• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP(?) Xenoblade Chronicles

spekkeh

Banned
I'm going to be the only person on here to say it, but I didn't enjoy Xenoblade at all

I'm still a bit conflicted about it. It's a bit like FF13 in that so far (10 hours in), it's a few small story bits with looong bouts of copy paste battles. When they said 'we have to go through the mines', I was like :///
Even with the more action oriented battles it's starting to become a bit repetitive. Well if it was turn-based I would've stopped playing by now. I guess what I'm saying is, not enough cities.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm still a bit conflicted about it. It's a bit like FF13 in that so far (10 hours in), it's a few small story bits with looong bouts of copy paste battles. When they said 'we have to go through the mines', I was like :///
Even with the more action oriented battles it's starting to become a bit repetitive. Well if it was turn-based I would've stopped playing by now. I guess what I'm saying is, not enough cities.

You're pretty much past that at this point - there's no other mines that you need to worry about (that was just for the two colonies) and it opens up a lot more really soon. There's two cities right after one another coming up, with both being rather gorgeous (especially the area around the 2nd).

Keep at it. It's well worth it.

spekkeh

Banned
Cool :). I like everything else about the game, so there's that. I do hope I don't need to go back to grind for Xord though :/

1stStrike

Banned
Cool :). I like everything else about the game, so there's that. I do hope I don't need to go back to grind for Xord though :/

What're you having difficulties on with Xord? I honestly didn't find him that tough and I did no real grinding. I got a little side tracked on the plains, but certainly nothing extreme. All I remember was that going into that fight I just killed his minions and then when my combo meter was charged up, I used it to topple him and wail on him a bit. Don't even need to take him down to 0 life if I recall correctly.

ajim

Okay, just beat the game and... here comes the impressions.

Overall, pretty amazing game. Production values were high, music was fantastic all the way through, and I really grew attached to (most of) the characters.

However, some people mentioned in this thread that it could've used some additional editing and I agree with that. I got to what I thought was the ending about 3 or 4 times and it just kept going on and on with more and more plot thrown in. I honestly was a bit tiresome of having more areas thrown at me with shit like "collect 4 of these, find the item to unlock this" and so on.

In fact, I was only level 70 when I was
in the heart of the Bionis
and in order to get through that I would've had to grind for at least an hour or two, if not longer. I honestly just didn't have it in me at that point, so I just tossed in some insta-level 99 cheat codes and powered through the rest of the battles. I was still interested in the story all the way through, just tired of fighting stuff. So, in that respect, it could have been probably about 10 hours shorter and not lost anything.

That being said, it was quite a trip and I was satisfied with the way the game ended - which rarely happens in RPG's in my experience. I really enjoyed the journey and the fact that there's a NG+ at the end of it was a nice surprise, so I may play through it again someday.

Also, since I took a ton of screenshots I decided to make a video capturing some of the best/most emotional moments towards the end of the game. If you haven't played the game, this will contain major spoilers, so don't watch it - but, if you have beaten the game, I hope you enjoy it!

Click the image below to check it out:

Hey bloke, that was a really good video. Liked/Fav'd it! Lovely to watch!

<3

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I still haven't got very far at all into my copy, but I intend to keep playing at least until i get to this.

Some of (if not the best) video game music I've ever heard. Like a glorious combination of Metroid Prime and Sonic. Could listen to it all day.

1stStrike

Banned
Hey bloke, that was a really good video. Liked/Fav'd it! Lovely to watch!

<3

Thanks! Glad you liked it. There's a lot of strong, emotional moments in Xenoblade for me and I tried to convey that in the video.

I still haven't got very far at all into my copy, but I intend to keep playing at least until i get to this.

Some of (if not the best) video game music I've ever heard. Like a glorious combination of Metroid Prime and Sonic. Could listen to it all day.

That song is fairly far into the game, so you have a ways to go yet. That being said, I've noticed a lot of people love Mechonis Field, but it never did much for me. I'm much more attached to this and this. I'm guess I'm more into chill music when I'm running around. I was purposely avoiding battles in these areas just because I was enjoying the music so much :p

spekkeh

Banned
What're you having difficulties on with Xord? I honestly didn't find him that tough and I did no real grinding. I got a little side tracked on the plains, but certainly nothing extreme. All I remember was that going into that fight I just killed his minions and then when my combo meter was charged up, I used it to topple him and wail on him a bit. Don't even need to take him down to 0 life if I recall correctly.

I guess it was just a case of calling it a night and trying again the morning after. Had him on my first try without really being in danger. I reckon it was the camera that was my greatest enemy yesterday.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Only 200 more hours for you to go OP! This game needed some editing...

High five! The locations and music are awesome, but there's no hiding how much of a slog it was to get through to the ending.

a slog? I had no problems getting to the ending in around 50 hours

and the environments were meant to be vast

luca1980

Banned
So many fond memories about xenoblade.
Sure some areas were rough yet most of its adventure feel was untopped
Can one play it on wii u without relying on wiimote or without classic controller?
This would fasten the time I buy a wii u

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So many fond memories about xenoblade.
Sure some areas were rough yet most of its adventure feel was untopped
Can one play it on wii u without relying on wiimote or without classic controller?
This would fasten the time I buy a wii u

Wii U backward compatibility turns the system into a Wii. It's just like the Wii was with GCN backward compatibility.

Wii games have to use Wii accessories and don't support any WiiU stuff. So you will have to use the remote + nunchuck or classic controller.

Ollie Pooch

That song is fairly far into the game, so you have a ways to go yet. That being said, I've noticed a lot of people love Mechonis Field, but it never did much for me. I'm much more attached to this and this. I'm guess I'm more into chill music when I'm running around. I was purposely avoiding battles in these areas just because I was enjoying the music so much :p
Yeah, so I've heard. Seems like this game has some incredible music throughout. So important to me, most of the games I've loved this gen have been because of the music (Sonic Colors, Skyrim, Journey, Ni No Kuni and Velocity are a few that come to mind) so really keen to get further into this one.

1stStrike

Banned
Yeah, so I've heard. Seems like this game has some incredible music throughout. So important to me, most of the games I've loved this gen have been because of the music (Sonic Colors, Skyrim, Journey, Ni No Kuni and Velocity are a few that come to mind) so really keen to get further into this one.

I find it odd that you mention games with great music and Nier isn't in there :p

Valkyria

Banned
I'm now playing it. I'm half way through, in
tomb of the high entia

I just had a fight where shulk did not damage at all , now I know why but there was no explanation before.

I find the combat a bit boring, so what party members do you recommend for making it a bit more exciting, I'm tired of Shulk.

tomb of the high entia

I just had a fight where shulk did not damage at all , now I know why but there was no explanation before.

I find the combat a bit boring, so what party members do you recommend for making it a bit more exciting, I'm tired of Shulk.

You shoulda used the
most recent power you earned, the one that removes auras. I had to constantly cast that one.
. I just passed that juncture of the game, 30 hours in and still kickin!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
tomb of the high entia

Melia is probably the most involving character. And there was an explanation for that fight, remember what Shulk says at the beginning of the game -
the Monado can't hurt people.

You shoulda used the
most recent power you earned, the one that removes auras. I had to constantly cast that one.
. I just passed that juncture of the game, 30 hours in and still kickin!

He's not referring to that fight yet, but yeah, he'll need that or Melia's art.

PetrCobra

I just recently beat this game, and I've got a save at the point of no return. Thinking about returning there and levelling all the way up to the level cap. Some unfinished quest are waiting for me, as well as super-strong monsters. Then I'll probably make a new endgame save for a new playthrough sometime in a far future.

Over 130 hours so far btw.

Ollie Pooch

I find it odd that you mention games with great music and Nier isn't in there :p
I actually don't even know what that is, though I've heard it mentioned around here!

A game can be totally not my 'thing' and if it has great music I'll slog through it.

Seik

Banned
Fucking Xord.

QFT

xenoyesl6owq.png

1stStrike

Banned
I actually don't even know what that is, though I've heard it mentioned around here!

A game can be totally not my 'thing' and if it has great music I'll slog through it.

It's an action RPG with a fantastic storyline and pretty much uncontested as the best RPG soundtrack of this gen (it even beat Xenoblade on GAF).

Give it a whirl if you have a PS3 or 360 - it's like $10 - $20 these days.

Valkyria

Banned
Thanks for the advices!

Ollie, Nier for my is in the top of this gen, games like this is what gaming is about.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I'm approaching the end of the game and I just wanted to post how wonderful I think it is.

A near perfect blend of being an open world whilst concurrently, and perhaps somewhat paradoxically, having a more focused experience than other RPGs with open world elements.

I preferred exploring Xenoblade's open world areas more so than recent games in the Elder Scrolls series, Dragon Age and Mass Effect. The thrill of running into a monster way too powerful as you explore somewhere that your party should not be is always exhilarating (coming back and killing that monster after you level up is always satisfying).

My major gripe is that the game should cut back on the number of quests and make those left more interesting (e.g voice acting and interesting mini stories). To my mind, such quests could sit alongside a reduced number that just encourage you to explore the stunning environments.

Anyway, I love this game. Looking forward to finishing it off over the next day or two.

Edit: Playing on a Wii U (just wanted to mention that for some reason).

Lucid07

If I play this on the Wii U with BC do I have to use the Wii remote or is it a game that I can play with the pro controller?

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
If I play this on the Wii U with BC do I have to use the Wii remote or is it a game that I can play with the pro controller?

You have to use either (i) the Wiimote; or (ii) a Wii Pro Controller (that is, not the Wii U Pro Controller) plugged into a Wiimote.

Celegus

tomb of the high entia

I've been messing around with almost everyone, and they're all pretty fun to play as. Definitely don't stick with Shulk the whole time. I haven't even seen a Mechon in a while so he hasn't been in my party lately. Sticky Riki is my main man though.

It's a pretty fantastic game. If you're not hooked within the first few hours then I don't know what to tell you :p

The battle system seems pretty cool, but so far way too many damn cut scenes. That's the thing I've hated the most about this gen. Cut scene overload.

I'm only about an hour in but I'm mildly impressed.

rando14

Just finished this game yesterday, clocked ~65 hours but I didn't finish very many side quests at all.

...Wow, fantastic game. Best RPG on the Wii by far.

Spoiler thoughts about the game (including endgame)

Wait wut, the whole thing was/is a computer simulation? *head explodes*

Also damn I was hoping there would be post-game exploration, I had planned to go back and do more sidequests after defeating Zanza but there's no postgame :(

1stStrike

Banned
The battle system seems pretty cool, but so far way too many damn cut scenes. That's the thing I've hated the most about this gen. Cut scene overload.

I'm only about an hour in but I'm mildly impressed.

Weird. That's usually how RPG's convey story. I'm guessing you don't play games for the story. If that's the case, you should probably avoid RPG's then.

Just finished this game yesterday, clocked ~65 hours but I didn't finish very many side quests at all.

...Wow, fantastic game. Best RPG on the Wii by far.

Spoiler thoughts about the game (including endgame)

Wait wut, the whole thing was/is a computer simulation? *head explodes*

Also damn I was hoping there would be post-game exploration, I had planned to go back and do more sidequests after defeating Zanza but there's no postgame :(

Err, in regards to the spoilered stuff, no you're confused.
It wasn't a computer simulation. It was a real world that was being monitored by Alvis, the onboard computer of the station where the Doctor's resided before they blew up the universe and became gods. Everything was real, just in the end they showed how everything came about. The twist was supposed to be that before they were gods, they were just normal scientists.

Top Bottom