• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - The Witcher 3

Just bought this game on a sale for $15 the other week. Loved Witcher 1 & 2, and finally playing the third installment, and man what a game. I'm only in the beginning and just finished completing bunch of the board quests in the first town. I know I just started but I'm already hooked. Knowing how this game was received, I know i'm in for a treat.

Are there any tips for a new starter of the game? Which upgrades to start or focus on? Any secrets or quests i shouldn't miss? Is there a ultimate sword I should start early in getting items for?

Makes me wish Witcher 1 and 2 was on console because I never played them. W2 is on Xbox, but I don't have that system.

Nixonomics

I recently played through this and these would be my tips:
When you're in the wilderness listen for bee's when you're using your witcher sense - if you find a hive use Agni to neutralize the bee's before picking it up.
There's a really good starting silver sword under the cemetery in White Orchid.
You can get cards from beating people in Gwent.
The utility skill that lets you use adrenaline points to cast a sign is really good.
Get Axii to level 3 as early as possible so you can pass any dialogue skill checks.
Rely on Quen.
Do all the Witcher contracts, I think they're the best parts of the game.
I'd recommend bumping up the difficulty to Death March or whatever is under that if you feel up to it. It's the hardest at the start but levels out really quickly as you get more powerful. Encourages you to get every advantage possible with your potions/oils/weapons. Made me feel much more immersed without being soul crushing.
Take your time! Game is MASSIVE.

I recently played through this and these would be my tips:
When you're in the wilderness listen for bee's when you're using your witcher sense - if you find a hive use Agni to neutralize the bee's before picking it up.
There's a really good starting silver sword under the cemetery in White Orchid.
You can get cards from beating people in Gwent.
The utility skill that lets you use adrenaline points to cast a sign is really good.
Get Axii to level 3 as early as possible so you can pass any dialogue skill checks.
Rely on Quen.
Do all the Witcher contracts, I think they're the best parts of the game.
I'd recommend bumping up the difficulty to Death March or whatever is under that if you feel up to it. It's the hardest at the start but levels out really quickly as you get more powerful. Encourages you to get every advantage possible with your potions/oils/weapons. Made me feel much more immersed without being soul crushing.
Take your time! Game is MASSIVE.

This is awesome!
What do the cards do?

Vawn

Banned
Makes me wish Witcher 1 and 2 was on console because I never played them. W2 is on Xbox, but I don't have that system.

Witcher 1 would have to be completely remade probably. The combat of that game is literally just left-clicking on the enemy you're fighting to a rhythm.

Nixonomics

This is awesome!
What do the cards do?

The cards are what you use to play the card game Gwent. Having more of them allows you to customize your deck further. Your beginning deck is pretty weak and won't work against players you'll encounter later who have better cards in their decks. I held off on playing inn keeps and merchants for so long since I thought I had to find and BUY more cards - turns out I should have been playing them all along slowly unlocking more cards too.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing for the first time right now and all I can think is how overrated the game is. At 7 hours in I find the controls sloppy, cut scene graphics are ugly, the story is boring, menu system isnt at all intuitive, horse cant jump over anything without problems and there has been a ton of pop up on my OneX.
I'm going to push on for the time being but I may abandon the game soon.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Omg I first tried this game years ago then I bought I several months ago. Tonight was the first time it really clicked and I played uninterrupted for a long time and it has been so good! I love this. Playing as Ciri right now! This is so good. Love the strong fantasy vibes.

Last edited:
Check your map for question marks and find all 'places of power'. Each place of power gives you 1 extra skill point.

Depending on your build, find appropriate Witcher gear set early on and upgrade it as you level up. I'm playing right now as sign casting unstoppable killer so I rock a griffin school set.

Take screenshots and post in PC screenshot thread. :messenger_grinning:

Stuart360

This is a weird game for me. I have never finished it, even though open world rpg's are my fave games these days. I recognize its brilliance, but i never have the drive to finish it. I dont get it, i even finished AC Odyssey twice.

Krapalicious

Neo Member
My favorite quest was "The Last Wish" which paid homage to the short story. I can't remember what the name of the starting quest was, all I remember was that the quest chain started when Yennefer asked Geralt to catch up later and it was important.

My favorite quest was "The Last Wish" which paid homage to the short story. I can't remember what the name of the starting quest was, all I remember was that the quest chain started when Yennefer asked Geralt to catch up later and it was important.

This is a good one. It unlocks after completing main quest in:
Freya's Garden

Last edited:

pLow7

Also do as much side-content as you can. Even the dumbest Side-Missions are sometimes incredible. The writing in this game is really amazing on all fronts. I seriously can't recall a badly written or boring quests.

Also if you can, buy the DLCs Heart of Stone and Blood and Wine. They are incredible, especially Blood and Wine since it not only adds a 15 Hour Main Quest and a huuuuge Map, but also includes many Gameplay Tweaks and Skills.

I finally got around to playing this last year.

It's a great game but the main story line arguably goes on a bit too long, I found it a challenge to see it through to the end and I still haven't touched the DLC.

I think one issue is the lack of visual variety for such a large game, compare it to something like Breath of The Wild and you'll see what I mean, although I understand that they had to stick to the books.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Quen, always Quen. If you're in combat and Quen is not active, you're doing it wrong!

There's an upgrade that lets you use adrenaline points to cast signs when you run out of stamina, HIGHLY recommended.

Also, disable points of interest and objective paths on the minimap, the game is MUCH more fun when you're just exploring and stumbling upon shit instead of simply chasing icons.

Last edited:

shubik

This is a weird game for me. I have never finished it, even though open world rpg's are my fave games these days. I recognize its brilliance, but i never have the drive to finish it. I dont get it, i even finished AC Odyssey twice.

How on earth con you torture yourself by playing odyssey twice?!?!? The game sure has it´s moments but I had to quit after 50 hours and the realization that I was not even at the half of the game. It´s just too much of the same.

Bogey

Banned
I envy you my friend. You've got one of the best gaming experiences of all time ahead of you.

I don't think you'll need any particular hints actually. Yes, there are secrets and hidden things, so by all means, go explore!
But you don't really depend on finding any one particular weapon or armor. There's plenty of stuff to find, I wouldn't be worried of missing out, if you prefer exploring yourself

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Quen is your friend if playing on death march. It’s the best way to play, hard at the start but then gets much easier, I did it to get the platinum. My favourite platinum that I have. Just enjoy the experience e but if you are going for 100% the only thing I think you can miss are the Gwent cards so I followed a guide for those. Took me about 2 years to actually finish the game as I had very little time to play it, but it’s just amazing.

Check your map for question marks and find all 'places of power'. Each place of power gives you 1 extra skill point.

Depending on your build, find appropriate Witcher gear set early on and upgrade it as you level up. I'm playing right now as sign casting unstoppable killer so I rock a griffin school set.

Take screenshots and post in PC screenshot thread. :messenger_grinning:

medallions humming

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
If you wanna 100% read the gwent witcher guide first as cards are missable.

Last edited:

DogofWar

You are in for a ride!
One of the best written games I have played. Only open world RPG were I was actually being immersed in the characters I met. The Bloody Baron questline, which is relatively early in the game, is a prime example of this.

Also one of the few games were you actually have to think about the moral choices as it is never "obvious good" or "obvious bad". In war-ridden lands there are rarely any good choices after all. Even seemingly mindless beasts turn out to have been affected by it, if you pay attention to the first (mandatory) contract in the game - the griffin in White Orchard, you will see what I mean.

And as someone else said - do all the witcher contracts! They are really good. Especially the ones with spectres, uncovering the story that led to the curse to turn them into spectres sent shiver down my spine a lot of times.

And yes play Gwent. The original OP of this game on here was called "I wanted to find Ciri but something Gwent wrong". That should say a lot about how fun that minigame is. :messenger_grinning:

Try not to spoil any story OP. Just make the decisions you feel are right.

And I don't understand people complaining about the combat, I finished the game + DLCs 3 times. Two of them on Death March! And I love it.

Nico_D

I just replayed the whole thing and I feel like it was even better the 2nd time around.

I still feel the Novigrad part of the game is boring and too long. At least this time I knew to speed through the most boring parts of it.

Get the Cat gear!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yeah this game is badass. So seamless. I love the voice acting and the writing. And yeah you can just walk around and talk to people and get sucked into these wonderful micro dramas.

Geralt is a great character. He has that classic gravelly voice almost like Solid Snake. And with the Witcher sense he has the detective skills of a fantasy Batman.

Change the controls to "responsive" or whatever it is in the control/gameplay menu. Idk if it is default these days or not.

I've played the game through 3 times, plus the DLCs and never touched Gwent once - so if it isn't your thing you can ignore it completely.

I play games like this on normal difficulty. I only upgraded the magic tree my first playthrough and didn't touch the other skill trees, it was a breeze.

Yennefer is a cunt.

rsouzadk

Queen is your best friend.

Gwent, if you learn how to play it, is fucking gold. I just love it.
Just bought this game on a sale for $15 the other week. Loved Witcher 1 & 2, and finally playing the third installment, and man what a game. I'm only in the beginning and just finished completing bunch of the board quests in the first town. I know I just started but I'm already hooked. Knowing how this game was received, I know i'm in for a treat.

Are there any tips for a new starter of the game? Which upgrades to start or focus on? Any secrets or quests i shouldn't miss? Is there a ultimate sword I should start early in getting items for?

Last edited:

Peroroncino

What I wouldn't give to be able to experience it all over again for the first time.

As for you, OP, do not sleep on both of the expansions, they are AMAZNIG.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Let me confess: Instead of tolerating the combat I really, really like it. It's a little janky in terms of fluidity but you are given so many options and different builds to create/test that you can make something awesome. Killing blows are also really satisfying.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
:messenger_musical:Magical undead fetus adventure! ❤️

yeah combat ain’t so bad when you get the hang of it. monster designs are top notch

teezzy

Banned
Witcher 3 is amazing with no prior knowledge of the IP whatsoever. Going into it, having played the prior two games beforehand must be blissful. I can't even imagine.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My only tip: don't get frustrated with tough fights to vanquish certain monsters. There's always a way to make the fight much easier by Batman prepping. Choose your potion, get ready to use the correct hexes. It's OK to die a few times figuring things out.

I bought this and tried to give it a shot a year or so ago and it just really didn’t work for me on any level. Is it just my taste? The controls? I like to just sort of jump in, have fun and am not huge into the setting - should I give it another shot? Because the people that like this game REALLY seem to like it and I just straight up don’t get it, but I so want to love cyberpunk when it comes out as well so I kinda want to get used to this type of gameplay.

I completed every mission in the game and visited every location with the exception of not playing a single gwent game . I just could not force such an awful thing upon myself.... So I did not get those missions complete... and don't care.

Last edited:

luffie

• Get the DLC
  • Take your time, do every quests
  • Be faithful to the woman you choose (very impt)
  • Don't go for Death March on 1st time. The combat is a bit clunky, all it does is make enemies one shot you most of the time.
  • Get Axii to lvl 2 asap, then lvl 3 when you reach Velen.
  • Play Gwent whenever you can! This is also important as some events has unique cards and you can't get it again if you miss it.
  • Don't worry too much about swords and gears, there is only one ultimate sword at the endgame dlc, and all gears will be outclassed by levels.
  • Be very nice with Ciri (she's your everything, super impt!)
That's all op, have a blast, you'll never get this 1st time exhilaration again.

I'm at level 16 now and looking for all the griffin set right when i hit level 17. Really enjoying this game. I'm focusing on sword play, quen, igni, and axii. Playing right below the hardest level. Once i start playing in the evenings after work and dinner, i play til 2:30 - 3am! I have most things on ultra and high graphics and this game looks amazing. The sunsets are just crazy especially in the Crookback Bog area. I'm doing all the side missions first, and once i'm out of side missions, i continue with the main quests. If i'm in an area, i also try to cover all the question mark in the area as much as possible. This game is so massive.

The 360 version is playable on Xbox One and will be playable on all future systems as well. I have seen the One S all Digital for as low as $109 before, so if there are like 4 or 5 other games you want to play that are only on Xbox, I would just go for it next time you see one that cheap

The 360 version is playable on Xbox One and will be playable on all future systems as well. I have seen the One S all Digital for as low as $109 before, so if there are like 4 or 5 other games you want to play that are only on Xbox, I would just go for it next time you see one that cheap
Or just buy an old PC, it's much better "backwards compatible" machine than Xbox will ever be.

Last edited:
Or just buy an old PC, it's much better "backwards compatible" machine than Xbox will ever be.

I mean yeah that too. I played through the whole trilogy on PC and could not have imagined playing it on console (I just really prefer my third person action games like The Witcher to be played Keyboard and Mouse) but since this person specifically wanted a console port, I mentioned that the Xbox port will always be available to play on all future systems and to just keep an eye out

Bolivar687

Banned
I'm surprised you're only playing it now if you already completed the first two games. Don't miss out on Gwent, start building your collection and decks early.

I mean yeah that too. I played through the whole trilogy on PC and could not have imagined playing it on console (I just really prefer my third person action games like The Witcher to be played Keyboard and Mouse) but since this person specifically wanted a console port, I mentioned that the Xbox port will always be available to play on all future systems and to just keep an eye out
True and true! CD Project Red is one of the few studios that design their games for PC first and it shows. Game is infinitely more enjoyable on PC. I finished W3 on PS4, Xbox One (twice) and now I'm playing it on PC. It's a whole different experience. Plus, you can make the game look absolutely stunning looking with mods, even for 2020 standards.

OP, don't listen to people who tell you to skip Gwint (Gwent). I never liked card games and when I first played W3 I ignored it because I was too lazy to learn the rules. Trust me, learn the rules. Gwint makes the W3 universe much more complete and once you get the hang of it, it's really, really fun.

Tschumi

My #1 game of my life. I think people like to poke holes at it, but I think it's kind of a sign of affection for a legitimately great title. Maybe they rose the bar super high, so all manner of criteria could sneak under it, but I think it's a flawless masterpiece.

My best hint?

Do it all set to 'walk' for your first playthrough ;P And it's worth it trying to piece together nice armour sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom