• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luc Bernard's Interview : LBP Wii Game hinted

We caught Luc Bernard for an interview about all his projects : Eternity's Child, Manufactured Beauty, Imagination is the Only Escape and much more.

That is a basic babelfish translation, i gonna work on a english version soon.

Do you have already ideas of names or plays which you would wish to carry out in collaboration with others?

I will occupy myself of the artistic direction, the history and the game design for a play in collaboration with a producer who is ten years old of seniority in the industry, and which recently left a title using Unreal Engine 3.

You have just awaked our curiosity: do you have the right to say some more?

Yes: that will not be on Wii (laughs).

On a console with truths graphics HD and all? (wink)

Yes of the HD, I dribble about it already.

With Alten8, you have, if I understood well, other projects that Eternity' S Child and Imagination is the Only Escape. It is well that?

I signed for five plays with Alten8 on Wii and DS.

Can you speak to us about the title which you already evoked with us previously, that which would include a online with 16 players?

I did not sign in an editor, therefore I can say what I want.

Then one wants all to know.

It is very simple: I would like to make another set of platforms 2d, except which it would be only online, and for Wii, considering this console does not have too anything like play online...

Thus possibilities a little in Little Big Planet (on PS3)...

In fact yes, inspired of Little Big Planet, except that Wiimote would allow still better things.

Indeed when one sees the possibilities in a play like Zack & Wiki, one thinks that one can badly make not things. You also think of an editor of maps, enigmas and tests around the physical engine?

Completely, but there would be level conceived already well and a complete history mode. But it is necessary still that I find an editor to finance that. I think that the editors préfèraient that I make a simulation of breeding of rats...

All will thus depend on the success of Eternity' S Child.

Yes, it is for that besides that EC. is delayed, because I hope to leave it only when the opinions of the gamers are positive.

The players are indeed often rather pitiless toward the plays which they regard as "left before the hour"...

I would say that they all are pitiless! (laughter)

To finish some with your idea of LBP-like project: how do you imagine the use of Wiimote? Pointing on elements of the decoration to interact with them, use of the detection of movement?

A little like Eternity' S Child: I see Wiimote like object of interaction and Nunchuck to move the character.

In Eternity' S Child, the pointer is used for directing and making draw the angel which accompanies Angel (that made a little odd said like that...), but one connait neither his name yet, nor his history. Secrecy?

It is necessary well to maintain secrecies for the exit of the play!

Concerning the movements of Angel: will the impression which it "steals" is given by animations still a little rigid or then make really more than to jump?

It does not have wings, but new a video should show the corrections carried out on this subject.

Thus I imagine that the impression of lack of nervousness in the gameplay is still something which can evolve/move?

Eternity' S Child will not be revolutionaire as for its gameplay; it will be in some kinds a play of platform oldschool next-gen. It is necessary to play there to understand, it is less fouilli that one can think it.

Will level lifespan, Eternity' S Child be parcourera in how long, at speed pépère?

In 8 hours; while going like a patient, 6 hours. The limit of the 40 Mo does not enable me to make a long play, unless walking in the same decoration during hours, which I think would not attract anybody.

Is Rose Princess always in development or it was put on side for the moment?

It is always of topicality. I always make this title with Megan McCauley (note: British singer). It was renamed Manufactured Beauty now.

Indeed when one sees the possibilities in a play like Zack & Wiki, one thinks that one can badly make not things.
Yes. I do think that when I see the possibilities in a play like Zak & Wiki. I think exactly that one can badly make not things.

besada

Banned
So someone not remotely connected to Media Molecule says he might do an LBP-like game for the Wii.

Yeah, great thread, good title.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I give Angel a hard time for starting threads daily that link back to his site (he's done it again folks!), but c'mon. It IS a French site.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If LBP does as well as I think it should, I'd expect plenty of 'inspired' games to pop up. Indeed, the press buzz alone probably has other devs wondering.

In fact, I'm surprised others haven't rushed out imitations in advance of LBP, at least on certain platforms (like web-based etc.).

besada said:
So someone not remotely connected to Media Molecule says he might do an LBP-like game for the Wii.

Yeah, great thread, good title.
Anyone who thinks that LBP could come to Wii is retarded and should get off the internets. Thread title is sufficient in explaining his idea.

Oh God ... :(

This guy should stick to talking about the 3/4 DS/Wii projects he's trying to pimp for now.

I'd love an LBP inspired game for Wii or something, but somehow I see no likelyhood of it coming from this guy. And if I want LBP, I'll probably just get LBP.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
jarrod said:
Nintendo and Sony were actually in bidding war for what eventually became LBP. Ditto for what became flOw.

Hmmm, I did not know that. What other big bidding wars has there been? I remember Nintendo wanting the Harry Potter franchise which would have been awesome.

Mamesj

Banned
Indeed when one sees the possibilities in a play like Zack & Wiki, one thinks that one can badly make not things. You also think of an editor of maps, enigmas and tests around the physical engine?

:lol

editor of maps, enigmas, and tests around the physical engine are EXACTLY what come to mind when I think of Zack and Wiki.

Jiggy

All will thus depend on the success of Eternity' S Child.

Yes, it is for that besides that EC. is delayed, because I hope to leave it only when the opinions of the gamers are positive.
So, since opinions of the gamers will probably never be positive, considering that atrocious-looking "gameplay" video seen in the last thread about this guy or his works, maybe it'll never be released?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
tribal24 said:
slow day today it seems, doesnt sony own the ip though?

Yer......... dont they own Media Molecule as well now?

Anyways it isnt LBP from what i can gather but they are making a different game and just copying aspects of LBP for their own game.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
AnGeL LiveWii said:
That is a basic babelfish translation, i gonna work on a english version soon.
i5prb4.gif

xaosslug

jarrod said:
Nintendo and Sony were actually in bidding war for what eventually became LBP. Ditto for what became flOw.

i thought the story went something like: Media Molecule initially sought out Nintendo with their very, very early idea for LBP and Nintendo's reaction was something like "um, okaaaaaaay... pass." MM's next stop was Sony who was sort of intrigued, but wanted them to flesh it out a little bit, and after a presentation; their socks were blown off...

batbeg

Id. said:
Who's this guy?

A nobody. And a tool. I fully look forward to a weak LBP clone made my a developer who admits is goal is "art before gameplay" and shows some horribly derivative ideas (see: Holocaust DS, Eternity's Child, Stupid Fucking Interviews)

Sharp

Uh, I thought this was going to be fantastic news like LBP actually being ported to Wii despite the Wii's totally inability to handle the kind of infrastructure the game requires. Instead, I get this bullshit? What the fuck, OP.

JCreasy

gofreak said:
If LBP does as well as I think it should, I'd expect plenty of 'inspired' games to pop up. Indeed, the press buzz alone probably has other devs wondering.

In fact, I'm surprised others haven't rushed out imitations in advance of LBP, at least on certain platforms (like web-based etc.).

Considering how robust LBP promises to be, I don't think a dev studio can just crank out a copy at a whim.

And remember, LBP stands out because it looks amazing doing what it does. Honestly, no will admit this but if LBP looked more pedestrian while offering the the gaming mechanic, I don't think it would have nearly the same amount of buzz.

All the customization is legitimized by the amazing look of it all.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Part of the draw with LBP is that you can build your own stages and levels and upload them for people to use freely...

How exactly would this work on the Wii?

Firewire

Banned
jarrod said:

Nintendo was approached and turned them down. I'm not sure if it was ever floated to MS, but Sony took it!

Safe Bet

Banned
Thread Title:

Thread Starter:

AnGeL LiveWii
(Today, 03:43 PM)
Reply | Quote

hokahey

jarrod said:

This is the first I had heard of this, and it seems to contradict Reggie's reaction to the game at E3.

stilgar

Safe Bet said:
Thread Title:

Thread Starter:

AnGeL LiveWii
(Today, 03:43 PM)
Reply | Quote

Yeah lol if he haz Wii in his name he's biased hur hur

Not sure there's the slightest hint, though.

theultimo

xaosslug said:
does Luc Bernard have anything to do with LBP...? o_O
Nothing. He basically said he wants to make a Wiiware game in the same feel as LBP, NOT LBP itself.

Babelfish confusion, yay...

theultimo said:
Nothing. He basically said he wants to make a Wiiware game in the same feel as LBP, NOT LBP itself.

Babelfish confusion, yay...
Not really, it's the guy who ran the interview posted the thread. Just trying to get hits.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'll translate the interview. I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Bernard at this point, but I am a fan of translating french. It sucks being bilingual since birth but not having an opportunity to frequently speaking one of your languages...

Translation follows
------------------
Question: If I understand correctly, for Eternity's Child you worked effectively with a small group from alten8. How small? Fewer than ten people?

Luc Bernard: With Alten8, I have fewer than 5 people. In fact, more than 4. In terms of full-time (and I do mean full-time, 24/7) we only have two workers.

So then, you probably don't have any internal communication difficulties! Here's a real elephant-in-the-room; you didn't have any trouble getting yourself hooked up, despite your young age (21)?

Yeah, everyone hates me and treats me like an idiot (laughs). The industry pretty much sucks for me. Half the industry hates me and the other half hopes I've created them a winning franchise.

But for now, you're just working with Alten8, right?

Yeah, for now... but I hope to work with other game designers, especially ones with experience, so I can concentrate on the artistic side and the story side without totally directing the game myself.

Do you already have some names or concepts for games that you'd like to make with others?

I'd like to do the artistic direction, the story, and the game design with a producer who has been in the industry with ten years and has recently put out an Unreal Engine 3 title.

Can you tell us more about this game idea?

Yeah, it won't be on the Wii (laughs)

On an HD console then? (winks)

Yeah, on an HD console. Wow, I'm spouting off already...

With Alten8, if I understand correctly, you have projects other than Eternity's Child and Imagination is the Only Escape, right?

I'm signed for 5 Wii and DS games with them.

Can you tell us about the game you told us about before that has 16 player online?

I don't have a press guy, I can say whatever I want.

Then we want to know everything!

I want to make a 2d platform, but online-only, for the Wii... since that console has basically no online games.

So, like Little Big Planet?

Yeah, like Little Big Planet... except that the Wiimote will open up great new possibilities.

Since we've seen stuff like Zack and Wiki, we sort of think that developers can't go wrong [with the Wiimote]. Have you thought about a map editor, physics puzzles, or enigmas (--I'm not familiar with the term "enigmas".)

Yeah, totally... but it would have a level-based structure and a full story mode... but I need a studio to finance this. I think most studios would prefer that I do a rat-raising simulation!

So, everything pretty much rides on the success of Eternity's Child?

Yeah, totally. That's why my other projects are delayed, because I can't put them out until gamers have a positive attitude bout my work.

Gamers really don't have any patience for games that get released without being polished, hey?

I'd say that ALL games are released before being fully polished (laughs)

So, to clue up discussion about your LBP-like project; how do you image the Wiimote would be used? Interactive point-and-click with the environment elments? Motion controls?

A little like Eternity's Child; the Wiimote as an interaction driver and the Nunchuk to move around.

In Eternity's Child, the pointer is used to steer and pull the angel that accompanies Angel (that's funny to say!)... but we don't know the angel's name or his back-story. Is it a secret?

You need to keep some secrets before the game comes out.

About Angel's movement; is the impression that he "flies" caused by the sort of stiff animations... or can he actually do more than jump?

He doesn't have wings, but a new video to be released will show you how his jumping works.

I imagine that the lack of "nervousness"/tension in the gameplay is something that will end up changing by release?

Eternity's Child will not have revolutionary gameplay. It'll be very similar to a next-gen oldschool platformer. You need to play it to understand it. It's not so complicated as many people think.

At its current state, how long is Eternity's Child?

It'll be 8 hours... if you play like a madman, 6 hours. The 40 megs doesn't let me make a super long game without reusing sets for hours... which I don't think anyone would like.

The game is engineered in a heavy way--I think the best translation here is "has heavy physics" but it's an awkward sentence--(which seems a little strange when you watch the video) and is sort of like a shooter in some moments. I think the game is inspired by the Brothers Grimm.

The "red" theme of the game and the use of love as a thematic element, visible in screenshots, is it recurrent in the game or is this a specific level?

This chapter of Eternity's Child is all about love.

Will there be more chapters? How many!?

Maybe there will be one more. I'm not sure, but definitely no more than three and nothing is planned yet.

So about the rumor that Imagination is the Only Escape (DS) is banned; in general, we see these sorts of subjects in cinema. Do you think video games can have as much influence in this domain?

Of course. People play more games [than watch movies], so it's an excellent medium to speak about these things.

Is "Rose Princess" still in development or is it postponed for now?

It still exists. I'm doing this game with Mega McCauley (editor: a british singer). It's now called "Manufactured Beauty".

It's pretty nice. I like the cel-shading

I don't think a low-budget game can be done any other way... and of course I'm a fan of cel shading.

Did you like Wind Waker?

You could say it made me a gamer. It's probably the most beautiful game ever created. It's magnificent, I'd love to make a game so beautiful. I hope that "Manufactured Beauty" will approach that level. To be honest, the Wind Waker is my inspiration. Manufactured Beauty won't come out until it's that beautiful!

The game takes place in Paris. The rest of its inspiration is the music of the area, the local S&M culture, and burlesque

Do you already have someone composing the music?

Yep. Same guy as Eternity's Child (editor: Sean Beeson)

Is it for WiiWare?

Yeah, but I haven't asked nintendo yet. With this game, we could say that I've decided to directly attack the theme of "music".

You have such a ... excited style

Yeah, everyone is going to really dislike me.

Is there anything you hate about video games and want to change?

FPS! I'm fed up with FPS! I'm fed up with realism, which is why I prefered 16 bit games.

So this is why you had the idea for the GBA Eternity's Child?

Definitely... back then there was no system like XBLA or WiiWare.

So would you like to port Eternity's Child to PSN?

Well, I'd like to make PSN games. Sure I'm interested. I'd even say that I'd do nothing but PSN games if I could.

You'd toss the Wii aside?

The PSN has limitless possibilities. It has no 40 meg limit. I could make a 1 gig game if I wanted. Of course. If a studio proposed me a Wii DVD game, I'd make nothing but DVD games for the Wii!
------------------

Personal commentary: What a nutcase.

I don't see what differentiates this guy from the random who registers for a video game forum, pops in with a demo of his Multimedia Fusion game, and then says "I've got so many ideas! I'm going to write a letter to Square-Enix to see if I can make Final Fantasy XIV!!!"

Top Bottom