hearted and good spirited movie. The animation was top notch and very vibrant. One of my favorite kids movies and my boy loves the red baron scenes.

bundaberg

Banned
The handful of times I've read the strip I found it boring and did not care at all so was not paying any attention when the girlfriend started watching the movie but as it went on I was paying more and more attention to it and found a lot of joy by the end.

Would recommend.

I loved it. And I cried at the ending credits too. Perfect way to end the movie with the comic book backdrops, absolutely nailed it in terms of nostalgia.

Most of the "retro revival" films I've seen in the last decade that attempt to bring back a dead cartoon, show, or comic (RIP Alvin and the Chipmunks, the 3D films have been godawful) fail miserably at what they're trying to do. I think people take for granted just how fantastic the film turned out - it could have easily been a disaster.

Also, as a 3D artist myself, the film was nonstop eye candy. It totally captured the original look of the comics while at the same time, modernizing it with 3D rendering. It was a joy to look at the whole way through.

UberTag

It's exceptionally charming and very faithful to the source material. I would have liked a little less Red Baron and a little more focus on the rest of the supporting cast. A character as great as Linus shouldn't feel like window dressing and yet that's exactly what he was here.

That said, I'm glad the film was such a box office success and I hope it was enough to kickstart the franchise and give it a chance with some meatier material instead of mere nostalgia pandering.
They hit a home run with the casting, too.

Veal

I greatly enjoyed this movie! Hit all the right buttons of nostalgia while not being dragged down by it. Kids of the modern age can relate easily.

Didn't catch it in theaters but bought it a couple weeks ago. Was so heartwarming. Loved the visual style. Stuck true to the art of the panel's. The ending was very well done too. Love me some peanuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom