• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - The Witcher 3

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I kept dying over and over the the checkpoints made it a pain so I bumped difficulty down to Sword and Story. It’s still a decent challenge! And I’ve 100%ed Sekiro.

I have a bad habit of walking up to a notice board and just clicking everything now my quests list is full of stuff 😂

R6Rider

Gold Member
I kept dying over and over the the checkpoints made it a pain so I bumped difficulty down to Sword and Story. It’s still a decent challenge! And I’ve 100%ed Sekiro.

I have a bad habit of walking up to a notice board and just clicking everything now my quests list is full of stuff 😂

Honestly the challenge aspect of Witcher 3 isn't even in the top things that make it so enjoyable.

Make sure you READ the notice board postings, as there are some good ones!

Mhmmm 2077

Good luck. I played it on release and if you don't like the "heavy" movement, change in game setting to "alternative movement", I didn't mind the original at all, just a lot of people complained about so I'm telling you.

A.Romero

Do all the side quests and pick up everything to sell. Specially at the beginning money is hard to come by. Even useless swords and pieces of armor can be deconstructed to get crafting materials so you can get better equipment with the smith or to sell.

Pay attention to the monsters you are hunting so you can take advantage of oils.

Don't forget to put runes on your equipment.

If you are having issues with health before entering big fights remember you can meditate for a bit to heal (unless you are playing higher difficulties). If you are playing higher difficulties, remember to roll against monsters and parry against humans.

Items such as bombs are pretty useful so don't forget to use them.

There is no clear cut right choices so go with what you think is best. You can be locked out from some quests by advancing the main story or by certain choices. If you are worried about it, is best to check a guide (I didn't and missed a couple).

Shai-Tan

Banned
I finished it and all the dlc last December. While I didn’t find the combat too compelling I did enjoy going through the quest lines, although I would have aggressively avoided many of the samey side quests with copy pasted narratives from true crime shows (but with werewolves/vampires/spirits) if the game would have better separated them from the more interesting ones.

Supposedly the devs are trying to make all the Cyberpunk 2077 quests unique which is good because I can already imagine the gang and corporate filler storylines without even playing it.

luffie

Imo potions and bombs come in only at higher difficulty. In normal mode, I hardly ever use them, but in Death March it really shines and show you that the potion skill tree are actually the strongest one.

In Death March, igni and aard are almost useless in combat. Having the proper potion skills and quen will make you an invincible tank while increasing your adrenaline and critical rating to max.

In a way, it makes the potion and bomb part fun, but in a way, it makes aard and igni style not so fun anymore, since enemies hit hard and have a large health pool.

WellSheet

This thread; the OP mainly...

mice tried twice to get into the Witcher 3. Both times I got 8 or so hours in (right after meeting Yennifer for the first time properly)....and I would stop. It’s like I could get invested.....but then I’ve heard these stories over the years about how amazing Blood and Wine is...and bout this side quest and that Blood Baron Quest and blah blah fuckin’ blah...and then I get down on my knees and ask Jesus why I suffer from being a fool?

I feel like I’m a broken human being who can’t enjoy something so many others can....why...

asocirev

This Witcher 3 thread makes me want to play again. Like many others, this may be my favorite game of all time.

I recommend trying deathmarch and after getting past Senior Griffon the rest will be downhill difficulty wise!

Zeypher

This thread; the OP mainly...

mice tried twice to get into the Witcher 3. Both times I got 8 or so hours in (right after meeting Yennifer for the first time properly)....and I would stop. It’s like I could get invested.....but then I’ve heard these stories over the years about how amazing Blood and Wine is...and bout this side quest and that Blood Baron Quest and blah blah fuckin’ blah...and then I get down on my knees and ask Jesus why I suffer from being a fool?

I feel like I’m a broken human being who can’t enjoy something so many others can....why...
So you only played the prologue. Fair enough not all games are for everybody and they should not be.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Yeah it’s great stuff. Right now I’m following some sorceress through a dungeon investigating the symbols on the walls and fighting monsters and casting fire to dispel poison gas clouds and looting shrooms and stuff for when I do alchemy. All of this is similar to what I did in Skyrim. But there it felt so generic, so cookie cutter. Witcher 3 feels like lot of care has been put into everything. A lot of genuine love and attention, cohering around a singular vision, towards making a holistic experience.

So I asked myself, why is this better? Is it the mission design? Level design? The writing? I guess all of it but more that everything feels like it has purpose to it, the flow is perfect. A mission will start to find a person and you get there and they are dead but someone else gives you a hint and you go off. Essentially these are just fetch quests but with great writing and connected very naturally.

Skyrim would have a quest be go to a dungeon and kill a bad dude. then a million variations on that, all in the same dungeons. This game takes that mission, has it lead into another mission, until you see doing 4 or 5 missions all with a connected coherent through line and payoffs. contrast this to open world farming style of just putting out a million individual quests on a list, it is much more elegant and literary.

Last edited:

WellSheet

So you only played the prologue. Fair enough not all games are for everybody and they should not be.

I feel like I was farther in? It’s been so long...I was on the first main Map, after the opening smaller one (sorry I do not recall names) I remember the bigger town to the north, I remember doing some Witcher contract about a house haunting....I remember being in a main mission in caves going throu portals with a blonde/silver haired woman?

oh lord I need to take ginkgo

Arachnid

Best game of the generation. So far at least.
Right behind Bloodborne for me but I wouldn't scoff at someone picking it. Love this game. Recently started my second playthrough since I haven't played since launch and never played the xpacs.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Love how some of the lead women in this have their big ass titties on display that’s my kind of fantasy

Last edited:

Denton

So, anyone invent selective memory eraser yet so I can experience this glory for the first time again?

witcher3_2016_08_12_0r3u3z.png

witcher3_2016_08_27_2gsjyn.png

witcher3_2016_08_25_26quah.png

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Witcher 3 makes Cyberpunk look like such a pile of shit lmao
Sadly, it does. I expected Cyberpunk to pop more, the world has so much potential to look great. There are times when it does, but it's rare. It is just really rough. I could never fully get in to The Witcher 3, but the graphics were one of my big positive takeaways from the game. Beautiful looking game, very immersive and detailed. I remember being blown away arriving at the city of Novigrad. So pretty.

jA46i7a.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Still on my first run that I started a couple months ago while waiting for them to patch Cyberpunk. It’s great. I put it down a bit since I got sucked back into Overwatch. But I need to go back.

I just
found out that Uma was a relevant character to the story
. How far am I?

Exentryk

Still on my first run that I started a couple months ago while waiting for them to patch Cyberpunk. It’s great. I put it down a bit since I got sucked back into Overwatch. But I need to go back.

I just
found out that Uma was a relevant character to the story
. How far am I?
I believe that's around 70% of the way through.

I'm waiting for the nextgen update for my favorite game of all time.

By the time I've finished Witcher 3 and it's dlc the Cyberpunk 2077 should have had it's nextgen update.

Kupfer

Started Witcher 3 three times, everytime I stopped playing, because the game feels exhausting for me. I see why everybody loves it, but it's certainly not my type of game. Hope you'll enjoy it till the end.

Started Witcher 3 three times, everytime I stopped playing, because the game feels exhausting for me. I see why everybody loves it, but it's certainly not my type of game. Hope you'll enjoy it till the end.
Have you tried to play it just focusing on the main storyline? The thing is that the side quests are as good and even better than the main quest..

The map is just flooded with things I know, but the game grabbed me by the balls so hard that I couldn't let go of it's grip.

Last edited:

Miles708

Took me 4 tries for me too.
It's worth it in the end but yeah, you must be in the right state of mind.

Cyberpunkd

Game that dethroned Planescape Torment as my favourite RPG, only took 15 years. A monumental achievement, real shame they couldn’t do the same with Cyberpunk 2077. Hopefully Witcher 4 will be a return to form.

HF2014

Just got it for Nintendo Switch, played yesterday about 30 minutes, and im really impresson how it look and play on it, after playing the PS4 version. Im surprised at the performance, i expect a game that feel like Doom , which was for sure not feeling as good as the PS4 version, and i can sau im just blowned away on how CDPR manage to put it on this console! And the bonus on playing it, i never played the 2 DLC. But wondering, iv start a new game, is at some point in the story, i will have a trigger that will allow me to play both expansion or they will just unlock after i beat the game?

Miles708

Just got it for Nintendo Switch, played yesterday about 30 minutes, and im really impresson how it look and play on it, after playing the PS4 version. Im surprised at the performance, i expect a game that feel like Doom , which was for sure not feeling as good as the PS4 version, and i can sau im just blowned away on how CDPR manage to put it on this console! And the bonus on playing it, i never played the 2 DLC. But wondering, iv start a new game, is at some point in the story, i will have a trigger that will allow me to play both expansion or they will just unlock after i beat the game?
If I remember correctly, the dlcs are triggered as side quests, that become available after some point.
I think it's better to leave those towards the end or directly after completing the main quest.

HF2014

If I remember correctly, the dlcs are triggered as side quests, that become available after some point.
I think it's better to leave those towards the end or directly after completing the main quest.
Great, thanks for the info. Will do that.

Tschumi

Just do everything. It's all well done and beautifully dramatic. I also took my time to soak in all the different locales and such.. it's just a magnificent achievement.

They arent triggered by anything, they will just be there in your mainquest list but clearly visible by color (blue or red) and you will see a logo of the expansion as well to let you know this is the DLC objective you just clicked on. As others said, start those only once the game is done because already Hearts of Stone area...all enemies are 33-35 lvl. They will murder you if you go in any sooner.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Don't sell your starting armor!

Otherwise you will spend several hours trying to find the rando armorsmith you sold it too and buy it back so you can upgrade it.

Speaking about a friend :p

MarlboroRed

One of those games I've been meaning to get back into with another playthrough, but every time I try I feel like I remember most of the big story beats to well to justify committing another 50 to 100 hours into it.

I really wish they'd remaster Witcher 1 and 2, I'd be down playing the entire trilogy from the start again.

One of those games I've been meaning to get back into with another playthrough, but every time I try I feel like I remember most of the big story beats to well to justify committing another 50 to 100 hours into it.

I really wish they'd remaster Witcher 1 and 2, I'd be down playing the entire trilogy from the start again.

I played it day one to death (no DLC tho). So it took me good 5 years and boredom to actually start it again because I thought i still remeber it too well. You will remember parts but actually the story is so good its like watching a movie for the second time. You know what happened but you want to see it get to that point again. And i never played the DLCs because...well they weren't there day one and once they came out, i fell out of the story. I spent 82hrs on main quest now and FINALLY got a chance to experience the DLCs and its great, looking forward to new story arch.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i really enjoyed it but has flaws. despite them it blows my mind how CDPR went from making such a good game like Witcher 3 and shat out Cyberpunk. feels like it's two totally different studios (except from the brain dead NPCs which were also in Witcher 3).

great game but i can't bring myself to play it again any time soon. i rarely ever replay games and i played it 3 times which says a lot. it's been 4 years since i played it but i'll maybe give it another 4-5 years before going back.

Kupfer

Have you tried to play it just focusing on the main storyline? The thing is that the side quests are as good and even better than the main quest..

The map is just flooded with things I know, but the game grabbed me by the balls so hard that I couldn't let go of it's grip.
I did the 3rd time, which was my "best" attempt. I was in like 50-60 hours to a specific quest after which I thought the game was over, but when it wasn't, I just stopped and didn't look back. It was the battle of kaer morhem, just when I found Ciri and thought this will be the final fight. A friend told me, it's gonna be some more hours which I'm not willing to invest (in the moment at least)
Took me 4 tries for me too.
It's worth it in the end but yeah, you must be in the right state of mind.
Maybe I'll get into that state of mind in some weeks/months again and make it through the final hours.
But maybe I should sometime, because I want to play the Blood & Whine DLC.
I hope, they'll drop that next-gen update soon, but I don't think so.

Last edited:

MarlboroRed

I played it day one to death (no DLC tho). So it took me good 5 years and boredom to actually start it again because I thought i still remeber it too well. You will remember parts but actually the story is so good its like watching a movie for the second time. You know what happened but you want to see it get to that point again. And i never played the DLCs because...well they weren't there day one and once they came out, i fell out of the story. I spent 82hrs on main quest now and FINALLY got a chance to experience the DLCs and its great, looking forward to new story arch.
That's the big issue with narrative driven games: Nothing beats that first, blind playthrough. It's far less exciting to play once you know what's gonna happen. And though the gameplay is far from bad, it's never good enough to stand on its own.

So this is me too. LTTP Witcher 3! I bought it last year for cheap when I picked up Cyberpunk from GOG.

Really loving this. First off CDPR is just really good at dialog. Even for the smallest most insignificant side quests, they have good writing. It's great stuff, the ground-up worldbuilding.

The world design is pretty jaw dropping even still. I know they used more saturated colors for a less realistic more fantasy look and it comes across great. Some of the sunsets are just breathtaking.

Tbh I wouldn't mind wandering around and just doing side quests for hours and hours before plunging into the story. Or is it recommended that I progress the story to a certain point before doing this?

Raphael

So this is me too. LTTP Witcher 3! I bought it last year for cheap when I picked up Cyberpunk from GOG.

Really loving this. First off CDPR is just really good at dialog. Even for the smallest most insignificant side quests, they have good writing. It's great stuff, the ground-up worldbuilding.

The world design is pretty jaw dropping even still. I know they used more saturated colors for a less realistic more fantasy look and it comes across great. Some of the sunsets are just breathtaking.

Tbh I wouldn't mind wandering around and just doing side quests for hours and hours before plunging into the story. Or is it recommended that I progress the story to a certain point before doing this?
Feel free to do side quests until you get bored.

Dont want to get you too hyped but the expansions are even better.

Just so you know there is a remaster thing coming up 2nd half of this year that is free for those who already own it.

Last edited:
If you waited so long to play Gaf's Game of The Generation, then it probably would have beed a good idea to wait a bit more for a remaster coming this year.

edit: how does someone type d instead of n 🤦‍♂️

should have checked op's date 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Hopefully they will let me transfer over my save file? That would be nice, playing a bit now and then picking it up again when the remaster comes out for the 100% and DLCs.

Because the game is stunning as is. Art design is through the roof, and at 4K it is really nice.

Last edited:

Numenorean

I have the platinum trophy for this game. My advice would be take your time and relax. Its a very long game

Do all the missions in the region you are. They are the best of the game.

Research into the lore. Its amazing

Admire the landscape, its gorgeous

Take your time to learn your combat style and perfect it. You will thank me later in game

Top Bottom