• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted 4 is a mediocre game that is really pretty.

Violet_0

Banned
honestly, this sounds dangerously close to heresy

we should bind a heavy stone around the OP's ankles and throw them into a river. If they float, they're obviously a witch

Mossybrew

I think it's a lovely game tbh. I have some problems with it, with the biggest being that the combat is too paired down for its length, but a lot of the criticisms people have don't ring true to me. I don't want horrid arbitrary scrap or xp to collect to make exploration meaningful, I thought the world was its own reward with the little dialogue and notes to find that actually tie in to the narrative in an elegant way. It's the best game in the series at providing a true adventure feeling, too imo. You have a very tactile relationship with the levels, all the locations feel properly fleshed out.

I think ND do need to balance the openings of their games better though, there has to be a better solution to easing players into the narrative than witholding the more complex (and fun) game systems for several hours. All of their games have this issue and Uncharted 4 suffers the most from it, which for a pulp adventure should not be the case.

But I still love replaying it, for the same reason I do the whole series. A really fun story, excellent combat, and capturing the feel of a true adventure without any extraneous bullshit or open world tedium.

Great points. I played Uncharted 4 right after Rise of the Tomb Raider, and it was such a breath of fresh air after TR's bloated collectathon, largely pointless leveling and upgrade system, and complete garbage generic characters and story.

You might not care for the style of game Uncharted is, but it knows exactly what it wants to do and executes it almost perfectly IMO.

It felt more like a chore. Maybe it was me, but I could tell that the developers wanted the players to jump around the stages to gain advantages over the enemies but it just felt sloppy. I just ended up finding a corner and blasting fools.

You're just not that good at the game is all. What can a really good player play the game and it's a different game as opposed to just "finding a corner and blasting fools". You do that in any game and it'll make the game seem like the gameplay sucks.

That's really the Uncharted series in a nutshell.

They're not bad games at all, but they're average shooters hidden beneath amazing visuals, set pieces, and a well done story. It's a shame, because I felt like TLoU made significant improvements in the gameplay department compared to Uncharted.

Also, it should be a crime to call the climbing and jumping in Uncharted "platforming". Seriously, why do people gloss over how terrible it is?

Did you guys even play uncharted 4? Its got the best gameplay of any of the Uncharted and arguably any third person shooter. I can agree if you didnt like the story or have issues with the pacing, or even if you thought the platforming was weak, but gameplay is its biggest strengh, unless of course you aren't good at it.

I absolutely adore the game but to me it's the least replayable Uncharted behind 3. The pacing was an issue since it was so long but as an Uncharted fans they closed the story in a great way.

I felt u4 wasa return to form after u3 which was solid but not great. I particularly enjoyed some of the mid game shooting sections in u4.

And yes u4 is very pretty.

acevans2

All a matter of personal preference I guess. I never play other TPS and think they're better than Uncharted in any way. Uncharted, A Thief's End in particular, is so comfortable and entertaining to play. Perfect feel.

Slythe

One thing I still don't understand is why they got rid of tossing back grenades. That was a great addition to the series that added a lot of good chaos to fights.

I played U4 on hard and found myself so frustrated when grenades were tossed my way and I had to tap circle trying to get away, winding up stuck to walls constantly.

HvySky

Uncharted is a series that is undeniably gorgeous, yet somehow gets a pass on pretty average gameplay mechanics. The shooting has always felt stiff and unsatisfying to me, and the endless climbing on shit gets pretty old after a while too. I'm not a big fan of Naughty Dog's output PS3 and onward though, so I didn't expect Uncharted 4 to blow me away.

newbong95

In uc4 when drake jumps , does the left rumble of ds4 vibrates more than the right one ... or is my controller broken ?

samn

I want to play this again but I can't stomach the thought of replaying the first couple hours. It's like trying to replay a Zelda game.

BouncyFrag

I want to play this again but I can't stomach the thought of replaying the first couple hours. It's like trying to replay a Zelda game.
Replaying that salvage section at the beginning when you know it's not anything exotic or cool is a downer. At that point I up and traded it in and I usually hold onto most games because I like replaying them.

The thing that bugged me the most was how useless the grappling hook was. I don't know how many times I went 'It's a shame I can't use this grappling hook' to shorten the tedious climbing bits.

I think it's a great game and has the second best story in the series after UC2, but the Crushing difficulty is OBJECTIVELY a mess. So many insane difficulty spikes. They should've tested that shit way more

Git gud bro,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5rOD59D5wE&index=1&list=FLRtz2hWw2nHVPnUCd4xWqxg

I wish I had the time to montage my own videos, so many clutch moments. UC4 has to be one of the most satisfying games I ever played. I would say this game is one of the best action adventures ever made.

Uncharted definitely isn't that "fun" of a game. But I loved following the story

I actually found the combat more engaging than the story. Yeah there was a few cute moments with Nate/Elena, but overall I don't think the story was nearly interesting enough to justify the game's pacing.

The combat wasn't top tier, but I'd consider it good. My main issues with it are the floaty gunplay and the encounter design. Most of the fights feel very similar in the ways you can approach them. They're all just big combat arenas. It didn't have the meticulously designed smaller engagements/setpieces of Uncharted 2 interspersed between the combat arenas and those obnoxious climbing sections. I really missed those. Each fight actually felt unique in Uncharted 2.

Platforming in Uncharted "works" in the space of it's combat, but as a standalone mechanic it's just boring and tiresome. The game would've been more "fun" if it had more combat.

MrS

Banned
Agree with OP. The game is a slog because the moment to moment gameplay is bad. The gunplay is decent but the gunplay in the original Max Payne is better than in Uncharted 4. The antagonist is bad. The story fell flat for me (zero fucks given about Sam, Nadine, Rafe) and the
double cross
was quite obvious. Visually it's great but I hated the gameplay. Fuck QTE's too, they are executed far worse in U4 than in any of the games mentioned below..

Its got the best gameplay of any of the Uncharted and arguably any third person shooter.
Could not disagree more. The gameplay of Max Payne 1, 2 and 3, The Last of Us, Vanquish and Resident Evil 4 are far, far superior. The list of TPS games better than Uncharted 4 is vast.

DaciaJC

Gold Member

From the description: "For the record I died here 79 times."

Uploader goes on to say in one of the comments, "Thanks, this section is probably one of the most insane things I witnessed within a video game. To me it seems like the more open environments also makes this difficulty by bullshit by design and this chapter is one of those examples."

So it does sound kinda like a mess, but admittedly I haven't played the game on Crushing myself.

Megatron

Haha no way. If you want to look at mediocre GOTYs go back to 2014 with Shadow of Modor and Dragon Age Inquisition

im really confused by this post. Even if 2014 was bad, That doesn't mean that 2016 can not also be bad. 2013 and 2015 and it looks like 2017 were all so much better. For my money, 2016 was just terrible. I would take 2014 over it any time. Sunset Overdrive, Bayonetta 2. Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8. I liked all of those better than anything in 2016. Doom didn't do anything for me, I'm not into multiplayer only games, so no overwatch. Uncharted 4 should have been exactly what I wanted, (loved the first two when they released) And u4 isn't a bad game, mediocre is probably too harsh, but it's not special. It's good, but shouldn't be a best game of the year, in my opinion.

I wouldnt say its mediocre, but yeah from a pacing perspective it felt like a step down from uc3. I think uc 2 and 3 had way too many boring drawn out fire fights. 4 fixed the combat alot to the point where it didnt feel like a chore, but there were so many very slow and uninteresting climbing and walking segments, instead of hitting a good balance of the good of those two elements, they just gave you way more one than the other. The open areas looked god damn amazing, but they felt like a chore to go through whereas most of uc2 and 3 kept the momentum moving foward from section to section. The flash backs while telling an interesting back story should have just been cut scenes because i felt they grinded the pacing to a hault.

Omerta

I hate this kind of thread - people who agree with OP can list all the things they dislike about the game, they can whip each other up into a froth of negative goodness... point and laugh at the thing we all dislike.

People like me who enjoyed the game but have absolutely zero short term memory go "I quite liked it".

Top Bottom