• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Xenoblade Chronicles is EXCELLENT (Playthrough ongoing; please mark spoilers!)

Neiteio

Geez, about time Neiteio...

I really do hope you give it a go with Japanese voices.
I'm 30+ hours in and absolutely adore the British voice acting. Why would I switch to Japanese, a language I don't understand (and a language I've always found very grating in anime)? You people! :p

moolamb

Okay I forgive you in this instance. British voices are acceptable :)

EDIT: Maybe I should give a reason for going Japanese - more intensity and expression.

I believe Japanese voice actor ('seiyuu') culture is much more developed than the Western world thanks to a long history of anime. There's a higher respect for the profession and an understanding of nuance that goes beyond standard acting. Voice actors aren't actors who also do voice acting - voice actors in Japan are just voice actors. It's like people who have trained and worked their whole life in BBC radio plays. It's a different skillset.

Basically I feel they do a lot more with their voices, compared to the standard of the Western world. And you don't have to understand their words in order to feel the difference. In fact, it can be an advantage in a fantasy situation.

Give a try in your next playthrough maybe :)

Astral Dog

Glad you are enjoying it, high Entia tomb is
before you enter the Mechonis?
i dont remember, i recommend to play other gmes between,its a big game, i stopped playing for two months before continuing

the pacing is fine until the second half, honestly, when it becomes a problem.

First time I have heard this but I think I agree. I stopped playing around the second half of the game after enjoying the first half of the game (- the stupid rabbit). I was not too attached to the plot/characters though but the combat was fun.

The game opens with a really exciting prologue sequence that takes place a year before the game proper begins. You play as Dunban (the other human in Shulk's Final Smash), and you learn the basics of the game. There are some fun battles here, and tutorials that are succinct, well-written and clearly illustrated. It's all short, sweet, and to the point.

Then, it fast-forwards a year and you're playing as Shulk. If you follow the marker -- an arrow at the top of the screen, telling you where to go and how close you are -- you'll arrive at your next destination quickly. (You can turn off the arrow, if you wish, but it's nonintrusive and easy enough to ignore, so I leave it on.)

The first town, Colony 9, can be overwhelming at first, but its layout is actually quite simple. Talk to everyone during the day and night, and don't fret over the huge pile of quests you quickly accrue. They're all optional, their rewards are nothing groundbreaking, and you'll naturally complete many of them by simply following the story, battling the enemies you see and picking up the items lying in the field along the way.

Soon you'll have more characters, and you'll learn to use the Monado. Shit will hit the fan, several times in a row. And then the larger quest begins.

All told, it's very well-paced, IMO. It doesn't feel pretentious or self-serious like so many RPGs these days. It respects you intelligence and it respects your time, with fast-travel, the ability to freely adjust the clock, and more. And there's a lot of warmth and whimsy to the game. It's such a complete world. It really transports you to another place, figuratively speaking. :)

That's all good to hear - especially being well-paced. I think I will give it a try. I've heard too many good things to ignore it.

I'm not sure if someone already mentioned it, but I recommend switching out party members often and changing the person you're playing as, too. A lot of people make the "mistake" of keeping Shulk, Reyn, and Sharla the entire game, and imo, that's really boring and not a very good setup. It's too safe and can make some fights even harder than they would normally be. Dunban is a better tank than Reyn if you load him up with Agility gems - he'll dodge like 90% of physical attacks, so you don't need a healer (boot Sharla to the curb) for most fights and even most bosses. Shulk is good, but he's not required for anything really (although I typically did bring him in for bosses as a "just in case I need to use the Monado" type of situation). Melia is really fun to play as and VERY powerful. Riki is a blast to play as and he's hilarious - he's great at DoTs and has a very nice conal healing move. And the seventh party member is really cool and probably my favorite character in the game.

Hope you continue to enjoy it as much as I did. :)

Also, British voices FTW! And I do think Xenoblade's world is one of the most original in any game (at the very least other JRPGs).

chadboban

Thanks Chad. I'm loving this game so much. And I agree on all of those environmental details you mentioned. Definitely the coolest setting I know of in a JRPG.

I didn't know you could see
Colony 9
from
Colony 6
, though. That's amazing!!

Yep you totally can. Just googled and it turns out someone actually posted a pic of it

Monolith really planned out their locations well. I still cant believe the scale they managed to achieve on the Wii's hardware.

Seik

Banned
Oh yeah, a Neiteio hype thread! :D

Better late than never, hope you'll have a great time, man. I ended up liking it to a point I still think it's the best JRPG since Chrono Trigger, if you end up the same I guess it'll be quite a hype thread! Glad to see you're liking it so far.

Did you finish W101 at least? I'm serious mad at you if you didn't! D:

random25

You're really feeling it!

tumblr_inline_nb5htixtaM1ql9ytm.png

Jawmuncher

I'm on my first playthrough as well and really enjoying it for the most part.
Hoping to beat it within the month.

chadboban

Glad you are enjoying it, high Entia tomb is
before you enter the Mechonis?
i dont remember, i recommend to play other gmes between,its a big game, i stopped playing for two months before continuing

From my memory I think its
High Entia Tomb
followed by
Valak Mountain
and then
Sword Valley

HiroTSK5

Yep you totally can. Just googled and it turns out someone actually posted a pic of it

Monolith really planned out their locations well. I still cant believe the scale they managed to achieve on the Wii's hardware.

I can't believe I never noticed that before, that is Godlike design, eh.

I believe the half-way point is
the first visit to Prison Island, after the Monado gets unshackled.

Zebetite

Banned
I loved Xenoblade by the time I finished it, and unlike most games, my opinion of it has only improved as I put more and more time between me and my playthrough. It's a superlatively good game. I loved the sense of adventure and wonder, and the battle system encouraged me to tinker around a lot with talent and gear specs for everybody, which means it had to have been pretty cool!

I've been making my way through it lately and have been having a blast, plus it's been getting me pumped up for X (though I'm sure I have at least another 9 months to a year before that releases). I'm currently progressing through
Valak Mountain
and have found myself underleveled for the first time in my playthrough. Guess I rushed through areas a bit too much, so going back to do some sidequests, which is a good chance to improve the affinity of the characters I haven't been using as much either.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I mentioned this in the Smash Bros. thread but going Shulk reveal to the game does help one put together a nice little early game surprise, though even then there are other signs.

I do like how Metal Face keeps quiet for the first ten hours or so as to not ruin said surprise.

Jawmuncher

I mentioned this in the Smash Bros. thread but going Shulk reveal to the game does help one put together a nice little early game surprise, though even then there are other signs.

I do like how Metal Face keeps quiet for the first ten hours or so as to not ruin said surprise.

The trailer actually made the fact that he didn't talk pretty fun for me.
I wasn't piecing much together and was curious just what the reason was.

ozfunghi

Started this a couple weeks ago and stopped, got to where
That kid in the buggy goes off on his own to his colony and you have to find him
and I'm not really feeling it yet. I mean its good but not good enough for me to spend 80 more hours on it good. I don't know, does it change a lot? I'm really having trouble getting into any jrpgs that use a turn based system or just even strategy based ones like this. I just can't stay interested. I'm even having trouble staying interested playing Pokemon.

So, you just finished the prologue... You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Neiteio

I'm really itching to see Metal Face again. He steals every scene he's in. Click here to see my favorite cutscene so far.

(Spoilers at the link, BUT you can watch the first five seconds to hear how subdued Shulk sounds in the game vs. the Smash trailer. Just stop watching after five seconds!)

Oh wow, is that the city down in the catch basin on the Bionis' leg? It never even occurred to me what was beyond the valley when I was down there. :-O

Oh yeah, a Neiteio hype thread! :D

Better late than never, hope you'll have a great time, man. I ended up liking it to a point I still think it's the best JRPG since Chrono Trigger, if you end up the same I guess it'll be quite a hype thread! Glad to see you're liking it so far.

Did you finish W101 at least? I'm serious mad at you if you didn't! D:
I haven't finished TW101 yet. I was really, really enjoying that game for the first seven or eight chapters, then I just burned out. I know I'm near the end of the game. I tried going back a few weeks ago, but I couldn't figure out how to beat the very first enemy of the next chapter (a flying enemy that casts a force field of sorts). So, I turned it off and decided I'd come back later, lol.

I think I'll fare better with Xenoblade, since Xenoblade is more of a go-at-your-own-pace sort of game that also allows you to venture off the beaten path more. Which is to say, I don't think it'll exhaust me like TW101 did.

To be clear, though, I like character action games. I've beaten Metal Gear Rising like six times between PS3 and PC, lol.

I was going to make a LTTP for this... :( Damn.
Hey man, you can still make your own, but you're more than welcome to post your thoughts here. :)

Ludovico

I just want to throw this out there: Neiteio, you're one of my favorite posters. Your enthusiasm for games is unmatched, plus your 999 thread finally got me to play through what is now one of my favorite DS games ever.

So I'm just going to completely skip the OP, because I can't afford to dive into an 80+ hour rpg right now. BUT, I'm saving this thread for later. Enjoy the playthrough!

JCX

Just took a break form playing and saw this thread. I'm at
Galahad Fortress
and I still feel far from the end of the game. Keep getting distracted by sidequests.

Just took a break form playing and saw this thread. I'm at
Galahad Fortress
and I still feel far from the end of the game. Keep getting distracted by sidequests.

Don't worry - the game is very front loaded in terms of sidequests. The last half of the game has very few compared to the first half. :) And yes, you are still far from the end of the game. I'd say a little over halfway (maybe 60-65%).

Neiteio

Oh man, I was rereading my own OP and I see I forgot to mention one of the coolest features in the game: the ability to see the future via the Monado.

For those who don't know: When an enemy is about to KO you or one of your allies, the screen will flash blue and you'll see a vision of the imminent attack, as well as who it KOs. Then, when time resumes, there'll be a countdown bar at the top of the screen. You have to intervene before the countdown reaches zero to shatter the bar and "change the future." You can do this by casting a spell that shields you and your allies, or by healing the target so they have enough HP to survive the attack, or by inflicting Break and then knocking the enemy over with a Topple attack, and so on.

Sometimes there are multiple fatal attacks incoming, and it's super-satisfying to quickly shatter one bar after another. It's an amazing system that adds a delicious layer of drama and urgency to combat.

I just want to throw this out there: Neiteio, you're one of my favorite posters. Your enthusiasm for games is unmatched, plus your 999 thread finally got me to play through what is now one of my favorite DS games ever.

So I'm just going to completely skip the OP, because I can't afford to dive into an 80+ hour rpg right now. BUT, I'm saving this thread for later. Enjoy the playthrough!
I really appreciate the kind words, Ludovico. :) Whenever you feel like playing Xenoblade, be sure to read my OP, since it's a spoiler-free primer on how to play the game.

Also, I'm also wary of long games these days, but I'm glad I dove into this one, since it's very fulfilling whether you play it in bite-sized chunks or weekend-long binges. :)

Neiteio, what do you think of the soundtrack?
Oh man, the soundtrack is AMAZING so far. Some of my favorite tracks include:

Gaur Plain (of course!)
Frontier Village - Night
One Who Gets In Our Way

Frontier Village, btw, is definitely one of my favorite locations in the game. My jaw was on the floor when I saw how colorful it was inside. It's all warm and cozy with all of the cuddly Nopon everywhere. They're such a funny people. They're how I picture GAF (minus the occasional meanie)! :-3

Frontier Village, btw, is definitely one of my favorite locations in the game. My jaw was on the floor when I saw how colorful it was inside. It's all warm and cozy with all of the cuddly Nopon everywhere. They're such a funny people. They're how I picture GAF (minus the occasional meanie)! :-3

Some people hate Frontier Village because of the layout and it's hard finding NPCs for sidequests (which is a valid complaint), but I loved that town. It was really cool looking and gave me a Zelda-vibe the instant I entered it.

olimpia84

Sometimes I wish I could experience this game for the first time, it's definitely one of my favorite RPGs of all time and easily the best out of last gen.

Neiteio

Some people hate Frontier Village because of the layout and it's hard finding NPCs for sidequests (which is a valid complaint), but I loved that town. It was really cool looking and gave me a Zelda-vibe the instant I entered it.
It's a simple layout, but it can be overwhelming trying to talk to everyone there. I would talk to everyone on one floor and then access the clock to fast-forward 12 hours and talk to everyone again. There are a LOT of people there, so it takes a while. You also have to remember the underground area and lake surrounding the base of the tree.

And I agree that it can be tricky finding certain NPCs in there. I had to use a wiki to remember where Cherri was located so I could complete her quests.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed talking to all of the Nopon and learning about their culture. And it's just so gorgeous inside the tree. I go back there for fun every now and then. :-D

Zolbrod

Saotrl Marsh's nighttime transformation.
You can actually see Colony 9's location all the way from Colony 6.
Meteorite showers at Eryth Sea
Realizing that the sky in Makna Forest wasn't actually the sky but was actually Eryth Sea right above you, hell you can even see the silhouette of Eryth's cliff, seriously amazed at how long it took me to realize that one.
The rainbows at Makna waterfalls
The view of the Mechonis upon exiting Tephra Cave
Mechonis' glowing red eyes during the nighttime
Seeing the Mechonis' looming silhouette during the lightning flashes in a thunderstorm.

There's so much more but honestly I'd be here forever if I continued on.

This.
All of it.

I simply cannot think of any other game that has such a completely unique and utterly amazingly-realized world.
And they're going to have a hard time topping this with X.

Neiteio

By the way, I went back to Gaur Plain the other day, and I found a new area I hadn't visited before. It was a spiral-shaped hill in a dusty valley. There were a lot of spiders in the area. And when I got to the top of the hill, and approached the cliff... Well, let's just say you'll shit yourself if you have arachnophobia.

I also mentioned this previously but the OP of this thread ruined my weekend by linking the 1080p youtube channel of all in game cutscenes. This is the Monado's power.

Just reminded me how much I love this song, which makes an appearance about every 45 minutes in the cutscenes..
Oh man, that wailing guitar is end-of-DKC2 cheese, I love it. And yes, the cutscenes are addictive. :-D

I haven't finished TW101 yet. I was really, really enjoying that game for the first seven or eight chapters, then I just burned out. I know I'm near the end of the game. I tried going back a few weeks ago, but I couldn't figure out how to beat the very first enemy of the next chapter (a flying enemy that casts a force field of sorts). So, I turned it off and decided I'd come back later, lol.

I think I'll fare better with Xenoblade, since Xenoblade is more of a go-at-your-own-pace sort of game that also allows you to venture off the beaten path more. Which is to say, I don't think it'll exhaust me like TW101 did.
)

Same thing happened to me with TW101. Think I have three more operations to go, but I've pretty much had my fill with the game. I greatly enjoyed what I played and I'm satisfied with stopping there. Can't really think of another game I liked that also made me say "alright, that's enough". Hopefully Bayonetta 1/2 aren't too exhausting ;)

Awesome LttP, btw. Haven't played Xenoblade, but this makes me want to pick it up. And I probably would if Destiny didn't drop tomorrow...but I'll keep it in mind. Sounds like it would be an awesome game to play during a drought.

Neiteio

Same thing happened to me with TW101. Think I have three more operations to go, but I've pretty much had my fill with the game. I greatly enjoyed what I played and I'm satisfied with stopping there. Can't really think of another game I liked that also made me say "alright, that's enough". Hopefully Bayonetta 1/2 aren't too exhausting ;)

Awesome LttP, btw. Haven't played Xenoblade, but this makes me want to pick it up. And I probably would if Destiny didn't drop tomorrow...but I'll keep it in mind. Sounds like it would be an awesome game to play during a drought.
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to Bayonetta 1/2. :) I know you really got into Metal Gear Rising. I think you and I might take better to character action games where the camera is closer to the character. Makes it easier to "breathe," so to speak, which keeps those games from getting exhausting.

And yeah, Xenoblade is the perfect game to play when you anticipate a dry spell. Definitely keep it in mind. :)

Neiteio

Good luck in the
High Entia Tomb! The boss battle at the end of the tomb is tough!
Any tips? And I wonder who the boss will be. I've been eagerly waiting for Metal Face to come back, but it doesn't seem like the time or place for him to show up again...

Slixshot

Banned
Any tips? And I wonder who the boss will be. I've been eagerly waiting for Metal Face to come back, but it doesn't seem like the time or place for him to show up again...

Just a heads up... you're not halfway :) I'm further than you and I don't think I am either. Also shits about to get REAL

Edit: Tip:
Focus one target at a time. If you need to, go and grind for a bit in the dungeon before a second attempt.

random25

Stick with your best lineup. Shulk can be pretty useful/useless in that battle depending on how yo go about it.
It will be a 3-on-2 battle as far as I can remember. One is against an Entian while the other is a Telethia.

Neiteio

What's really cool about playing Xenoblade after seeing the Shulk reveal trailer for Smash Bros. is you start seeing all of the references right away. Like Shulk's shrugging animation and thinking pose, or his crouching stance and lunging animation with his sword. Back Slash and Air Slash are actual moves in Xenoblade, too. So are the Buster, Shield and Speed arts, and I suspect the Jump art in Smash Bros. is adapted from Purge in Xenoblade, since Shulk leaps into the air surrounded by a green aura when he first uses it. The way they represent Dunban and Riki in Smash Bros. is also spot-on. And many of the sound clips are straight out of the game.

Playing Xenoblade has made the great Smash reveal even greater. :)

Just a heads up... you're not halfway :) I'm further than you and I don't think I am either. Also shits about to get REAL

Edit: Tip:
Focus one target at a time. If you need to, go and grind for a bit in the dungeon before a second attempt.
Oh man, sounds like a battle with multiple adversaries. I'll definitely do some leveling. I'm around Lv. 42 right now, I think.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Neiteio I need you out of the
high entia tomb
and at
prision island
, yesterday.

Damn it guys, I had other stuff to play... first thing tomorrow morning, get back to Xenoblade again.

Also, I always remember this little gem when talking about the OST, it creates such a cool atmosphere. Fucking brilliant.

Neiteio

Neiteio I need you out of the
high entia tomb
and at
prison island
, yesterday.
Ha, I appreciate you cheering me on! :)

I'm nearly positive I'll see Metal Face again at Prison Island, due to the recurring visions Shulk keeps having about a black tower, so trust me, I'm eager to get there ASAP. :)

Top Bottom