• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Umineko no Naku Koro ni (Unmarked Spoilers for Episodes 1-4 Only)

I decided to combine all of my impressions from the English VN thread here to form a LTTP. All of this will contain spoilers for all of the first part (Episodes 1 through 4).
I will separate each of my impressions by episode. Get ready for a HUGE WALL OF TEXT.

This is the longest Visual novel I have ever played with each episode taking me around 12 hours on average to finish. Still loved almost every minute of it and will be jumping into Chiru in the very near future.

This picture pretty much sums up my experience with episodes 1 through 4.

znkMZlL.png

Characters:

[1]

Battler is awesome, everyone else is just alright.

[2]

Battler is still the greatest VN protagonist I've come across, even though his "giving up" at the end of the episode made me lose a bit of respect I had for him. I expected him to endure and to not let Beatrice see him sweat.

Kanon = badass. Period.

Shannon & Genji also showed me some skills, so I like them much more than I initially did.

Maria and her "uu-uu" can still go burn somewhere.

Beatrice. When it comes to her, I can't think of a time when I hated an antagonist this much, I just want to see her lose. So evil and vindictive. Soo good.

Everyone else has yet to give me a real reason to like them.

[3]

Battler still has his spot at #1, but Kanon has been knocked down to #4 after Rudolf & Kyrie. Their battle with the Seven Sisters was the highlight of the entire episode. Actually, scratch that, #2 goes to the girl Rika AKA Lady Berkastel.

So, those are my top 5 characters so far.

Maria can still ~Uuu Uuu~ herself into a coma.

Everyone else was pretty forgettable, although I do expect Genji to show some of that power I know he has.

Eva has also fallen to the bottom with her actions.
And as always Beatrice is still the villain I love to hate. But with Lambadelta pulling the strings, it takes a bit of the sting out of her actions because she isn’t the big bad mastermind I thought she was. Even though her Teacher helping her out was to be expected, I would have liked it a bit more if Lambadelta was the spectator she said she was rather than the puppet master.

[4]

There were a bunch of new characters introduced in this episode, so I'll try to just touch on the few that made an impression. While for at least 65% of this episode Battler & Co. were MIA, I have to give it to George and Jessica for their fights with Gaap and Rounoe respectively. Both did ridiculously well, even though I expected the outcome from the start. To see them go down fighting was a thing of beauty.

Angie was alright but she didn't seem like a main character. Too dull

Kyrie's sister was a cliched villain from a Saturday morning cartoon.
Everyone in Angie's timeline was forgettable. Except for her body guard, Amakusa.

Gaap. She seems like the poor man's Beatrice. Nothing about her felt original in any way, she almost seems like she was just an early version of Beatrice that got scrapped during development.

The third member of the Siesta Sisters felt unnecessary. But I have to give them credit when the first two popped up I was like "well crap, here we go again.How could things get any worse." but then the the third showed up and I was like "Well s*it. It's over." lol

One character that I grew to hate immensely was Kinzo, or Goldsmith, or whatever the hell he wants to call himself. He was alright in the first few episodes, even though his constant whining for 'BBBBBBEEEEEEAAAAAATTTTTRRIIIIIIIICCCEEEEEEEE!!!!" got on my nerves almost as much as the ~Uuu~ that's going to be forever seared into my brain. He was pretty much the villain you expected him to be from the very beginning, and that was kind of a letdown. I thought we'd get through the entire game without him being a complete dick.

Lastly, the "Ass nee-chans" were pretty good in this episode, but Sakatarou didn't come off as anything more than a delusional little get's imaginary friend created to escape the loneliness/abuse of her real life. Thus making me see him for what I thought he was. Not real.

Story:

[1]

Right now, it seems like Battler is either super in denial about Beatrice's existence, or there is some elaborate scheme going on to make the player believe she actually does. As of the end of this episode, I don't believe she exists, I just want Battler to find a logical explanation for all the happenings.

[2]

George & Shannon's tale was alright, but it dragged on much longer than it had to. Once we got past that and things started moving, it was very enjoyable. I especially liked seeing Rosa take charge of the group, even if it did end up making her completely paranoid. Battler outwitting Beatrice on the first locked room murder made me want to stand up and cheer. Hated how she completely changed the game when she started refraining from answering questions. Such a dick move.

The "???" for this episode was awesome! When Berkastel said "~niipa"
post-26056-Antonio-Banderas-computer-reac-cWjn.gif

[3]

Starting here, I begin to falter. Things start to get a bit too crazy. So reading the few posts up until I actually finish the episode is worth it.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I honestly set my expectations low because whenever I take GAF's (or anyone else's for that matter) opinion on something being amazing I am usually let down. But this…. THIS. WAS. AMAZING! The beginning was a bit slow, and there were some parts where I was losing interest; but towards the end when Beatrice turned out to be playing you even though she put on the façade of “good witch” Sh*t. Got. Real.

It was incredible that the writers were able to give Beatrice and Battler a common enemy and actually have me rooting for Beato more so than Battler. To have her set up as the good guy only to have her reveal her true intentions right at the last minute was pure “Beatrice”. Similar to the end of (SPOILERS FOR DmC: Devil May Cry) DmC where Virgil does something similar, I laughed for a good 10 minutes because of how much I both did and didn't see it coming.

The only complaints I had were regarding EVA-Beatrice’s eye color being different than regular Eva and the seemingly unnecessary Witch fight. The eye color threw me off because it seemed to be saying “This isn't Eva, this is an entirely different person.” Rather than “This is ‘magic’ Eva”. I can accept it if it happens again, because that would establish it as a fact, but as an isolated incident, it was a bit jarring.

[4]

Ange was pretty meh in my eyes. She didn't seem like much of a main character so the extensive amount of time they put into developing and fleshing out her character/story felt like it went on a bit too long. Especially to have her just "explode" after all was said and done.

The other characters that got a bit too much time in the limelight were Maria (who I still hate) and Rosa (who I now slightly hate). Their little story of mommy wanting her own life, while neglecting her daughter was alright, but even though it made Maria lonely to damn near psychotic/delusional levels, I still didn't feel her character had been redeemed. Especially when Maria went all EVA Beatrice on Rosa.

One ting that did hit me right in the feels was when EVA revealed the reason behind Maria's constant ~Uuu~ing. If that had been ANY other character, I would have been bawling like a baby. But Maria....She's too crazy for me too feel anything towards at this point. Maybe if she hadn't been such an annoying/brat/psycho in the other episodes, I'd have enjoyed the reveal much more.

The most cartoony villain in the entire first "season", Kyrie's sister just screamed "I'M ONLY HERE SO "FUTURE" ANGE HAS AN ANTAGONIST!" Her story just came off as petty, and seems like it's only purpose was to ensure Ange had a "bad guy" to keep her on her toes. Eva had been that person initally, but after she died, I guess they needed a replacement.

Lady Berk & Lamdadelta as seen in the ??? seem like they just want to watch Beatrice's world burn and nothing else. I loved Rika, but to see her in this light kinda makes me want to rethink that. If she and Lambdadelta were opposing forces, I could justify her reasoning, but for them to basically be working in tandem in order to make Beatrice suffer, just seems unfair. I hate Beatrice. But I only hate her in the way you are supposed to hate the villain. Her deceptive ways and evil tendencies make her endearing to me for some reason and every time I see her in her "sad mode" it makes me feel bad. I don't want to hate pitiful Beatrice. I want to hate that evil witch with the creepy evil smile from the end of the 3rd Episode.

Music:

Really good, I'll be getting this soundtrack when I finish the game for sure. The music that plays when someone suspects someone is especially good. I like how it starts out all whimsical, but ends up being this dramatic sounding thrill-ride type melody. Love it.

Lingering questions: (I don't want anyone to answer these, I'm sure I'll get my answers in Chiru.)

[1]

Smashed faces? Why? At least one of those bodies wasn't who they seemed. I'm almost sure of it.

Locked room murders? That seemed to be the theme of this episode, but I'm thinking there will be some logical explanation for all of them.

Everything else was pretty straight-forward. Unless the story takes a ridiculous turn, I think I will enjoy the next 7 episodes.

[4]

What did Ange see at the sailor's house that freaked her out so much?

Loser Flags? Dragonball references, George & Jessica seemingly able to go toe to toe with Beatrice's most powerful furniture? Spontaneous combustion? The hell?

Battler isn't Asamu's son? Although I pretty much called this as soon as I found out that Ange was Kyrie & Rudolf's child. Seriously, if their hair had been different colors, I would have been able to believe they were only half-brother and sister. When Kyrie talked about her son that she lost back in the second episode (I think), I immediately saw a red flag.

One last thing I just thought of. Is Lambadelta, Takano Miyo from the original Higurashi? With the red eyes, blond hair and the fact that she faced Berkastel kinda points to it, but I don't know.

Predictions:

I only have predictions for the last episode and the only scene I am thinking I have figured out is the last Ange scene when Kyrie's sister confronts her on Roukinjima.

Here we go. When Ange got off the boat and told Amakusa not to follow her, he did. Because he was basically a covert op soldier, following her without her knowledge shouldn't have been a problem. Everything goes fine until he spots Kyrie's sister (I've completely forgotten her name) and her goons. Amakusa believes Ange can talk her way out of the situation and decides to hold back. Did I mention he has high caliber sniper rifle with him just in case? Well he does (I think)

Anyway, when all hope seems lost and it looks like Ange is about to die, Amakusa shoots and kills everyone. The reason the goons' guns didn't hurt Ange was because all of them were filled with blanks (Devil's Proof. Don't know how it got done, but there it is.) I think this is the outcome because even though the Sisters have the ability to slice through metal (as demonstrated by Kanon) they choose to change into their stake forms or simply pierce their victims. Ange, being just as delusional as Maria, believes that her friends saved her when in reality Amakusa is just a badass.

It would be so awesome if I could have written that in blue xD

One more thing that's been bugging me is the fact that the "witch" versions of some of the characters are in all capital letters. MARIA EVA ANGE. Is is me, or does when you pronounce it as they would in Japanese does it sound like "My Revenge". Maybe I'm wrong, but it's been on my mind.

If you can't tell, I love this game.

cj_iwakura

Great to see you liked it. 5-8 aren't quite as good, but I still enjoyed them a lot. They definitely have amazing moments.

And regarding Genji, you won't be disappointed

Also, totally play the fighting game(*cough*that I worked on for a year). It has some fun story elements after Episode 4, though not really canon.

I wish they would translate the PS3 version of the game. Same story but it has much better artwork. I think there's a patch out to add the PS3 artwork to the PC version of the game.

And oh my GOD one of your impressions there makes me giggle in anticipation of your ep 5 impressions. I have no idea how you will think about that one concidering ep 5 spoilers:
"Rikas" being the main villains in the next one and they go all the way into the evil territory. The whole Rika thing is pretty much a red herring anyway to make Bern seem like a protagonist. Even tho she admits in ep 1 that she is the cruelest witch in the world :lol.

I wish they would translate the PS3 version of the game. Same story but it has much better artwork. I think there's a patch out to add the PS3 artwork to the PC version of the game.
That's the version I played. PS3 sprites & Voice acting. I don't think I could have it any other way.
It's pretty low-end. My netbook can run it.

Well, mostly.
In that case, I think I will play it. After I finish Chiru of course.

Napalm_Frank said:
And oh my GOD one of your impressions there makes me giggle in anticipation of your ep 5 impressions. I have no idea how you will think about that one concidering ep 5 spoilers:
You mean one of my predictions?

Dio

Banned
Maybe, idk. You're being kinda cryptic.
I didn't want to post about it in this thread, but I trust people are OK with just not clicking on spoilers.
The goats eating away at the island in Ep 8 and shit like that. They were you. You, the people who wanted to tear apart the mystery, to find out the 'truth' of Rokkenjima no matter what the cost and without regards to anyone's dignity. The joke I was making was that since you're a goat of course you'd think Chiru was shitty, since it denied you of what you wanted.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
That's the version I played. PS3 sprites & Voice acting. I don't think I could have it any other way.
I'm guessing them cropping the BGs is the reason you didn't see what Ange was surprised about seeing then. It was down visually in the PS3 version without mentioning what it was.

Box

I didn't want to post about it in this thread, but I trust people are OK with just not clicking on spoilers.
The goats eating away at the island in Ep 8 and shit like that. They were you. You, the people who wanted to tear apart the mystery, to find out the 'truth' of Rokkenjima no matter what the cost and without regards to anyone's dignity. The joke I was making was that since you're a goat of course you'd think Chiru was shitty, since it denied you of what you wanted.

Lol.

I know. I should have just let it go but I had a hunch you would say something stupid.

Chiru's just a little too crazy for me to appreciate beyond the initial wtf. I don't care at all about "the truth".

Before I jump into the next episode, I thought it'd be fun to give my top 5 favorite and least favorite characters as well as the ones I find to be the least trustworthy. Just to see how my opinions change when I get some answers. I'm only including characters who have been in at least 2 episodes.

Favorite

1. Battler
2. Beatrice
3. Bernkastel
4. Ronove
5. Rudolf & Kyrie

Least Favorite

1. EVA Beatrice
2. Maria
3. Kinzo
4. Virgilia
5. Eva

Most Suspicious

1. Nanjo
2. Lambadelta
3. Hideyoshi
4. Kanon
5. Genji

I wonder how my opinions of all these characters will change over the course of the next few episodes.

Dare I ask why Hideyoshi is suspicious? Cause he is the most likeable of the adults? :lol. Reminds me of my uncle.

I remember suspecting Nanjo just because he's a doctor. I dunno why :lol.

And dude you can't hate on EVA! She was awesome villain <3.

That's EXACTLY why he's suspicious to me. xD

It's always the ones who are made to be the most likable that end up being the worst. There have only been a few instances in a story where the coolest/nicest/least suspicious supporting character doesn't turn out to be a total bastard.

Classic misdirection. Make Maria, Beatrice, Kinzo and Virgilia the worst looking people to take the suspicious off of the guy who's being a bit too facetious for everything that's happened.

I hate EVA for the same reason I hated Maria. A loud brat who throws tantrums to get what she wants. That's not a good villain. That's my niece xD

I hate EVA for the same reason I hated Maria. A loud brat who throws tantrums to get what she wants. That's not a good villain. That's my niece xD

That's exactly why she is so awesome! She is exactly the kind of person you could imagine Eva being as a brat. Give her magical powers and you have a recipe for a disaster.

She is like the Joffrey of Umineko.

That's exactly why she is so awesome! She is exactly the kind of person you could imagine Eva being as a brat. Give her magical powers and you have a recipe for a disaster.

She is like the Joffrey of Umineko.

Yeah, but I think the game already has a perfect villain in Beatrice. EVA draws too much attention with her "look at me, I'm evil!" behavior. Having multiple villains is alright, so long as they don't try and overshadow the real star of the show.

Now that I think about it, she really is the Joffery of Umineko. Evil kid who's just evil for the sake of it. Hopefully Battler won't end up like Eddard Stark.

Wiktor

Beato's whole episode of trolling that ended with "Witches don't reform" was one of the most satysfing things any storytelling medium has ever done for me.

Edit: Never mind. Episode 3. Loved her for that.

Also, I've just started the 5th episode and it seems like I'll never get used to how slow the beginnings to every episode are.

cj_iwakura

Was that in the first 4 episodes? I don't remember it. If it's not, spoiler tag that. Wouldn't want to read too much into it.

Also, I've just started the 5th episode and it seems like I'll never get used to how slow the beginnings to every episode are.

I really think you'll like the direction Battler's character goes in.

Beato with her hair down is best Beato.

Berkenstel is becoming less and less of a character I like. All those years trapped in Higurashi When They Cry's world has made her kinda cynical and sadistic.

Great to see someone else enjoying Umineko. Chiru goes in a direction not every fan of the first 4 episodes liked, but it's certainly quite a ride.

Rereading and analyzing everything after finishing (...or reading someone else do so in my case) changes A LOT too.

Furudo Erika? Furude Rika.

Detective Rika? Oh I think I'm going to enjoy this episode.

Also, is there any female character (besides Kumasawa) in this game that isn't either stacked to all hell or a loli?! xD

I'm guessing this episode will be full of stupid just like the 3rd.

There's a bit too much going on and WAAAYYY too many characters are being thrown into the mix. I'm just hoping Battler dons that cape I've seen him in in the intro and tears everyone I pieces. Lady Bernkastel as well. She and Erika aren't the Rika I used to know. So they can burn along with Lambdadelta.

8 hours in and I haven't gotten to the good parts yet? This does not bode well for the rest of these episodes.

Top Bottom