• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ys 8

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I loved the 2D games back in the day, and wanted something to play on Steam Deck while I watch my 1 year old. So I picked this up in the summer sale but never fired it up til now.

Right off the bat: the title screen and theme are a goddamn 10/10

The game starts and just fuckin goes. Your boat crashes and you’re stuck on an island with a bunch of strangers and your homie. Build a base and find a way off the island. There are barriers that require x amount of survivors to move. So find survivors who get jobs at base camp and open up more of the island. Simple concept, great execution.

Combat kinda has a rock paper scissors thing with enemies being weak to one of your 3 characters weapons. It’s snappy as hell and fun to set up combos. You will constantly be switching characters.

Runs great at 60 fps on Steam Deck. I thought I would just be playing it there but I wound up playing alot on the TV too. Graphics are nice and clean but it is obvious this was designed as a Vita game

OST is amazing. This team always brings the heat

Overall this game is a fuckin treat. I love that this series knows exactly what it is and doesn’t try to do too much. Fast combat, dickhead bosses, world class OST’s. The 3d games kinda remind me of a stripped down Xenoblade which isnt a bad thing. I have heard mixed things about Ys 9 but I will probably pick it up as soon as I finish this.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Great game, maybe the best in the series. Definitely better than 9, although traversal in 9 was much better.

Enjoy OP, it's a wild ride.

Sojiro

Loved this game, honestly one of the best Ys soundtracks out there, so many good tunes. I really enjoyed my time with this, the combat feels fantastic. I did also recently pick up Ys IX but haven't started it yet. I am currently working through Nayuta (which I have also been enjoying), but I have heard IX is not as good as VIII, but we will see whenever I get to it.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Loved this game, honestly one of the best Ys soundtracks out there, so many good tunes. I really enjoyed my time with this, the combat feels fantastic. I did also recently pick up Ys IX but haven't started it yet. I am currently working through Nayuta (which I have also been enjoying), but I have heard IX is not as good as VIII, but we will see whenever I get to it.
Hmm, i dont like YS 9 because of the character design is kinda meh for me. Also the visual style is kinda clashed with many characters are colorful but the world is bland washed colors much.

Whitecrow

Banned
All time favourite JRPGs.
Character tropes kinda bugs me, but besides that, gameplay, story and OST are god tier.

Chastten

Banned
Loved this game. Only played Origins and Oath in Felghana before this, so it was nice seeing how the series had evolved.

And while I'm looking forward to X, I would also like to see some of the other games made available for more modern platforms. I would love to have a physical release of VI and VII.

lachesis

8 was the pinnacle of past system from Ys 7, Celceta, 8, to 9. Definitely one of my favorite of the series! I liked 9, but it felt a bit too same old system… with nice addition of vericality. I liked the story of 8 better as well.

Side character stories are a bit too campy in a way - but main storyline had good weight to it. I actually teared up when Dana gets the letter from her friend.

Ys X is one of my most anticipated game of upcoming year!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This is currently on sale for $14 on Steam and GOG, don't know about others.

KiteGr

I'm still waiting for a good discount for Ys 9.

Ys 8 is fucking amazing. Even with the bad animeish voice acting and anime characters, I managed to ge engaged in the story in ways I wouldn't expect.
The combat is "typical of Ys games", and by that I mean "fucking amazing".

I didn't had my Deck at the time I played it, but I can see this fit like a glove there.
Now if only they made the Grandia remasters compatible....

Top Bottom